WW Division Once GSP Moves To MW

MABFanForLife

First, this topic will only be relevant if GSP manages to defeat Dan Hardy in his upcoming title defense and if GSP will be making the move to MW after defending the title again. Whether he will or not is, to my knowledge, unknown.

However, should GSP defeat Hardy and then vacate the title in order to move up to MW, this will put the UFC in quite a predicament in determining who shall fight for the vacant title.

Currently, only one top-ranked fighter seems a good possibility of fighting for the vacant title: Jon Fitch. Since losing to GSP, he has brought in three straight wins. Another win before GSP vacates the title would easily put Fitch back into title contention.

However, finding an opponent to fight Fitch for the title is the trickier part.

The only other top-ranked fighter that could possibly fight Fitch would be Koscheck. However, to my knowledge, much like the Anderson Silva/Lyoto Machida predicament, Koscheck and Fitch won't fight eachother.

After Koscheck, the list gets really short. Thiago Alves has yet to fight since losing against GSP at UFC 100. Unless Alves racks in a win against another top-ranked fighter (perhaps a re-match against Koscheck?), Alves can't be in line for a title shot yet.

The same is true for Anthony Johnson. Though a potential future champion, Johnson still needs a win or two against a top-ranked fighter before deserving a title shot.

Martin Kampmann is on his way back up after losing to Paul Daley. Yet, again, he still needs another win or two against top competetion. Swick hasn't fought since losing to Hardy.

Diego Sanchez is on his way back up to WW. However, he'll still need a few wins in order to be considered for a title shot. Perhaps a rematch against Koscheck?

Then there's BJ Penn. Granted, the thrill of trying to defeat GSP to gain the title may keep BJ in LW. However, if BJ would wish to make history as the first champion in UFC history to hold two belts at the same time, GSP vacating the title would be the best time to go for it. Granted, he'd be competeing against much bigger opponents. However, BJ certainly has the skillset and experience to fight and win against much of the WW division.

This leaves only two other potential opponents for Fitch in a match for the vacant title. The much better choice, both fight wise and financial wise, would be Matt Hughes should he win his fight coming up. Matt Hughes would be a huge draw for the UFC, as well as a great test for each men as far as their wrestling abilities go. The other choice could perhaps be Paul Daley. With two KO/TKO victories in the UFC, another impressive win could easily could put Daley into consideration.

Granted, this is all based on 1) GSP defeats Hardy; 2) GSP vacates title. Should Hardy win, I'd easily expect him to defend his title either against Fitch, Hughes, or Koscheck over the summer.

But, my prediction: GSP vacates title after defeating Hardy; Fitch vs. Hughes in August or September.

No.

Wow, what an intelligent response.

While I think Hughes vs. Fitch would be a possibility, ultimately I don't think it would end up happening because Hughes isn't an elite level fighter anymore. I think Daley vs. Fitch would be a better matchup and a better draw for the UFC.

That being said, I still think the best fight with the two best fighters would be a rematch between Fitch and Alves.

Wow' date=' what an intelligent response.

While I think Hughes vs. Fitch would be a possibility, ultimately I don't think it would end up happening because Hughes isn't an elite level fighter anymore. I think Daley vs. Fitch would be a better matchup and a better draw for the UFC.

That being said, I still think the best fight with the two best fighters would be a rematch between Fitch and Alves.[/quote']

Whatever. Keep making up your dream fights. It depends who wins and who loses.

Why would GSP just drop his belt? Even if hes just fighting guys that are no where near as good as him, hes making astronomical sums of money for it. Hes no where near retiring, and hes at the top of the welterweight division. Even if he moved up to middleweight for a bit, whos saying he'd drop the belt? BJ Penn tried at GSP, and didnt drop his belt.

No.

Why would GSP just drop his belt? Even if hes just fighting guys that are no where near as good as him' date=' hes making astronomical sums of money for it. Hes no where near retiring, and hes at the top of the welterweight division. Even if he moved up to middleweight for a bit, whos saying he'd drop the belt? BJ Penn tried at GSP, and didnt drop his belt.[/quote']

That's the whole point of the thread man. It's meant to be hypothetical.

Hypothetical? I dont see any what ifs in GSP moving up to middleweight and dropping his belt. Read what he posted.

GSP and his camp have all but confirmed that they will be moving up to MW within the near future and that GSP will not remain the WW champion so that he can focus on fighting solely at MW without having to alter his weight cutting between WW and MW.

GSP and his camp have all but confirmed that they will be moving up to MW within the near future and that GSP will not remain the WW champion so that he can focus on fighting solely at MW without having to alter his weight cutting between WW and MW.

"Oh god, oh god, we're all gonna die."

Well that sucks. Well, hello Paul Daley.

"First, this topic will only be relevant if GSP manages to defeat Dan Hardy in his upcoming title defense and if GSP will be making the move to MW after defending the title again. Whether he will or not is, to my knowledge, unknown.

However, should GSP defeat Hardy and then vacate the title in order to move up to MW, this will put the UFC in quite a predicament in determining who shall fight for the vacant title."

That sounds like a hypothetical to me.

"First' date=' this topic will only be relevant if GSP manages to defeat Dan Hardy in his upcoming title defense and if GSP will be making the move to MW after defending the title again. Whether he will or not is, to my knowledge, unknown.

However, should GSP defeat Hardy and then vacate the title in order to move up to MW, this will put the UFC in quite a predicament in determining who shall fight for the vacant title."

That sounds like a hypothetical to me.[/quote']

Yo whatever. Im allowed to chuck in my opinion.

i want a bj penn alves fight not for a belt but for like a #1 contender spot ... those r the 2 best fighters in that weight class besides gsp ,,, if diego wins put him against fitch for a number contender fight then the winners of each fight will move on to fight each other ,,, never mind kos ,, i dont know where that guy came from saying he is #1 contender ,,, like really alves gsp and paolo thiago owned him ,,

my prediction after all this is ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ALVES as new champ for a long time

First' date=' this topic will only be relevant if GSP manages to defeat Dan Hardy in his upcoming title defense and if GSP will be making the move to MW after defending the title again. Whether he will or not is, to my knowledge, unknown.

However, should GSP defeat Hardy and then vacate the title in order to move up to MW, this will put the UFC in quite a predicament in determining who shall fight for the vacant title.

Currently, only one top-ranked fighter seems a good possibility of fighting for the vacant title: Jon Fitch. Since losing to GSP, he has brought in three straight wins. Another win before GSP vacates the title would easily put Fitch back into title contention.

However, finding an opponent to fight Fitch for the title is the trickier part.

The only other top-ranked fighter that could possibly fight Fitch would be Koscheck. However, to my knowledge, much like the Anderson Silva/Lyoto Machida predicament, Koscheck and Fitch won't fight eachother.

After Koscheck, the list gets really short. Thiago Alves has yet to fight since losing against GSP at UFC 100. Unless Alves racks in a win against another top-ranked fighter (perhaps a re-match against Koscheck?), Alves can't be in line for a title shot yet.

The same is true for Anthony Johnson. Though a potential future champion, Johnson still needs a win or two against a top-ranked fighter before deserving a title shot.

Martin Kampmann is on his way back up after losing to Paul Daley. Yet, again, he still needs another win or two against top competetion. Swick hasn't fought since losing to Hardy.

Diego Sanchez is on his way back up to WW. However, he'll still need a few wins in order to be considered for a title shot. Perhaps a rematch against Koscheck?

Then there's BJ Penn. Granted, the thrill of trying to defeat GSP to gain the title may keep BJ in LW. However, if BJ would wish to make history as the first champion in UFC history to hold two belts at the same time, GSP vacating the title would be the best time to go for it. Granted, he'd be competeing against much bigger opponents. However, BJ certainly has the skillset and experience to fight and win against much of the WW division.

This leaves only two other potential opponents for Fitch in a match for the vacant title. The much better choice, both fight wise and financial wise, would be Matt Hughes should he win his fight coming up. Matt Hughes would be a huge draw for the UFC, as well as a great test for each men as far as their wrestling abilities go. The other choice could perhaps be Paul Daley. With two KO/TKO victories in the UFC, another impressive win could easily could put Daley into consideration.

Granted, this is all based on 1) GSP defeats Hardy; 2) GSP vacates title. Should Hardy win, I'd easily expect him to defend his title either against Fitch, Hughes, or Koscheck over the summer.

But, my prediction: GSP vacates title after defeating Hardy; Fitch vs. Hughes in August or September.[/quote']

he wont vacate the title..he will hold on 2 the title and fight anderson silva for the middleweight title..just like bjpenn

why would gsp go to mw, he would get killed by bigger guys, anderson even vitor would destroy him embares him and send him back down a less prittier and broken fighter destroyed by the first round knock out he would get from both of these guys, hyperthetical is no excuse for silly ideas.

Yo whatever. Im allowed to chuck in my opinion.

That you are, and I can see where your comming from, but if you look at it technically it wouldnt make sense for GSP NOT to drop the belt. He has to put on a TON of muscle to compete at MW and i dont think it would be a good idea to hop back and forth from WW to MW with his height and build. If he's gonna make a run at the MW title or immediatly fight for it then hes gonna have to make a commitment to stay there. Anderson can get away with weight hopping and so can Couture but they have body styles that can fit both weight classes

why would gsp go to mw' date=' he would get killed by bigger guys, anderson even vitor would destroy him embares him and send him back down a less prittier and broken fighter destroyed by the first round knock out he would get from both of these guys, hyperthetical is no excuse for silly ideas.[/quote']

It's not hypothetical at all, GSP wants to challenge himself and cement his legacy as one of the best fighters in the history of the sport, he's been absolutely dominating people at welterweight (he's won his last 21 rounds against elite contenders). I don't think he'd get killed by MW, especially if he continues to add muscle. You don't think that GSP could take these guys down when he takes down Rashad Evans (205lb) in practice all of the time?

i want a bj penn alves fight not for a belt but for like a #1 contender spot ... those r the 2 best fighters in that weight class besides gsp ' date=',, if diego wins put him against fitch for a number contender fight then the winners of each fight will move on to fight each other ,,, never mind kos ,, i dont know where that guy came from saying he is #1 contender ,,, like really alves gsp and paolo thiago owned him ,,

my prediction after all this is ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ALVES as new champ for a long time[/quote']

i think bj, kos, fitch, and alves are the 4 i would put in the picture, at some point if fitch and kos are friends they are going to have to fight each other if they want the belt. i'd say bj vs fitch and a rematch of alves vs kos, winner of those 2 fights fights for the belt, i see fitch being the champion in the end.

why would gsp go to mw' date=' he would get killed by bigger guys, anderson even vitor would destroy him embares him and send him back down a less prittier and broken fighter destroyed by the first round knock out he would get from both of these guys, hyperthetical is no excuse for silly ideas.[/quote']

Fail, anderson didn't have a problem going to LH then again he still hasn't fought a true top 5 in the division (I dont care if forest had the belt at one point i don't think he was ever that good). And bj would have good success at WW if it wasn't for gsp, im not saying gsp can go in and woop anderson, but i dont think he will get dominated in the MW division, i see him beating belfort just because i don't think belfort is mentally as tough

Nice thread. It's nice to see someone thinking about what would happen in the WW division when GSP leaves which is inevitable. He has said he would make the permanent move because he won't be able to drop back down. He doesn't do weight changes like BJ or Silva. He wants to be in the best possible shape at 185. He will most likely weight around 205 before his cuts.

He has always said that he was never a very big WW because he didn't want to cut a lot of weight. It's unhealthy and it saps your energy and he wants to have a long career. Now due to the better diet and increase in muscle he is getting much bigger. He will now be one of the biggest WW when he faces Hardy. If he continues to gain weight he knows he will not be able to fight at WW because of the health effects so he will make a permanent move to MW and vacate the title.

I see the belt changing hands a lot between Kos, Alves, Fitch, and Semtex. Or maybe Rory Macdonald in the future.

HYPOTHETICALY speaking... Had to punch, sorry.

Fitch v Alves is rumoured to happen, and Kos v Daley as well. The winners would be the INTERIM Champion while GSP could see if he would be able to compete with bigger dudes. If yes, the Interim becomes the undisputed. If not GSP fights for his belt again.

• 3 weeks later...
It's not hypothetical at all' date=' GSP wants to challenge himself and cement his legacy as one of the best fighters in the history of the sport, he's been absolutely dominating people at welterweight (he's won his last 21 rounds against elite contenders). I don't think he'd get killed by MW, especially if he continues to add muscle. You don't think that GSP could take these guys down when he takes down Rashad Evans (205lb) in practice all of the time?[/quote']

in a similar way that BJ did ?

how can you compare the two Anderson is 6 2" gsp is 5 10" look at the reach of those guys, fighters have the most sucssess in weight groups below there size, this is why Vitor now fights at MW when he used to fight HW, Anderson walks around at 220lbs, there is also a big difference between training and an actual fight, Anderson vs GSP would be no different to BJ vs GSP (if you want to compare people moving up in weight its more like BJ at WW) the smaller guy would get dominated by those who have more power and a longer reach, really you're just highlighting your failings......

how can you compare the two Anderson is 6 2" gsp is 5 10" look at the reach of those guys' date=' fighters have the most sucssess in weight groups below there size, this is why Vitor now fights at MW when he used to fight HW, Anderson walks around at 220lbs, there is also a big difference between training and an actual fight, Anderson vs GSP would be no different to BJ vs GSP (if you want to compare people moving up in weight its more like BJ at WW) the smaller guy would get dominated by those who have more power and a longer reach, really you're just highlighting your failings......[/quote']

wow, wrong. you fail. im sorry but if this fight were to happen im sure gsp would win with his usual routine. gsp would win via decision. o wait, no ur right, silva would win cuz he is taller!.......haha as for reach silva dosent have him beat by much.

Why would GSP just drop his belt? Even if hes just fighting guys that are no where near as good as him' date=' hes making astronomical sums of money for it. Hes no where near retiring, and hes at the top of the welterweight division. Even if he moved up to middleweight for a bit, whos saying he'd drop the belt? BJ Penn tried at GSP, and didnt drop his belt.[/quote']

GSP already say (If i go up i will not come back to WW , is easier for the body to gain weight then lost weight )

lmao dont make me laugh' date=' great fighter no doubt but not championship material.[/quote']

Fitch, as a top contender goes, is a joke man sorry to break it to you. He has no stand up, hasn't finished a guy since 2007, and wouldn't beat Alves in a rematch anyways. Now you can make the argument that you don't have to finish fights to be "dominant" as a fighter, but I would argue that if your a guy like Fitch, who doesnt seem to have the tools to finish top level opponents, then he isnt going to be as dangerous as a guy that can finish a fight where ever it goes, and thus be at a major disadvantage. Fitch will only be Champ until he fights Alves or BJ, then he will get handled badly. I think he would struggle greatly taking both Alves and BJ down, and get picked apart on the stand up by both. Fitch is, was, and always will be a contender... unless he finds a way to be more dangerous.

Yes' date=' hypothetical. He predicted GSP would drop his belt. Please, can someone else back me up here? Thats stupid. Illogical. Why?[/quote']

GSP stated himself that if he moved up to middleweight it would be permanent. So when it happens he wouldn't be taking his WW belt with him.

I don't think he'll leave the div until he surpasses Hughes title defense record.

wow' date=' wrong. you fail. im sorry but if this fight were to happen im sure gsp would win with his usual routine. gsp would win via decision. o wait, no ur right, silva would win cuz he is taller!.......haha as for reach silva dosent have him beat by much.[/quote']

no punching up has no affect on a fighter or punching power.......youre right i am wrong and those long legs wont have an effect on how easier it would be to land a knee to a shorter opponant niether would those long limbs serve any extra purpose to be able to lever opponants off or even to be able to land strikes from standing within the gard whatever your so obviously right. keep it up its making me laugh

GSP stated himself that if he moved up to middleweight it would be permanent. So when it happens he wouldn't be taking his WW belt with him.

I don't think he'll leave the div until he surpasses Hughes title defense record.

then gsp needs to fight 3times a year if possible,so he could jump to mw before a.silva leaves to lhw or its the other way around!?.

then gsp needs to fight 3times a year if possible' date='so he could jump to mw before a.silva leaves to lhw or its the other way around!?.[/quote']

This is his 4th title defence I think hughes has 5 or 7. He was injured otherwise he would be fighting 3-4 times a year.

Archived