BJ at Welterweight Predictions

reliquary26

What has BJ done at welterweight that makes people believe he would be serious contender? Sure he beat Matt Hughes but that was a long time ago and the size, talent and skill in the WW division is vastly different than it was when Penn might have been competitive there. BJ is a great champion, possibly the most naturally gifted competitor in mma, but he lacks the size and strength to be a legit contender at 170. I'm not simply stating opinion, his record is evidence of this. BJ is 1-4 when attempting to fight at higher weightclasses. It doesn't take a mathamatician to recognize a pattern here.

I think a dedicated BJ, a properly wieght gained BJ, can and will beat most of the guys mentioned. Saunders would probably cause the most problems.

People for get that BJ took Machida (who was fighting at HW wieght, over 205) to a decision. Was dismantling Hughes (when Hughes was in his prime) before getting tired and lazy. Split decision with GSP, while being gassed and lazy after the first round.

A motivated, dedicated, on point BJ Penn can be BIG problems at WW. If Bj takes his 155 work ethics with him to 170 he will wear that GOLD belt once more.

That me state now, I AM NOT A BJ FAN... at all!

What has BJ done at welterweight that makes people believe he would be serious contender? Sure he beat Matt Hughes but that was a long time ago and the size' date=' talent and skill in the WW division is vastly different than it was when Penn might have been competitive there. BJ is a great champion, possibly the most naturally gifted competitor in mma, but he lacks the size and strength to be a legit contender at 170. I'm not simply stating opinion, his record is evidence of this. BJ is [b']1-3[/b] when attempting to fight at higher weightclasses. It doesn't take a mathamatician to recognize a pattern here.

1-4 or 1 out of 5 fights.

I think a dedicated BJ' date=' a properly wieght gained BJ, can and will beat most of the guys mentioned. Saunders would probably cause the most problems.

People for get that BJ took Machida (who was fighting at HW wieght, over 205) to a decision. Was dismantling Hughes (when Hughes was in his prime) before getting tired and lazy. Split decision with GSP, while being gassed and lazy after the first round.

A motivated, dedicated, on point BJ Penn can be BIG problems at WW. If Bj takes his 155 work ethics with him to 170 he will wear that GOLD belt once more.

That me state now, I AM NOT A BJ FAN... at all![/quote']

How low does your gas tank need to be to gas out after one punch and an eye gouging then lying on your back

I think a dedicated BJ' date=' a properly wieght gained BJ, can and will beat most of the guys mentioned. Saunders would probably cause the most problems.

That me state now, I AM NOT A BJ FAN... at all![/quote']

I respect your opinion but the record and facts contradict it. And I fail to see how pointing out 3 of BJ's losses at higher weight classes strengthens your argument. As I stated earlier, those fights, which you use as examples of BJ's competitiveness at higher weightclasses, happened a considerably long time ago. If he lost to Machida then how do you think he would fare against today's vastly improved Machida? He lost by close split decision to GSP the first time but how did he do against a vastly improved GSP the second time around? I know I'll get flamed by angry BJ fanboys but I even question if he could beat Hughes in a rubber match.

I respect your opinion but the record and facts contradict it. And I fail to see how pointing out 3 of BJ's losses at higher weight classes strengthens your argument. As I stated earlier' date=' those fights, which you use as examples of BJ's competitiveness at higher weightclasses, happened a considerably long time ago. If he lost to Machida then how do you think he would fare against today's vastly improved Machida? He lost by close split decision to GSP the first time but how did he do against a vastly improved GSP the second time around? I know I'll get flamed by angry BJ fanboys but I even question if he could beat Hughes in a rubber match.[/quote']

+1

I think a hughes rubber match would go the distance

You may as well stop using the Machida fight as a valid point to your argument if you think that is why he cannot step up in weight. We're talking about welterweights here, not light heavy weights. He lost a close fight to GSP the first time, a fight of course some BJ fans think he won; myself included. I won't even discuss the second fight because the incidents that occured in that fight aren't disputable but everyone seems to think it didn't affect anything. Regardless, the people BJ lost to at higher weight classes were all champions and probably future UFC hall of famers. No one on the aforementioned list is even close to the stature of the fighters BJ has lost to upon stepping up in weight. I'm obviously a big BJ fan but even I don't think he would run through these fighters or this division, I just think he would show why he is a champion and find ways to win some very exciting matchups. Hopefully this move happens sooner rather then later so we can actually get some ammunition for these debates when we see these guys in action.

You may as well stop using the Machida fight as a valid point to your argument if you think that is why he cannot step up in weight. We're talking about welterweights here' date=' not light heavy weights.[/quote']

I only bring it up because Penn fans reference the Machida fight as an example of why they believe it demonstrates his ability competitive at higher weight classes. As for you thinking BJ won the first fight against GSP I would love to hear you elaborate...it was a 3 round fight and BJ won the 1st round and did little for the next 2...do the math. And if you really believe that the idiotic actions of one of St. Pierre's cornermen (massaging his neck after applying Vaseline to his face) had a significant effect on the outcome of the fight I suggest you watch it again. Besides it was immediately noticed by the officials and appropriate action was taken. GSP was wiped down before being allowed to continue to ensure that it was removed. Furthermore the investigation by the athletic commission that was demanded by the Penn camp afterward determined by that it was unintentional and that it had no significant impact on the outcome of the fight. End of controversy...lets move on.

I think BJ would find a way to win every one of those fights. There is a reason he is a champion' date=' and champions find a way to win fights like these. That being said, any of those first three matchups would be awesome to see on an upcoming UFC card.[/quote']

U realy a delusional BJ fan .

Fitch will destroy BJ

Alves will probably take him apart

BJ is good but not enought to beat the top 3 WW .

I respect your opinion but the record and facts contradict it. And I fail to see how pointing out 3 of BJ's losses at higher weight classes strengthens your argument. As I stated earlier' date=' those fights, which you use as examples of BJ's competitiveness at higher weightclasses, happened a considerably long time ago. If he lost to Machida then how do you think he would fare against today's vastly improved Machida? He lost by close split decision to GSP the first time but how did he do against a vastly improved GSP the second time around? I know I'll get flamed by angry BJ fanboys but I even question if he could beat Hughes in a rubber match.[/quote']

I was stating that because people were saying he couldn't handle these welter wieghts because of their size. When really he was losing at bigger wieght classes because of his conditioning not size.

Thats all i was trying to say, a BJ that can bring his conditioning (dedication, motivation, muscle wieght and not fat wieght) to 170 can be a force. If he could carry is 155 self to 170 you dont think he could do things? Why not?

I was stating that because people were saying he couldn't handle these welter wieghts because of their size. When really he was losing at bigger wieght classes because of his conditioning not size.

Thats all i was trying to say' date=' a BJ that can bring his conditioning (dedication, motivation, muscle wieght and not fat wieght) to 170 can be a force. If he could carry is 155 self to 170 you dont think he could do things? Why not?[/quote']

He could? but WW is a whole nother shark tank.

Lightweight has a hell of a lot of rising stars but no Fitch, kos or alves type fighters

Archived