Most lopsided title matches ever upcoming?

towhatend

With Belfort out and Maia in to face Silva for the middleweight title, I cannot help to realize that three of the upcoming five title matches are seemingly lopsided.

UFC 111: George St. Pierre vs Dan Hardy - have you seen the odds on this? GSP is a -800 and Hardy is a +500. For those who aren't gambling savvy that means if you bet on GSP you have to bet $800 to win $100, and for Hardy if you bet $100 you will win $500. Holy crap, what a blow out.

UFC 112: Penn vs Edgar - this one was looking moderately one-sided already, not a whole lot to speculate on here. If Florian and Sanchez cannot dent Penn what is Edgar going to do? We'll have to see

UFC 112: Silva vs Maia - these odds will probably be more lopsided than GSP vs Hardy. I highly doubt Maia will do a Leites impression and stare at the lights (errr, sky) for five rounds but I just don't see how he has a chance in hell to win this fight.

Obviously there are two much more intriguing match ups in my humble opinion as both Carwin and Mir as well as Machida vs Shogun 2 should be highly competitive. Don't get me wrong, I'm still very excited to see all of the aforementioned champions perform.

What this boils down to is...

can you think of a time when there were this many lopsided championship fights? And if you were (or are) a betting man, who do you put money on for the most likely upset?

With Belfort out and Maia in to face Silva for the middleweight title' date=' I cannot help to realize that three of the upcoming five title matches are seemingly lopsided.

UFC 111: George St. Pierre vs Dan Hardy - have you seen the odds on this? GSP is a -800 and Hardy is a +500. For those who aren't gambling savvy that means if you bet on GSP you have to bet $800 to win $100, and for Hardy if you bet $100 you will win $500. Holy crap, what a blow out.

UFC 112: Penn vs Edgar - this one was looking moderately one-sided already, not a whole lot to speculate on here. If Florian and Sanchez cannot dent Penn what is Edgar going to do? We'll have to see

UFC 112: Silva vs Maia - these odds will probably be more lopsided than GSP vs Hardy. I highly doubt Maia will do a Leites impression and stare at the lights (errr, sky) for five rounds but I just don't see how he has a chance in hell to win this fight.

Obviously there are two much more intriguing match ups in my humble opinion as both Carwin and Mir as well as Machida vs Shogun 2 should be highly competitive. Don't get me wrong, I'm still very excited to see all of the aforementioned champions perform.

[b']What this boils down to is...[/b]

can you think of a time when there were this many lopsided championship fights? And if you were (or are) a betting man, who do you put money on for the most likely upset?

I'm not expecting carwin who has never fought past 2:11 (debut) to be competitive w mir,

thiago & sonnen saved 109 but the fans are taking it on the chin in these upcoming events .. fortunately they are free in the philippines ...

I'm not expecting carwin who has never fought past 2:11 (debut) to be competitive w mir' date='

thiago & sonnen saved 109 but the fans are taking it on the chin in these upcoming events .. fortunately they are free in the philippines ...[/quote']

Your right I expect Carwin to finish Mir in under a minute this time round.

I think Frankie Edgar is a beast, who likely has much more of a chance than given credit for, and I think Maia is definitely deserving of this title shot... I think it won't be as one sided as everyone thinks it will be... Maia will score takedowns and win a round, maybe two, and Hardy has such heavy hands... Heavy hands against a glass chin GSP could mean fireworks, and the biggest upset in history.

This is MMA, folks.. Why whine? These are some pretty cool fights coming up.

I think Frankie Edgar is a beast' date=' who likely has much more of a chance than given credit for, and I think Maia is definitely deserving of this title shot... I think it won't be as one sided as everyone thinks it will be... Maia will score takedowns and win a round, maybe two, and Hardy has such heavy hands... Heavy hands against a glass chin GSP could mean fireworks, and the biggest upset in history.

This is MMA, folks.. Why whine? These are some pretty cool fights coming up.[/quote']

Tell me where GSP has a glass chin please?

Since Serra never hit his chin, hit him behind the ear, just like Brock on Couture.

JP24 I normally enjoy your posts but that was nonsense

Tell me where GSP has a glass chin please?

Since Serra never hit his chin' date=' hit him behind the ear, just like Brock on Couture.

JP24 I normally enjoy your posts but that was nonsense[/quote']

I get on this forum to portray my opinion. Don't like it? GTFO.

And no, I was being sarcastic, of course GSP doesn't have a glass chin. He's just penetrable. Insulting people is never the way.

Frankie Edgar has ZERO chance of beating Bj. Seriously name one area where Frankie can take this fight that Bj won't out skill him at. Frankie Edgar has looked good striking against wrestlers but then again so did Diego and look how far his striking got him against someone with the boxing skills that Bj has. No opponent that Bj has ever faced could take him down with the exception of one fighter who happens to have the best take downs in mma and had weight on him. And if Frankie does happen to drag Bj down to the ground he has to contend with one of the best bjj artists in mma. Not only that but Bj has never been knocked out so that diminishes the chance of a flash ko. When you look at the facts Frankie is screwed.

If i had to pick one upset it would be Maia and only because he actually has an advantage in an area over his opponent which i dont think Hardy or Edgar do. Problem is being able to utilise it.

this is true. and a good point.

but i think Frankie or Hardy would be able to slip in a punch before Maia can utilize his JJ

who knows though.

-buy the ticket. take the ride.

I completely agree with you Towhatend, I can't think of a time when this was the case. I think its a matter of the Champions being so dominant in their division. Maybe all three should all move up one weight class and start fighting there?

None of the upsets are likely :P But I think if I had to bet on an upset, it would be on Hardy. close second: Maia. I would never bet Edgar. He's an awesome guy but i don't think he can hang with Penn.

With Belfort out and Maia in to face Silva for the middleweight title' date=' I cannot help to realize that three of the upcoming five title matches are seemingly lopsided.

[b']What this boils down to is...[/b]

where can i place my bets

Maia would get the win before Hardy or Edgar.

Thiago Alves is a more well rounded striker than Hardy so you know that GSP will probably use the same formula. He won't chance getting knocked out.

Edgar's strengths are the same as BJ's except weaker. Anywhere the fight goes BJ can outclass him.

two of SIlva's four losses are by submission. Eight of Maia's twelve wins have been by submission. Do the math

As i am a Brit i support Dan Hardy but i cannot see him even getting competitive with GSP it will not go by the second round imo. BJ Penn has proved himself to be the greatest LW in MMA history and i cannot see Edgar lasting past the third and Silva vs Maia is a tricky one . If Maia can get past Silvas strikes he has that small chance but it is very small. The UFC could quite easily have made a few really intresting title fights like Anderson vs Bisping, BJ Penn fighting K Flo again in a rematch(Florian claims he did not perform in the 1st so give him another go) and finally you could have GSP fighting Fitch in a rematch of what he says was his hardest match ever. Then again Dana could go all out for BJ vs Aoki and GSP stepping up to face Anderson och well we can dream.

I'm a Mountie too... But no way Frankie has a chance in the cage with BJ' date=' [b']Maia could pull the Ryo Chonan submission[/b]. Maia's striking may not be his strong point but his jits is phenomenal. If Ryo Chonan can sub Silva, Maia has a chance

i was thinking the same thing. i love silva, but he's been caught before.

i've been waiting for j.silva to throw some decent bjj talent at silva. the maia angle adds alittle depth (kinda...)

i say more ground warriors for silva.

I agree these title defenses are lop-sided but what can the UFC do.

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Maia fighting for the title. At first I could only see an instant knockout (replay of Marquart). If he can get it to the ground I think he will win easily. He is going to take some punishment to do so though.

GSP hardy boils down to a punchers chance. And not a very good one IMO. I think GSP has better stand-up and can pick him apart while he's worried about GSp's takedowns. He can take down any other WW at will so I see the same in this fight. It's going to be a route.

BJ vs Edgar. Edgar has been impressive so I think this will be the closest of the three. I still see BJ massacring Edgar but he could surprise us.

Archived