An American Bisping

newyorksabre

I know what I thought, I know what I said, but I waswrong and now I have changed my mind.

What I thought was resentment, resentment for resentment. Michael Bisping appeared to show a general resentment toward the American culture during his coaching job on The Ultimate Fighter. At least thats how is came across to me without going into specifics. It was almost as if he was marketed as the bad guy, as the " Ivan Drago" to the American mma fan base only for the purpose to win the fans over in the end. Well, he did...

I think now how much of a fool I was to over look the true essence of being an ultimate fighter, an mma fighter. It was U.S. Vs. UK and it was clear what side I was on, as a native New Yorker there was no other choice, it was set in stone I was all day for the U.S. team. Only to view the spectactle of utter defeat they suffered under the hands of the Bisping led U.K. team. I felt almost as if we lost to Korea in Fists of Fury, or that Rocky did indeed lose, in the end.

Until now, and no it isn't pity either. It's more of a respect, respect he showed for the sport of mma after his most embarrassing loss probably in his entire life. He said he would be back, with humble words, with words spoken like a true leader, a true champion of the people. I can admire that about anyone from any culture. That's the essence of true mixed martial arts. The heart, the desire is where it all begins.

A new fan so to say, come UFC 110, this new yorker will be rooting for Bisping!

I know what I thought' date=' I know what I said, but I waswrong and now I have changed my mind.

What I thought was resentment, resentment for resentment. Michael Bisping appeared to show a general resentment toward the American culture during his coaching job on The Ultimate Fighter. At least thats how is came across to me without going into specifics. It was almost as if he was marketed as the bad guy, as the " Ivan Drago" to the American mma fan base only for the purpose to win the fans over in the end. Well, he did...

I think now how much of a fool I was to over look the true essence of being an ultimate fighter, an mma fighter. It was U.S. Vs. UK and it was clear what side I was on, as a native New Yorker there was no other choice, it was set in stone I was all day for the U.S. team. Only to view the spectactle of utter defeat they suffered under the hands of the Bisping led U.K. team. I felt almost as if we lost to Korea in Fists of Fury, or that Rocky did indeed lose, in the end.

Until now, and no it isn't pity either. It's more of a respect, respect he showed for the sport of mma after his most embarrassing loss probably in his entire life. He said he would be back, with humble words, with words spoken like a true leader, a true champion of the people. I can admire that about anyone from any culture. That's the essence of true mixed martial arts. The heart, the desire is where it all begins.

A new fan so to say, come UFC 110, this new yorker will be rooting for Bisping![/quote']

Dude, Bisping is one of THE most overrated "stars" to come to MMA in the last ten years. He's a product of some nice tv work by Spike/The UFC - and the fact that he never had to face any real talent. Heck, the UFC (oh wait, it's the COMMISSION that licenses the judges wink wink) even stole a loss from Bisping in his fight with Hammill. Bisping lost to Hammill, Rashad and Hendo. Bisping is clearly a second or third level fighter, but since the UFC wants to own the UK like it does the USA, they needed a star from the UK. Well, since Bisping has shown he blows - it's up to Hardy (who has virtually no shot against GSP).

Bisping is overrated - so if you enjoy supporting overrated "stars" have fun supporting Bisping. You can also support Kimbo Slice. The UFC would appreciate that.

This is real life' date=' not Rocky. You aren't gonna be rooting for Bisping all 15 minutes and watch a razor sharp split decision win for Bisping or an end of round 3 tko or ko. Don't be cheesy about it.[/quote']

Hendo treated Bisping like Clubber treated Rocky the first time around. And if they fight again, it'll be Clubber destroying Rocky AGAIN, with no hollywood ending this time around....

I know what I thought' date=' I know what I said, but I waswrong and now I have changed my mind.

A new fan so to say, come UFC 110, this new yorker will be rooting for Bisping![/quote']

you cant fool me...i see through your ruse michael bisping...i know it's you.

I also can't understand why Bisping is so unpopular among fans. I can understand him being reasonably disliked due to his TUF 9 behaviour, but I'd say he's one of the top 3 most dsliked guys in the UFC, and I can't understand why. Ok, so he disrespected Hendo a bit, and made some comments about American culture, but neither of them were done in a malicious way, and I do agree that he was definitely portrayed as 'the bad guy' through the series.

His behaviour since that fight has been spot on. He showed respect for Kang before and after the fight, and he's showing a lot of respect for Wandy now. A few days ago there was a thread where someone had quoted Bisping as saying he would finish Wandy, and acting like it was the ultimate disrespect, when almost every other fighter says the exact same thing pre-fight.

I still think of Bisping as a decent guy, but I do think that he'll forever have a marker over his head now, with a lot of MMA fans wanting to hate him, and wanting to swarm over his every mistake. As a Brit, I'll be cheering for him next weekend, although it is a pity that he's come up against one of my favourite all time fighters in Wanderlei Silva. I don't want to see either fighter lose, but I do hope Bisping posts a performance which might gain him a bit more respect among fans.

Hmm. This is gonna be an unpopular opinion - however I salute your forthrightness for saying so.

I'm a Brit, but more specifically I'm a Scot and as such Bisping's usual '****y northerner' routine tends to make me want him to see him meet a series of increasingly embarrasing defeats (the fact that Scotland's best MMA fighter is a bantamweight who doesn't even fight in the WEC is a completely separate bone of annoyance.)

However, his conduct since getting KTFO by Hendo has been exemplary and his performance (in the second round at least) against Kang was very good indeed.

I don't buy into the idea that the UFC have influenced decisions in his favour (they can't, it's the SACs, so please get over the conspiracy theory) and losses to Rashad and Hendo are hardly indictment of a lack of talent - sure he hasn't exactly set the world on fire, but thus far he's the best the UK has produced (although Hardy, Daley and guys like Pearson and Etim are knocking on the door) so can you blame the UFC for using him as their poster boy for growing the brand in the UK?

So, Bisping will never be my favourite fighter, from a respect-for-skills or a liking-for-character point of view but there seems to be a lot of unjustified hatred thrown at him by many (usually American) fans, which I think is unwarranted.

look, i live quite near to michael bisping, i dont claim to know him or anything but i know enough people from round this area... our sense of humour can be quite dark and distasteful and we are fully aware of this

so when bisping starts saying things like "lets bring it to the yanks!" or "haha ****ing greco roman wrestler?" its not out of disrespect, its just his sense of humour

if someone squirted a water bottle in someones face over here in the gym, they would just laugh it off, not start getting in the culprits face

i think thats why rampage enjoys training over here, the harsh sense of humour always keeps you on your toes in that kind of environment and you can see him and bisping joking around all the time

i dont care what people say about him being over-rated and start comparing him and hendo to the vietnam war (i know its ridiculous, but believe me, youtube contains major trolling), hes 1 fighter out of the UK and does not represent the entire nation in terms of fighting ability or attitude

x

Fighting-wise Rich Franklin is an American Bisping - only good.

Bisping is a pale immitation of Rich Franklin and he is going to continue to get crushed because he has passed his level of competence. Henderson was far too much for Bisping. So would Franklin be. I don;t know about Wandy because he's been very spotty. I doubt Bisping can finish him, bu he might be able to decision him.

I also can't understand why Bisping is so unpopular among fans. I can understand him being reasonably disliked due to his TUF 9 behaviour' date=' but I'd say he's one of the top 3 most dsliked guys in the UFC, and I can't understand why. Ok, so he disrespected Hendo a bit, and made some comments about American culture, but neither of them were done in a malicious way, and I do agree that he was definitely portrayed as 'the bad guy' through the series.

His behaviour since that fight has been spot on. He showed respect for Kang before and after the fight, and he's showing a lot of respect for Wandy now. A few days ago there was a thread where someone had quoted Bisping as saying he would finish Wandy, and acting like it was the ultimate disrespect, when almost every other fighter says the exact same thing pre-fight.

I still think of Bisping as a decent guy, but I do think that he'll forever have a marker over his head now, with a lot of MMA fans wanting to hate him, and wanting to swarm over his every mistake. As a Brit, I'll be cheering for him next weekend, although it is a pity that he's come up against one of my favourite all time fighters in Wanderlei Silva. I don't want to see either fighter lose, but I do hope Bisping posts a performance which might gain him a bit more respect among fans.[/quote']

well said, and i also dont want to see either bisping or wandy lose

look' date=' i live quite near to michael bisping, i dont claim to know him or anything but i know enough people from round this area... our sense of humour can be quite dark and distasteful and we are fully aware of this

so when bisping starts saying things like "lets bring it to the yanks!" or "haha ****ing greco roman wrestler?" its not out of disrespect, its just his sense of humour

if someone squirted a water bottle in someones face over here in the gym, they would just laugh it off, not start getting in the culprits face

i think thats why rampage enjoys training over here, the harsh sense of humour always keeps you on your toes in that kind of environment and you can see him and bisping joking around all the time

i dont care what people say about him being over-rated and start comparing him and hendo to the vietnam war (i know its ridiculous, but believe me, youtube contains major trolling), hes 1 fighter out of the UK and does not represent the entire nation in terms of fighting ability or attitude

x[/quote']

yeah i agree, alot of brits have a similar sense of humor as bisping.

you either love bisping or hate him.

and this is why most americans dont like him. they just dont get his british humor

So, the Brit gets KTFO after talking a bunch of bunk and did not have the stones to back it up and now he wants to be humble and some other shietzer? WTFE. Brits always get their panties in twist if us Yanks talk about them and their culture, but I can't feel the same way if it's done with my culture? GTFOH. Bisping got himself hated with all the trash talk and mediocre performance. The Hamill debacle aside, he was never and will never be top ten in any weight class. I don't hate Brits or Bisping, he is a decent fighter and I get the "Brit" sense of humor and to me it's funny most of the time. He talked smack to a guy who is not good at it and Hendo knows he is not good at the trash talk. So Hendo did what Hendo does, he crushed a fighter who was out of his league. If Bisping wants some respect maybe he should give it or actually do what he says he is gonna do against top competition and start crushing folks. Alas he can't, so he won't, do either.

Its about the sport, not the warrior. Dedication and heart, these qualities seem to fade out after you get knocked out like Bisping did, but he stood the tide of battle to fight another day. Americans of all people should be able to recognize and respect that and trust that some of us still do. The man hasnt offended me in any way, he has entertained me, he has given me the one thing I wanted when it comes to him which is him getting knocked out. I dont buy into those tea-party-esque banter-isms of all of those people not willing to put in the same time and dedication as Bisping in this sport. Where do you hear any mma fighters "dissin" him because hes from the UK, or even because of his record, unless they are his opponents. If these bums on the forums are generalized as critics, then we really need more fans of this sport in the US.

Archived