Roy Nelson is an athlete.

Megasoup

Roy being fat is not indicative of his performance as a heavyweight fighter.

Let's not forget that world class competitive Powerlifters and Olympic Lifters (Heavyweight Division) always have guts. You have no way of knowing how strong a huge dude is based on his body fat percentage.

Do remember that this is the Heavyweight Divison where technique and power are more important than agility. I think agility is the only factor for a large man, and really muscular men aren't necessarily more agile than men with higher body fat percentages if they weigh the same.

If a large truck runs into a small car, even if the small car is more expensive or has a more skillful driver, we know who will win that matchup. That being said, what if you had a more skillful driver? Anyone who's grappled knows that size isn't everything, but it's very important. If you have a lot of skill and know to "put your hand here and push up with your arm this way and lean on this side and put all your weight here while you apply pressure" (and all that other scientific grappling stuff that a lot of people aren't aware of) and you're huge, Jesus Christ.

As a former soldier I remember huge dudes running 2 miles in 12 minutes and thinking, "how is that possible?" It just is. He has shown that his Cardio is fine.

Finally striking. Striking is much about technique, handspeed and timing/reaction. These things are not affected by size. But add in size. Striking is a full body motion. Punches come from the ground, not the shoulder. If you're really heavy and you have good technique you will hit harder than someone lighter than you with identical technique. It's called putting your weight into it.

Strength, agility, grappling, cardio and striking. I think I've covered it.

Comments are welcome. Let the battle begin.

I agree. he wasn't blessed with great genetics. Although he is always talking about fast food so i doubt that he eats real healthy. But anyways his physique gives him a lower center of gravity that he uses to his advantage on the ground. It can also give you more power to draw from for your punches. It is more weight to carry around and could cause an issue in the cardio department. I haven't really seen him in any wars so I can't speak of his endurance but then again I havent watched too many of his fights.

sammo can do back flips!

if roy does a backflip after getting his W over struve then i think the OP#s point is made.

the guy is good, his body is a hinderance(sp?) though it makes him slower than he should be and obviously makes him a bigger target. i like roy and hope to see him do well.

He certainly is earning a living working as a professional athlete, but he's doing it despite being overweight not because he's overweight. His fat doesn't help pay the bills.

If he were a Sumo Wrestler or an NFL lineman, then you could make the argument that being fat is just part of the job. Those are huge guys who need to stand their ground, and the extra pounds help them succeed at that.

But there's no legitimate benefit to being fat in the UFC. Roy does make it work to his advantage sometimes and deserves respect for that, IMO. But fat isn't part of the program -- Roy's making it part of the program.

So far it's working, but he really ought to lose weight and move down a division.

He certainly is earning a living working as a professional athlete' date=' but he's doing it despite being overweight not because he's overweight. His fat doesn't help pay the bills.

If he were a Sumo Wrestler or an NFL lineman, then you could make the argument that being fat is just part of the job. Those are huge guys who need to stand their ground, and the extra pounds help them succeed at that.

But there's no legitimate benefit to being fat in the UFC. Roy does make it work to his advantage sometimes and deserves respect for that, IMO. But fat isn't part of the program -- Roy's making it part of the program.

So far it's working, but he really ought to lose weight and move down a division.[/quote']

I never said the high body fat percentage helps him. I just pointed out that it doesn't hinder him.

I don't believe moving down a weight division would benefit him. He probably wouldn't bring his power and likely wouldn't gain enough agility to offset that loss in power. With the 205 weight class agility comes into play and his height/reach disadvantage would become even more of a factor. I don't think he has what it takes to be Champion in either division, but just because you aren't the champ, doesn't mean you're not great.

Sadly, he has skills, and probably more than we'll ever see. He still thinks it's early cage fighting shows. It's not it's mixed martial arts. PROBABLY THE MOST ELITE WELL ROUNDED ATHLETES IN THE WORLD. And thats not ever going to get easier.He can probaly beat some out of the top 10, but if he doesn't take it more serious, he won't get many fights. Maybe none past his TUF contract.

I'm not a hater, I just wish people with raw talent and his experience would appreciate what they get to do for a living.

Roy Nelson is an athlete, but not a good one. He has good endurance and skills for a man his size, but compared to the entire spectrum of "athletes" he is near the bottom of the list in terms of true athleticism. Lebron James is an athlete. Adrian Peterson is an athlete. Derek Jeter is an athlete. Roy Nelson is just a fat guy who can surprise people with his stamina.

he is a tremendous fighter. many a TUF champ has come out to do great things and not looked entirely convincing in the finale. do i think B.Schaub (or wateva his name was) was a rightful challenger? hell no! but that season of TUF was just weak. half those guys were just big and the other half not big enough! Roy is good enough to cope with the UFC though, coming through TUF his jitters will have gone and he'll get down to business. sign me up for the R.Nelson parade any day, fat or not the guy is a fighter and a winner!

athlete noun : a person who is proficent in sports and other forms of physical excercise. By that definition he is an athlete, not everyone in the ufc is going to be cut and ripped just because the man looks like a pregnant woman doesnt take away from the fact he can compete.

I have recently watched his fights with Monson and Arlovski, to me his cardio seems pretty weak. In both fights he was gasping for air by the beginning of the second round. His boxing/footwork seem ok in the first round but his hands quickly fall to his sides by the second and third rounds. I have not been impressed by Mr. Nelson, Struve might not be the fighter to expose all of Roy's shortcomings (although I have Struve for the sub victory) there are many in the HW division who can.

I agree in theory, Roy is an athlete, albeit a fat one.

Archived