Randy Couture is nearing the end

Vaseline

I really believe he is past his prime. Before I carry on, that is not to say I want him to stop fighting (at this given time). He still puts up tough challenges and can hang there with some of the top competition.

However I do not see him getting into title contention again (unless they give him an easy route). For one thing, he hasnt got the speed he had before. Watching the Gonzaga fight, he was incredibly quick with his strikes but recently he has been failing in that area.

His endurance isnt what it used to be. He seems a lot more fragile now. In his last 3 fights, he has been in serious trouble a few times (excluding the Coleman fight). I have NEVER thought of Nog's boxing to be good, I dont know why people were hyping it up so much. I have always thought it to be kind of sloppy, but Couture was still getting outboxed by him. He was seriously hurt in the Vera fight with one kick to the liver, which we dont see very often (especially when the area that was kicked had not taken a lot of damage during the fight).

His wrestling is still intact, and that is what is helping him win (again I am not considering the Coleman fight because it was with Coleman).

I dont see him beating any top competition anymore. Thoughts?

I really believe he is past his prime. Before I carry on' date=' that is not to say I want him to stop fighting (at this given time). He still puts up tough challenges and can hang there with some of the top competition.

However I do not see him getting into title contention again (unless they give him an easy route). For one thing, he hasnt got the speed he had before. Watching the Gonzaga fight, he was incredibly quick with his strikes but recently he has been failing in that area.

His endurance isnt what it used to be. He seems a lot more fragile now. In his last 3 fights, he has been in serious trouble a few times (excluding the Coleman fight). I have NEVER thought of Nog's boxing to be good, I dont know why people were hyping it up so much. I have always thought it to be kind of sloppy, but Couture was still getting outboxed by him. He was seriously hurt in the Vera fight with one kick to the liver, which we dont see very often (especially when the area that was kicked had not taken a lot of damage during the fight).

His wrestling is still intact, and that is what is helping him win (again I am not considering the Coleman fight because it was with Coleman).

I dont see him beating any top competition anymore. Thoughts?[/quote']

Past his prime I would say yes somewhat. Basically if you look at his conditioning now if he did all the same things when he was 30 his conditioning then would have been killer, but as far as fighting skill and knowedge he seems to me to still be improving. A lot of what you say is kind of invalid.

Nog's boxing: Nog's boxing is better than Coutures for sure. Coutures dirty boxing would be be better than Nog's. At then end of the day Nog is quite a bit bigger naturally then Couture and Couture hung with him. That says a lot in itself.

Conditioning: Read Vera's interview that just went up on the UFC site. He said himself - Couture doesn't get tired.

That kick to the Liver: Vera kicks harder then just about anyone out there. If he kicks you good in the liver he only needs one kick no matter who you are. That being said the rate at which Randy recovered speaks volumes about the conditioning/endurance is.

Randy proved in his fight with Vera that he is still very relevant in the division. Will he ever get a title shot or the belt itself again? Well I know one thing, I never bet against Randy.

Randy is doing fine and nobody knows it better then him, he hasnt declined in any field, competition is just increasing. And so far as Nogs boxing !?!? sloppy ????? Nog is one of thee most accurate strikers there is, he just never throws with knock out power and does mostly straight punches and body shots.

Randy will shock the world again. He's never really been that fast I think. He goes in with a gameplan and sticks with it. He is a warrior, he loves to fight, he likes being matched up with different styles to figure out what he needs to do to win. He said he would love to fight anderson or machida. I don't think he even has the belt in mind, he just loves to compete.

I still think Couture is somewhat relevant but I STRONGLY disagree with Dana saying hes a top 5 LHW ' date=' that is pure bs trying to sell a 48 year old as a top 5. I wouldnt even put him in the top 5 of the UFC...[/quote']

He says that because at the end of the day, Randy could potentially beat any of them. It wouldn`t be pretty or flashy. Chances are it would be a decision win after 3rds of holding the guy on the cage, but it would be a win.

I really believe he is past his prime. Before I carry on' date=' that is not to say I want him to stop fighting (at this given time). He still puts up tough challenges and can hang there with some of the top competition.

However I do not see him getting into title contention again (unless they give him an easy route).[b'] For one thing, he hasnt got the speed he had before. Watching the Gonzaga fight, he was incredibly quick with his strikes but recently he has been failing in that area.[/b]

I dont see him beating any top competition anymore. Thoughts?

i completely agree. randy is still legit and maybe a top 10 LHW in the ufc(if not 10 on the brink)but his speed has dropped. i too just watched that gonzaga fight and was thinking to myself wow he use to be fast. i hadnt seen that speed in his last 3 or so fights. i think randy is THE smartest fighter in the ufc and that really helps him win fights. i think he loves the competition and could compete with any of the top guys.

Brandon Vera should have won that decision when he fought Couture. He also should have done more in the fight to convince the judges, but he def won that fight.

Couture is still around because he's a huge draw. He'll fight Franklin (and probably lose), but if he wins, he'll get say the winner of Forrest and Lil Nog, then a title shot. I give Randy a 30% chance to beat Franklin, a 30% chance to beat Forrest, and a 20% chance to beat Lil Nog.

Completley agree with your thread, I love Randy like i think we all do but sorry its time for pipe and slippers now grandpa couture

the king of the ring' date=' no sir ur an idiot, just because ppl have different opnions than yours..doesnt make ur opinion superior , i luv randy but u just suck[/quote']

lick my sac Savior, morons like you nay say Randy Couture everyday. I never claimed my opinion to be "Superior". But I appreciate that you think it is.

All you do is troll these threads, and make comments like "your retarded". You dont even leave YOUR opinion about the OP. Your just a sh** talking, mindless, waste of space.

Glad to see my fellow members are getting along just fine.

Anyway, I think Couture is far from done. If he really wants to, I could see him competing for the next five years of so. His style and strategy does not call for speed. As you grow older, you will lose much or your speed but not strength and conditioning. We have some of the worlds best marathon runners making a mark at the sport in the latter part of their lives.

Glad to see my fellow members are getting along just fine.

Anyway' date=' I think Couture is far from done. If he really wants to, I could see him competing for the next five years of so. His style and strategy does not call for speed. As you grow older, you will lose much or your speed but not strength and conditioning. We have some of the worlds best marathon runners making a mark at the sport in the latter part of their lives.[/quote']

+1 Totally agree. Thank god. Finally, Someone who doesnt look at just age and knows what they are talking about.

lick my sac Savior' date=' morons like you nay say Randy Couture everyday. I never claimed my opinion to be "Superior". But I appreciate that you think it is.

All you do is troll these threads, and make comments like "your retarded". You dont even leave YOUR opinion about the OP. [b']Your just a sh** talking, mindless, waste of space[/b].

wat are you doing right now?

i think couture will never have another belt, HW or LHW.

hes too old and his best attribute nowadays is his octagon control.

i kno couture is amazing and a legend but you gotta know when its time to hang up the gloves

and franklin will KO randy

i think couture will never have another belt' date=' HW or LHW.

i kno couture is amazing and a legend but you gotta know when its time to hang up the gloves

[b']and franklin will KO randy[/b]

+1

He says that because at the end of the day' date=' Randy could potentially beat any of them. It wouldn`t be pretty or flashy. Chances are it would be a decision win after 3rds of holding the guy on the cage, but it would be a win.[/quote']

I agree that he could potentially beat them but you cant really base rankings on potentially beating someone, anyone could potentially beat anyone...I thought Vera was a little gunshy and didn't fight a good fight, as if he were in awe of Couture. I think Franklin will end Randy's nice little run of beating a completely washed up Coleman and winning a fight that he actually lost (IMO).

Randy can still hang with most of them' date=' and why is this?

He is smart.[/quote']

Well that's just it.

I'm huge Couture fan. And Randy's done well in making critics look stupid for years now. He's the best at it. The problem is mma is constantly growing and evolving.

And this is the catch. It's not so much that Randy is slowing down (he is some what), or he's not growing (he is)

it's just younger and younger fighters are doing the same thing. Randy will continue to find ways to exploit mistakes. I don't doubt that. But yeah he should be wrapping it up soon.

If he wants to fight people like Coleman for kicks that's fine, but I hope he's just careful in who he faces now.

and franklin will KO randy

Franklin will not KO Couture. If Randy was 75, Rich still couldnt KO him.

Franklin will not KO Couture. If Randy was 75' date=' Rich still couldnt KO him.[/quote']

not gunna put up much fight about this one, just wat i thinks gunna happen

but as we all know rich isnt too hot in the clinch, and thats randys bread and butter

i could see it goin either way i just think rich has youth and striking on his side

not gunna put up much fight about this one' date=' just wat i thinks gunna happen

but as we all know rich isnt too hot in the clinch, and thats randys bread and butter

i could see it goin either way i just think rich has youth and striking on his side[/quote']

Its going to be interesting to see how Couture deals with a southpaw. Personally I think like you said, Randy is going to close the distance, wear him out in the clinch, take him down and GNP a victory.

Just a little insight, EVERYBODY has youth on Randy. LOL They always have. Ol Man from Gresham is going to tear through this weight division.

Its going to be interesting to see how Couture deals with a southpaw. Personally I think like you said' date=' Randy is going to close the distance, wear him out in the clinch, take him down and GNP a victory.

Just a little insight, EVERYBODY has youth on Randy. LOL They always have. Ol Man from Gresham is going to tear through this weight division.[/quote']

old and wise is couture

he has just as much an edge as rich

randy is a great fighter but he is dam near 50 and regardless what he says about how he feels the human body will eventually break down.. that is just one of the facts of life and there are so many good fighers these days that are younger, faster and stronger but just dont have as much exp. as randy... IMO he still has a few years left though :)

No offense what so ever everyone is intitled to there oppinion but... The end for Randy is when he gets put into his coffin and buried 6 feet under hes Captin America The Natural and will be around for longer than everyone thinks.

No offense what so ever everyone is intitled to there oppinion but... The end for Randy is when he gets put into his coffin and buried 6 feet under hes Captin America The Natural and will be around for longer than everyone thinks.

+1 I would put Couture in there with ANY LightHeavyWeight. People seem to forget Randy was a 225lbs HW, He did better than ANYONE against Brock. Even Mir's first win, he never controlled Brock, he merely caught him in a textbook Kneebar.

NOW he is a LHW, he walks around at 215lbs and drops less than 10 lbs for the fight. He doesnt have to worry about being "Drained" from shedding a bunch of weight. Not that, that is a concern for Couture...he is only one of the Best Conditioned Athletes in the World....and HE STILL HAS HIS STRENGTH!!! And believe me, Couture is one tough MF'er.

and franklin will KO randy[/quote']

Unfortunatly I dont see Franklin KO'n anyone at LHW especially not Randy, if anything I could see him edgin out a very fast paced decision. This will more than likely be a really grueling fight. After Randy beats Franklin I would love to see Randy vs Rampage just for ***** it would be such a sick fight, I would like that more than Griffin or Lil Nog or Evans but thats my oppinion, what do you guys think bout The Natural vs Rampage after there next fights. If they both win or lose.

+1 I would put Couture in there with ANY LightHeavyWeight. People seem to forget Randy was a 225lbs HW' date=' He did better than ANYONE against Brock. Even Mir's first win, he never controlled Brock, he merely caught him in a textbook Kneebar.

NOW he is a LHW, he walks around at 215lbs and drops less than 10 lbs for the fight. He doesnt have to worry about being "Drained" from shedding a bunch of weight. Not that, that is a concern for Couture...he is only one of the Best Conditioned Athletes in the World....and HE STILL HAS HIS STRENGTH!!! And believe me, Couture is one tough MF'er.[/quote']

For sure huh!

Unfortunatly I dont see Franklin KO'n anyone at LHW especially not Randy' date=' if anything I could see him edgin out a very fast paced decision. This will more than likely be a really grueling fight. After Randy beats Franklin I would love to see Randy vs Rampage just for ***** it would be such a sick fight, I would like that more than Griffin or Lil Nog or Evans but thats my oppinion, what do you guys think bout The Natural vs Rampage after there next fights. If they both win or lose.[/quote']

Rampage would be VERY interesting. I think this would end one of two ways....Randy gets KO'ed....Randy outworks Rampage and wins by UD or GnP TKO. I think Randy would win. Just because of his Greco Roman Wrestling.

Personally I would like to see Couture/Anderson Silva. I think Couture would wear and grind a victory out....as long as he stays out of the clinch. Plus Randy has EXCELLENT submission defense, and an IRON CHIN to boot.

I never count Randy out in a fight. That guy has so much experience and skills that he can beat any fighter. But yea age is catching up to him. He may be past his body's prime but he keeps becoming more skilled. He won't beat some of the better strikers at lhw but he could beat Forrest, Rashad, Chuck (Chuck is more past his prime than Randy), Tito, Thiago (could knock Randy out but he sucks vs wrestling) and maybe Rich. However the more powerful strikers of the division like Rampage, Shogun, Machida and Anderson would all put him away. So given the right fights he could easily get another title shot but I don't see him getting the belt again.

Rampage would be VERY interesting. I think this would end one of two ways....Randy gets KO'ed....Randy outworks Rampage and wins by UD or GnP TKO. I think Randy would win. Just because of his Greco Roman Wrestling.

Personally I would like to see Couture/Anderson Silva. I think Couture would wear and grind a victory out....as long as he stays out of the clinch. Plus Randy has EXCELLENT submission defense' date=' and an IRON CHIN to boot.[/quote']

For sure would be intersting to see Silva in there against prob one of the only guys he could even be the slitist bit afraid of, I mean its Randy your staring at across the cage and he fears NO ONE. So most deffinatly be great to witness.

Heh, people have been saying he's too old, for what? The past 5-6 years? He keeps proving everyone wrong by beating younger opponents time and time again. One would think you folks would finally shut your yaps. The HGH is treating him well, obviously. ;)

Randy is doing fine and nobody knows it better then him' date=' he hasnt declined in any field, competition is just increasing. And so far as Nogs boxing !?!? sloppy ????? Nog is one of thee most accurate strikers there is, he just never throws with knock out power and does mostly straight punches and body shots.[/quote']

Nog never was good standing up. That is just todays UFC hype machine. Nog finished one person with his strikes in his carrer. Nog got dropped on the feet almost in every one of his fights. Nogs strenght is his ground game not his boxing.

Personally I would like to see Couture/Anderson Silva. I think Couture would wear and grind a victory out....as long as he stays out of the clinch. Plus Randy has EXCELLENT submission defense' date=' and an IRON CHIN to boot.[/quote']

You can never count Couture out but I seriously doubt he would beat either of these. Rampage has great wrestling to and he is great in the clinch and very strong so I dont think Randy's Greco-Roman wrestling would win him this fight. He would probably get KO'ed by Rampage and Silva would knock Randy out or possibly submit him if Couture took it to the ground. Randy is still good but I think your just fooling yourself if you think Randy would beat these two.

I think that Couture has a good chance against Franklin though. His Greco-Roman and dirty boxing might be enough to win in that fight.

I met Randy in June 2004, super cool.

He inspired me to start training a month later, I joined a Gracie gym. I went to UFC 57 2005 in vegas, had cage side seats and watched him " reitre" after his ko loss to Chuck.I'm probably one of the biggest Randy fans there is.

He's got about 3 great fights left in him, imo.

Never bet against Randy.

Archived