Jake Shields says he will be a free agent , win loose or draw after April 17

UFCGOD1

Strikeforce middleweight champion, Jake Shields has revealed he’s in a unique position heading into his first title defence on April 17th against Dan Henderson, explaining that win, lose or draw he could walk away from the promotion as he will be out of contract.

Speaking via MMAJunkie.com, Shields said:

“I am happy with Strikeforce. They’ve given me big fights like I asked for, so I’m happy with them. But also, I do want big fights, and of course the UFC has a lot of big fights as well. I try not to think about that too much; I’m just trying to get through Dan. This is the biggest fight of my career. I’ll just get through that and re-evaluate the situation from there.”

“I wanted to be a free agent. I haven’t been a free agent in a couple of years, and I wanted the option of leaving Strikeforce. Not that I’m leaving Strikeforce; I just wanted the option. Right now, I can’t really talk to other shows. It’s in the contract. You can’t talk any business. So I just want to be in a situation where I can look at my options and figure it out from there.”

“I like Strikeforce, so as long as it’s a good offer, and it looks like they’re going to get some good opponents – I also want to fight top competition, so it’s the combination of pay, exposure, and top competition. Those are the three things I’ll make my decision off of.”

Normally in these instances a “champions clause” will be in place, preventing a title holder from walking away from the promotion and automatically renewing their contract. It appears that no such clause is in place in Shield’s case, putting the UFC on red alert.

http://www.mmabay.co.uk/2010/03/18/jake-shields-drops-the-bombshell-that-following-april-17th-he’s-a-free-agent-win-lose-or-draw/

He is the perfect fight for A Silva if he beats Hendo.

Hopefully the UFC won;t blow the chance to sign him by twittering the contract negotiations.\\

Silva would destroy Shields...any of you see the Shields/Daley fight? And the majority of you say Daley is overrated.

UFC would sign him' date=' but he won't be beating Hendo anyways. He will come here and if he is smart he will drop to WW. He can beat most WW's, but GSP would destroy him.[/quote']

I honestly think he'd be a great fight for GSP

If Shields beats Hendo - or even if he goes the distance and loses a decision - he will be world number one in line for a shot at Silva.

He is a good bet to finsh Hendo he is a good bet to finish Silva.

Really?? a 'good bet' to finish the top 2 MW's in the world?? I doubt that.

UFC would sign him' date=' but he won't be beating Hendo anyways. He will come here and if he is smart he will drop to WW. He can beat most WW's, but GSP would destroy him.[/quote']

dude i thinki that to but hey u never know till it happens for all we know shields could be like the dude to be gsp haha but i really dont think that but hey who knows till it happens

Silva would destroy Shields...any of you see the Shields/Daley fight? And the majority of you say Daley is overrated.

I honestly think he'd be a great fight for GSP

Really?? a 'good bet' to finish the top 2 MW's in the world?? I doubt that.

He will not be favored to do it but he will have a good chance of making it happen. That is what I define as a good bet: one where I can win more money than I risk.

Neither if these guys can roll with Shields. If he gets them down its all over but the crying.

Archived