Shinya Aoki says UFC won't succeed in Japan

freedom

http://fightmarks.com/story.php?title=japanese-star-shinya-aoki-says-ufc-wont-succeed-in-japan

DREAM lightweight champion Shinya Aoki widely is considered a torchbearer for MMA in Japan. And he's very protective of its landscape, particularly when it comes to the interests of stateside promoters.

UFC president Dana White repeatedly has said he's interested in returning to Japan for the first time since Zuffa, LLC purchased the promotion in 2001. But he blames "dirty, sneaky, bad guys" from keeping the promotion out of the country.

White will not throw in the towel on going to Japan. But Aoki believes the UFC ? to put it nicely ? is fighting an uphill battle.

"I think the UFC in Japan will not be successful," Aoki told MMAjunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com) through a translator on Wednesday during a press conference promoting his April 17 fight with Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez at "Strikeforce: Nashville." "It's a very special market."

UFC doesn't need to go to Japan' date=' all they need to do is buy those MMA organizations there then closed it.[/quote'] Yea, that's a smart business move. Buy out the organizations, then close them without replacing them with your own product. So you lose money and gain absolutely nothing. Great idea.

UFC doesn't need to go to Japan' date=' all they need to do is buy those MMA organizations there then closed it.[/quote']

It would cost way too much for the UFC to buy up "those" organizations and close them. Too much money for it to be a worth it.

Yea' date=' that's a smart business move. Buy out the organizations, then close them without replacing them with your own product. So you lose money and gain absolutely nothing. Great idea.[/quote']

Does UFC lose money after they buy & closed PRIDE. Of course not, their PPV sale increase coz PRIDE is gone and PRIDE fans now watches UFC, so why do they need to go in Japan physically?

Closing out you competitors will always benifits you in any other way.

Does UFC lose money after they buy & closed PRIDE. Of course not' date=' their PPV sale increase coz PRIDE is gone and PRIDE fans now watches UFC, so why do they need to go in Japan physically?

Closing out you competitors will always benifits you in any other way.[/quote']

So your saying you want the UFC too monopolize MMA????

After what happened to Pride' date=' the ufc should steer clear of Japan.[/quote']

agree and disagree... agree that they didnt understand the Pride deal and what they were getting into. However if they really want to get a piece of the Japanese market, this time they should plan well, make sure the distribution deals are in place (unlike the last time where Pride had almost no distribution deal and were almost done as a business).

Japan's MMA promotions are steeped in tradition with a different fan base with special preferences regarding fighters, introductions, fighting rules, and fighting apparatus. They love fellow Japanese fighters, they love crazy and over the top introductions, they allow foot stomps, some allow knees to downed opponents, and they usually fight in a ring. The UFC mentality and business model will be ineffective in the Japanese marketplace. It would need to be completely adapted to meet the Japanese consumer. Lets leave those promotions alone, as they offer great fights, some more spectacles than anything else (i.e, Hong Man Choi vs. Jose Canseco), which gives us variety and some competition to the MMA landscape. There isn't enough depth in the Japanese MMA promotions in terms of fighters to warrant a purchase of these entities, however, with Pride there was a huge population of great fighters who strengthened the ranks of the UFC (i.e., A. Silva, Nog, Rampage, Wanderlei, etc...).

Japan's MMA promotions are steeped in tradition with a different fan base with special preferences regarding fighters' date=' introductions, fighting rules, and fighting apparatus. They love fellow Japanese fighters, they love crazy and over the top introductions, they allow foot stomps, some allow knees to downed opponents, and they usually fight in a ring. The UFC mentality and business model will be ineffective in the Japanese marketplace. It would need to be completely adapted to meet the Japanese consumer. Lets leave those promotions alone, as they offer great fights, some more spectacles than anything else (i.e, Hong Man Choi vs. Jose Canseco), which gives us variety and some competition to the MMA landscape. There isn't enough depth in the Japanese MMA promotions in terms of fighters to warrant a purchase of these entities, however, with Pride there was a huge population of great fighters who strengthened the ranks of the UFC (i.e., A. Silva, Nog, Rampage, Wanderlei, etc...).[/quote']

Makes sense...good point!

Japan's MMA promotions are steeped in tradition with a different fan base with special preferences regarding fighters' date=' introductions, fighting rules, and fighting apparatus. They love fellow Japanese fighters, they love crazy and over the top introductions, they allow foot stomps, some allow knees to downed opponents, and they usually fight in a ring. The UFC mentality and business model will be ineffective in the Japanese marketplace. It would need to be completely adapted to meet the Japanese consumer. Lets leave those promotions alone, as they offer great fights, some more spectacles than anything else (i.e, Hong Man Choi vs. Jose Canseco), which gives us variety and some competition to the MMA landscape. There isn't enough depth in the Japanese MMA promotions in terms of fighters to warrant a purchase of these entities, however, with Pride there was a huge population of great fighters who strengthened the ranks of the UFC (i.e., A. Silva, Nog, Rampage, Wanderlei, etc...).[/quote']

totally agree

Yes' date=' so all the best fighters will be under 1 roof.[/quote']

No, so he can make the most money.

It's not about having the best. The UFC has never expressed any interest in Jake Sheilds.

The ufc is not interested in hiring Nick Diaz. So forth and so on.

The ufc has expanded to other nations and to my understanding done fairly well.

Will it do okay in Japan? I have no idea.

Archived