Best Guard and Best Rubber Guard?

dairzy_horne

I am very biased. I believe one day Dustin will capture the WW or MW title. I believe he is that good. He needs to step up his game and start taking guys down rather than engaging in a stand up war. His BJJ is so good, he should clinch and pull guard whenever possible. I'm glad he's developing his stand up and wrestling, but for the time being, he needs to rely on his bread and butter. Dustin, " I do not want to see another KO."

I'd have to go with Demian Maia with best guard and best rubber guard I'd probley give to Dustin Hazlette?

your thoughts?

i don't understand the dustin hazelett call, he hasn't faced top level competition.

i'd go maia and penn.

i don't understand the dustin hazelett call' date=' he hasn't faced top level competition.

i'd go maia and penn.[/quote']

You are correct, Dustin has not face top competition but you cannot deny the fact that he is very good at JJ. He, IMO will be more of a threat to GSP than Penn. With his long limbs, he could control GSP better than Penn, while on his back.

You are correct' date=' Dustin has not face top competition but you cannot deny the fact that he is very good at JJ. He, IMO will be more of a threat to GSP than Penn. With his long limbs, he could control GSP better than Penn, while on his back.[/quote']

we'll have to wait and see, i'm not denying he has skill, but can he do what he does against the top of the division? just have to wait and see.

Maia with best guard.

BJ with the best rubber.

Actually... Aoki with the best rubber.

And BJ's guard is pretty legendary' date=' though I'd still give it to Maia.[/quote']

when ever i see aoki mentioned i just think of when he broke that dudes arm then pulled the finger at him, that was brutal, it'd be cool to see him in the ufc

when ever i see aoki mentioned i just think of when he broke that dudes arm then pulled the finger at him' date=' that was brutal, it'd be cool to see him in the ufc[/quote']

Lol I'm never going to get tired of that one.

But yeah, you should see the gogoplata he pulls off.

Freaking crazy man.

I don't mean to bash BJ, he's definitely my favourite fighter, but I think that there is a serious lack of good BJJ LWs in the UFC, so even though his BJJ is amazing I don't see it being tested. On the other hand Maia has the best everything when it comes to BJJ. BJJ was the first martial arts I started training in and I can't help but have enormous respect for the guy.

I reckon George Sotiropolous has the skill to test BJ on the ground...like Joe Rogan said' date='George's ability to pass guard "is a thing of beauty"[/quote']

Yeah George is good and has a great rubber guard, which he showed on Joe Daddy, but BJ is at least one level above him. BJ doesn't even have to be on the ground with him to be victorious. BJ is too good of a striker.

well.... i would have to say the best guard vs any of the current mma fighters would be...

kyra gracie' date=' part of the male brain would not let you leave[/quote']

Oh God.

Imagine getting triangle choked by her :D

I wouldn't mind passing out in there.

Yeah George is good and has a great rubber guard' date=' which he showed on Joe Daddy, but BJ is at least one level above him. BJ doesn't even have to be on the ground with him to be victorious. BJ is too good of a striker.[/quote']

I agree that George isn't ready yet..but i see him becoming a contender sooner rather then later...with his boxing background,his striking is pretty crisp and he seems to just be getting better with every fight..another thing in his favour is he never seems to get flustered.his composure under pressure is brilliant.I cant wait to see his next fight

BJ Penn is ahead of everyone in that aspect of the game by far.

This. BJ Penn's guard is IMO the best in MMA today. His flexibility has no equal.

I don't want to hear anyone say " well yeah GSP worked him over and pummeled him while in his guard". It's a little different when u have a much bigger and stronger opponent on top of you, not to mention BJ didn't train properly for their 2nd fight and GSP is one hell of a wrestler.

Rubber guard has to be Aoki, his overall flexibility in his hip and knees is just crazy. He has proved it so often with his sub finishes. Nobody has shown finishes like him in mma, he proved the 10th planet system works. In guard traditional Bjj i would say Maia he is so smooth of his back outside or ufc it goes to Roger Gracie all day long. Honourable mention to Nick Diaz aswell i think aswell for both.

Archived