Catchweight Bouts

reliquary26

What are people's opinions in the UFC introducing more catchweight bouts to fight cards?

In my opinion, I think catchweight bouts offer the chance for some interesting inter-divisional matchups, at least amongst well-known fighters who are on the way down, never really in the picture for short term (or even long term) title-shots and sentimental favorites - but all who are capable of putting on a show.

Case in point - Rich Franklin. I really love the guy, but is he going to get a shot at the LHW belt in the UFC now with Shogun, Machida, Couture, Rampage, Rashad and Jones? The reality is probably not ... which is why his last three bouts with henderson, silva and belfort have been at catchweight - probably for the purpose that they're intriguing match-ups and fans like well-known names going up against each other.

I think there could be some interesting catchweight bouts, which fans would be attracted to ... for example, four that come to mind are:

Matt Hughes vs Sean Sherk

Chris Lytle vs Clay Guida

Chris Leben vs Keith Jardine

Drew McFedries vs Stephan Bonnar

Obviously, these fighters have up-and-down records (with the exception of sherk and hughes) but they would all be very entertaining matches to watch, and I think it's interesting to see two fighters in neighbouring weight divisions test themselves out.

I personally like the idea, but maybe I'm wrong - what do people think?

What are people's opinions in the UFC introducing more catchweight bouts to fight cards?

In my opinion' date=' I think catchweight bouts offer the chance for some interesting inter-divisional matchups, at least amongst well-known fighters who are on the way down, never really in the picture for short term (or even long term) title-shots and sentimental favorites - but all who are capable of putting on a show.

Case in point - Rich Franklin. I really love the guy, but is he going to get a shot at the LHW belt in the UFC now with Shogun, Machida, Couture, Rampage, Rashad and Jones? The reality is probably not ... which is why his last three bouts with henderson, silva and belfort have been at catchweight - probably for the purpose that they're intriguing match-ups and fans like well-known names going up against each other.

I think there could be some interesting catchweight bouts, which fans would be attracted to ... for example, four that come to mind are:

Matt Hughes vs Sean Sherk

Chris Lytle vs Clay Guida

Chris Leben vs Keith Jardine

Drew McFedries vs Stephan Bonnar

Obviously, these fighters have up-and-down records (with the exception of sherk and hughes) but they would all be very entertaining matches to watch, and I think it's interesting to see two fighters in neighbouring weight divisions test themselves out.

I personally like the idea, but maybe I'm wrong - what do people think?[/quote']

yeah, i don't see why not.

Yes, I'd love to see more catchweight bouts - and personally, I'll always want to watch Guida, no matter who he fights and no matter what his win/loss columns say.

Only tricky part is that most of the heavier fighters (MW & up) would not be able to cut down an extra 10 pounds without a couple of extra months to do it and a lot of them wouldn't be able to do it at all. Most LHW's are actually 220-230 when they step in the cage for a fight...be pretty tough for these guys to make 195.

Archived