What is the most PAINFUL submission move and why??

EsaT

in my opinion it all depends on your flexibility. Kimuras can be really painfull and similar shoulder locks especially if your not fully warmed up. I find its the subs you think you can get out of as you end up getting them really cranked and that kills then. Ankle locks can be really annoying aswell i find.

Anything really below the waste sucks because it usually doesn't start hurting until its about to break, whereas an armbar for example will start to hurt, then it will pop once or twice, then break, giving you the time to tap, where as if someone gets you in a knee bar and you don't tap right away it could be broken before you even feel the pain. This is also why most BJJ teacher won't teach you leg locks until you area purple belt or higher, simply to avoid injury from reckless white belts who over power every move instead of using technique.

As for the gogoplata, this hurts mainly because the top of the foot drives your adam's apple back and it hurts your throat, it feels completely different from a rear naked or guillotine. This is another move like the leg locks that aren't allowed in BJJ competition until you have your purple belt I'm pretty sure.

Personally while grappling I am terrified of leg/ankle/knee locks because they are annoying at first but it only takes a little more power to mess up your leg/knee for life.

My thoughts also.

Heel hooks can do a ton of damage, as well as knee bars.

I dont think chokes are the most painful subs...

You just get put to sleep if you dont tap..

I find most leg locks to be painful and theres very small margin between OK-VERY PAINFUL-BLOWN KNEE/ANKLE..

Obviously Kimuras and armbars can be very painfull aswell depending on how stubborn you are!!

It depends on the choke. There are 3 different kinds of chokes; wind chokes, blood chokes, and pain chokes. But I will agree that they aren't the most painful.

I think the sub that I would find most painful would be a not very tight triangle choke. Why? Because if I am stuck there, but it's not enough to make me tap. Whats going to happen? Elbows/fists to the face while your face is in another dude's junk. That is painful both to my head and my ego.

Although not legal, small joint locks can be extremely painful (i.e, wrist, finger and toe locks). Can openers can be very painful due to the pressure on your spine. Triangle body lock when taking the back can be very painful, due to the pressure on the lower spine. Pain submissions (i.e., knee to chin and neck cranks) can also be brutal.

Although not legal' date=' small joint locks can be extremely painful (i.e, wrist, finger and toe locks). Can openers can be very painful due to the pressure on your spine. Triangle body lock when taking the back can be very painful, due to the pressure on the lower spine. Pain submissions (i.e., knee to chin and neck cranks) can also be brutal.[/quote']

very good point, alot of newbies often always get tapped with a body triangle. You do learn correct postures but so many people tap when they start even when there done from the bottom as they hurt.

I've never heard of a pain choke dude??

When a choke isn't sunk in securely, for example trying to attempt a rear naked choke with your forearm across their chin. Or a guillatine with your arm across their jaw bone. They aren't going to pass out, but if you squeeze/twist and put enough torque on it, some people can't deal with the pain and tap. You don't see it as often in the higher ranked leagues obviously. But it's pretty common in your local MMA events.

I have to say the kneebar.

It was the first sub I ever really got caught in when actually trying, and the guy cranked.

Hurt like hell.

Kimura is a close second, but only if you have bad flexibility, and are stupid enough not to tap.

Americana is pretty bad too.

the Kimura is for me. because you can kinda fight it off so it takes me longer to tap from 1, unlike the armbar because once its in you either tap or watch your arm break in half. and leg locks can be really bad but i have very flexible legs and it takes a lot more to get me to tap from one.

When a choke isn't sunk in securely' date=' for example trying to attempt a rear naked choke with your forearm across their chin. Or a guillatine with your arm across their jaw bone. They aren't going to pass out, but if you squeeze/twist and put enough torque on it, some people can't deal with the pain and tap. You don't see it as often in the higher ranked leagues obviously. But it's pretty common in your local MMA events.[/quote']

This is a good point, when you dont have a gumshield in and they get it accross your mouth it hurts. Also i was going to say gi chockes hurt as they burn like hell after

When a choke isn't sunk in securely' date=' for example trying to attempt a rear naked choke with your forearm across their chin. Or a guillatine with your arm across their jaw bone. They aren't going to pass out, but if you squeeze/twist and put enough torque on it, some people can't deal with the pain and tap. You don't see it as often in the higher ranked leagues obviously. But it's pretty common in your local MMA events.[/quote']

Ye actually I hate that...

Always happens when i'm sparring wit guys...I hate the pain and just dont wanna tap to give the guy the satisfaction of winning wit a choke not locked in!!

so frustrating!!!

Ye actually I hate that...

Always happens when i'm sparring wit guys...I hate the pain and just dont wanna tap to give the guy the satisfaction of winning wit a choke not locked in!!

so frustrating!!!

I feel you....i refused to give up my neck to the JJ instructor and he decided to put his forearm accross my jaw and tuned my head so i was looking at the tatoos on my back, that was pretty painful....on a lighter note i heard the camel clutch is a pretty sick move (sorry was just too good of an oppurtunity to pass up)

Reverse heel hook is very very painful and once it's secured it doesn't take much at all to apply. It can damage your ankle or your knee and for me atleast it seems I have a little more leeway when caught in a regular heel hook. If caught in a reverse heel hook if you don't escape immediately it's almost insta-tap.

I think the leverage is very powerful from that position because it's such a vulnerable position to have your leg in, in the first place. It really doesn't take much at all.

Edit: Crucifix neck crank is also very nasty and quite dangerous.

Archived