UFC 111 – Frank Mir admits he grew in respect for Shane Carwin after fight with Gonza

UFCGOD1

Speaking via ESPN.co.uk, Mir said:

“Before [Carwin's last fight] he went out there and destroyed people pretty quickly. But there’s been other heavyweights who have come out on the scene really fast, then the first time you see someone under any kind of adversity you really get to see whether or not they’re going to make it. I’ve seen more than my share of potential guys crack under the first sign of it.”

“That fight with Gonzaga, Gonzaga has fought for a title. He’s a world class competitor and Shane was in trouble a little bit earlier in the fight and was actually in a very bad position. His back was on the ground, stuffed against the cage but Carwin was able to immediately get up to his feet and turned around and not even just survived, but actually, within 30 seconds of being in a bad spot, turned it around and came out victorious with a knockout. It impressed me immensely and that’s when I realized that he was somebody to be reckoned with.”

It's a catch 22 for Frank Mir to continually describe his opponents as cans. If he wins he beat an over-hyped nobody, If he loses, he moves 10 steps back. Even if everyone believes Mir should beat Carwin, the victory looks more legit if he remains respectful and plays up his opponents strengths.

Archived