Why is everyone freaking out about Jones at the weigh-ins?

ForrestGriffinFan101

It just seemed completely out of place, considering the lack of trash talking or bad blood between these two, he was obviously just pumped up, but it was pretty disrespectful and uncalled for. I still want him to win though, that way we won't have to see Vera's ridiculous victory celebration again :)

It just seemed completely out of place' date=' considering the lack of trash talking or bad blood between these two, he was obviously just pumped up, but it was pretty disrespectful and uncalled for. I still want him to win though, that way we won't have to see Vera's ridiculous victory celebration again :)[/quote']

I kind of think it was acting, you know? Because that's completely out of character for Bones.

He is possibly most well-spoken' date=' respectful fighter that I have ever seen go into the octagon. He gets pumped for his first main event and decides to have some fun and everyone wants him to get ko'd now. Why?[/quote']

Idk I still think that he is cool tho...

first off his brother was the one yelling not Jon. Second Jon doesn't like Vera for comments that he has made over "the second coming of Jesus Christ" Vera is a good fighter and this should be a great fight but Jonny doesn't like him. It's ok people!

I completely agree with you! Bones is awesome and will win tonight. Also the Jesus Christ comment might have made him a little more mad because Bones is a hardcore Christian.

I completely agree with you! Bones is awesome and will win tonight. Also the Jesus Christ comment might have made him a little more mad because Bones is a hardcore Christian.

yes he is! I've talked to him and it really rubbed him the wrong way. I'm good friends with Jon and really want to see him win! I hope the anger is out and he stays calm. Vera is a good fighter!

I want Vera to win this after that. I'm not freaking out about Jones at the weigh-ins, it wasn't a huge deal, but I just thought it was cool how Vera kept his cool instead of stooping down to his level. And people he wasn't scared...he got more determined after that and now I'm even more excited for this fight. Vera via UD.

Well I don't like how Jones is being built up by a lot of people like he is the best thing since sliced bread. You would think he is the best Light Heavy to walk the face of the earth. Yeah he is on a good streak and did completely dominate Hammil until the legal elbows but it appears to be a bit of slop in his fighting. He's not as clean as a lot of the more experienced fighters. Yaeh he has had some wins, but over who exactly? This is really his first chance to prove he really does have something. I'm a Vera fan myself cause, well he is a hometown guy and I know his original coach in Hampton Roads, VA. That and I like his Muay Thai skills. Similar to how I do using the different kicks at different ranges and areas. I think the slop and over excitement is going to be how Jones is going to lose. I don't think it's going to be by KO but I think Vera will when from experience and technical prowess.

I want Vera to win this after that. I'm not freaking out about Jones at the weigh-ins' date=' it wasn't a huge deal, but I just thought it was cool how Vera kept his cool instead of stooping down to his level. And people he wasn't scared...he got more determined after that and now I'm even more excited for this fight. Vera via UD.[/quote']

If Vera is more determined now why do you have him winning a UD???? It's gonna be a great fight I think. He's saying a fight of the year. I don't think a UD is contender for a fight of the year. I'm very excited for this fight.

If Vera is more determined now why do you have him winning a UD???? It's gonna be a great fight I think. He's saying a fight of the year. I don't think a UD is contender for a fight of the year. I'm very excited for this fight.

I think Bones will win this one. I'm wayy excited for it too. I think it's cool that you know Jon he seems like a really nice guy and he never disrespects people in his interviews and is really smart and humble.

I think Bones will win this one. I'm wayy excited for it too. I think it's cool that you know Jon he seems like a really nice guy and he never disrespects people in his interviews and is really smart and humble.

Yeah his is a very nice guy! He's young and has a lot to learn, but the best step he could ever take he did..... going to Jacksons camp! He's training with some of the top fighters now! He's coming in a bigger 206 then before. He's fast enough to evade the powerful kicks from Vera. Let's hope enough of them miss! haha

It is irrelavent if he was acting or not. I finally watched the vid after seeing all the flap and I gotta say if momentarilly getting in an opponents face is so bad to you than maybe you should look into another sport. If I had watched that vid without all the uproar it would have seemed a non incident to me, just a fighter trying to get folks pumped.

Wimps!

I thought it was fine, as if Wanderlai nevers gets in peoples faces in staredowns...Bones seemed very excited but a bit nervous, I think the nerves may affect him come fight time tonight, it's an interesting angle to this fight i did not see materialising considering Bones is always so calm, cool and collected

I kind of think it was acting' date=' you know?[/quote']

And what's the difference?

Actually that's even worse - because it'd mean that he disrespected his opponent deliberately, and not driven by overwhelming adrenaline rush, which would at least to some extent serve as a little excuse for that childish, neanderthal behaviour.

He is possibly most well-spoken' date=' respectful fighter that I have ever seen go into the octagon. He gets pumped for his first main event and decides to have some fun and everyone wants him to get ko'd now. Why?[/quote']

yeah the ****e Vera was saying about him would get me pumped as well, WAR JONES

Does Couture vs Nogueira ring a bell?

first off his brother was the one yelling not Jon. Second Jon doesn't like Vera for comments that he has made over "the second coming of Jesus Christ" Vera is a good fighter and this should be a great fight but Jonny doesn't like him. It's ok people!

exactly, you want to talk about disrespect i can't think of any thing more disrespectful than someone referring to someone as jesus christ. Total lack of respect by vera, and i mean bones is what 22 so i mean he still has a lot of testosterone and being younger it is harder to let things go but he will learn, bones KO

It is irrelavent if he was acting or not. I finally watched the vid after seeing all the flap and I gotta say if momentarilly getting in an opponents face is so bad to you than maybe you should look into another sport. If I had watched that vid without all the uproar it would have seemed a non incident to me' date=' just a fighter trying to get folks pumped.

Wimps![/quote']

I agree. It was nothing. Wanderlai silva does it all the time and people love it. They were going to beat the cr@p out of eachother the next day so why is jones getting in veras face so bad? Just because he may not have done it in the past doesnt mean anything either.

i haven't seen the weigh ins, and i still want vera to win, just sayin'.

Good little video explanation by Jonny Bones

A couple things i will say, Bones is a young fighter and as a young fighter he hasn't had to deal with these experiences yet so yeah it looks like he got a little fired up I dont see this as a big deal.

So far in his UFC career he has handled his opponents, the publicity and the hype with the kind of poise you would expect from someone much older and seasoned. In interviews he always shows respect to his opponents and if anything, he is slightly self-deprecating, stating on several occasions that he is young and still learning. In MMA you are bound to run into at least one opponent that rubs you the wrong way, thats just reality. Vera is not a bad guy either but he has a history of being a little ****y with his comments (wasn't he supposed to be the HW and LHW champ at the same time?)

The point is, the comments have probably been bothering Bones for a while but rather than trash talk, he stayed quiet and it just boiled over a bit. He didn't really talk much trash on that vid after either so that leads me to believe he's just a bit more fired up than normal. Seems like he is aware of it and likely won't let it lead him to fight sloppy out of anger.

I see Jones and Vera being an exciting fight when they are on the feet. Likely there will be some clinching and grappling and thats where i believe Bones's superior athleticism will shine. Look for him to thrown/trip and posture up in a dominant position and rain down (legal) strikes. He just needs to avoid Vera's big kicks and muay thai strikes and make sure he's aware of Vera's hip position on the ground, and don't leave an arm or his head out for the taking. I expect a good performance from Bones and hopefully after his last fight the Vera of old will show up. We should learn a lot about both fighters from this one.

Jonny Bones KO/TKO rd 3 (after a spirited effort from Vera)

• 2 years later...
Especially coming off of a loss where Hamil exposed him on his lack of knowledge on MMA rules.

lol vera will expose him...funny to see now

i remember this fight though...it was pretty entertaining

i like when guys are coming up more than when they are the champ...for example, i like texeira right now but i feel that if he becomes champ some of the shock value is gone

lol vera will expose him...funny to see now

i remember this fight though...it was pretty entertaining

i like when guys are coming up more than when they are the champ...for example' date=' i like texeira right now but i feel that if he becomes champ some of the shock value is gone[/quote']

Yeah. Especially when someone is as dominant as Jones. I'm kinda just waiting for him to go to HW now. Hopefully someone will challenge him soon.

Archived