American History

BType13x2

Most Americans are aware to some degree of just who Benedict Arnold was. His name is synonymous with Traitor and he has often been demonized throughout history. I think its important though before anyone reserves judgment on another man to understand the fullness of the situation that lead to their actions.

First before you look at Arnold's betrayal you will find that he was pretty much the beacon of virtue. He supported his sister and alcoholic father after his mother died, and enlisted in the army to fight off the French Invasion when he was only 15. He even fought in a duel against someone who used the word "Yankee" as an insult. He Planned the siege of Fort Ticonderoga which was successful and it was on his way back from this that he learned his wife had died. But he kept going helping to plan the invasion of Quebec . Which he held position for weeks despite being cut off and shot in the leg. Held back the British at Lake Champlain, was key in the Danbury raid and was essential in the Battle of Saratoga.

How was he rewarded for his service? He was passed over for promotions repeatedly, and other officers took credit for his accomplishments. Oh and Charges were laid against him for corruption by his political enemies. And after congress investigated his accounts they found he owed them money after he had spent much of his own money on the war effort. Not to mention the public slander in the newspapers of the day. So he is basically rewarded for his service to his country by being court marshaled, fined, passed over for promotions and having other people take credit for what his actions. Factor all of this in with the pending alliance to France whom he'd fought against when he was 15 and one might understand why he decided to change sides.

Now its okay to be patriotic and love your country but if you were in his shoes, having given as much as he did and treated as poorly in return can you honestly say that you wouldn't be considering flip flopping sides as well? Would you have respected him more if rather then being covert about it he simply yelled, "**** all of you, I'm with England now." And then rode off while flipping everyone off? I guess its the betrayal that irks people more but really America had already betrayed him at that point.

*Edit* I should mention that I am doing a distance study thing through university right now in my spare time. This is part of the history course I am taking and we are studying famous betrayals.

Very interesting thought. I love history' date=' but unfortunatley I did not study this case in detail. There were many loyalists who petitioned the revolution and refused to take part in the effort. Did he change sides before or during the Revolution? I forgot.[/quote']

He pretty much swapped sides towards the end of the war. He was going to hand over West Point to the British which was of strategic importance and that may have resulted in the capture of George Washington.

But all things considered I understand why he did what he did.

Lets make it a modern story.

Soldier in Iraq. Stoplossed, owed backpay and having issues with his command. Now he has thre options.

1 nothing

2 nothing now but seek legal remedies later

3 switch sides, get $$$$$ and kill Americans for the wrongs

Now personally I think 1 is being a push over and 3 is despicable. 2 is a tough route but a poorly treated veteran is not something that the gov't wants. it looks bad, really bad.

interesting take on arnold

all i have ever heard about him were bad things' date=' nice to see a different perspective[/quote']

See that's the thing about history and news you never get both sides of the story because it always gets twisted somehow to favor one side over the other. Thats why when you hear about something you need to look at both sides and realize that the truth of the matter is always somewhere in the center.

See that's the thing about history and news you never get both sides of the story because it always gets twisted somehow to favor one side over the other. Thats why when you hear about something you need to look at both sides and realize that the truth of the matter is always somewhere in the center.

very true

and funny enough, history has correct answers but there is not only one answer.

Here's something that I'm not sure alot of Americans learn in School but, during the war of 1812 the British and Canadian Forces burned down the Whitehouse. This was done because it was in retaliation to American Forces burning down York (Modern day Toronto) At the time it was considered against the civilized rules of war to attack and burn non Military facilities.

The American's when they attacked York not only attacked political facilities but the homes of private citizens. So our retaliation although viewed as heinous by American's at the time was not proportionate to the amount of damage done by the American's to one of our cities.

and i have to say

russia has the greatest modern history. its fascinating

Yes it does it can be summarized in 4 Words:

Autocracy

Militarization

Expansion

Revolution

As long as you remember AMER or REMA your good to go for Russian history. Although alot of the truly interesting tidbits are still held by the Iron Curtain. Were still trying to figure out what was fact and fiction.

Yes it does it can be summarized in 4 Words:

Autocracy

Militarization

Expansion

Revolution

As long as you remember AMER or REMA your good to go for Russian history. Although alot of the truly interesting tidbits are still held by the Iron Curtain. Were still trying to figure out what was fact and fiction.

all i have to say

rasputin. the guy was a stud.

Most Americans are aware to some degree of just who Benedict Arnold was. His name is synonymous with Traitor and he has often been demonized throughout history. I think its important though before anyone reserves judgment on another man to understand the fullness of the situation that lead to their actions.

First before you look at Arnold's betrayal you will find that he was pretty much the beacon of virtue. He supported his sister and alcoholic father after his mother died' date=' and enlisted in the army to fight off the French Invasion when he was only 15. He even fought in a duel against someone who used the word "Yankee" as an insult. He Planned the siege of Fort Ticonderoga which was successful and it was on his way back from this that he learned his wife had died. But he kept going helping to plan the invasion of Quebec . Which he held position for weeks despite being cut off and shot in the leg. Held back the British at Lake Champlain, was key in the Danbury raid and was essential in the Battle of Saratoga.

How was he rewarded for his service? He was passed over for promotions repeatedly, and other officers took credit for his accomplishments. [b']Oh and Charges were laid against him for corruption by his political enemies[/b]. And after congress investigated his accounts they found he owed them money after he had spent much of his own money on the war effort. Not to mention the public slander in the newspapers of the day. So he is basically rewarded for his service to his country by being court marshaled, fined, passed over for promotions and having other people take credit for what his actions. Factor all of this in with the pending alliance to France whom he'd fought against when he was 15 and one might understand why he decided to change sides.

Now its okay to be patriotic and love your country but if you were in his shoes, having given as much as he did and treated as poorly in return can you honestly say that you wouldn't be considering flip flopping sides as well? Would you have respected him more if rather then being covert about it he simply yelled, "**** all of you, I'm with England now." And then rode off while flipping everyone off? I guess its the betrayal that irks people more but really America had already betrayed him at that point.

*Edit* I should mention that I am doing a distance study thing through university right now in my spare time. This is part of the history course I am taking and we are studying famous betrayals.

I'm pro Republican, but isn't this what those Republicans going to do with Obama. I pity the dude, why can't they give him a chance, besides this is his term, let him do what he wants.

Archived