Lol@ the children blaming James Irvin

tunz

There would be no way James could have known at the time of the punch that it was in fact NOT a poke. To the ignorant people who are saying "OMG NO RESPECT FOR IRVIN ANYMORE" grow up haha.

Obviously its reallly unfortunate what happened but he has no control over what happened after he beleived he was poked. there could have been alternate ways to deal with it such as just take a point from irvin guaranteeing sakara the round. obviously james would want to keep going if he had control over it, it was his first fight back since being destroyed by a silva

I bet you won't hear Irvin say it but it wasn't the punch that got him it was the corner of the glove as the punch came in sideways. I have sparred with the gloves and got hit the same way. There is a seam and a corner there and when it is not flush it can hurt like a b*tch and even cause cuts. Cuts from hammerfists come from that.

Anyway it happens,and it happened from a "punch" so it was a legit call, Irvin didn't stop it the ref did.

irvin is going to have a hard time in the middleweight. i can already see it he didnt look good since the fight started i knew sakara had it in the bag when i saw the first minute. irvin should just move back up its too much weight to cut for a stalky big guy like irvin. such a bad move on his behalf.

There would be no way James could have known at the time of the punch that it was in fact NOT a poke. To the ignorant people who are saying "OMG NO RESPECT FOR IRVIN ANYMORE" grow up haha.

Obviously its reallly unfortunate what happened but he has no control over what happened after he beleived he was poked. there could have been alternate ways to deal with it such as just take a point from irvin guaranteeing sakara the round. obviously james would want to keep going if he had control over it' date=' it was his first fight back since being destroyed by a silva[/quote']

Okay guys...I'm a chick and fairly new to watching MMA...so be nice!

Can someone explain to me why the Irvin fight ended the way it did when the Buentello fight didn't end with the pinky issue? I mean Irvin gets it in the eye and backs off....Buentello injures his pinky and backs off. In both cases the referee stops the fight. The doctor looks at each fighter. Then Irvin's ref calls the fight, even though he had opened his eye and seemed like he was okay. But, Buentello's ref didn't call the fight and let's them continue. I don't get it.

And tunz is 100% right...to Irvin it felt like a poke, what the hell else was he gonna do but back off? And as another poster noted, it could have been the edge of the glove in his eye. If the rules state no eye gouging of any kind then why was a knuckle in the eye legal? I'm not saying it was intentional, and I get that it was a punch, but is a direct hit to the eye with a knuckle vs. a finger that different?

I say Irvin got screwed.

Okay guys...I'm a chick and fairly new to watching MMA...so be nice!

Can someone explain to me why the Irvin fight ended the way it did when the Buentello fight didn't end with the pinky issue? I mean Irvin gets it in the eye and backs off....Buentello injures his pinky and backs off. In both cases the referee stops the fight. The doctor looks at each fighter. Then Irvin's ref calls the fight' date=' even though he had opened his eye and seemed like he was okay. But, Buentello's ref didn't call the fight and let's them continue. I don't get it.

And tunz is 100% right...to Irvin it felt like a poke, what the hell else was he gonna do but back off? And as another poster noted, it could have been the edge of the glove in his eye. If the rules state no eye gouging of any kind then why was a knuckle in the eye legal? I'm not saying it was intentional, and I get that it was a punch, but is a direct hit to the eye with a knuckle vs. a finger that different?

I say Irvin got screwed.[/quote']

Thats a great question and Tbh I think they didn't want two fights to end "iffy" in a row.

They really should have let Irvin fight but it was a legit stoppage.

well i believe it's because he would have been finished right there if it didn't get stopped, but with something like a potentially broken bone there's reason to stop it... idk, but you're right ^ to the lady comment. I thought he had ruptured his eye or something, you could see his eye was leaking pretty bad at first.

Obviously its reallly unfortunate what happened but he has no control over what happened after he beleived he was poked. there could have been alternate ways to deal with it such as just take a point from irvin guaranteeing sakara the round. obviously james would want to keep going if he had control over it' date=' it was his first fight back since being destroyed by a silva[/quote']

Me and my buddies were wondering you who was gonna make this excuse first. You win.

well i believe it's because he would have been finished right there if it didn't get stopped' date=' but with something like a potentially broken bone there's reason to stop it... idk, but you're right ^ to the lady comment. I thought he had ruptured his eye or something, you could see his eye was leaking pretty bad at first.[/quote']

And I totally get stopping it. BUT...it didn't look like the doctor said to stop the fight. When he finally had his eye opened he seemed okay (granted I don't know that for sure), so it seems if he had a different ref the fight might have continued. He seemed really bummed out about the decision.

Thanks for indulging me guys.

if it was a legit poke then they would have continued the fight but Sakara hurt him BAD and would have TKO'd Irvin if the ref didnt step in

you cant take a break from the fight if you get punched in the eye. if you look defenseless then its gona get stopped

I totally agree but Irvin's slave brought up a good point that Buentello should have been stopped as well. He couldn't continue for a few seconds. I was thinking that as well during the fight "Boy I hope it doesn't get stopped".

Might not have been what everyone wanted to see but it's a legit point.

Don't know if it was answered but they popped buentellos finger back into place and yes some of the elbows were to the hip but not the last couple like Joe thought. In the replay you can see one lands good in the love handle and another is like a kidney shot. You can clearly see some land right above his trunks which are much higher then where his hip is. Plus he was gassed and had nothing to offer to stop the takedowns because obviously he thought he was gonna get a stand up battle with someone known for kickboxing.

Oh yeah and Irvin needs to go back to LHW he cut way too much weight you could see he was still much smaller even after rehydrating. When he fought at HW he was like 222-224. That's a legit 205er he cut way too much weight and paid for it. Stupid move really just because anderson wasted him at 205 doesn't mean he needs to drop down. Not like he's taking either belt he might as well take fights with gatekeepers at a comfortable weight cut.

Don't know if it was answered but they popped buentellos finger back into place and yes some of the elbows were to the hip but not the last couple like Joe thought. In the replay you can see one lands good in the love handle and another is like a kidney shot. You can clearly see some land right above his trunks which are much higher then where his hip is. Plus he was gassed and had nothing to offer to stop the takedowns because obviously he thought he was gonna get a stand up battle with someone known for kickboxing.

Oh yeah and Irvin needs to go back to LHW he cut way too much weight you could see he was still much smaller even after rehydrating. When he fought at HW he was like 222-224. That's a legit 205er he cut way too much weight and paid for it. Stupid move really just because anderson wasted him at 205 doesn't mean he needs to drop down. Not like he's taking either belt he might as well take fights with gatekeepers at a comfortable weight cut.

Why can't I resist forums??? I just end up getting pissed off.

Okay...

Regarding the weight cut for Irvin...from what I read he did it because he thought he might have an advantage with height and reach. Now you can't say that he was wrong based on tonight's fight. I still contend it was just lousy circumstances and a sucky ref. Guys change weight classes all the time, often for the challenge. And I don't think it has anything to do with Silva. He said he's not looking for a rematch with Silva. I think he's just ready to put that behind him and keep fighting. Besides...Silva is middleweight now anyway, so he obviously wasn't trying to get away from Silva.

To "legionarivs6" and "Gangs" comments about him milking the hit...regardless if it had been a finger, a knuckle, the edge of the glove, or just a punch he took it to the eye. So, how's that milking it? It's not like he actually took it to the cheek bone or something...it was directly in his eye socket. The man has been hit in the right eye before, so I think it's totally understandable he thought it was a poke. Have you ever been poked in the eye? I've accidentally done it to myself AND, I've gotten hairspray in the eye, so let me tell you...any time something messes with your eye, it hurts like a mother f*cker...just like he said!

To "the_bear413" comment regarding him sucking...he himself has said he's not the best fighter out there, but have you seen his fights against Martin and Alexander? Come on! They were great fights! Yeah, he lost to Anderson Silva, but everyone has since 2006! Irvin said he was like the 5th person they called to fight Silva, so at least he had the balls to fight him! You have to give him some credit for that.

Archived