Stop disrespecting our sport!

wickedfusion

I'm 27 and I been an MMA fan for over 10 years now. I love everything about mma and what it's about. However, I can't stand most of the fans at the shows, not all of them, there are alot of nice and respectful people I meet at the shows. It's the people that show disrespect to the fighters and the refs. The ones that boo as soon as the ground game starts. The last couple of shows I have been to and even the ones I see on T.V. you constantly hear people booing the fighters if they have been on the ground for more than 10 seconds. The ground game is part of MMA. wrestling, BJJ, Judo all ties into MMA and there's no reason to start booing if there on the ground. It's basically a chess match and it sometimes can take time to set things up. Now I guess I can understand the little Boos if they have been on the ground for over a couple minutes and neither fighter has not done anything at all and they are basically resting, yes I would want the ref to stand them up to. however, That's not the case when I hear the fans booing and cussing out the fighters and refs. Most the time as soon as the fighters hit the ground and they are moving around and trying to set things up, not even 20 seconds later I start hearing the booing and yelling again. Now I don't remember hearing this **** a few years ago, so the only thing I can think of is it has to be the new fans that are now starting to get into MMA. It's just so irritating to hear because the ground game takes time sometimes and the fighters that train hard everyday have to hear that **** and it's so disrespectful to the true fans of mma and especially to the fighters.

This isn't the WWE, if you don't like something happening or a fighter in the ring or cage you just start booing. If you don't like the ground game then just stick to boxing, don't bring your negativity to our sport, or just keep it yourself! the true fans of the sport that have been around the MMA scene for a long time don't want to hear your ignorance, especially the fighters and the refs. Also think about what you put the refs through with your childish Booing ****, they know there's no reason to stand them up, because they are not going to take away something that's been part of the sport from the very beginning.

So I have a question to the people that do the booing like where at WWE event, why do you do it? What's the purpose of it? What do you get out of it? Do you realise that it's a huge part of MMA and this isn't boxing? Why can't you keep it to yourself and let the true mma fans enjoy the show and let the fight play out like it's suppose to and not let it get ruined by your childish behavior?

Again this is not to everyone, this is just for the kids that think this is WWE and booing and disrespect to the fighters/refs is part of the entertainment.

I'm 27 and I been an MMA fan for over 10 years now. I love everything about mma and what it's about. However' date=' I can't stand most of the fans at the shows, not all of them, there are alot of nice and respectful people I meet at the shows. It's the people that show disrespect to the fighters and the refs. The ones that boo as soon as the ground game starts. The last couple of shows I have been to and even the ones I see on T.V. you constantly hear people booing the fighters if they have been on the ground for more than 10 seconds. The ground game is part of MMA. wrestling, BJJ, Judo all ties into MMA and there's no reason to start booing if there on the ground. It's basically a chess match and it sometimes can take time to set things up. Now I guess I can understand the little Boos if they have been on the ground for over a couple minutes and neither fighter has not done anything at all and they are basically resting, yes I would want the ref to stand them up to. however, That's not the case when I hear the fans booing and cussing out the fighters and refs. Most the time as soon as the fighters hit the ground and they are moving around and trying to set things up, not even 20 seconds later I start hearing the booing and yelling again. Now I don't remember hearing this **** a few years ago, so the only thing I can think of is it has to be the new fans that are now starting to get into MMA. It's just so irritating to hear because the ground game takes time sometimes and the fighters that train hard everyday have to hear that **** and it's so disrespectful to the true fans of mma and especially to the fighters.

This isn't the WWE, if you don't like something happening or a fighter in the ring or cage you just start booing. If you don't like the ground game then just stick to boxing, don't bring your negativity to our sport, or just keep it yourself! the true fans of the sport that have been around the MMA scene for a long time don't want to hear your ignorance, especially the fighters and the refs. Also think about what you put the refs through with your childish Booing ****, they know there's no reason to stand them up, because they are not going to take away something that's been part of the sport from the very beginning.

So I have a question to the people that do the booing like where at WWE event, why do you do it? What's the purpose of it? What do you get out of it? Do you realise that it's a huge part of MMA and this isn't boxing? Why can't you keep it to yourself and let the true mma fans enjoy the show and let the fight play out like it's suppose to and not let it get ruined by your childish behavior?

Again this is not to everyone, this is just for the kids that think this is WWE and booing and disrespect to the fighters/refs is part of the entertainment.[/quote']

I didnt read your wall of text but I agree. People who Boo the Fighters are ignorant....or from Philly.

It's a testament to the fact that standup is what sells tickets and keeps people coming back. It's also a testament to why the sport has plateaud in popularity. BJJ and ground games can and will only be appreciated by the minority of paying fans, and this will never change.

I imagine in 5-10 years, you may in fact see a split in MMA......strictly standup, and strictly BJJ/Wrestling............two entirely different sports. Wait for it.

It's a testament to the fact that standup is what sells tickets and keeps people coming back. It's also a testament to why the sport has plateaud in popularity. BJJ and ground games can and will only be appreciated by the minority of paying fans' date=' and this will never change.

I imagine in 5-10 years, you may in fact see a split in MMA......strictly standup, and strictly BJJ/Wrestling............two entirely different sports. Wait for it.[/quote']

I hope not. Then it won't be MMA. It will be K1 and the Abu Dhabi championships, which we already have.

It's a testament to the fact that standup is what sells tickets and keeps people coming back. It's also a testament to why the sport has plateaud in popularity. BJJ and ground games can and will only be appreciated by the minority of paying fans' date=' and this will never change.

I imagine in 5-10 years, you may in fact see a split in MMA......strictly standup, and strictly BJJ/Wrestling............two entirely different sports. Wait for it.[/quote']

Damn Man...haven't seen you around in a while. But ya they already have strictly standup and strictly BJJ/Wrestling....Its called Boxing and Grappling :P

[b']I imagine in 5-10 years, you may in fact see a split in MMA......strictly standup, and strictly BJJ/Wrestling............two entirely different sports. Wait for it.[/b]

It wouldn't really be MMA then...

I hope not. Then it won't be MMA. It will be K1 and the Abu Dhabi championships' date=' which we already have.[/quote']

True, but branded differently. I don't like it, but I can see it happening. Most UFC (or North American) fans don't have the slightest clue about K-1 or Abu Dhabi.....I don't like it either, but again, could see it coming to that.....strictly for money.

I hope not. Then it won't be MMA. It will be K1 and the Abu Dhabi championships' date=' which we already have.[/quote']

Not exactly though. K-1 while I do like watching it would be very different than a stand up MMA fight in 4oz gloves that allows the Muay Thai clinch.

Anyways, give it time. A lot of people are still very new at watching the sport. I have already noticed in the last couple events the refs are standing fighters up a lot quicker if there is a lull in the action on the ground or in the clinch on the cage.

I love the ground game if something in happening. Either GnP or work to pass guard improve position. All the UFC needs is to institue the yellow card/purse penalty for inaction either on the ground or standing up.

Not exactly though. K-1 while I do like watching it would be very different than a stand up MMA fight in 4oz gloves that allows the Muay Thai clinch.

Anyways' date=' give it time. A lot of people are still very new at watching the sport. I have already noticed in the last couple events the refs are standing fighters up a lot quicker if there is a lull in the action on the ground or in the clinch on the cage.

I love the ground game if something in happening. Either GnP or work to pass guard improve position. All the UFC needs is to institue the yellow card/purse penalty for inaction either on the ground or standing up.[/quote']

Good post. The yellow card needs to be in effect. Should be a global MMA rule.

What makes you think that mma has plateaued? The UFC is still spreading around the globe, surely it has to reach the majority of countries it can before it can then level out?

I'm aware that the UFC is only one organization but it is the biggest.

What makes you think that mma has plateaued? The UFC is still spreading around the globe' date=' surely it has to reach the majority of countries it can before it can then level out?

I'm aware that the UFC is only one organization but it is the biggest.[/quote']

MMA has been global for years. The UFC is not taking MMA global. It might fluctuate a bit more in a positive numbers area, but I'm quite positive as a sport, it's as big as it will get. And may in fact continue at it, which is enough to support in infinitely.

I'm 27 and I been an MMA fan for over 10 years now. I love everything about mma and what it's about. However' date=' I can't stand most of the fans at the shows, not all of them, there are alot of nice and respectful people I meet at the shows. It's the people that show disrespect to the fighters and the refs. The ones that boo as soon as the ground game starts. The last couple of shows I have been to and even the ones I see on T.V. you constantly hear people booing the fighters if they have been on the ground for more than 10 seconds. The ground game is part of MMA. wrestling, BJJ, Judo all ties into MMA and there's no reason to start booing if there on the ground. It's basically a chess match and it sometimes can take time to set things up. Now I guess I can understand the little Boos if they have been on the ground for over a couple minutes and neither fighter has not done anything at all and they are basically resting, yes I would want the ref to stand them up to. however, That's not the case when I hear the fans booing and cussing out the fighters and refs. Most the time as soon as the fighters hit the ground and they are moving around and trying to set things up, not even 20 seconds later I start hearing the booing and yelling again. Now I don't remember hearing this **** a few years ago, so the only thing I can think of is it has to be the new fans that are now starting to get into MMA. It's just so irritating to hear because the ground game takes time sometimes and the fighters that train hard everyday have to hear that **** and it's so disrespectful to the true fans of mma and especially to the fighters.

Again this is not to everyone, this is just for the kids that think this is WWE and booing and disrespect to the fighters/refs is part of the entertainment.[/quote']

People dont dislike the ground game "IDIOT" have you ever heard Big Nog get a single "boo" in the octagon?? Doubt it prob because he makes an effort to finish fights on the ground people boo the fighters that arent that active on the ground.

People have also gave "boo's" to standup fights people pay 75+ dollars to see action and the fact that you guys are such "dedicated hardcore badass fans" of MMA makes me consider the fact you guys are trying to hard to be these badass fans of MMA and love every second of it that its quite pathetic and your so worried about these (casual fans) you are forgetting to just enjoy the sport. let people boo if they want. Its a sport people "boo" all the time. Instead of these fans having to start watching WWE/Boxing I personally think you should either A. Mute the TV B. Wear earpluggs (if at event).

Anyways' date=' give it time. A lot of people are still very new at watching the sport. I have already noticed in the last couple events the refs are standing fighters up a lot quicker if there is a lull in the action on the ground or in the clinch on the cage.

I love the ground game if something in happening. Either GnP or work to pass guard improve position. All the UFC needs is to institue the yellow card/purse penalty for inaction either on the ground or standing up.[/quote']

I'm not sure about the yellow card. The FOTN bonuses should be motivation enough, and the fact that the UFC are getting more ruthless in cutting 'boring' fighters.

I think someone has had a word with the refs regarding faster stand ups of inactive ground fighting, I have also noticed the recent trend of the refs to do so.

What the so called casual fans don't realise is that the not knowing where the fight may go (standing or on the ground) leads to so many of the spectacular KO's. If the rules changed too much then the fights would end up more predictable and more decisions IMO.

I made a similar thread on the very same subject a while back.

Like you said, unfortunately those drunk fans who boo are slowly killing this sport. Fighters are being pressured by both the fans and the organization to just have sloppy stand up wars and risk losing the fight just to please the fans.

This is why I enjoy watching the old PRIDE fights and the current DREAM fights - The Japanese fans never boo. They respect each fighter for his style, no matter how exciting or boring it might be.

We should learn from them.

I agree about booing the second the fight goes to ground, is ridiculous. However, as a previous post has stated; most of the people who boo will never come onto forums like this. They are the casual MMA fans who pay to be entertained, not to appreciate skillfull ground exchanges. Unfortunately, I see the expansion of the UFC being detrimental in some respects. Money talks....................

I've always thought that if it's not broken.....don't fix it. The current rules are fine the way they are. I never heard this kind of grumbling when Royce Gracie, Dan Severne, Mark Coleman, Randy Couture, Tito Ortiz or Matt Hughs employed their ground game. I think the boos are more about who your favorite fighter is. Want proof? Go to your favorite bar this Saturday to watch Hardy v. GSP. I'll bet all GSP fans will be out of their seats wildly cheering on their man, while hardy fans and GSP haters will boo relentlessly with a big old frown on their faces!

MMA FTW! **** all you ignorant fans!!! People are indeed far too impatient these days, for example i sat and watched Live on Versus with my mates and most of them were complaining that it was a crap event etc just because it wasnt as action packed as some other events. I didn't enjoy it that much myself but i would never say it was crap because who am i to undermine what the guys do for their fans and most importantly to put food on the table for their families. End of the day these guys can't afford too many losses these days and if going to the ground is a way for them to avoid it then fair the **** enough!

People dont dislike the ground game "IDIOT" have you ever heard Big Nog get a single "boo" in the octagon?? Doubt it prob because he makes an effort to finish fights on the ground people boo the fighters that arent that active on the ground.

People have also gave "boos" to stand up fights people pay 75+ dollars to see action and the fact that you guys are such "dedicated hardcore badass fans" of MMA makes me consider the fact you guys are trying to hard to be these badass fans of MMA and love every second of it that its quite pathetic and your so worried about these (casual fans) you are forgetting to just enjoy the sport. let people boo if they want. Its a sport people "boo" all the time. Instead of these fans having to start watching WWE/Boxing I personally think you should either A. Mute the TV B. Wear earpluggs (if at event).

Wow your calling me an idiot when your the idiot for not reading what I actually wrote. I know the fans aren't booing just because of the ground game. I said they start booing if there's not immediate action on the ground. The ground game can take some time to improve your position. Like I said, I guess I can understand the boo's and a stand up if there isn't no improvement on the ground and it's been some time. However, lately people have been booing not even 15-20 seconds when the fighters hit the ground and there's not to much action going on, When the fighters are clearly just trying to set things up.

I take it your one of those people that get drunk at event and start "BOOING" and showing disrespect to the fighters and refs.

Instead of "leave your ego at the door" they should have "Leave your BOO'S at the door" at these events LOL!

The sport has gotten so popular so quick, this was bound to happen. I see this same thing quite often myself too. Plus, you shouldn't be all that suprised that there is a ****** bag or two at the fights when your standing in a room full of dudes wearing affliction and ed hardy shirts.

Wow your calling me an idiot when your the idiot for not reading what I actually wrote. I know the fans aren't booing just because of the ground game. I said they start booing if there's not immediate action on the ground. The ground game can take some time to improve your position. Like I said' date=' I guess I can understand the boo's and a stand up if there isn't no improvement on the ground and it's been some time. However, lately people have been booing not even 15-20 seconds when the fighters hit the ground and there's not to much action going on, When the fighters are clearly just trying to set things up.

I take it your one of those people that get drunk at event and start "BOOING" and showing disrespect to the fighters and refs.

Instead of "leave your ego at the door" they should have "Leave your BOO'S at the door" at these events LOL![/quote']

I just want to know where the hell you got tickets for $75. I bet this guy wears ed hardy or affliction shirts.

I don't like booing, and most of all unjustified booing. But I think people have the right to do it anyway. It's like those massive retards yelling "USA, USA, USA" I ****ing hate hearing that sh!t but I still that people can do it if they want to...You can't take that away from them, just go with the flow.

I don't like booing' date=' and most of all unjustified booing. But I think people have the right to do it anyway. It's like those massive retards yelling "USA, USA, USA" I ****ing hate hearing that sh!t but I still that people can do it if they want to...You can't take that away from them, just go with the flow.[/quote']

I do agree, they have the right to do what they want. I just don't think they realize how disrespectful it is to the fighters that work so hard to get where there at, and also to the fans, because it does piss me off when I'm at an event and into the fight and all of a sudden i hear these loud obnoxious drunken idiots behind me yelling "BOOOOOO, Stand them up!!! BOOOO!! what are u ****ing retarded ref? BOOOOO" ****ing pisses me off! because 90% of the time it's not necessary to say that. however, there are times when the ref could maybe have had them stand up a long time ago. there have been plenty of times when the ref has been slow on that.

First off who the fcuik cares how long you been a fan of mma

2nd I very much doubt that the reason for the boos, is because of new wwe fans turned mma fans

Since you prolly dont watch pro wrestling, pro wrestling fans do not boo when the fight goes to the ground. They mostly boo the heel when hes doing the talking.

So blaming them just because of? Brock being in the UFC? Its funny how 'eltist mma fans' feel so unnerved by wwe or even pro wrestling fans that take a liking to mma.

The UFC is getting bigger and more mainstream. thus alot of new people interested in seeing a brutal fight, Granted most are uneducated and dont appreciate the science when the fight does go to the ground, hopefully they will one day.

Just like at UFC1, when Gracie took the fight to the ground every one booed because they were expecting a Stand up streetfight, they were new to the sport, just like the people that boo at events now.

There will always be people booing, and to blame it on wwe fans, is laughable.

You know its really annoying when so called '10 yr fans' call it 'our sport' ....... The virus has exploded..... MMA is now mainstream. It isnt your sport anymore.

Archived