Are the Gracie's watering down BJJ?

Soulglow

Saw an Ad in a magazine, two from the Gracie family, offering their video instructions for Gracie JJ, not only will you learn JJ from Videos, but you can then receive your belts via mail as well when you complete each training video. Seems very watered down to be able to get Belts via mail after watching some videos. I understand the need for bringing in money, but man, kinda seems like something like this waters down the Gracie name.

agree? disagree?

Saw an Ad in a magazine' date=' two from the Gracie family, offering their video instructions for Gracie JJ, not only will you learn JJ from Videos, but you can then receive your belts via mail as well when you complete each training video. Seems very watered down to be able to get Belts via mail after watching some videos. I understand the need for bringing in money, but man, kinda seems like something like this waters down the Gracie name.

agree? disagree?[/quote']

I would like to see a grappling match between a Gracie video black belt vs a "Kwon's MMA" black belt (formerly a TKD gym, switched to MMA last year) located next door to the dollar tree.

Saw an Ad in a magazine' date=' two from the Gracie family, offering their video instructions for Gracie JJ, not only will you learn JJ from Videos, but you can then receive your belts via mail as well when you complete each training video. Seems very watered down to be able to get Belts via mail after watching some videos. I understand the need for bringing in money, but man, kinda seems like something like this waters down the Gracie name.

I agree. But in some towns that are remote it is the only way to get belts.

I agree thats really lame... belts via mail? lol you need hands on training and several other students to grapple with to help you improve. It's also a bit ridiculous considering it takes most people twice as long to get a blue belt under a Gracie as opposed to someone else. I got one in a little over 2 years but I wasn't training with Caesar Gracie or anything. Nate Diaz triangled 2 blackbelts back to back in robinson and pelligrino and he's still a brown belt and those wins were a couple years ago. I think he was still a purple with the win over alvin robinson getting him his brown.

Belt via the mail is like some people who have a masters in something but didn't take one single class to obtain it. Handing out belts after you learn things from a video is ridiculous. Frank Mir had to break Tim Sylvias arm to earn his blackbelt.

This is great next thing you know we got countless purple, brown and blackbelts that would probably have their hands full with a white belt that has 6 months to a year training and get destroyed by a legit blue belt.

I hate to take anything away from the Gracies but i attended there G.R.A.P.L.E. course or whatever it was when i was in the Marine corps and get e-mails all the time about participating in this video stuff from them and in there news letters. Sounds pretty lame to me. Also i now take BJJ at Jorge Gurgels academy in West Chester Ohio and have had to unlearn more than a few bad habbits i had picked up previously. Maybe having Jorge and Dustin Hazelett overseeing your classes just takes it to a different level idk.

after you watch the video you have to send in a video o you doing all the techniques from the video, you have to roll around for 5 mins trying to do as many of the techniques as you can flawlessly and you have to do the fight simulation drills. so its not as easy as you think. you dont just get it from watching a vid. you get it the same way everyone else does, you just have to learn from a video instead of a real instructor .

Honestly as someone who trains in martial arts for 12 plus years, not BJJ in particular, I find it laughable that getting belts via mail is even an option. It's kind of disrespectful too if you really think about it. It's like spitting on years of tradition...the philosophy behind BJJ can't be learned from any video. It's something that you must embrace mentally and surround yourself with physically. Martial arts is not about the movements, anyone can see the and try to replicate the motions but until you're in the gym rolling with guys better than you'll be in years...you're doing nothing but wasting money. I can see a video being a good way to introduce the art to people who don't know of its existence... but to actually progress and get better from it, is absolutely ridiculous.

Honestly as someone who trains in martial arts for 12 plus years' date=' not BJJ in particular, I find it laughable that getting belts via mail is even an option. It's kind of disrespectful too if you really think about it. It's like spitting on years of tradition...the philosophy behind BJJ can't be learned from any video. It's something that you must embrace mentally and surround yourself with physically. Martial arts is not about the movements, anyone can see the and try to replicate the motions but until you're in the gym rolling with guys better than you'll be in years...you're doing nothing but wasting money. I can see a video being a good way to introduce the art to people who don't know of its existence... but to actually progress and get better from it, is absolutely ridiculous.[/quote']

From what I understand it is the Gracie Combatives program that does the belts via email. Yes it is 100% laughable.

after you watch the video you have to send in a video o you doing all the techniques from the video' date=' you have to roll around for 5 mins trying to do as many of the techniques as you can flawlessly and you have to do the fight simulation drills. so its not as easy as you think. you dont just get it from watching a vid. you get it the same way everyone else does, you just have to learn from a video instead of a real instructor .[/quote']

Still, I think it really cheapens the Gracie name. I think its fine to release training DVD's and what not to try to teach and demonstrate useable technique. But it should take months and years to get through various belts. Offering a teaching program via mail is a joke to me, and something the Gracie name shouldn't be associated with. I respect what they have done to getting JJ worldwide recognition, but man just a little bit of a shame to have to steep to learn and graduate via mail. That belt is not legit.

Saw an Ad in a magazine' date=' two from the Gracie family, offering their video instructions for Gracie JJ, not only will you learn JJ from Videos, but you can then [b']receive your belts via mail [/b]as well when you complete each training video. Seems very watered down to be able to get Belts via mail after watching some videos. I understand the need for bringing in money, but man, kinda seems like something like this waters down the Gracie name.

agree? disagree?

That's where Nate Marquardt got his black belt.

Archived