Silva v. Maia

steviez

ok let me get this straight... Nate Marquardt was the number one contender. He already lost once to A. Silva. D Maia just got KFO by Marquardt. Marquard gets schooled by C Sonnen. and so now Maia get a shot at the title? Why? There is no arguing his BJJ skills, but he is obviously not prepared for a good striker as evidenced by his KO by Marquard. A. Silva is the best striker in his division and maybe in all the UFC pound for pound so why would they give him this shot? Were gonna see another Thales Leites debacle.

Ughh. How many times does this have to be said...

1. Anderson Silva (Can't fight yourself)

2. Belfort (Shoulder Injury)

3. Sonnen (Wasn't cleared to fight because of the cut)

4. Marquardt (Just lost to Sonnen. You don't come off a loss and get a title shot.)

5. Demien Maia (Hmm only loss was to Marquardt which was a really quick lucky punch... just came off a win... number 5 in the rankings.... why not?)

Who else is there, really?

And the UFC doesn't want to wait because Silva hasn't defended his belt since UFC 97 I think it was?

4. Marquardt (Just lost to Sonnen. You don't come off a loss and get a title shot.)

5. Demien Maia (Hmm only loss was to Marquardt which was a really quick lucky punch... just came off a win... number 5 in the rankings.... why not?)

Who else is there' date=' really?

And the UFC doesn't want to wait because Silva hasn't defended his belt since UFC 97 I think it was?[/quote']

well done

Who else is there' date=' really?

And the UFC doesn't want to wait because Silva hasn't defended his belt since UFC 97 I think it was?[/quote']

wandi

ok let me get this straight... Nate Marquardt was the number one contender. He already lost once to A. Silva. D Maia just got KFO by Marquardt. Marquard gets schooled by C Sonnen. and so now Maia get a shot at the title? Why? There is no arguing his BJJ skills' date=' but he is obviously not prepared for a good striker as evidenced by his KO by Marquard. A. Silva is the best striker in his division and maybe in all the UFC pound for pound so why would they give him this shot? Were gonna see another Thales Leites debacle.[/quote']

because Maia was the only one who was able to step in. marquardt and sonnen were both too hurt after their fight to be able to step back in in just three months. obviously belfort is unable to. so Maia, being the #5 MW was the only choice. it was either cut Anderson Silva fighting in all, or throw in Maia. yea Maia might not have a chance, but at least we get to see Silva fight again.

*see InvisibleControl's comment*

basically what im saying too.

You're right.. They're risking another Leites debacle, and they're pretty much begging for it. I mean jeez.. Ok the guy's been crowned jiu jitsu world champ.. so what. So was Leites.. They have an amazing marketting tool : Silva. I mean the guy puts on some GREAT stand up performances he's just deadly and so impressive when he puts himself into it.. Even if we forget the fact that damian maia just isnt ready for this and just isnt close to be deserving this fight.. I mean... Talking strictly business.. why would they do that???? That,s just stupid. What if by some dumb magic flying heel hook the guy wins? They just screwed one of their most precious mainstream asset. If he wins? Well they risk that itll be a stupid boring fight. They could've had him fight someone worthy at 205. I mean he's ranked 2nd or 3rd (since shogun..) at 205. He could've fought someone in the LHV top 5 and that would have been a freagin awesome fight. People would have bought that PPV for sure. Now everyone is already saying that it'll be another Leites fail and many say they wont buy it. For what? because someone up there was too damn stupid to realise that there was no good reason to have him fight at 185 if it wasnt Belfort while there are tons of reasons for him to fight at 205 or even at heavyweight. The man's walking around at 225. dammit.

Thanks for the break down. Anyway... I want to see A. Silva fight too, but I want it to be a good match. Obviously there is no one for A. Silva to fight at 185. Why not send him to 205 again. He destroyed Forrest, what would he do with Rashad, Rampage, Shogun, or Ryan Bader? I agree Machida would be best but . . . yeah never gonna happen.

Thanks for the break down. Anyway... I want to see A. Silva fight too' date=' but I want it to be a good match. Obviously there is no one for A. Silva to fight at 185. Why not send him to 205 again. He destroyed Forrest, what would he do with Rashad, Rampage, Shogun, or Ryan Bader? I agree Machida would be best but . . . yeah never gonna happen.[/quote']

Rampage vs; A.Silva would be awesome but Rampage will win UD. Why? SLAMS.

A.Sliva's problem is wrestling he may have defeated Hendo but it showed that he problems with wrestlers. Been a MMA fan since UFC 101 so please understand my lack of knowledge in MMA.

really?? he has only had 1 fight at 185 which he beat Bisping by decision that doesn't earn you a shot at the greatest mw of all time he needs to pay his dues which he has not

what you need to realise is that its not about that, wandy will fight akiyama next, if he wins that guarenteed you will see wandy v anderson

+1 for wandy. It would be a way better fight than maia. Wandy will stand up and bang with silva and he has the hands and strength to knock him the f-out. So does belfort unfortunately he's injured. Plus wandy and a.silva have a history training together in pride and now they dislike each other. It would make for a good fight and I could actually give wandy a fighters chance unlike maia. Either that or Silva shoulda moved up to 205 again and fought another fight there until belfort or sonnen were healthy.

Archived