Why do champions fight only a few times per year?

tapout_69

Sorry if this subject has been talked about before...

Its something ive thought about before, most champions fights 3-4 times year if that. It would be nice to change it so they defend it every 2 months or so.

Anyone have a clue why this is? :confused: One reason could be is finding the number 2 or 3 contender and waiting on them fighting.

1 - Lack of true #1 contenders

2- Injuries

3 - there are 60 day medical suspensions in NA (north america)

4 - 3-4 times a year is plenty for a champion that means every 3-4 months. every 2 months is VERY unrealistic.

2- Injuries

4 - 3-4 times a year is plenty for a champion that means every 3-4 months. every 2 months is VERY unrealistic.

I understand there are rules in all, but why a 60 day medical suspension? Safety of the fighter I guess.

3-4 times on a good year, some only 2 and 3 if things went smooth.. 2 months was just an idea, its not that unrealistic for non champs. Some guys are willing fight every month just to move up the ladder. lol

Thanks for the reply :)

I understand there are rules in all' date=' but why a 60 day medical suspension? Safety of the fighter I guess.

3-4 times on a good year, some only 2 and 3 if things went smooth.. 2 months was just an idea, its not that unrealistic for non champs. Some guys are willing fight every month just to move up the ladder. lol

Thanks for the reply :)[/quote']

The medical suspension is to make sure there aren't lingering injuries etc, mostly fighter safety yes.

2-3 depends on the # of contenders in the division and if injuries play a part.

Fighters will say they'd fight every month because it means more $$$ win or lose it's still a guaranteed paycheck.

One of the only fighters I know who said they'd fight every month was Josh Koscheck.

The medical suspension is to make sure there aren't lingering injuries etc' date=' mostly fighter safety yes.

2-3 depends on the # of contenders in the division and if injuries play a part.

Fighters will say they'd fight every month because it means more $$$ win or lose it's still a guaranteed paycheck.

Oneo f the only fighters I know woh said they'd fight every month was Josh Koscheck.[/quote']

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. Maybe I just want to see the champs fight more lol

2- Injuries

it should be noted that: medical suspensions don't always mean

that there is something medically wrong with the fighter, or that

he is hurt. it might just means "no contact" for a period of time.

*kinda like starting-pitchers in baseball. they don't pitch

every day, they're on a rotation (for their own safety)*

i would be happy if champs fought 3 - 4 times a year!!!!!

the past year or 2 brocks fought once or twice gsp has fought once or twice anderson silva is fighting after nearly 8 month lay off bj is a little more active but machida fought shogun in october an now in may thats 8 months aswell.

our champions could fight more i think injuries play a big part i know but if a champ knockes someone out in the 1st round without hardly getting hit he should be ready to fight a month or two later i think.

I mean if u think about it, it's not just champions that only fight 2-4 times a year. Pretty much every fighter in the UFC fights at an average of about 3 fights a year if even that. So it's not just the champions, it's everyone. Unfortunatly. If I were in the UFC I would love to fight as much as I could so I could get more bread, lol. But the UFC is crowded with so many fighters with so much talent and...they all need to get paid. So they kinda need to even it out so everyone gets a chance to fight and make some money.

Its something ive thought about before' date=' most champions fights 3-4 times year if that. It would be nice to change it so they defend it every 2 months or so.

Anyone have a clue why this is? :confused: One reason could be is finding the number 2 or 3 contender and waiting on them fighting.[/quote']

2 months!!!! Most fighters training camps are that long, not to mention you need to factor in R and R and lke its already been stated on this post, time is needed for true number one contenders to emerge.

I think 2-3 times a year is fair. Of course everyone would love to see them fight every other event but thats just not realistic.

Bj is very active.

I have grown to have a lot more respect for BJ because he is the guy that is putting on his belt and daring someone to take it. The Soars champs, Machida and Silva, get babied too much, Lesnar needed to come up with something he is used to in WWE called "Leave for a while til people start wanting you back, then come back miraculosly (I failed english) to be triumphant. GSP has been hurt and couldnt do it.

GO BJ! Youre the champ I can respect more than the others... For now.

I have grown to have a lot more respect for BJ because he is the guy that is putting on his belt and daring someone to take it. The Soars champs' date=' Machida and Silva, get babied too much, Lesnar needed to come up with something he is used to in WWE called "Leave for a while til people start wanting you back, then come back miraculosly (I failed english) to be triumphant. GSP has been hurt and couldnt do it.

GO BJ! Youre the champ I can respect more than the others... For now.[/quote']

ive never liked bj penn personally. but after the last 2 fights florian and sanchez i am a fan his ability and conditioning blew me away i couldnt believe how much he had improved i think he will destroy edgar. its good to see him defending the belt tho quite often unlike the soares champs which is a shame as there my 2 fav fighters

Its something ive thought about before' date=' most champions fights 3-4 times year if that. It would be nice to change it so they defend it every 2 months or so.

Anyone have a clue why this is? :confused: One reason could be is finding the number 2 or 3 contender and waiting on them fighting.[/quote']

3 or 4?more like 1 or 2 these days....3 or 4 would be plenty....the max a champ could fight would be like four in a year.you need a minium of six weeks,and most fighters prefer eight weeks of training before a fight.assuming he doesnt get a medical suspension or any injury,he would need two months bare minimum and thats not even time to take a DUMP.but atleast 3 defenses a year should be expected.

How bout this rotation...

Jan: Heavyweight Champ

Feb: Light Heavyweight Champ

Mar: Middleweight Champ

Apr: Welterweight Champ

May: Lightweight Champ

Jun: HW

Jul: LHW

Aug: MW

Sep: WW

Oct: LW

Nov: HW

Dec: LHW

and so on. Lesnar is definately the biggest draw the UFC has right now. Probably wouldnt work because injuries happen. Definately enough time to recover and find a suitable challenger.

that would be great.. Like stated they should take into consideration what happens such as if the champ wins and recieves little to no damage. And Kos is a beast hes ready to fight whenever. He figures he stays in shape knows his wreslting and can hold his hands pretty good. To me it seems he feels he dont need to change training i feel he has all the tools just has to come up with gameplan. Which i honestly think is the best thing possible..

I have grown to have a lot more respect for BJ because he is the guy that is putting on his belt and daring someone to take it. The Soars champs' date=' Machida and Silva, get babied too much, Lesnar needed to come up with something he is used to in WWE called "Leave for a while til people start wanting you back, then come back miraculosly (I failed english) to be triumphant. GSP has been hurt and couldnt do it.

GO BJ! Youre the champ I can respect more than the others... For now.[/quote']

Haha..this.

Short answer: because there has to be X number of non title fights to fill the cards they want to make.

You are dreaming if you think champions are fighting 3-4 times a year.

2-3 is more like it.

the only champs i know that arnt defending regularly are GSP and Lesnar and Silva

GSP hasnt had a fight in 10 events, since July of 2009, come on Georges, fight someone

and Lesnars been busy fakin sick

Silva is movin up a weight class eventually so hes fightin there too, its not that hes not fighting, its hes not fighting to defend his belt

there ya go

I understand there are rules in all' date=' but why a 60 day medical suspension? Safety of the fighter I guess.

Thanks for the reply :)[/quote']

When you fight at the top of the heap you have to deal with preparation time as well. Most these guys train for a particular for for 12-16 weeks. That right there with now breaks means 3-4 fights a year. Thrown in a break which these guys need from time to time to heal up and rejuvenate for future fights and your down to 2-3 fights a year. Then add an injury once in a while and now you could be 1-2 fights. They also do a lot of PR for the promotion they fight for too which they need time off of training for.

How bout this rotation...

Jan: Heavyweight Champ

Feb: Light Heavyweight Champ

Mar: Middleweight Champ

Apr: Welterweight Champ

May: Lightweight Champ

Jun: HW

Jul: LHW

Aug: MW

Sep: WW

Oct: LW

Nov: HW

Dec: LHW

and so on. Lesnar is definately the biggest draw the UFC has right now. Probably wouldnt work because injuries happen. Definately enough time to recover and find a suitable challenger.

That would be awesome. The problem is even with out injuries, or in Brock's case an alien in his belly, finding title challengers for the dominant champs that people won't write off as cans or long shots.

Even right now the 3 titles on the line in the next few weeks, all the challengers are VERY big long shots. Pretty soon you replace "these guys don't fight enough" with "these guys only fight cans and are padding their records".

i would be happy if champs fought 3 - 4 times a year!!!!!

the past year or 2 brocks fought once or twice gsp has fought once or twice anderson silva is fighting after nearly 8 month lay off bj is a little more active but machida fought shogun in october an now in may thats 8 months aswell.

our champions could fight more i think injuries play a big part i know but if a champ knockes someone out in the 1st round without hardly getting hit he should be ready to fight a month or two later i think.

Three fights a year is average, but also assumes no other problems arise. For example, Lesnar won the belt in Nov 2008, then had to wait for Mir/Nogueira winner to emerge. Once that was set they scheduled Mir/Lesnar for UFC 98 in May, but then Mir hurt his knee so they pushed the fight back to July. Then they set up Lesnar/Carwin for Nov 2009 but Lesnar fell ill.

You can see the same with the other champs as well. Given the circumstances that have arisen, I think the champs are all fighting as often as possible, with the possible exception of Silva. I don't like it when champs waste fights in other divisions. If Silva wants to fight at 205, move up and surrender the 185 belt. Don't keep the whole division hostage because you don't feel the promotion has any worthy contenders for you.

Archived