Jon Fitch: "Promoters are dumbing down MMA"

MusicIzMySavior

133032334.jpg

"I view them as fair-weather fans. They aren't mixed martial arts fans. They want to see K-1 kickboxing with small gloves and not MMA. I'm always working to finish fights. There are two guys in the fight, and if the other guy is looking to just survive, it's hard to finish. Promoters and fighters are dumbing down the sport to appease those fans. Those fans won't be there for the long haul and will turn their back on the sport as soon as they find the next big thing. I think referees standing fighters up too soon is one of the dumbest things that has been done recently. They need to let the fighters work on the ground, and not be so quick to bring the fighters back to their feet."

too bad he hasn't finished a fight in like forever.. im against what he is saying this is mixed martial arts not wrestling or bjj.. if they are not active on the ground stand em up and let them start over.. i love how pride referees shouted action and if you were stalling they would cut your pay.. jon fitch is saying all this because he cannot finish a fight on his feet..when he was faced with another good wrestler like mike pierce..he was in trouble as well..

If they gave Fitch any more time on the ground he may just get a submission - because his opponent may literally just fall asleep.

In a way it is unfair - and to claim "This is mma not grappling" can be used both ways -- how come when 2 fighters dont engage in stand up they arn't reset and put on the ground? That would make an amazing technical striker like Machida feel the frustration a great ground guy like Fitch would feel when he gets stood up.

In all seriousness, who is he one to talk. In his last fight he should of been stood up by the referee on multiple occasions. He was stalling on the ground regularly. This isn't an Abu Dhabi tournament. They have 15 minutes, and that isn't alot for a full on ground war. Oh, and while UFC is MMA, it is not wrestling. That lay and pray crap gets really old with the fans, as it's just an easy way to pick up points.

Fitch primarily wins because of his size. He's a rather large WW. He outweighed Sanchez by over 15lbs. in their encounter. He just is large, and really knows how to cut weight. A ground war suits him, and he enjoys his advantage. That said, this dude is boring, and couldn't sell any tickets at the box office. He's got no finishing skills, no standup, and is more or less carbon copy of Jake Shields. Both lack any formal style of standup. I mean Pierce almost KO'ed him. When he sets foot against the improved Alves, it will be another knee to the face, and a KO.

I honestly don't like seeing him fight, and bought into the hype. I almost fell asleep in his fight against Pierce. It was sooooo bad. Almost everyone at the sports bar fell asleep.

If they gave Fitch any more time on the ground he may just get a submission - because his opponent may literally just fall asleep.

In a way it is unfair - and to claim "This is mma not grappling" can be used both ways -- how come when 2 fighters dont engage in stand up they arn't reset and put on the ground? That would make an amazing technical striker like Machida feel the frustration a great ground guy like Fitch would feel when he gets stood up.

right on man!

I do agree with everything Fitch said. i actually just started a new thread about the new wave of fans wanting the refs to stand the ground game up to quickly to please them yesterday.

if they gave fitch any more time on the ground he may just get a submission - because his opponent may literally just fall asleep.

In a way it is unfair - and to claim "this is mma not grappling" can be used both ways -- how come when 2 fighters dont engage in stand up they arn't reset and put on the ground? That would make an amazing technical striker like machida feel the frustration a great ground guy like fitch would feel when he gets stood up.

+1000000

here are my views on the fights on sat.

People are overlooking hardy. GSP is a great wrestler i know that, but he cant keep lucking up in the striking. he scared of getting knocked out again so he's been hurrying to get the fight to the ground. Dan hardy has a killer instinct when he fights, so i think he's going to be able to stop enough of GSP's ground game to get a knock out punch in on GSP's weak chin.

Now everyones downing Mir on his latest actions(including me) but the man did finish Chiek Kondo in 72 seconds. and if anyone thinks Kongo is a scub fighter, then they dont know MMA. I still think he's not taking this fight seriously and is too worried about his next fight against Lesner. Carwin hates trash talkers so he's going to just want to shut Mir's mouth so he can shut Lesner's up, and he will do both of those.

I like Jon Fitch, he dominated two years ago that noone seems to want to talk about anymore. Every professional athlete in any sport goes through droughts. But the promblem is i like Alves more, im still shocked that he got dominated so bad against GSP and i've been waiting to see him again. He's an outstanding striking and entertaining fighter, and i think in the future he's going to give the weak middleweight division a shake up. He's going to stop Fitch this time. Im sure tons of people going to think im crazy, but i guess on Sunday we going to see whose right. Look foward to talking to my haters after the fights.

here are my views on the fights on sat.

People are overlooking hardy. GSP is a great wrestler i know that' date=' but he cant keep lucking up in the striking. he scared of getting knocked out again so he's been hurrying to get the fight to the ground. Dan hardy has a killer instinct when he fights, so i think he's going to be able to stop enough of GSP's ground game to get a knock out punch in on GSP's weak chin.

[/quote']

you say Hardy's got killer instinct huh?. that's why he totally finished Swick when he had him rocked more than once huh?. and you say he's afraid to strike. the only fights he really relied on the TD was against BJ (the best boxer in MMA) and Alves (best Thai fighter in the WW division), i call that a smart gameplan. and GSP has a weak chin huh?. When did GSP get KO'd when hit clean on the chin?. and don't dare say Serra!. he was hit on the temple and yes there's a big difference. and Serra didn't even KO him it was TKO, GSP was not out cold, he was still awake and functional. and Serra has very heavy hands and he hit GSP many times on the chin when it went to the mat. but it started with a hit on the temple. stop trolling, know what your talking about, and stay on topic. don't ever post garbage like this again. oh yeah and welcome to the forum. you just got pwned. ")

you say hardy's got killer instinct huh?. That's why he totally finished swick when he had him rocked more than once huh?. And you say he's afraid to strike. The only fights he really relied on the td was against bj (the best boxer in mma) and alves (best thai fighter in the ww division)' date=' i call that a smart gameplan. And gsp has a weak chin huh?. When did gsp get ko'd when hit clean on the chin?. And don't dare say serra!. He was hit on the temple and yes there's a big difference. And serra didn't even ko him it was tko, gsp was not out cold, he was still awake and functional. And serra has very heavy hands and he hit gsp many times on the chin when it went to the mat. But it started with a hit on the temple. Stop trolling, know what your talking about, and stay on topic. Don't ever post garbage like this again. Oh yeah and welcome to the forum. You just got pwned. ")[/quote']

+1,000,000

Archived