1 problem with jon jones

MuayThaiClinch

i was really impressed by how jones took out vera with basically no damage taken at all... BUT, all i want to mention and was wondering if anyone else noticed, because i havent seen anyone mention this... Jones is not too educated in the guard, he would extend his arms across veras chest relentlessly and vera would grab hold of them multiple times... i dont know why vera didnt even attempt an armbar or something.. i see jones getting submitted for his first loss ( real loss ) if/when it does come

i was really impressed by how jones took out vera with basically no damage taken at all... BUT' date=' all i want to mention and was wondering if anyone else noticed, because i havent seen anyone mention this... Jones is not too educated in the guard, he would extend his arms across veras chest relentlessly and vera would grab hold of them multiple times... i dont know why vera didnt even attempt an armbar or something.. i see jones getting submitted for his first loss ( real loss ) if/when it does come[/quote']

I'm not a JJ savant, but I had the sense he was baiting Vera into focusing on his arms so his upper body was free to posture. Giving control of your forearm isn't a very big deal unless your opponent can get a leg up near your head. It's hard to say, Maybe you're right though.

Perscriptively it might seem like it's always a bad idea to give up your arm in JJ... but who knows, when you can hit someone in the head having them commit 2 arms to your 1 opens up alot of different things for your upper body that you would not have if they were controlling your posture.

Say what you will. Jones knocked out vera in the guard.

I'm not a JJ savant' date=' but I had the sense he was baiting Vera into focusing on his arms so his upper body was free to posture. Giving control of your forearm isn't a very big deal unless your opponent can get a leg up near your head. It's hard to say, Maybe you're right though.

Perscriptively it might seem like it's always a bad idea to give up your arm in JJ... but who knows, when you can hit someone in the head having them commit 2 arms to your 1 opens up alot of different things for your upper body that you would not have if they were controlling your posture.

Say what you will. Jones knocked out vera in the guard.[/quote']

if he was really baiting him then nice, im not saying he didnt do anything wrong cuz like you said he knocked him out in the guard, but i feel like a more experienced jj fighter wouldve taken advantage of that... just my opinion tho

if he was really baiting him then nice' date=' im not saying he didnt do anything wrong cuz like you said he knocked him out in the guard, but i feel like a more experienced jj fighter wouldve taken advantage of that... just my opinion tho[/quote']

but with a great coach like Jackson i think Bones wouldn't make such a mistake against a really good JJ guy, not bashing on Vera though. im pretty sure Jones was baiting Vera.

Jones may train in a good camp with experienced fighters and he may have won the fight in dominant fashion, but I agree that it wasn't very intelligent leaving his arms exposed like that. A triangle and armbar were possibilities, but then again you have to think Vera would have capitalized because he is a brown belt and possesses a very underrated ground and guard game. He looked slugish and relatively inactive off of his back though which lead Jones to more striking opportunites, opening him up for the fight-ending elbow. It may be a little off topic, but more than anything I was dissappointed in the fact that Jones said "If Vera wants a stand-up war, then that's what I'm going to give him" (or something along those lines) and every time the opportunity presented itself, he just rushed in and clinched Vera up so he could try to get him to the ground. Not hating on Jones though. He did what he had to. I really want to see someone test HIS guard personally. We'll see. He's not going anywhere for awhile, haha.

Jones may train in a good camp with experienced fighters and he may have won the fight in dominant fashion' date=' but I agree that it wasn't very intelligent leaving his arms exposed like that. A triangle and armbar were possibilities, but then again you have to think Vera would have capitalized because he is a brown belt and possesses a very underrated ground and guard game. He looked slugish and relatively inactive off of his back though which lead Jones to more striking opportunites, opening him up for the fight-ending elbow. It may be a little off topic, but more than anything I was dissappointed in the fact that Jones said "If Vera wants a stand-up war, then that's what I'm going to give him" (or something along those lines) and every time the opportunity presented itself, he just rushed in and clinched Vera up so he could try to get him to the ground. Not hating on Jones though. He did what he had to. I really want to see someone test HIS guard personally. We'll see. He's not going anywhere for awhile, haha.[/quote']

Well, i still think that Vera is too fast for Jones. Thats why Jones always opted for the takedown. Vera to me was looking for an armbar but he waited to long for it causing him the brutal elbow and Jones was too tall for him which Vera found difficult for him to raise those legs of his. I watched the fight three times and yes, there were opportunities of a submission. Yes, i do think that Vera was being sluggish. And like you i was disappointed for i was hoping to see a striking match between the two. Im still wondering right now who would have won if it did went that way.

Archived