Why all the hate for Roy?

Fast

I agree that Roy has a big belly and he has an odd personality to boot, but anyone with eyes should be able to see that he has a good stand-up and a good ground game. It looks as though he would tire out easy, but as we have seen he has good cardio and endurance. Some do not like him and I am aware that Dana does not like him and made that clear on national TV, which by the way was not right on his part.Seems like Dana is holding him back and I think he can compete in the heavy weight division, I would like to see him face MIR right after Carwin ko's him.

Roy should be treated with more respect ' date=' hes a good fighter[/quote']

I have stated this from the beginning. Dana has issues with him and he made that known, so Roy is put on the back burner. Roy should be fighting people like Mir because I know he can compete with Mir and my bet is he can beat Mir. Dana needs to put the personal issues aside and stop blocking Roy.

He rubs people the wrong way including me & he might do himself a favour by shutting his mouth a bit & stop acting like he is god's gift to mma coz he isn't! he's average AT BEST. He rates himself 1000x higher than his actual ability & then there's his belly... he is proud of it, the guy is actually happy with his "physical condition"

He rubs people the wrong way including me & he might do himself a favour by shutting his mouth a bit & stop acting like he is god's gift to mma coz he isn't! he's average AT BEST. He rates himself 1000x higher than his actual ability & then there's his belly... he is proud of it' date=' the guy is actually happy with his "physical condition"[/quote']

roy nelson = frank mir minus the bely

He rubs people the wrong way including me & he might do himself a favour by shutting his mouth a bit & stop acting like he is god's gift to mma coz he isn't! he's average AT BEST. He rates himself 1000x higher than his actual ability & then there's his belly... he is proud of it' date=' the guy is actually happy with his "physical condition"[/quote']

Brock does the same thing and Dana is glued to his hip, so if we were judging fighters on their personalities there would be more than him being held back. Nothing wrong with having confidence, heck Mir is the number 1 guy who thinks he is the best in the world and he is not shy at voicing it.

Like I said his belly is big, but so his his punching power and as we have seen the belly does not hinder him from performing. I would say he is better than average as well. Do I think he could be Lesnar or Cain? Probably not, but he can compete.Sounds like you and Dana have the same issues, you all are stuck on his phsical appearance and his personality instead of his skills.

Reminder: THis is not a personality contest, but fighting in a cage.

Brock does the same thing and Dana is glued to his hip' date=' so if we were judging fighters on their personalities there would be more than him being held back. Nothing wrong with having confidence, heck Mir is the number 1 guy who thinks he is the best in the world and he is not shy at voicing it.

Like I said his belly is big, but so his his punching power and as we have seen the belly does not hinder him from performing. I would say he is better than average as well. Do I think he could be Lesnar or Cain? Probably not, but he can compete.Sounds like you and Dana have the same issues, you all are stuck on his phsical appearance and his personality instead of his skills.

Reminder: THis is not a personality contest, but fighting in a cage.[/quote']

Show me where i wrote anything about his personality? i could care less about his personality it's his assessment of his ability!

Show me what he's done that's impressive...

I like Nelson stand-up game, I wish one day he & JDS would met. It would be an interesting match-up coz their striking is somewhat different from each other. JDS likes to throw those short & stiff hooks and making him much nearer to his opponent, while Neslon likes to go for the long straight jab and distant himself from his opponent.

Btw, why should Nelson reduce or remove some of his belly? I think that's why his punch is somewhat powerful is due to that additional weight concentrated on his hips.

Look at those guys in baseball who are heavy hitters, did they have small belly, of course not.

Show me where i wrote anything about his personality? i could care less about his personality it's his assessment of his ability!

Show me what he's done that's impressive...

Okay, no problem. You said the following

"He rubs people the wrong way including me & he might do himself a favour by shutting his mouth a bit & stop acting like he is god's gift to mma coz he isn't! he's average AT BEST"

Rubbing people the wrong way and shutting his mouth is to say that you do not like the way he presents himself and the things he says. This is his personality. Brock has a personality and Mir has one, see their personality shines through in their actions and the words they speak. Get it now?

Was the IFL champion for a long time

Won the TUF house competition

Beat Frank Mir in a Grappling match

Okay' date=' no problem. You said the following

"He rubs people the wrong way including me & he might do himself a favour by shutting his mouth a bit & stop acting like he is god's gift to mma coz he isn't! he's average AT BEST"

Rubbing people the wrong way and shutting his mouth is to say that you do not like the way he presents himself and the things he says. This is his personality. Brock has a personality and Mir has one, see their personality shines through in their actions and the words they speak. Get it now?

Was the IFL champion for a long time

Beat Frank Mir in a Grappling match[/quote']

No like i said it's not his personality it's about his assessment of his ability... he acts & talks like he is the best P4P fighter in the world. Those achievements aren't impressive enough to act like he does.

Winnning TUF 10: I mean c'mon lets be real here the ability of the TUF contestants these days are pretty average compared to the early days of TUF when we actually had mma fighters not ex NFL stars or wanna be reality stars looking for fame that can throw a punch or two.

You asked the question "why all the hate for roy" i told u why.

Okay' date=' no problem. You said the following

[b']Was the IFL champion for a long time[/b]

Beat Frank Mir in a Grappling match

The best I can tell he was the champ for 6 months, although he never lost the belt the org folded. He did defend the belt twice, against Scherner (a stellar 7-7-2) and against Brad "I can barely walk anymore" Imes who BTW was put into retirement by a guy named Queen a year later. I have watched every Roy Nelson fight that I can find and I am just not that impressed with his standup. He likes to start quick and he has decent movement for a round or so, but starts to drop his hands by the second. His striking seems a bit predictable also. I believe that Struve will be a tough matchup for Roy, can't wait for the fight.

Ill give the fat man some credit' date=' he won theTUF but.... idk..... something about his fight with Kimbo really pissed me off. Maybe the fact that his Ginourmos belly was holding his opponent down! and its not to hate on the guy but i find his fights boring...[/quote']

Ohh yeah how could i forget that, his fights are boring :D

No like i said it's not his personality it's about his assessment of his ability... he acts & talks like he is the best P4P fighter in the world. Those achievements aren't impressive enough to act like he does.

Winnning TUF 10: I mean c'mon lets be real here the ability of the TUF contestants these days are pretty average compared to the early days of TUF when we actually had mma fighters not ex NFL stars or wanna be reality stars looking for fame that can throw a punch or two.

You asked the question "why all the hate for roy" i told u why.

That's his personality you dolt.

Ill give the fat man some credit' date=' he won theTUF but.... idk..... something about his fight with Kimbo really pissed me off. Maybe the fact that his Ginourmos belly was holding his opponent down! and its not to hate on the guy but i find his fights boring...[/quote']

Wow, i can't see how you say his fights are boring. Not the best i've ever seen but to see him gain dominant position over many different people is quite impressive imo. Also, what about when he fought Schaub. Nobody saw that coming and even before that it was an entertaining fight.

Until I read this thread, I wasn't aware that anyone had an issue with Nelson, cos I've only heard positive comments.

I personally think Nelson is a good bloke. He's an average joe who can fight. Nelson just goes to show what a lot of martial artists (myself included) believe: that being a good fighter isn't about having a six pack and 20 inch pythons, it's about good conditioning and technique.

in terms of his ****iness, I think that he is being a little bit tongue in cheek and I think he is a funny as hell.

I do however agree that he does now need to start proving himself against established fighters.

Stop hating on Nelson.

I like Nelson and I dont think he is ****y and disrespectfull at all. He just got that kind of sense of humor. Just beacuse Dana hates him beacuse he put away Kimbo doesnt mean we shouldnt like him too.

And I bealive he is one of the most skillfull guys to come from TUFs. He is very underrated IMO.

Nelson is obviously too good for the \Kimbos and Shaubs.He should be put in with the BUentellos and Kongos and Yvels to sharpen his game up.

Nelson biggest problem is that he hasn't fought anybody good for quite awhile, but natural talent wise he is a better puncher than Mir and has a better chin. He's nly beee TKOed once I think. Mits been TKOed 4 times.

roy nelson = frank mir minus the bely

Nah, I think Roy Nelson would equal Florian with out that gut. The dude has some skills but, the guys he was fighting on TUF weren't really all that good and his fights aren't all that exciting, other than the Schaub fight, which was ok. To say that its not fair for Dana to hold him back is dumb. He is is boss! If you work at Wendy's on the frier and you constantly make dumb **** comments to your boss, you aren't ever going to make it to the grill.

It's Roy's own fault that he's underestimated and disliked. I agree with Fast's assessment of his skills, but his belly and ****iness work against him. He needs to continue to crush whoever they put in front of him in order to get over his negative rep. I don't feel sorry for him.

Nah' date=' I think Roy Nelson would equal Florian with out that gut. The dude has some skills but, the guys he was fighting on TUF weren't really all that good and his fights aren't all that exciting, other than the Schaub fight, which was ok. To say that its not fair for Dana to hold him back is dumb. He is is boss! If you work at Wendy's on the frier and you constantly make dumb **** comments to your boss, you aren't ever going to make it to the grill.[/quote']

How long have you worked at Wendy's? :P

For me, the reasons most people hate him are the reasons I think he will do fairly if not very well in the cage.

1. He's "fat." The only reason fat is in quotation marks is because it's perception. Yes, the guy is bigger around the middle and will not win a muscularity contest in the near future but I see him doing that on purpose. Everyone will continuously underestimate his ability and it shows strategy. I have said it many times that he makes me feel like I could be a fighter, because he looks so average. I seriously doubt with his work ethic he would have a problem cutting to LHW (which I think he should do, but doubt he will).

2. His fights are "boring." Again perception and strategy. If he only does enough to win then people will underestimate his ability and he does not have to show his true potential and can "keep tricks in the bag" so to speak. At least 3 of the current champions (GSP, Silva and Machida) are frowned upon for this same type of strategy. Also, if he sets the bar in people's minds low and wins it seems a greater victory than it really was.

3. By making the jokes and being confident in his abilities he comes across as an arrogant fat guy to most, but I see him as seeing himself as just an ordinary guy that fights and can fight well. There may be interviews out there, but I have not heard him say that this or that fighter sucks or that they do not belong in the ring with Nelson. He usually says he is going to do what it takes to win.

That said people's opinions are their own and I'm not trying to clown or flame anyone just stating that many of the reasons people show him no love are the same reasons I think he is one of the most interesting characters in the UFC.

First of all I respect Lesnar, Mir, and Nelson's skills, but they are d-bags as people, and that is how we gauge people, on their personality. I don't care how skilled they are I won't ever like any of the three, there is just something about them that makes my skin crawl with disapproval for them.

People only like fighters who look like bodybuilders, I mean god forbid a fighter have even a pound of fat on them. People think the bigger the muscles a fighter has, the more strong they must be, which is completely untrue. Look at how strong a bodybuilder is compared to a weightlifter (Strongman competitions), you will easily see bodybuilder are weak compared to them.

Roy is a good fighter, maybe not one of the best but he could easily be a gatekeeper.

For those that hate on Nelson for his belly. Last time I checked this is MMA not a body building competition.

He has a good skill set. Heavy hands and a good ground game. If this guy had the rippling 6 pack you all think he should you would be all jumping on his band wagon.

My wife likes watching MMA for all the ripped up guys. The fact some of you judge a fighter on the same scale makes me wonder.

First of all I respect Lesnar' date=' Mir, and Nelson's skills, but they are d-bags as people, and that is how we gauge people, on their personality. I don't care how skilled they are I won't ever like any of the three, there is just something about them that makes my skin crawl with disapproval for them.[/quote']

Obviously, you are not a fan of Transformers and Dragon Ball Z. I can care less for Brock and Nelson, but Mir has some serious trash talking skills.

Mir reminds me of Star Scream and Vegita.

Here's my opinion on the three fighters mentioned, Brock, Nelson and Mir.

Brock and Nelson have revealed their true colors, whereas Mir is deliberately being disrespectful and condescending, not because that is his personality, but because he knows how to play the game.

I have said this before, Mir says all this to gain publicity and hype for all of his matches and at the end of the day, it results in a higher pay-day for him. Doesn't take a genius to figure this out.

Roy should be treated with more respect ' date=' hes a good fighter[/quote']

yeah he should. I don't like him either but he should still be treated with a bit more respect. He easily won TUF and after his next fight he should on track to fight some tougher competition.

Archived