Does anyone else HATE the new Cheick Kongo?

mikey062804

The old Cheick Kongo had no ground game, but was a wrecking machine on the feet. The new Cheick Kongo shys away from a brawl, shoots on his opponents, and employs a mediocre ground game. That fight with Paul Buentello should have been a barnburner, but Kongo made it boring by basically refusing to slug it out for most of the fight. Please, Cheick, get back to knocking guys out. I wouldn't judge you for losing as long as you went out swinging.

Kongo put on one of the most intelligent fights of his life, nullifying any of his opponent's chances of winning.

Normally, I would have drawn my sword and slash the OP to pieces, but I am gassed from all the debates I have partaken this week. I am sure some younger and hungrier member will take up the slack.

its only been one fight that he did that,im sure he didnt wanna take the chance of getting KO'd by a lower ranked HW for his 3rd straight loss

and this is MMA,whats wrong with using ground game

the only thing i saw in that fight that i didnt like was kongo was a little overly aggressive,kneeing buentello in the head when he was downed

he was kinda getting a little too crazy

Kongo put on one of the most intelligent fights of his life' date=' nullifying any of his opponent's chances of winning.

[b']Normally, I would have drawn my sword and slash the OP to pieces, but I am gassed from all the debates I have partaken this week.[/b] I am sure some younger and hungrier member will take up the slack.

yeah right your probly still hung over from the other night

The old Cheick Kongo had no ground game' date=' but was a wrecking machine on the feet. The new Cheick Kongo shys away from a brawl, shoots on his opponents, and employs a mediocre ground game. That fight with Paul Buentello should have been a barnburner, but Kongo made it boring by basically refusing to slug it out for most of the fight. Please, Cheick, get back to knocking guys out. I wouldn't judge you for losing as long as you went out swinging.[/quote']

haha you need to be corrected. There is no 'new' Cheick Kongo'. If anything he felt he was gonna get cut from the UFC if he lost to Paul so he went with the best gameplan and followed it thoroughly, i.e. take down Paul and apply pressure. We all know Paul is a tough mofo that loves to stand and bang with knockout power, so Cheick would be silly standing with him... too much risk.

I hated the old Kongo, and I hate the new one equally. He's just a bad fighter. I can't appreciate any fighter that is simply a striking machine or a brawler. I know you simple fans (TC) enjoy these fluffers who have no real skills but put on standing-only brawls, but to many of us we see them for what they are: Fighters with no real chance to go anywhere, with no real skills and therefore must always be put in gimick matches. Please UFC, make that the last fight Kongo is ever in.

Having said that, I was happy to see Kongo for once actually employ some kind of strategy regardless of how ugly his takedowns were.

i honestly dont like kongo now' date=' i dont know what it is exactly but i think its his attitude and the way he comes across in interviews. I wanted paul to win and its a shame but until after this fight i didnt mind kongo, but now im not a fan of his.[/quote']

Kongo looked completely stupid agaisnt MIR....and got his check thumping pea Brain choked out....lol

i would love kongo too, he was one of the first ufc fighters i saw (rented a dvd YEAAARS back).

have seen him regularly since then.... hasn't changed at all, and he is a pro athlete, needs to do sum ahh 'work'.

and no, his attempt at wrestling doesn't count lol (i've seen those little 5 year olds doing wrestling, more skill, technique than him)

it really looks like he has never trained in any grappling

The old Cheick Kongo had no ground game' date=' but was a wrecking machine on the feet. The new Cheick Kongo shys away from a brawl, shoots on his opponents, and employs a mediocre ground game. That fight with Paul Buentello should have been a barnburner, but Kongo made it boring by basically refusing to slug it out for most of the fight. Please, Cheick, get back to knocking guys out. I wouldn't judge you for losing as long as you went out swinging.[/quote']

I don't think what we saw will be characteristic of Kongo at all times. I think this was just his way of punishing Paul for being 1 dimensional. Still, I wasn't really impressed at all with the win, Kongo really didn't show that his last loss was just bad luck and he's still a force to be reconned with in the division in that fight. It was a GSP style safe win, which is fine when you're just dragging out a narrow win against the #2 guy in the division, but if you're a serious contender you shouldn't have to get wins like that on guys like PB.

What ever, maybe he's prove himself in his next fight.

It only took Kongo 4-5 years to get a so/so ground game. About Time!

So since when did we start putting down a fighter for becoming well rounded. or at least oval shaped.....

If you know anything about MMA then you know that more that half the battle is STRATEGY!!!! You have to have a good game plan as each fighter has his or own strenghs and weaknesses.

To stand and trade with Paul would have been like playing Russian Roullete. What a pointless gamble. Comming off a loss Kongo could not afford to get into a standup brawl. He played that fight perfect and I for one am glad to see him finally getting some ground game.

In conclusion I am just trying to say, don't hate the guy for playing it safe and tryin to get the W, atleast he was active when he got the takedown and didn't lay n pray.

I don't think what we saw will be characteristic of Kongo at all times. I think this was just his way of punishing Paul for being 1 dimensional. Still' date=' I wasn't really impressed at all with the win, Kongo really didn't show that his last loss was just bad luck and he's still a force to be reconned with in the division in that fight. It was a GSP style safe win, which is fine when you're just dragging out a narrow win against the #2 guy in the division, but if you're a serious contender you shouldn't have to get wins like that on guys like PB.

What ever, maybe he's prove himself in his next fight.[/quote']

This. Kongo actually showed some smarts by not standing with Buentello.

You need not worry about this "new" Kongo. He will not fight like that every fight. He realized his opponent's weakness and exploited it. He should be commended' date=' not flamed. Kongo fought the smart fight and won.[/quote']

I like Kongo, but he is a mere gate Keeper, soon Mir will join him

well maybe the new cheick Kongo hates you

A fighter's strongest asset is his mind, and Sagat...sorrry Kongo showed in this fight that he had one. Don't think he has the crowd appeal as a Bonnar, Grifffin or Liddel to continuously lose fights and keep his job. He may have taken the low road in d OP's opinion, diversification of skills is not in my opinion, but he got the win over a game opponent. Yeah i'm a Kongo Fan.

I'll never understand some UFC fans. Cheick's losses in the UFC have been from being dominated by people with strong ground games.The biggest knock on the guy from being a true contender is exactly that. So he works on his wrestling, which btw he showed against Al Turk with some vicious GnP,.He wins a fight he desperatly needed to win after two straight defeats,in dominant fashion. And then people knock him.

FFS people. Pull your heads out of your asses.

I'll never understand some UFC fans. Cheick's losses in the UFC have been from being dominated by people with strong ground games.The biggest knock on the guy from being a true contender is exactly that. So he works on his wrestling' date=' which btw he showed against Al Turk with some vicious GnP,.He wins a fight he desperatly needed to win after two straight defeats,in dominant fashion. And then people knock him.

FFS people. Pull your heads out of your asses.[/quote']

The voice of reason has arrived in this thread!

Kongo put on one of the most intelligent fights of his life' date=' nullifying any of his opponent's chances of winning.

Normally, I would have drawn my sword and slash the OP to pieces, but I am gassed from all the debates I have partaken this week. I am sure some younger and hungrier member will take up the slack.[/quote']

Great post!! Plus I laughed at the younger hungrier part.

Kongo sucks man. I was hoping he lost to Buentello so the UFC would give him his walking papers.

This is just uncalled for. How can you say a guy that is a feared striker in the HW division of the UFC sucks? Have some respect.

You need not worry about this "new" Kongo. He will not fight like that every fight. He realized his opponent's weakness and exploited it. He should be commended' date=' not flamed. Kongo fought the smart fight and won.[/quote']

Another guy that knows what he's talking about.

I'll never understand some UFC fans. Cheick's losses in the UFC have been from being dominated by people with strong ground games.The biggest knock on the guy from being a true contender is exactly that. So he works on his wrestling' date=' which btw he showed against Al Turk with some vicious GnP,.He wins a fight he desperatly needed to win after two straight defeats,in dominant fashion. And then people knock him.

Best post of the Thread!!!

Kongo is doing what it takes to win, that's the objective when fighting someone, win.

He's made use of some new ground skills and has had some BRUTAL GnP showings because of this.

He's been critisized for having no ground game, and now that he's showing a ground game, he's getting hate?

makes no sense to flame over this.

Well put. But I'm sure the thread starter will still be unable to comprehend such a reasoned explanation.

He would still think "me like men who punch, Kongo punch lots, me like him, no wait he now wrestle, me dont like no more. Mummy!"

He's been critisized for having no ground game' date=' and now that he's showing a ground game, he's getting hate?

[/quote']

See, the thing is, anyone can look good when you wrestle with someone who has no intention whatsoever of trying to grapple back. Everyone thinks Kongo has a great ground game now? That's funny, put him in there with another wrestler and you will see the same thing from the Cain fight. Just because Kongo took-down Paul, this shows nothing of Kongo's take down defense. Most good strikers are able to stuff take-downs thus dictating where the fight goes.

Plus, even with his take-downs, it led to NONE of his so called "vicious ground and pound".

For being a "fearsome striker" with about a 6" reach advantage over Paul, nothing Kongo did impressed me at all, other than the fact that he made over 100k for elbowing Paul in the hip.

First off, I would like to thank everyone that responded to my post. Most of you had good points. Kongo did play it safe and fight a smart fight that didn't put him in danger. For the record, i'm not a Neanderthal who just loves the standup. I enjoy submissions and ground work just as much. The point is, Kongo didn't go for subs or really do a lot of ground and pound. Those elbows to the thigh that caused Buentello to tap and the knees (some legal, some not) were the only sighnificant blows that I saw on the ground. I'm mainly disappointed because it could have been a better fight than it was. But now that Kongo has some breathing room, maybe next time, he'll put on more of a show. And I don't really HATE Cheick Kongo. That was a strong term to use. Maybe I'll be more diplomatic next time.

Why do people say he has no ground game?? Was i the only one who watched him fight Cro Cop?? He did the same thing with him just kept taking him down and GnP him for the win. So to say he has no ground game is kinda dumb I would say that he has good offensive ground game but has no defence cuz as big as he is he just lays there when he gets taken down. But back to the does anyone hate the new kongo thing... I really never liked him to begin with and still dont really care much if people are hating on him. but he is ok to use in the game

Paul Buentello has no ground game. So why would you not take the fight to the ground? I honestly would have been disappointed with Kongo if he had not gone for the take down. Sure it would have been a more exciting fight, but I want to see competitive fights. I want to see guys go in every time and use every weapon in their arsenal to try to win. This isn't a freak show. You shouldn't be punished for exploiting your opponents weaknesses.

OP just sounds like the guys who hate on GSP for dominating with wrestling. If you can't defend it, that's too ****ing bad.

This happens everytime a really intense knockout artist happens to have a mediocre win.. It happened when Anderson Silva beat Cote and Leites and everyone said he was done and boring... It takes a TRUE mma fan to stick with his favorite fighters..I have loved Kongo since he came to the UFC and I will continue to get amped up EVERY time he enters the octogan!!

Archived