bader and brock and others....

slapped_meat

right here's my question, when i read threads about brock or more recently i just read one on bader i always seem to hear about Division 1 champ or NCAA, it's obvious these are sporting achievments...but being english i dont really understand exactly how impressed i should be. Yeah i could trawl through the net and find out but sometimes its easier to get somebody to explain it. When i hear rogan or goldberg saying 2 time division 1 blah blah at the ufc events it sounds like i should be impressed with it, i probably should but im not cos i have no clue what it is. Is it like a high school compition, under 18's? or what. Same as when they say 'All American'. You seem to have a fairly different structure to your sports over there than us.

Its like the thread on bader i just read...someone wrote, he's a PAC10 and Div 1...all that stuff like it should mean something, but it doesnt, but i want it to. I wouldnt be over impressed if it was 16-18yr old only....or only 20 people enter....i would however if it was anyone of any age in the usa that could enter.

NCAA = Nation Collegiate Athletic Association.

the ncaa regulates all sports in universities & colleges.

there are different divisions in college/universities

1,2,3 etc... div. 1 being the highest.

pac-10 means the college/university is part

of a group of colleges/universities.

since there are a vast number of universities,

and colleges they section them off by

regions(east/west - north/south).

by other means such as the "ivy league"

which are very pretigious universities.

here's a quick run-down.

1. university of "blank" like USC = univeristy of southern california

or UCLA = university of california @ Los Angeles, etc...

2. state universities (CAL STATE long beach or fullerton)

3. city/community/local colleges (long beach city college or fullerton city college)

since im in california I used the above to explain(I hope)?

i have always wondered aswell as im british and in england we have nothing like that.

still dont really get it after he explained it lol

so is what brock an kos have that ncaa div1 championship the highest most prestigeous wrestling title you can have????

maybe all I did was confuse you?

hahaha!

they compete in tournaments in various weight divisions

against each-other till there are only (2) athletes left.

they compete every year (all the colleges & universities)

city by city, state by state etc...

each "state" in the USA may have 1-5 major universities,

1-5 state colleges, and as many as 1-20 local colleges!

there are VAST numbers of universities and colleges.

I know nobody wants to google it, but...

google: NCAA (and due the research)

Pac 10 is a conference, pacific 10, its 10 colleges on the pacific coast. Like SEC is south eastern conference. Division 1 college sports is what they show on tv cause its the one that matters. They might show some division 2 on espnu.

You over there have championships in your colleges or universities. You have rugby, Football (the real kind, not sure if you spell it the same?), and other sports that you can achieve accolades.

All American means you made a team out of all the compettitors in america at your particular division (168lbs, however much it is in stone for yall, I have no idea :) ) Meaning you stood out and earned that recognition.

Div 1 Champ means that you first earned your spot in the Div 1 Tornament to win the National Championship, making you the best.

Does that help you at all?

You over there have championships in your colleges or universities. You have rugby' date=' Football (the real kind, not sure if you spell it the same?), and other sports that you can achieve accolades.

All American means you made a team out of all the compettitors in america at your particular division (168lbs, however much it is in stone for yall, I have no idea :) ) Meaning you stood out and earned that recognition.

Div 1 Champ means that you first earned your spot in the Div 1 Tornament to win the National Championship, making you the best.

Does that help you at all?[/quote']

There isnt much support for college sport in the UK unfortunately, I dont know why but its making us fall well behind in pretty much every sport. A few schools have tried to bring in Boxing which would be a great idea but over protective parents and government agencies always oppose it.

Its a shame really, the FA (Football Association) in the UK has even come up with this idea of football matches where no-one wins and its all about the taking part because they think concentrating on taking part is more important that wanting to be a success, some sh!t about being on the losing side not being good for them

Being a PAC10 Div 1 wrestler would be like the equivalent of being in the top league of University wrestlers in Northern England (or whatever). PAC10 is just a group of colleges that are all on the Pacific coast on the states. All you need to know about Divisions is that Div 1 is the top division with the best athletes.

So in the MMA world, if a fighter is a Div 1 Champ, it would mean at some point during their time at college they won the tournament held between all of these Colleges in their respective weight class.

All the NCAA is in simple terms, is basically the co-ordinators of College sport. So kind of like the 'FA' but for Colleges and all sports that colleges compete in.

Being kiwi, I had to do the research ages ago when I first got into College Basketball. Hope that helps!

As someone who has first hand experience the college UMBC (University of Maryland Baltimore County) on a partial scholarship for baseball I can tell you the difference between division 1 athletes and the rest is a huge huge step. I was not good enough to be competitive in my freshmen year and decided the commitment needed to be good was beyond my ability to balance school and sport so my freshmen year was my only year playing sports at this level. It's fricken insane the athletes you will compete against and honestly UMBC was not an upper level Division 1 school. Perhaps my limited experience gives you an idea of how competative atheletes from Division 1 programs are. Ofcourse I was one of the best at my sport around our moderate to small town in highschool but small small potatos when I went to UMBC.

right here's my question' date=' when i read threads about brock or more recently i just read one on bader i always seem to hear about Division 1 champ or NCAA, it's obvious these are sporting achievments...but being english i dont really understand exactly how impressed i should be. Yeah i could trawl through the net and find out but sometimes its easier to get somebody to explain it. When i hear rogan or goldberg saying 2 time division 1 blah blah at the ufc events it sounds like i should be impressed with it, i probably should but im not cos i have no clue what it is. Is it like a high school compition, under 18's? or what. Same as when they say 'All American'. You seem to have a fairly different structure to your sports over there than us.

Its like the thread on bader i just read...someone wrote, he's a PAC10 and Div 1...all that stuff like it should mean something, but it doesnt, but i want it to. I wouldnt be over impressed if it was 16-18yr old only....or only 20 people enter....i would however if it was anyone of any age in the usa that could enter.[/quote']

It means the Top of the Food Chain bro, the best of the best. It should be easy to see when watching Bader or Brock fight that their skills in controlling their opponent is 2nd to none.

Basically if you are a NCAA Division 1 National Champion, you were the best in the country at your weight class of wrestlers between ages 18 and roughly 22. Other than international competition, this is the highest honor a wrestler can achieve in the United States.

Archived