best mma dicipline

ShotyDee

what style do you think is going to be the style to be dominate in mma.. joe rogan says that wrestling is the best base to have n so, guess its been provn and of course jj, when r.gracie put every one to shame..

but IMO its gotta be boxing and wrestling...

if you cant outstrike your opponent you take them down n contrl them if you know wat subs to look out for.. wrestlers are quick to catch the first kick thrown for the takedown therefore nulifys kickboxing...

just a thought..

For striking, how can you go anywhere but Muay Thai? The most versitle Striking in the MMA world.

For the Ground game, I would say Japanese JJ. They incorporate more Judo throws, and have that sneaky submission style.

Or maybe I just really like seeing these styles at thier best... Thats probably what it is.

what style do you think is going to be the style to be dominate in mma.. joe rogan says that wrestling is the best base to have n so' date=' guess its been provn and of course jj, when r.gracie put every one to shame..

but IMO its gotta be boxing and wrestling...

if you cant outstrike your opponent you take them down n contrl them if you know wat subs to look out for.. wrestlers are quick to catch the first kick thrown for the takedown therefore nulifys kickboxing...

just a thought..[/quote']

Joe Rogan is right.

Wrestlers just have better training. If you put a kid through comparable BJJ trainnig he would come out as good - but where do you find it? Where are the little leagues and colleges for BJJ or kivk boxing?

If you wanna train localy, use this. Its how I found a Gracie Barra gym where I live, then it changed its name to Stronghold. But Anyway. http://fightteam.net/

Wrestlers just have better training. If you put a kid through comparable BJJ trainnig he would come out as good - but where do you find it? Where are the little leagues and colleges for BJJ or kivk boxing?

Cagerattler is right, these guy eat, sleep and breath wrestiling there whole life since 8 yrs old. There parents send them to wrestiling camp, they train after school at school and they get scholarships to great schools for it, IT IS THERE LIFE. They have the hardest part of fighting down pat, the mental part. They have been cutting weight so long its second nature to them.

you make a good point...

what if bjj replaced wrestling in school?

I mainly train Muay Thai for my stand up and BJJ for ground game.

I wrestled from elementry threw high school so I'm good on that.

The reason Joe says its the best BASE to have coming into MMA is because it is true. Wrestlers know about body positioning, hip movement, and balance. All key things you are going to need to get back to your feet or gain a dominate position when taken to the ground.

As for boxing, it isn't my strong point I would rather take a fight to the ground or throw kicks n knees.

When I started training years ago, I made my mind up that I wanted to be Muay Thai and BJJ. Once I get my Muay skills where I want them, I will go back training boxing but for now I got too much on the plate.

Cagerattler is right' date=' these guy eat, sleep and breath wrestiling there whole life since 8 yrs old. There parents send them to wrestiling camp, they train after school at school and they get scholarships to great schools for it, IT IS THERE LIFE. They have the hardest part of fighting down pat, the mental part. They have been cutting weight so long its second nature to them.[/quote']

+1 booya

I mainly train Muay Thai for my stand up and BJJ for ground game.

I wrestled from elementry threw high school so I'm good on that.

The reason Joe says its the best BASE to have coming into MMA is because it is true. Wrestlers know about body positioning' date=' hip movement, and balance. All key things you are going to need to get back to your feet or gain a dominate position when taken to the ground.

As for boxing, it isn't my strong point I would rather take a fight to the ground or throw kicks n knees.

When I started training years ago, I made my mind up that I wanted to be Muay Thai and BJJ. Once I get my Muay skills where I want them, I will go back training boxing but for now I got too much on the plate.[/quote']

ive always liked muy thai for a stand up war..some dudes have to much pride in a fight and rather keep it one the feet, than play it safe n go 4 a takedown.. but still muy thai is frikn vicious, thailand are born n bred on that..

Gotta say Machidas karate is pretty damn effective, but Muay thai would be the general best thing to be good at imo. As far as ground game goes i think a combination of Judo and wrestling would be ideal because if you watch guys like guillard people are confused to be hell after they get taken down by a throw but they need the wrestling to capitolize on it

For UFC or unified rules mma i would say wrestling as it caters more to them, i.e-no soccer kicks or stomps to the head of a grounded ooponent, no knees to the head of a grounded opponent, and the cage itself. But if its more like a japanese or pride style mma, than i would say a more striking or submission type of discipline.

Gotta say Machidas karate is pretty damn effective' date=' but Muay thai would be the general best thing to be good at imo. As far as ground game goes i think a combination of Judo and wrestling would be ideal because if you watch guys like guillard people are confused to be hell after they get taken down by a throw but they need the wrestling to capitolize on it[/quote']

machida karate is his combination off mma, the amount of martial art you need to know machida karate is beyond believable. exp - sumo, mui thai, shotokan karate, judo, boxing, wrestling, bjj. its everything put together in a way to fit machida, much like jeet kun do for bruce lee.

but yes i wrestled in high school and ill be honest i wasnt amazing. (went 67-23 in 4 year) but i had a couple kids on the team that got scholarships, and they were able to cut weight like its second nature. (40 pounds in 6 days!!) they were also able to takedown people at will.

i hate to say this but if you have the best wrestling you can win any mma fight. take them down control them, then what we call it, lay and pray. repeat after stand up. that is considering the wrestler has such great ground control not even a bjj master can pull rubber guard,

you make a good point...

what if bjj replaced wrestling in school?

If you put it that way, BJJ is a better discipline. Wrestling just has such a high quantity of people practicing, that naturally the college national champs are VERY VERY GOOD. I mean, to be the best out of millions, is saying a lot.

So it might not necessarily mean that wrestling is the best foundation, its just that wrestling has the highest quantity to pick from. Same thing can be said for Brazilians and jiu-jitsu

This is why America has so many successful mma stars (strong tradition of wrestlers) and Brazil has so much success (strong tradition of kids growing up with BJJ)

Archived