GSP cutting 30pounds?!?!?

UltimatelyWelsh

gsp has said he expects to be 191pounds come fight night, this seems to suggest that he will be walking round at 200+ and will therefore be cutting a lot of weight - more than he is used too. does anyone think it could be a problem for him, cos with out his supreme cardio he could be a bad night for gsp? hope so lol

gsp has said he expects to be 191pounds come fight night' date=' this seems to suggest that he will be walking round at 200+ and will therefore be cutting a lot of weight - more than he is used too. does anyone think it could be a problem for him, cos with out his supreme cardio he could be a bad night for gsp? hope so lol[/quote']

Source?

Thats still only a 20lb cut not 30. I doubt GSP even walks around over 200 inbetween fights. Guys seems to always be in shape and training.

Exactly.

His fight weight, is pretty much his walk-around weight.

He's not one of these guys who balloon between training camps. The reason for this? Because he's always training!

can someone please enlighten me' date=' im not familiar with cutting weight

hes gona weigh-in at 170 but he wants to fight at 190

i know weigh-ins are like 3 days before the fight so how is he gona put on 20 pounds in such a short amount of time??[/quote']

Weigh ins are the afternoon on the day before the fight. Usually they cut water weight by dehydrating themselves to make weight, then rehydrate in the time between the weigh in and the fight.

can someone please enlighten me' date=' im not familiar with cutting weight

hes gona weigh-in at 170 but he wants to fight at 190

i know weigh-ins are like 3 days before the fight so how is he gona put on 20 pounds in such a short amount of time??[/quote']

A week or so before the fight they completely cut out carbs from their diet. Carbs hold water weight. Then they also use sauna and trash-bag suits to sweat out the rest of the weight. Right after the weighins they carbo-load and rehydrate. Wrestlers are very good at this because they have had a lot of practice.

You hear guys talk about a hard cut or a good cut. It's all how easily that weight comes off. If it's not coming off as expected, they basically starve themselves.

GSP has always stayed right around 185lbs because he realizes that the cut's are unhealthy and he wants to have a long career. The increase in size is a pretty good indication of his intentions in the near future.

It's funny that at his current weight' date=' GSP not only doesn't fit in the welterweight division, but also would have to cut for middleweight. Haha.[/quote']

It's rumored that Thiago Alves and Rumble Johnson walk around at 220 before they start their cuts. GSP is in the middle as far as size of WW contenders go.

I saw GSP on Off the Record last week. He says he's walking around at 191-192 these days. He cuts to 170' date=' and claims that by fight time, he's back to full weight. He says Friday afternoon to Saturday night is ample time to gain it back.[/quote']

I wrestled for many years and I know that I never got back to my walk around weight before a match and I have never seen anyone else do it either. Obviously GSP is training harder and is in better shape than I ever was but getting back to your walk around weight is almost impossible I think. If he is actually doing this then they have the perfect regimen worked out for him.

It's rumored that Thiago Alves and Rumble Johnson walk around at 220 before they start their cuts. GSP is in the middle as far as size of WW contenders go.

Those are just that... rumors. Thiago Alves is about 200 pounds and the only reason Anthony Johnson got up to 220 was because of a knee injury that kept him from being able to train but I still think Rumble is too big for the weightclass at 205ish in shape. He needs to go ahead and make the jump to 185. If Johnson even got a title shot he better hope he knocks the champ out in the first round of the fight because after that he is going to gas because of cutting all that weight.

Like was said earlier GSP said himself hes 193. Kos was asked on his twitter about a drop to LW and Kos responded it would be impossible because he weighs 193. Georges has fought at welterweight only his entire career I don't think him putting on a few pounds will affect his cut considering hes done it over 20 times now. So basically Georges is just keeping up with everyone else thats so big for welterweight. Jon Fitch is 196 and so on with just about everyone else. There's not a welterweight under 185 that I know of because most under 185 are cutting to 155. Hell Gleison Tibau has said hes 84 kilos (185) on fight night yet he cuts to fight at LW. Sounds extremely unhealthy but if he can do it oh well. He will pay for it later in life.

GSP's conditioning has never been an issue, and with the more muscular frame he has now his anaerobic conditioning will be even better. I don't think the cut will be a problem, as lesser athletes routinely cut larger amounts and still fight at peak condition. (ie: Gleison Thibau, a brazilian who is the same size as thiago alves and fights at LW)

Wait a minute... you're saying GSP can rehydrate 21 lbs of water in one day? That's crazy.

I doubt he is 191 even right now two days before the fight. I would guess his last day cut to tomorrows weigh in is maybe 10-15lbs, then he will rehydrate and slam some carbs to get back to 190ish.

never know.. i dont see it being that difficult .. he said he will do it the smart way and that takes a while to properly put the muscle on. another good year and he could easily put the weight on .. maybe the other guys might be bigger but he still retains the skills

never know.. i dont see it being that difficult .. he said he will do it the smart way and that takes a while to properly put the muscle on. another good year and he could easily put the weight on .. maybe the other guys might be bigger but he still retains the skills

I just don't see it. Ya he has great skills but look at say Jon Jones. Guy is easily 220lbs on fight night, 6'4 with a 86 inch reach.

GSP is 5'10 with a 76" inch reach.While he has a big frame for 5'10 to get to 220 lbs of muscle I think he would lose to much flexability and speed. At some point you are just giving up to much physically.

No. I don't understand where simply logic and math eludes the OP but.

He says he expects to come in at 191lbs

At weigh ins it's 170lbs.

That's 21lbs for the math challenged.

GSP doesn't weight 200 even in off-season.

As many others have said...Sorry I start posting then scroll up as im typing.

Also don't want to critisize but. Dana White himself said he doesn't plan on having GSP/Silva fight.

Recently mentioned A.Silva is a natural LHW and too big for GSP.

GSP had offered to fight at catch weight and DW said no.

As well Silva doesn't seem interested in a fight with GSP.

ps; I'm not meaning to come off harsh so please don't take it that way.

Archived