Why do fighters cut weight?

Jokerslastlaugh

Before I get bombarded by hate, just understand that I know this is a newb question.

From what I understand, fighters cut weight so they can regain it quickly and have a weight advantage over their opponent. However, I have heard that this can really hurt a fighter's cardio. Are fighters supposed to (unofficially) cut weight?

For example, if I someone walked around at 205, they wouldn't be fighting at lhw? Seems odd to me.

Again, I know this is a newb question. Even though I'll bet that won't stop some people from pouring the hate on me.

i think lots of the japanese guys fight at around their normal weights, kind of a american thing i think (from what i understand all the collegiate wrestlers and stuff cut weight).

and cutting small amounts of weight is easy, i have never cut weight, but in summer i do a fat burn, weigh 75kgs to start, and afterwards am only 72 kgs (loss of about 6 pounds), muscle is 90% water or something like that.

if you walk around at 205 and want to fight at 205, well you should put on a few more pounds of muscle and do a really easy cut, with all they know about diet and exercise today, you can put on 5 pounds of muscle in a few weeks (long term). just seems silly to not cut any weight

Before I get bombarded by hate' date=' just understand that[i'] I know this is a newb question[/i].

From what I understand, fighters cut weight so they can regain it quickly and have a weight advantage over their opponent. However, I have heard that this can really hurt a fighter's cardio. Are fighters supposed to (unofficially) cut weight?

For example, if I someone walked around at 205, they wouldn't be fighting at lhw? Seems odd to me.

Again, I know this is a newb question. Even though I'll bet that won't stop some people from pouring the hate on me.

u will not be hated on brother, ur question is a valid one

i think lots of the japanese guys fight at around their normal weights' date=' kind of a american thing i think (from what i understand all the collegiate wrestlers and stuff cut weight).

and cutting small amounts of weight is easy, i have never cut weight, but in summer i do a fat burn, weigh 75kgs to start, and afterwards am only 72 kgs (loss of about 6 pounds), muscle is 90% water or something like that.

if you walk around at 205 and want to fight at 205, well you should put on a few more pounds of muscle and do a really easy cut, with all they know about diet and exercise today, you can put on 5 pounds of muscle in a few weeks (long term). just seems silly to not cut any weight[/quote']

Yeah a lot of Japanese fighters have even fought at 205 and HW weighing like 190-195. Guys like Sakuraba. Now most know they have to atleast cut a little but they are still really small for their divisions usually compared to a lot of UFC fighters. Like Minowaman who is 190 or so will cut to 185 and a theres a bunch of 170 fighters that are much bigger then him. A lot of the Gracies would fight out of weightclass as well. Renzo would weigh for a 185 fight at like 181, he won't even be a big WW against hughes.

Akiyama is a good example of a undersized MW in the UFC hes probably not even 200 pounds belcher dwarfed him. Dan Henderson is a good example of an american though that isn't even a big MW by todays standards. He walks around 205 and theres a ton of 210-220 MWs now. So when Dan fights at LHW he doesn't even have to cut weight but in a fight like his with Rampage he was giving up 20 pounds fight night.

Well it's a thin line. Everyone's different in how much they can cut comfortably, but everyone can cut a solid 10 to 15 pounds of water without it being a negative effect on their performance. Some people like Anthony Johnson can cut more without it being a big deal. The only problem is when people start losing fights and view weight-cutting as the solution. That's when you see people cutting too much weight to hold a big size advantage, like James Irvin.

Before I get bombarded by hate' date=' just understand that[i'] I know this is a newb question[/i].

1 - They don't cut the weight to regain it. When done properly a fighter can cut as mentioned water weight (dehydrate themselves) from a much higher weight done over a period of time so reach the weigh ins at the correct weight 205-206 (for thw LHW division) Because the body acts like a sponge it is easily able to recoup said weight in a short amount of time. Therefore will give the ability to outweigh opposition.

2 - It does not directly effect your cardio. If not done properly it can affect your entire being.

3 - It is not required nor frowned upon. As it is done from very early in many sports.

4 - Walking around at 205 depending on how you feel you could fight at LHW and propably be small for that division, or decide to drop down to the 185 division.

It all depends on the person and how his/her body handles the cut.

1 - They don't cut the weight to regain it. When done properly a fighter can cut as mentioned water weight (dehydrate themselves) from a much higher weight done over a period of time so reach the weigh ins at the correct weight 205-206 (for thw LHW division) Because the body acts like a sponge it is easily able to recoup said weight in a short amount of time. Therefore will give the ability to outweigh opposition.

2 - It does not directly effect your cardio. If not done properly it can affect your entire being.

3 - It is not required nor frowned upon. As it is done from very early in many sports.

4 - Walking around at 205 depending on how you feel you could fight at LHW and propably be small for that division' date=' or decide to drop down to the 185 division.

It all depends on the person and how his/her body handles the cut.[/quote']

well done brother..very informative

It's a fair question.

The primary reason people cut weight is for a competitive advantage. It's not unheard of for fighters to put back on 10 - 15 lbs between weigh ins and fight time (I've heard of some boxers adding as much as 20 lbs, which seems a bit unearthly). So, let's look at a scenario:

Fighter A fights at his "natural" weight of 185. He routinely walks around at about 187 and easily makes 185 without effort after camp. Fighter B walks around at about 210 and cuts down to 185. Come fight time, Fighter A weighs his natural 187 while Fighter B has rehydrated back to a respectable 200 even. It's no big secret bigger people can move smaller people with more ease, generally have more strength, and on the whole hit harder since they can put more weight behind a strike. Fighter B enjoys 13 lbs on Fighter A. If the fight is standing, that's 13 extra lbs Fighter A has to push around anytime there's a clinch or close fighting. On the ground, that's 13 extra lbs Fighter A has on top of him, or it's 13 less lbs Fighter B has to unbalance to sweep or escape. If you've ever wrestled or grappled you know 13 lbs is a ton of weight if you're equally skilled. Or, if you've ever watched boxing it's a brutal sight to see someone box another person outweighing them by 13 lbs.

Competitive advantage. Like steroids, but legal.

To illustrate my point I just heard GSP say he expects to weigh around 191 at fight time.

Boxers often get 24 hrs (or less) to rehydrate. MMA usually get 2 days. So' date=' gaining 21 lbs isn't quite as impressive as in boxing, but it's still HUGE in terms of advantage.[/quote']

MMA fighters don't get 2 days usually about 30 hours or so. If you are the opening prelim bout obviously more like 28 and if you are the main event probably 32+

Fighters cut weight because they work out, its that simple. When you run, jog, wrestle, you naturally lose weight. If you just walk around at 205 and think you can jump in the cage without running and cardio, you have a problem. I wrestled for years and cut around 5 to 10lbs of water weight regularly. When u are not working out intensly, its easy to gain a lot of weight. Its not smart to jump into a weight class that you are walking around at, it means that you probably have not pushed yourself very much, and you'd probably get killed like many of the Japenese guys when they face guys who walk around at 185lbs but fight at 170 while the Japanese guys weren't pushing their cardio and training and naturally weighed 170lbs. Cutting weight is almost natural, but their is an advantage to doing it because you retain your natural strength and put on the water weight again within a day.

Archived