Gsp

Rebel316

I need help understanding the fact that GSP is around 190 lbs. when he is the Welterweight Champion..He said at the Pre-fight conference that at the weigh ins..he shud be around 191 or 192..and I was like wtf..isnt welterweight the 170 lb class?

Its basically a given in combat sports that guys cut weight. Hardy is no small guy himself and will probably be right around the same weight as GSP come fight time.

I need help understanding the fact that GSP is around 190 lbs. when he is the Welterweight Champion..He said at the Pre-fight conference that at the weigh ins..he shud be around 191 or 192..and I was like wtf..isnt welterweight the 170 lb class?

What the do is they cut weight. Basically they can use these bags that make them sweat like crazy and lose like 8lbs of water or more in around 45 minutes from exercising regulaly its very dangerous if not done correctly. And so they cut like 20 lbs and then drink all that water to bring the weight back to normal. And there are toher techbiques out there thats the only one I am familiar with.

Yeah they cut out Carbs about a week before the weight ins. Carbs hold water weight and so with a lack of carbs the water should come out fairly easily. It's is dangerous though and hard on the body and will have it's negative effects in the ring.

It's kind of a give and take. You need to be a certain size to contend with the bigger guys but you don't want to sap your energy and endurance by cutting too much. GSP usually fought around 185 because he didn't want to cut much weight. But he's feeling the pressure to move up so I think he's preemptively trying to gain weight.

i understand the whole weight cutting process but can they actually do all tht cutting in a day or two?

Yeah, with no real difficulty.

Cutting weight is extremely different to losing weight. Losing weight involves burning off the fat stored in your body and can take months. Cutting weight is essentially just sweating all the water out of your body in order to lose 10-20lbs.

The fighters cut weight before they go for the weigh in. They weigh in at the weight they need to, and then start drinking lots of water in order to rehydrate themselves and gain the weight which they lost.

Yeah they cut out Carbs about a week before the weight ins. Carbs hold water weight and so with a lack of carbs the water should come out fairly easily. It's is dangerous though and hard on the body and will have it's negative effects in the ring.

It's kind of a give and take. You need to be a certain size to contend with the bigger guys but you don't want to sap your energy and endurance by cutting too much. GSP usually fought around 185 because he didn't want to cut much weight. But he's feeling the pressure to move up so I think he's preemptively trying to gain weight.

Bang on the money. Couldnt put it better myself. Cutting weight is much more prevalant in the UFC, a good example of someone who doesnt cut much is Akiyama.

They also do some strict dieting a couple weeks before too so that they lean out a bit. They might take 5 lbs off just that way alone, then dehydrate for the rest. It's a trial and error thing but they learn what works best for them. Guys like Rich Franklin and GSP are masters at it.

Archived