Is GSP Back at His Pre-Serra Confidence Level?

Rob_Lazarus

I personally think he is, and that's a bad thing. I know he'll probably never make the same mistake again. But against Fitch, BJ, and Alves, people were not completely counting his opponent out of the fight.

I think this might go to GSP's head. He'll more than likely still win, but I think overconfidence hurts his chances.

Thoughts?

I personally think he is' date=' and that's a bad thing. I know he'll probably never make the same mistake again. But against Fitch, BJ, and Alves, people were not completely counting his opponent out of the fight.

I think this might go to GSP's head. He'll more than likely still win, but I think overconfidence hurts his chances.

Thoughts?[/quote']

The thing you are over looking was not only was Serra a huge under dog, it was also GSP's first title defense after beating down the legend Matt Hughes. It was almost the perfect storm for an upset.

Now, GSP is much more seasoned as a Champ. He won the rubber match with Hughes, regained his belt and beat down one of the best P4P in the world and the #1 and #2 contenders. He knows what it takes to be the Champ, realizes that every 170lb in the world wants to take his belt and no matter what their ranking or how big an underdog, they are hungry and driven to do so.

I personally think he is' date=' and that's a bad thing. I know he'll probably never make the same mistake again. But against Fitch, BJ, and Alves, people were not completely counting his opponent out of the fight.

Thoughts?[/quote']

Were you living in a cave those last months?

He looks a bit nervous in the prime time show actually..

So? If you're not nervous before a fight you should seek for medical help. Even Hardy is certainly nervous for his fight what do you think?

I think it has less to do with GSP himself and more to do with the fans. Nobody is giving Hardy a chance in this fight.

People remembered the first GSP vs. Penn fight and thought Penn could take the title from GSP.

Then Alves stepped up and people thought he would be an unstoppable force.

Now with Hardy, almost everyone is simply counting him out. Saying he doesn't have what it takes to win. Whether it's true or not, I think that works to Hardy's advantage.

Were you living in a cave those last months?

So? If you're not nervous before a fight you should seek for medical help. Even Hardy is certainly nervous for his fight what do you think?

Yeah but ment the nervous thingy as an answer for that claim that he was overconfidendt wich he isn't in my mind...

I think it has less to do with GSP himself and more to do with the fans. Nobody is giving Hardy a chance in this fight.

People remembered the first GSP vs. Penn fight and thought Penn could take the title from GSP.

Then Alves stepped up and people thought he would be an unstoppable force.

Now with Hardy' date=' almost everyone is simply counting him out. Saying he doesn't have what it takes to win. Whether it's true or not, I think that works to Hardy's advantage.[/quote']

i agree it works to his advantage, doubt it will effect GSP though, he has been in there enough times to know what he has to do

same with hardy, just cause only 4 of his 30 fights have been in the UFC doesnt make him an inexperienced guy like some noobs are labelling him

whoever wins on the night bloody well deserved it thats all am gonna say!

x

i agree it works to his advantage' date=' doubt it will effect GSP though, he has been in there enough times to know what he has to do

same with hardy, just cause only 4 of his 30 fights have been in the UFC doesnt make him an inexperienced guy like some noobs are labelling him

x[/quote']

He is inexperienced fighting top level opposition the likes GSP has faced, and of GSP's caliber.

Calling people noobs with noobish statements like that doesn't make you look any smarter than them.

Say Dan Hardy does win tomorrow, but loses in his first title defence people will just say it was a fluke, just like in Serra's case.

i agree it works to his advantage' date=' doubt it will effect GSP though, he has been in there enough times to know what he has to do

x[/quote']

I think it will affect him. Not NEARLY as much as it did when he fought Serra, but the fact that so many people are counting Hardy out has got to change things a little.

He is inexperienced fighting top level opposition the likes GSP has faced' date=' and of GSP's caliber.

Calling people noobs with noobish statements like that doesn't make you look any smarter than them.

Say Dan Hardy does win tomorrow, but loses in his first title defence people will just say it was a fluke, just like in Serra's case.[/quote']

Good point. On this note, do you think GSP gets an immediate rematch if he loses? I'm sure most people will want to see that. Unless SOMEHOW Hardy wins a dominating five round decision or something (not even really worth mentioning).

Thoughts?[/quote']

He's not on the same level. He currently resides on a level where he can look down at the pedistal he was once on. He's on an even higher level than before.

I think it will affect him. Not NEARLY as much as it did when he fought Serra' date=' but the fact that so many people are counting Hardy out has got to change things a little.

Good point. [b']On this note, do you think GSP gets an immediate rematch if he loses? I'm sure most people will want to see that. Unless SOMEHOW Hardy wins a dominating five round decision or something (not even really worth mentioning).[/b]

TBH I don't think anyone deserves an immediate rematch unless it is because of something controversial (Shogun/Machida).

That being said to answer your question. IF GSP loses, No I do not think he should get an immediate rematch.

Archived