Serra Consulted Renzo before training Hardy

The_Power

mmaweekly.com

The dramatic closing scene of the first episode of UFC Primetime was one of the more powerful moments during the reality show on Spike when top welterweight contender Dan Hardy walked into Matt Serra's school and the two shook hands.

Serra was of course the last fighter to defeat Georges St-Pierre, and the build-up was perfect to show him now training the next guy who hopes to take away the Canadian's welterweight title.

The angle of Serra training with Hardy, and Serra?s mentor, Renzo Gracie, training with St-Pierre played out a little bit differently in reality than it did on the behind the scenes portrayal that made it to TV.

Serra admits that when the UFC first made the call to ask him to work with Hardy, he was hesitant.

"I got the call the day before that took place, and it was Dana asking me to do a solid. I didn?t know Hardy, I just knew him from the interviews and what not," said Serra on Friday. "I was a little on the fence with it because first of all I'm a very loyal person. I knew GSP was in the city with my instructor Renzo Gracie, that's the first thing that went through my head."

Serra made the call to his instructor and made sure that there would be no conflict if he were to work with Hardy prior to the title fight.

"I gave Renzo a call. I go, ?Dana wanted me to do him a solid.? Let me check with the troops, let me check with John Danaher, who's also a black belt out of Manhattan under Renzo. I checked with Renzo, they were fine with it, which is cool," said Serra.

Still somewhat reserved about inviting the British fighter into his camp, Serra says meeting Hardy was all it took for him to be convinced, and he became a fan instantly.

"I was still a little weird with it cause I didn't know Dan, so I was playing it by ear. He came by, I met him, cool guy and again we pretty much hit it off," Serra said.

Knowing the pressures that come along with being an underdog, and especially being an underdog facing Georges St-Pierre, Serra believes in Hardy coming into UFC 111, and the fight ahead should be something to watch.

"I'm rooting for the guy. He was a humble guy in training. He was a good dude," said the Native New Yorker. "At least when he was with me he worked his **** off."

funny that dana encouraged him to help. that's a funny script he was trying to write. serra had already picked georges to win by tko.

I was going to post it the other day when I read somewhere that the UFC encouraged Serra to help Hardy and that it wasn't out of good will.

I was going to post it the other day when I read somewhere that the UFC encouraged Serra to help Hardy and that it wasn't out of good will.

I guess they just did it for ratings. I would feel weird training a guy who fights in the same division as me. What if i want to get back into title contention. I may potentially face him.

I dont know like' date=' but did they not need somewhere in the New York vicinity?

Maia trains in Vegas does he not?[/quote']

I am not sure what the situation was exactly but it was reported that the UFC brass did encourage Serra to let Hardy use his gym/train with him.

I am not sure what the situation was exactly but it was reported that the UFC brass did encourage Serra to let Hardy use his gym/train with him.

I think Hardy got out there, couldnt find a gym, and asked Dana White to help out, It makes sense that the UFC would want Hardy to have some decent training partners, the last thing the UFC would want is Hardy to have no decent training when they are throwing him to GSP.

I think Hardy got out there' date=' couldnt find a gym, and asked Dana White to help out, It makes sense that the UFC would want Hardy to have some decent training partners, the last thing the UFC would want is Hardy to have no decent training when they are throwing him to GSP.[/quote']

If that was the case I agree. I don't mind it either I'm just saying it could have been more of a ratings ploy than anything.

If that was the case I agree. I don't mind it either I'm just saying it could have been more of a ratings ploy than anything.

Probably a bit of both. The only reason I think that is because if Hardy had sorted a gym out before flying out to New York I dont think the UFC would of got involved in his pre-fight set up.

Archived