the diaz fight a catch weight?

thetruth1012

its weird joe called it as a midle weight fight which is beyone bizzare as neither fighter was close to 185. diaz was a light weight in his last fight i thought he was moving to WW i don't know where markham fights. but it wasn't like he came in heavy no one said sh1t when he weighed in at 177 usualy something would be said about it. so it must randomly be at MW like when BJ fought machida at HW.

I think the guy who doesn't make weight gives up 10% of his purse' date=' win or lose.[/quote']

I think they give up much more than that.

If you blatantly don't even try to make weight, you should give up half your purse, because with that much weight difference, you've got a great chance to win and double yours anyway.

its weird joe called it as a midle weight fight which is beyone bizzare as neither fighter was close to 185. diaz was a light weight in his last fight i thought he was moving to WW i don't know where markham fights. but it wasn't like he came in heavy no one said sh1t when he weighed in at 177 usualy something would be said about it. so it must randomly be at MW like when BJ fought machida at HW.

Well middle weight is technically 171-185 so technically it is a middle weight fight. I got the impression that they new about the weight issue ahead of time so they changed it to keep from having to deal with the catch weight red tape.

Well middle weight is technically 171-185 so technically it is a middle weight fight. I got the impression that they new about the weight issue ahead of time so they changed it to keep from having to deal with the catch weight red tape.

no middleweight is 184-186 the only weight class that does that is HW which is 206-265

technically it is but you give up a lot of your purse if you dont make the required under/over pound

lol no he is right. MW is over 170 or 185 and under. They give you the one pound over limit in non title fights. Technically 146-155 is LW even though no 146 pounder would even fight at 145 they would cut to 135 (bowles, torres, etc). Welterweight 156-170 but obviously you are not going to see a 156 or even 165 pounder at WW or LW they will cut to 145 (Mike Brown).

So anyway with one guy weighing 177 which is a half pound from right in the middle technically its a MW catchweight bout with one fighter making welter but taking the 1 extra pound given so it can still fall in the MW range. I know it's not a legit 185 fight where the guys are coming into the fight at 205-210 but it still falls in MW range.

Archived