The Staredown

dimension33

I have noticed something the more matches and prefights I watch and the more I learn about MMA....There is a lot you can tell by a staredown. I think Diego vs BjPenn's staredown, Koscheck vs Diego's staredown...were very ominous for diego's mindset...I was curious what some more experienced fans thought of the UFC 111 staredowns...do you think the Diaz vs Rory, GSP vs Hardy. Mir vs Carwin staredowns were revealing especially in the category of a fighters mindset. Thanks in advance

funny you should say that because when GSP vs Serra I could see it in GSP's eyes in the walkout he looked like his mind wasnt all there but you watch any other of his walk out he's solid you can see the determination in him so stare down you could see something sometimes but the walkouts before the fight starts is where you really see where the fighter is at I think!! check that out though and you will see what I'm talkin bout!

the more nervous guy usually loses

The more nervous guy normally has more reason to be nervous, there is usually a better fighter out of 2 in a fight, the one that isnt as good would normally be more nervous.

I think nerves are a good thing, they highten your senses and focus you, I think being too relaxed is worse.

you can tell who is woried and nervous but it doesn't mean they will loose, but it does give you a better indication of their confidence levels than just listening to them. the best example of this was wandy V rampage 3. wandy pushed page and he just started laughing and said "your scared"

when guys are confident they usualy calmly just stare the other guy down looking focussed and mean (see GSP yesterday)

but when a fighter is scared they try to mask it by being over agressive usualy. dan hardy looked like he was about to start taunting GSP yesterday but changed his mind and started jumping around nervously. first title fight and against a huge name it looked like he crumbled under the preasure. and gave GSP a huge sichological advantage.

i saw an exceeption to my normal rule yesterday though. nate diaz was super agresive and got rite up in his oponents face. but he done it with a certain swagger and calmness rory markham looked scared after the staredown.

I have noticed something the more matches and prefights I watch and the more I learn about MMA....There is a lot you can tell by a staredown. I think Diego vs BjPenn's staredown' date=' Koscheck vs Diego's staredown...were very ominous for diego's mindset...I was curious what some more experienced fans thought of the UFC 111 staredowns...do you think the Diaz vs Rory, GSP vs Hardy. Mir vs Carwin staredowns were revealing especially in the category of a fighters mindset. Thanks in advance[/quote']

Meaningless.

Its a photo op.

Archived