Perfectionism

TheCallOfKtulu

I'm a perfectionist by nature and I'm finding that the older I get, the more this personality trait is driving me insane.

If I have a good fight, I could have fought better or landed more punches. If I have a good session in the gym, I'll then beat myself up that i could have tried to lift more or that I don't ache enough afterwards.

I'm also not just like this with martial arts or the gym.

I also constantly critique my performance be it with my band or sitting an exam. I'm never happy and whatever successes I achieve, it's never enough.

The reason for this thread is to find out if anyone else is like this. If so, do you have any tips for dealing with it, cos I feel I'm chasing perfection which in itself is unattainable.

I'm driving myself nuts with this.

I'm a perfectionist by nature and I'm finding that the older I get' date=' the more this personality trait is driving me insane.

If I have a good fight, I could have fought better or landed more punches. If I have a good session in the gym, I'll then beat myself up that i could have tried to lift more or that I don't ache enough afterwards.

I also constantly critique my performance be it with my band or sitting an exam. I'm never happy and whatever successes I achieve, it's never enough.

The reason for this thread is to find out if anyone else is like this. If so, do you have any tips for dealing with it, cos I feel I'm chasing perfection which in itself is unattainable.

I'm driving myself nuts with this.[/quote']

seems like a pretty good character flaw to have

makes you work harder

Training is not just about doing as much as you can but also knowing your limits, over training can be counter productive, so when you start to feel and think like you could do more just remember that rest is just as important for muscle and mind development and focus that energy on increasing the work load on you next practice.

I don't know your training routine so i cant comment on weather it is too light for your needs,

but what i will say is self discipline is a quality of martial arts.

perfectionist, only way to be

im a sculptor/artist (jade mainly, marble and granite and that junk occasionally)

have broken many pieces because they had a tiny invisible crack, or some junk.... (most expensive piece was about a grand...)

scream and dance, and throw against concrete wall or floor, ahhhhhhhh

but then again, i have sold every sculpture i have made. quality control

lol same way in life, i was plastering a roof in a house i did up (project for cash). i put about a inch and a half of plaster on the roof in some parts to get it flat (if you have plastered anything..... you will know that is pretty fail). had never plastered before, BUT DAMN THAT ROOF WAS SMOOTH after, lol.

I find with allot of things which i practice, developing a skill set often relies on the bodies ability to memorize movement or react on a subconscious level, these kind of skills are built over time, in my early training i used to train long periods over sparse days. this i found not to be as effective as training small period more frequently, this sharpens and builds muscle memory and reaction skills more effectively.

i find this applies to many things which i practice and i'm sure it will apply to playing a musical instrument as well as training to fight.

I'm a perfectionist by nature and I'm finding that the older I get' date=' the more this personality trait is driving me insane.

i am not sure if this is diagnosis of a perfectionist. i believe it is something else , not sure of the name tho.

a perfectionist does not think in doing more or working harder necessarily. a perfectionist is a detail addict. when training, performing, etc. they usually think ways of bettering there time, constantly tweaking every aspect of what ever they are doing. not doing more of something just better.

perfectionist also do very well in test because they usually focus on more material. when a perfectionist studies something they force themselves to learn more in depth detail of a subject.

there is more on this subject but i hoped i helped with what i wrote...

I'm extremely perfectionist when I have to write (script, short story or something like that, design and create an outfit for someone... mainly when I have to do something to someone). I'm always criticizing myself and I always think I could have done better cos everything is never good enough.

"Being a perfectionist isn't doing anything more or better, or always seek excellence, but have more emotional erroneous belief that perfection is the only path to self-acceptance. It is the belief that we will be accepted only if we are as people perfect."

I'm a perfectionist by nature and I'm finding that the older I get' date=' the more this personality trait is driving me insane. The reason for this thread is to find out if anyone else is like this. If so, do you have any tips for dealing with it, cos I feel I'm chasing perfection which in itself is unattainable. I'm driving myself nuts with this.[/quote']

Read the book of the american psychologist, Monica Ramirez Brasco > Never Enought. Freing Yourself for the Chairs of perfectionism.Or you can try this:

What to do with perfectionism

The first step in changing attitudes perfectionist is to realize that perfectionism is undesirable. Perfection is an unattainable illusion. The next step is to challenge the thoughts and behaviors that fuel self-defeating perfectionism. Some of the following strategies can help:

Have realistic goals and that can be performed always based on their own wants and needs. And taking into account everything you have in the past. This will allow you can increase your self-esteem.

Take small steps. Think of your goals in a sequential manner, but without rigidity.

Experience their standards for success. Choose an activity and instead point to 100 percent, try 90 percent, 80 percent, or even 60 percent success. This helped to realize that the world does not end when you're not perfect. And you can achieve and reach much you want, without the need to be 100% perfect.

Focus on the process of doing an activity not only in the final result. Evaluate your success not only in terms of what you accomplished but also in terms of how much you enjoyed the task. Recognize that there may be a value in the process of pursuing a goal.

Use your feelings of anxiety and depression (if you have) as opportunities to ask yourself: "Have I set impossible expectations for myself in this situation?"

Confront the fears that may be behind your perfectionism by asking yourself: "What am I afraid in this situation? What is the worst thing that could happen?"

Recognize that many positive things can only be learned by making mistakes. When you make a mistake ask, "What can I learn from this experience?" . More specifically, consider a recent mistake you made and list all the things you can learn from it.

Avoid thinking in relation to their goals. Learn to distinguish the tasks that you want to give a higher priority of those tasks that are less important to you. With regard to less important tasks, choose to put less effort from now on. Once you've tried these suggestions, you may be able to realize that perfectionism is not a useful or necessary influence in your life. There are alternative ways of thinking that are most beneficial.

Take a chance on yourself and others that are on your side; chance to rest, enjoy life, have fun.

[b']I also constantly critique my performance be it with my band or sitting an exam.[/b] I'm never happy and whatever successes I achieve, it's never enough.

I feel you, bro. I make music myself and I am never satisfied. People tell me how good I am and I tell them to **** off. My perfectionism has really helped me advance further in my music, but has also slowed me down recently. Every song I write and record isn't good enough. Even if the lyrics are, the delivery is not.

It's tough, especially for artists of any kind. It actually begins to break down your self esteem and confidence, which then effects your performance.

I am also driven to insanity by perfection.

I feel you' date=' bro.[b'] I make music myself and I am never satisfied. People tell me how good I am and I tell them to **** off. M[/b]y perfectionism has really helped me advance further in my music, but has also slowed me down recently. Every song I write and record isn't good enough. Even if the lyrics are, the delivery is not.

It's tough, especially for artists of any kind. It actually begins to break down your self esteem and confidence, which then effects your performance.

I am also driven to insanity by perfection.

lol yeah, people tell me how good you are and I tell them to **** off too :P

Archived