Sign in to follow this  
PhenominalOne

Can Demian Maia truely pull of the upset

UFC 112 main event looks excitiing, no doubt, even though everyones bummed we wont get to see Vitor/Silva fight, demian Maia still presents a serious challenge in my mind.

Im a practitioner of BJJ myself so in some ways i do see Damian pulling off an upset, But damn is that gonna be hard to pull off. As Dana put it "the best challenge to throw at Silva is someone with a nasty **** ground game, which Maia certainly posses. Im a fan of both these fighters so it is really hard for me to pick side, so ill jus leave it up to fight night, but knowin Silva, he'll probably end up knockin another fighter the **** up What do you guys think and what do you think of the other fights in the night?

When you are that great at one discipline as Maia is, there is always a chance. There are no sure things in this game.

Could it happen, yes. Do I think it will happen, nope.

i hope this fight is gonna be good.. but in my mind i might see it going like the thales leites fight.. i think andersons to evasive for maia to take him down.. but i think anderosn will try knock him out at all cost because he hasnt fought since ufc 101! and he'll wanna paw maia to sleep just like he did forrest lol

Which are still probably better than Frankie Edgar's chances :P

Of all the current, or recent title challengers who seem far below the champions respectively, Dan Hardy, Damian Maia and Frankie Edgar, Edgar possess the best chance to actually pull the upset out, and the reason for that is simple. Of the three, he possess the most well rounded skill set. He may be small, but he punches well above his weight. He has very good boxing, very good wrestling, and great submission defense. Not to mention he is simply a scrappy, non stop, exciting fighter.

Obviously Hardy fell short, and Maia and Edgar will likely do the same, but of the three, Frankie Edgar will be the one to make a fight of it.

I like Maia a lot, and would love to see an upset come, but expect another performance from Anderson Silva much like his last title defense, against someone with a better, or at least threatening ground game.

This is MMA anything can happen but it's not likely Anderson will study Maia for the first couple of minutes then he'll unleash on him and as long as Maia doesn't pull a Leitas(falling to the ground on his own)Silva will stop him in brutal fashion late in the 2nd rd.