Sign in to follow this  
Marshall498

Who is the Most Marketable fighter?

GSP has mainsteam sponsors.... so what?

Fact is fighters such as Lesnar, Bisping, Sotiropoulos etc have been marketed in a huge way in their respected markets and brought with them huge amounts of new support to the UFC.

Who outside off MMA circles is gonna be attracted to the sport by GSP with his total lack of personality and borefest fights?

P.S. Before the ****s start moaning I'm not denying the guy is a top athlete and fighter I just really dont think the guy is a very good marketing tool.

GSP has mainsteam sponsors.... so what?

Fact is fighters such as Lesnar' date=' Bisping, Sotiropoulos etc have been marketed in a huge way in their respected markets and brought with them huge amounts of new support to the UFC.

Who outside off MMA circles is gonna be attracted to the sport by GSP with his total lack of personality and borefest fights?

P.S. Before the ****s start moaning I'm not denying the guy is a top athlete and fighter I just really dont think the guy is a very good marketing tool.[/quote']

So what? Mainstream sponsors means mainstream exposure. Mainstream exposure means awareness by the millions not already aware of MMA and billions of dollars to the various organizations coming from these potential new fans. Stay in school noob.

So what? Mainstream sponsors means mainstream exposure. Mainstream exposure means awareness by the millions not already aware of MMA and billions of dollars to the various organizations coming from these potential new fans. Stay in school noob.

So GSP has sponsors in the USA and Canada where the sport is already established and he is already a household name. The likes of Bisping and Sotiropoulos open the organization up to whole continents... do the maths and tell me which fighters have/will bring in the most amount of new followers to the UFC?

So GSP has sponsors in the USA and Canada where the sport is already established and he is already a household name. The likes of Bisping and Sotiropoulos open the organization up to whole continents... do the maths and tell me which fighters have/will bring in the most amount of new followers to the UFC?

Don't try my patience! Lesnar is the biggest PPV draw with GSP a close second, these are the facts. Women are drawn to GSP and as of now are a small percentage of the MMA fan base. Did you happen to see the UFC 105 Q & A session in London? I have never heard the ovation or admiration for any fighter as was witnessed there. GSP is a huge draw for UFC fans around the world. Don't let your dislike for a fighter cloud your brain any longer. MMA must grow and the fastest and cheapest way to accomplish this is to let large consumer corporations do the work for you. GSP has the talent, the record and the look to attract these companies and is why he is the only MMA fighter currently under contract with such large sponsors not necessarily associated with MMA.

Don't try my patience! Lesnar is the biggest PPV draw with GSP a close second' date=' these are the facts. Women are drawn to GSP and as of now are a small percentage of the MMA fan base. Did you happen to see the UFC 105 Q & A session in London? I have never heard the ovation or admiration for any fighter as was witnessed there. GSP is a huge draw for UFC fans around the world. Don't let your dislike for a fighter cloud your brain any longer. MMA must grow and the fastest and cheapest way to accomplish this is to let large consumer corporations do the work for you. GSP has the talent, the record and the look to attract these companies and is why he is the only MMA fighter currently under contract with such large sponsors not necessarily associated with MMA.[/quote']

1) Ive never said I dislike GSP, not one of my fave fighters to watch but I have a lot of respect for the guy and what he has done.

2) Sure GSP has a big draw factor in the US and Canada and amongst people who are already interested in the sport, but the most important thing for the UFC to grow and ultimately make more money is to reach out to people who dont already watch its shows or currently have any kind of interest/knowledge of the sport. To do this you need to have somebody who can get people interested and seing as sports fans are generally very patriotic there is nothing like home grown talent to raise interest. This is why Bisping was so heavily marketed in the UK and Europe and the same reason sotiropoulos is having the same treatment in Australia.

Brock was/is used in the same way as he was known all around the world by pro wrestling fans and would raise interest in the UFC amongst that large group of people but GSP has nowhere near that kind of draw.

I'm not a huge fan of Lesnar and I am also not a hater of him, as a matter of fact I'm only picking Carwin over him because he hits like a train, but I'm going to have to say Lesnar... He's an interesting character who is literally larger than life, plus he has past athletic experience outside of martial arts so he brought a hell of a lot of noob fans with him.

1) Ive never said I dislike GSP' date=' not one of my fave fighters to watch but I have a lot of respect for the guy and what he has done.

2) Sure GSP has a big draw factor in the US and Canada and amongst people who are already interested in the sport, but the most important thing for the UFC to grow and ultimately make more money is to reach out to people who dont already watch its shows or currently have any kind of interest/knowledge of the sport. To do this you need to have somebody who can get people interested and seing as sports fans are generally very patriotic there is nothing like home grown talent to raise interest. This is why Bisping was so heavily marketed in the UK and Europe and the same reason sotiropoulos is having the same treatment in Australia.

Brock was/is used in the same way as he was known all around the world by pro wrestling fans and would raise interest in the UFC amongst that large group of people but GSP has nowhere near that kind of draw.[/quote']

There is nothing like home grown talent, agreed. But an Australian fighter or a British fighter who is not the undisputed champion or widely regarded as one of the 2 or 3 P4P best fighters in the world will not ultimately gain fan support in countries other than their own. I can hear it now..."I love Bisping/Hardy ect and will root for them above all else, but after them I will root for GSP". This same sentence can be repeated in every other country inserting the local favorite in place of Bisping/Hardy, but the rest of the sentence remains the same. Repeat this for every country and add up the numbers and you will see why overall GSP gains more fans. The difference between Lesnar and GSP is people tune in to see Lesnar lose, but to see GSP win.