Sign in to follow this  
Leonie

all 112 Silva vs Maia discussions go here

I cant see this fight going long because of the difference between the two on the feet and Maia's submission skills on the ground. Maia wont last two minutes with Silva on the feet so I think it could be a first round KO win for Silva. I dont think it will be a long five round fight like Silva had with Leites.

here's why I don't like silva. He could come out and embarass maia and put him away in round 1 anyway he wants. instead he will screw around and the fight will be like the leites and cote fights. silva via UD.

here's why I don't like silva. He could come out and embarass maia and put him away in round 1 anyway he wants. instead he will screw around and the fight will be like the leites and cote fights. silva via UD.

Uneducated post. One, Silva can't put Maia away using his method of choice, two, it wasn't Silva's fault Cote ended up with an injury and Leites was afraid, and three, Maia won't be like Leites, just because both of their specialty relies on BJJ. They are very different people.

In addition, Silva didn't like the fights that went to decisions in the past, I don't think he'll let it happen again if he can help it.

Uneducated post. One' date=' Silva can't put Maia away using his method of choice, two, it wasn't Silva's fault Cote ended up with an injury and Leites was afraid, and three, Maia won't be like Leites, just because both of their specialty relies on BJJ. They are very different people.

In addition, Silva didn't like the fights that went to decisions in the past, I don't think he'll let it happen again if he can help it.[/quote']

wait and see bra. maia will be very tentative and want nothing to do with silva on the feet and silva WILL NOT go after him. you're clueless if you think silva could not dispose of maia as quickly on the ground as he could on the feet also.

Yeah, Yeah ... Silva vs. Maia, Silva vs. Cote, Silva vs. Leites. I'll tune in when Gay Soares thinks Hendo or Sonnen have earned a shot at the champ.

UFC 112 : Invincible is another remarkable history in the UFC as we can the battles between :

# Middleweight Championship bout: Brazil Anderson Silva vs. Brazil Demian Maia

# Lightweight Championship bout: United States B.J. Penn © vs. United States Frankie Edgar

# Welterweight bout: United States Matt Hughes vs. Brazil Renzo Gracie.

I think in Middleweight bout : Silva win by KO in first round. I've seen most of Silva's fights and this man is very impressive in terms of speeds, accuracy, and power. He is also very talented fighter and his fight against Maia, he will get his 11 winning streak easily.

wait and see bra. maia will be very tentative and want nothing to do with silva on the feet and silva WILL NOT go after him. you're clueless if you think silva could not dispose of maia as quickly on the ground as he could on the feet also.

if the fight goes to the ground Maia has the advantage......in fact (P4P)he would dominate any other UFC fighter with his BJJ (including Penn)

Anderson wants to put on shows & show off his skills standing.....it just depends if his opponant lets him.

Silva has a very underated ground game' date=' it is very likely that Silva can dipose of him anywhere and any way he wants.[/quote']

Both of ye are very clueless if ye think that Silva has better BJJ than Maia and that he could submit Maia quickly on the ground. Maia's BJJ is the best BJJ in mma. He has a far better ground game than Silva. Your posts are uneducated and stupid.

If Maia isn't patient and pursues Silva falling into his counter striking game it will be over quickly. If Maia can be patient and force Silva to come to him he has a much better chance to score a TD and bring the fight into his area of strength.

I wonder if Maia has been practicing flying scissor heel hooks.....

One stat that is maia's favour is that silva has been submitted twice to worse submission artists than Maia! If it goes to ground silva will be in trouble. I hope it's not a marquRt style KO tho! Can't wAit!

if the fight goes to the ground Maia has the advantage......in fact (P4P)he would dominate any other UFC fighter with his BJJ (including Penn)

Anderson wants to put on shows & show off his skills standing.....it just depends if his opponant lets him.

LOL. gsp, fitch, shields. 3 WELTERWEIGHTS that would out grapple maia in a fight.

Both of ye are very clueless if ye think that Silva has better BJJ than Maia and that he could submit Maia quickly on the ground. Maia's BJJ is the best BJJ in mma. He has a far better ground game than Silva. Your posts are uneducated and stupid.

riiiight. so he has some good grappling credentials. guess what - that's not fighting. in the octagon (where it counts) he's only fought marquardt and sonnen. he probably doesn't even remember fighting marquardt and he beat sonnen before sonnen all of a sudden became an incredible fighter after one win, LOL. you see, when it comes to FIGHTING, there's more to grappling than BJJ. there's something called wrestling, which he knows nothing about. you guys are absolutly clueless if you think he's the best grappler in the UFC when it comes to FIGHTING ON THE GROUND and not competition grappling.

riiiight. so he has some good grappling credentials. guess what - that's not fighting. in the octagon (where it counts) he's only fought marquardt and sonnen. he probably doesn't even remember fighting marquardt and he beat sonnen before sonnen all of a sudden became an incredible fighter after one win' date=' LOL. you see, when it comes to FIGHTING, there's more to grappling than BJJ. there's something called wrestling, which he knows nothing about. you guys are absolutly clueless if you think he's the best grappler in the UFC when it comes to FIGHTING ON THE GROUND and not competition grappling.[/quote']

I know that fighting isnt just about grappling. Thats not what I said. I think that Silva will KO Maia but if it goes to the ground I think Maia has a big advantage and could submit Silva. In your op you said that it is clueless to think that Silva could not dispose of Maia as quickly on the ground as he could on the feet. That is very stupid and completely wrong. Maia is the best ground fighter in mma.

Maia is the best ground fighter in mma.

No he's not. that's absolutly absurd. fighting on the ground is as much about wrestling as it is BJJ when it comes to a fight. and he's only good in the 1 area.

I would not even call him the best BJJ practitioner in MMA, let alone the best ground fighter. totally ridiculous. best guy on the ground is st georges and it's not even debateable.

same BS as the leites fight, and this will go down the same way. "oh if this hits the ground silva is done" yeah right. he'll have like 30 lbs. on maia, longer limbs, more strength, better conditioning, which IMO gives him big advantage on the ground instead of what I would call equal BJJ skills.

Yeah' date=' Yeah ... Silva vs. Maia, Silva vs. Cote, Silva vs. Leites. I'll tune in when Gay Soares thinks Hendo or Sonnen have earned a shot at the champ.[/quote']

I don't get why so many out there think the Cote fight deserves to be listed with the Leites fight. How is a blown knee anything even remotely close to a Leites laying on his back for 5 rounds? Perhaps just that there was disappointment in both matches. Don't think for a second that Dana hasn't spoken to EVERY fighter about just spending their time trying to pull guard. If Maia wants this fight on the ground he's going to have to get to Anderson and get the takedown. That alone will change the fight.

No he's not. that's absolutly absurd. fighting on the ground is as much about wrestling as it is BJJ when it comes to a fight. and he's only good in the 1 area.

I would not even call him the best BJJ practitioner in MMA' date=' let alone the best ground fighter. totally ridiculous. best guy on the ground is st georges and it's not even debateable.

same BS as the leites fight, and this will go down the same way. "oh if this hits the ground silva is done" yeah right. he'll have like 30 lbs. on maia, longer limbs, more strength, better conditioning, which IMO gives him big advantage on the ground instead of what I would call equal BJJ skills.[/quote']

GSP is the best at taking a fight to the ground but hes not the best on the ground. Dan Hardy wouldnt of lasted five rounds with Maia on the ground thats for sure.

He is widely recognized as the best bjj fighter in mma. He submitted Gabriel Gonzago who is way heavier than Maia and Silva wont have a 30 pound weight advantage on Maia. To say that they have equal bjj skills is completely stupid. You obviously have no clue. Frank Mir who is one of the best bjj fighters in mma trained with Maia and afterwards he said he didnt feel like he deserved his black belt after rolling wwith Maia.

To say that Silva has a big advantage on the ground is laughable. Being a good ground fighter isnt all about size and strength and how long your limbs are. Silva's long limbs just give Maia more to grab a hold of.

GSP is the best at taking a fight to the ground but hes not the best on the ground. Dan Hardy wouldnt of lasted five rounds with Maia on the ground thats for sure.

He is widely recognized as the best bjj fighter in mma. He submitted Gabriel Gonzago who is way heavier than Maia and Silva wont have a 30 pound weight advantage on Maia. To say that they have equal bjj skills is completely stupid. You obviously have no clue. Frank Mir who is one of the best bjj fighters in mma trained with Maia and afterwards he said he didnt feel like he deserved his black belt after rolling wwith Maia.

To say that Silva has a big advantage on the ground is laughable. Being a good ground fighter isnt all about size and strength and how long your limbs are. Silva's long limbs just give Maia more to grab a hold of.

+10 good post :)

I agree with 100% of the points you addressed. But we'll see if Maia can bring this fight down to the mat. If not, no go. I know that Silva will be training his takedown defense, and it should be much better than it was in the past, now that he has had elbow surgery that allows him to straighten it again.

LOL. gsp' date=' fitch, shields. 3 WELTERWEIGHTS that would out grapple maia in a fight.[/quote']

this has to be the dumbest reply ive ever read, they could out wrestle maia but maia would easily submit any of those fighters.. dont use the word 'grapple' you obviously have no clue.. GSP couldn't even submit hardy and he had him in an armbar and a kimora, how can you say his a better grappler than maia?

yes GSP is the best on the ground. the best wrestler out there, with some of the best ground and pound and some very good BJJ. he is the most well rounded and best guy when it comes to fighting on the ground.

and I GUARENTEE silva has AT LEAST 20 lbs on maia come fight night. no kidding being a good ground fighter isn't all about size/strength/limb length. it also isn't even close to being all about BJJ either! which is what you said. maia is only good at 1 aspect of fighting on the ground! it's that simple dude. he is nowhere near the best guy on the ground in mma, that is a total joke. I'll let his performance saturday night speak for my arguement. he will look like a little boy in there.

oh and by the way....maia wouldn't last 2 rounds with dan hardy and the ground wouldn't even be a factor.

and LOL at the dude who said maia would sub GSP, fitch, or shields.

Let's face it, Maia is a one dimensional fighter going against the best all around fighter in the sport. I think the ground game will be completely irrelevant this fight.

Also, I think if Maia fought GSP then GSP wouldn't take it to the ground. He is a smart fighter and is definitely superior in the standup. I don't believe Maia has the takedowns to get Silva or GSP down at will.

Obviously you are clueless cause if you read what I said, I never said Silva is better on the ground then Maia but what I did say is that we don't see Anderson on the ground much but he has very good ground skills maybe not as good as Maia but he could put Maia away in any fashion!

riiiight. so he has some good grappling credentials. guess what - that's not fighting. in the octagon (where it counts) he's only fought marquardt and sonnen. he probably doesn't even remember fighting marquardt and he beat sonnen before sonnen all of a sudden became an incredible fighter after one win' date=' LOL. you see, when it comes to FIGHTING, there's more to grappling than BJJ. there's something called wrestling, which he knows nothing about. you guys are absolutly clueless if you think he's the best grappler in the UFC when it comes to FIGHTING ON THE GROUND and not competition grappling.[/quote']

I have to agree, there a way better grapplers in the UFC and MMA in general then Damian Maia. I will tell you what, I bet this fight doesn't even go to the ground, Maia is very confident with his stand up (a little to confident) and he is going to try and stand with Silva and get KTFO.

yes GSP is the best on the ground. the best wrestler out there' date=' with some of the best ground and pound and some very good BJJ. he is the most well rounded and best guy when it comes to fighting on the ground.

and I GUARENTEE silva has AT LEAST 20 lbs on maia come fight night. no kidding being a good ground fighter isn't all about size/strength/limb length. it also isn't even close to being all about BJJ either! which is what you said. maia is only good at 1 aspect of fighting on the ground! it's that simple dude. he is nowhere near the best guy on the ground in mma, that is a total joke. I'll let his performance saturday night speak for my arguement. he will look like a little boy in there.

oh and by the way....maia wouldn't last 2 rounds with dan hardy and the ground wouldn't even be a factor.

and LOL at the dude who said maia would sub GSP, fitch, or shields.[/quote']

You obviously have no clue on how good Maia is on the ground. And bjj is a very big part of the ground game and Maia is very good at transitions on the ground.

Your comments have been a complete joke. Its like talking to a ****in retard.

You say GSP has some of the best ground and pound. Hardy didnt have a scratch on him after five rounds with GSP on the ground. There are alot better ground and pounders than GSP.

You keep ignoring all the points that I make and you keep coming back with how good GSP is on the ground becaause of his wrestling. I said Hardy wouldnt of gone five rounds with Maia on the ground. And you say the fight wouldnt even go two rounds so the ground wouldnt matter. That is completely avoiding the question and just shows that you are just a Maia hater. I dont know if you are trolling or just plain stupid. You said in an earlier post that hes not even the best bjj fighter in mma which is rubbish. Frank Mir is probably the third best bjj fighter and hes a heavyweight and like I already said after rolling with Maia Mir said he didnt feel like he deserved his black belt anymore.

And Maia could definately submit Fitch if the fight went to the ground.

You obviously have no clue on how good Maia is on the ground. And bjj is a very big part of the ground game and Maia is very good at transitions on the ground.

You say GSP has some of the best ground and pound. Hardy didnt have a scratch on him after five rounds with GSP on the ground. There are alot better ground and pounders than GSP.

You keep ignoring all the points that I make and you keep coming back with how good GSP is on the ground becaause of his wrestling. I said Hardy wouldnt of gone five rounds with Maia on the ground. And you say the fight wouldnt even go two rounds so the ground wouldnt matter. That is completely avoiding the question and just shows that you are just a Maia hater. I dont know if you are trolling or just plain stupid. You said in an earlier post that hes not even the best bjj fighter in mma which is rubbish. Frank Mir is probably the third best bjj fighter and hes a heavyweight and like I already said after rolling with Maia Mir said he didnt feel like he deserved his black belt anymore.

I'd probz have to say Jacare and Maia are probley on the same level of bjj

GSP wasn't trying to GNP hardy. he was trying to submit him. with the exception of maybe lesnar who would need to prove it in about 10 more fights, there is no better GNP fighter than GSP. maia should be able to submit hardy on the ground. but that doesn't make him a better ground fighter than GSP. just a better submission artist, which is only ONE ASPECT of ground fighting, which you keep ignoring. and I'm an absolutly huge MIR fan, to call him the 3rd best BJJ fighter, seriously dude, just stop talking. I'm sorry you missed the evolution of this sport, but 1 dimensional doesn't cut it.

GSP wasn't trying to GNP hardy. he was trying to submit him. with the exception of maybe lesnar who would need to prove it in about 10 more fights' date=' there is no better GNP fighter than GSP. maia should be able to submit hardy on the ground. but that doesn't make him a better ground fighter than GSP. just a better submission artist, which is only ONE ASPECT of ground fighting, which you keep ignoring. and I'm an absolutly huge MIR fan, to call him the 3rd best BJJ fighter, seriously dude, just stop talking. I'm sorry you missed the evolution of this sport, but 1 dimensional doesn't cut it.[/quote']

Ya, I know. That just shows that GSP's BJJ isnt in the same league as Maia's. You keep going on about how Maia is only good in one aspect of ground fighting which is completely stupid. Just because he isnt a wrestler doesnt mean he is a one dimensional ground fighter. To say this shows your lack of knowledge about the ground game. Maia has great submissions, he has great transitions, he can move around on the ground and get top mount effortlessly and he has good sweeps, very good control and he is impossible to submit and you are downplaying the importance of submissions on the ground. You go on about how Maia is a one dimensional ground fighter and GSP isnt. So what is it about GSP that makes him so well rounded and better than Maia on the ground other than his ground and pound which was non-existent in his last fight.

okay first off everyone shut up maia's bjj is retardly good and anderson's is a ninja on his feet those are mute points now the question is who can get the fight to where they have advantage and yes I know silva has an "underated ground game" so noone needs to reply with this is one of those fights lets lock the cage door and see what happens cant wait wish I got to see it

I also think it could be a easy fight and win for Anderson ...his standup is unquestionable, his feet work is top notch and striking skills are all about creativity and unpredictable ...always find the best angle and gap on opponent guard.

Maia may have done a lot of standup work during training, but the foot game its just a thing that comes with feeling ...so anderson has a huge advantage

So Maia's chance is to take it to the ground and try to pull off a wicked submission to take it home ...but one must take in mind that anderson's guard off his back is one of the best in game. So even on the ground I dont see that many chances to Demian ...he must be really really focused and try to get Silva to make a mistake.

Anyway I dont see this to be a first round victory ...they will be feeling each other out for quite long on the first... maybe a second round KO or TKO for Silva

I think unless Maia can somehow clinch with Silva and pull guard before Silva starts throwing those devastating knees then I think Silva will KO Maia soon after Silva is done with his "feeling out his opponent" process he does every fight. Silva by KO early in the fight.