Why does no one mention the REFEREE??

jaydoggg

Seriously. Yes, Silva fought like a complete clown. But, why did the ref wait till 24 minutes in to do anything about it?!?!

Anyone else think this is a problem?

They need to train the refs and make sure that if a fighter is throwing tempur tantrums or spends any significant amount of time just refusing to engage, the ref needs to immediately step in and warn/penalize the fighter. These guys get paid ridiculous amounts of money, and we pay ridiculous amounts of money to watch them fight, the least the UFC could do is enforce the rules and make sure these guys actually fight....

Seriously. Yes' date=' Silva fought like a complete clown. But, why did the ref wait till 24 minutes in to do anything about it?!?!

They need to train the refs and make sure that if a fighter is throwing tempur tantrums or spends any significant amount of time just refusing to engage, the ref needs to immediately step in and warn/penalize the fighter. These guys get paid ridiculous amounts of money, and we pay ridiculous amounts of money to watch them fight, the least the UFC could do is enforce the rules and make sure these guys actually fight....[/quote']

I don't think there are any rules against what he did...could be wrong though.

There definitely are rules. The fighters have to engage. Just like if a they are on the ground tied up and doing nothing' date=' the ref tells them to work and if they don't then he stands them up.[/quote']

ok so if he stands them up and they don't work then what. Im pretty sure there are not any rules against Dancing. That is what Silva was doing yesterday.

I don't think there are any rules against what he did...could be wrong though.

Would be funny if there was.

Mirgliotta stood Maia up a couple times to keep the action going. Sometime around middle of the 4th rd when Silva was pulling the Houston Alexander I would have loved to see it go the other way.

OK clown, on your back. Maia get on top in the guard position...and fight.

ok so if he stands them up and they don't work then what. Im pretty sure there are not any rules against Dancing. That is what Silva was doing yesterday.

What he does then is warn the fighter to work, and after the first warning he starts deducting points. This is exactly what the ref did last night, except he waited till 24 minutes in the fight and then when Silva ignored the warning and continued dancing, the ref still didnt deduct a point.

If the ref had started this 10 minutes earlier, when he should have, Silva would have either lost the decision because he had been penalized so many points, or he would have been forced to actually fight. This is why I think the ref is really the big issue here. He had complete control to stop this from happening....

Because the ref doesn't have the authority to do anything about it really.

Dan M. really went out on a limb to try to get him to fight' date=' but I'm pretty sure he can't actually deduct a point for that.[/quote']

He definitely does have the authority to deduct a point for that. Its been done before...

What he does then is warn the fighter to work' date=' and after the first warning he starts deducting points. This is exactly what the ref did last night, except he waited till 24 minutes in the fight and then when Silva ignored the warning and continued dancing, the ref still didnt deduct a point.

If the ref had started this 10 minutes earlier, when he should have, Silva would have either lost the decision because he had been penalized so many points, or he would have been forced to actually fight. This is why I think the ref is really the big issue here. He had complete control to stop this from happening....[/quote']

Im telling you bro...It wasn't Mirgliotta. Silva and Maia both did not feel like fighting...which is sad. Anderson made it clear to Maia...Anderson kept telling Maia to fight him...over and over again...and Maia stood there. I think Damien Maia needs to find a new career in Strikeforce. When you are given the oppurtunity of a lifetime and don't even attempt to cash it in, it says a lot about your character. Personally I hope Maia gets cut soon. But that doesn't take Anderson off the hook either. Anderson is also a ***** as well....but Maia is more of one because Silva didn't have to fight to keep the strap and Maia did.

Dan M. really went out on a limb to try to get him to fight' date=' but I'm pretty sure he can't actually deduct a point for that.[/quote']

And if he doesn't have the authority, then that is the problem that I am talking about. All I'm saying is the UFC needs to train the refs (and give them the power, if need be) to penalize fighters who refuse to engage.

When?

God, I wish I could remember. I wanna say about 2 years ago, but I definitely remember some ridiculous fight when one guy just kept running everytime his opponent approached him and, after warnings, eventually the ref penalized a point....

I'm gonna try to figure out who it was fighting, pretty sure it wasn't a "big name" fight, but I'll post if I come up with it...

The ref does have the power to deduct points for not engaging, i remember at UFC 70, Arlovski v Verdum they stood for the more or less the whole fight doing nothing, Herb Dean i think it was called them in a few times and in between rounds saying that if they didnt engage he'd deduct a point from both. Sadly though I don't think he did and it was one of the most boring fights ever. I think after last night though the refs will be on the issue straight away.

humm.. I guess I stand corrected.

thanks for the info.

and yes, I'd be all for point deductions or purse deductions for fighters that refuse to do anything (for extended periods of time). It would be hard to implement though as it is very subjective.

There definitely are rules. The fighters have to engage. Just like if a they are on the ground tied up and doing nothing' date=' the ref tells them to work and if they don't then he stands them up.[/quote']

exactly otherwise you might see someone throw the first punch then run the rest of the fight to get the win. How exciting would that be! lol

Seriously. Yes' date=' Silva fought like a complete clown. But, why did the ref wait till 24 minutes in to do anything about it?!?!

They need to train the refs and make sure that if a fighter is throwing tempur tantrums or spends any significant amount of time just refusing to engage, the ref needs to immediately step in and warn/penalize the fighter. These guys get paid ridiculous amounts of money, and we pay ridiculous amounts of money to watch them fight, the least the UFC could do is enforce the rules and make sure these guys actually fight....[/quote']

I bet it was the first time he dealt with a clown like this.

The truth is, Dana can ***** all he wants to but YES there are rules and points are supposed to be deducted. Maia could of won that fight with a 10-8 and 10-8 round 4 and 5 but Dana doesn't want to tell you that because all a long he never planned on giving the belt to Maia and just wanted to give Anderson another highlight KO.

Dana is the moron not Silva....you want to put a can against him and hype it up then when it ends up being a tough and boring fight you cry...your own fault. Act more professional next time Dana...you look like a fool chucking a tantrum on live TV.

Yellow Card.

-buy the ticket. take the ride.

Agreed. The whole system was way too overused in Japan. They need to create something similar to this but they need to be a little more lenient on handing them out...I have seen them go for a takedown...wait 15 secs to try and find and opening and then absolutely maul their opponent but still receive the yellow card for stalling for 15 secs... I disagree with the yellow card in that situation...but Silva definitely deserved one.

What he does then is warn the fighter to work' date=' and after the first warning he starts deducting points. This is exactly what the ref did last night, except he waited till 24 minutes in the fight and then when Silva ignored the warning and continued dancing, the ref still didnt deduct a point.

If the ref had started this 10 minutes earlier, when he should have, Silva would have either lost the decision because he had been penalized so many points, or he would have been forced to actually fight. This is why I think the ref is really the big issue here. He had complete control to stop this from happening....[/quote']

You are absolutely right.

When?

The ref does have the authority. There was a fight between Razor Rob McCullough and someone else and they wouldn't engage and Steve Mazagatti, after several commands for them to fight, basically told them if they didn't engage he would call the fight a no-contest.

Archived