Who will Frankie Edgar defend against first?

JP24

Frank Edgar obviously won the title and now he has to defend it! Who do you think it's gonna be first? I'm thinking either Gray Maynard rematch or Kenny Florian, who deserves a shot... Maybe even Sotiropoulos if he wins enough fights.

I gotta say Kenny Florian is most likely, in which case that fight will be freaking awesome!

Frank Edgar obviously won the title and now he has to defend it! Who do you think it's gonna be first? I'm thinking either Gray Maynard rematch or Kenny Florian' date=' who deserves a shot... Maybe even Sotiropoulos if he wins enough fights.

I gotta say Kenny Florian is most likely, in which case that fight will be freaking awesome![/quote']

I agree. He should fight KenFlo. kenny has looked great since joining GJ MMA in NM. KenFlo would beat Bj now too.

So yes, Frankie vs. KenFlo!

I would match him up against Maynard first' date=' the only man that beat him (and should have actually fought Penn at 112 imo)[/quote']

Maynard is going to have to put on a better performance that he did with Daiz to get a title shot. The fact he beat Edgar 2 YEARS ago has no bearing. Is Edgar the same fighter he was 2 years ago. Probably not.

Kenflo destroyed Guida and stopped Gomi in his last 2 fights. He deserves the first crack.

It's really weird... Frankie Edgar had better striking than BJ and won, and Maynard has really good wrestling and beat Edgar, but I just cannot see Maynard comparing to BJ... BJ's takedown defense is really too good for him.

Maynard is going to have to put on a better performance that he did with Daiz to get a title shot. The fact he beat Edgar 2 YEARS ago has no bearing. Is Edgar the same fighter he was 2 years ago. Probably not.

Kenflo destroyed Guida and stopped Gomi in his last 2 fights. He deserves the first crack.

Maynard won that fight by taking Frankie down and lying on him. That was lay n pray at its purest. I think it would be a closer fight this time, purely because Frankie is sure to have improved his wrestling and takedown defense, whereas Maynard has probably been working on other aspects of his game.

It's really weird... Frankie Edgar had better striking than BJ and won' date=' and Maynard has really good wrestling and beat Edgar, but I just cannot see Maynard comparing to BJ... BJ's takedown defense is really too good for him.[/quote']

In the 2 years since Edgar and Maynard fight, who do you think has improved more Edgar or Maynard?

The Maynard in the Edgar fight is basically the same fighter now as then. Nothing in his game has improved.

think maynard deserves first shot. hes on hell of a run. ken flo has won last 2 pretty impressivly but think it'll go(all depending if bj stays lw)

edger v maynard

bj v gomi

ken flo v winner of edger maynard

bj v loser of edger maynard

bj will win belt back off whoever is champ

i feel it was obvious something wasnt right with bj in the fight against edger. edger fought the fight of his life, altough i thought bj won first 3, but am waiting to see bj's thoughts on fight. he can have no excuses but to me it seemed like a different bj out there that night, he looked nothing like the bj who destryoed sanchez, who imo is a better fighter than edger

I think Ken Flo' date='

But I think he'd end up the new ufc lw champion.[/quote']

I hate to tell you bud, but I think Kenny Florian is not among the top 2 contenders anymore. Sorry.

Kenny Florian would not win against BJ a second time, either.

I agree Maynard is not the most exciting fighter to watch, but wins are wins and he keeps putting them in the bag. You get a certain number of wins against a certain level of competition and you earn yourself a shot, like it or not. Fair is fair.

I am sure BOTH guys evolved as fighters during the last 2 years, not just Edgar.

Kenny is my favorite LW, but he had his second chance at the title very recently. There are other fighter making merits too.

Maynard won that fight by taking Frankie down and lying on him. That was lay n pray at its purest. I think it would be a closer fight this time' date=' purely because Frankie is sure to have improved his wrestling and takedown defense, whereas Maynard has probably been working on other aspects of his game.[/quote']

Actually, I hope I remember correctly, but I think Maynard beat Frankie on the feet for the first two rounds and only went for the take-downs in the third. Same as he did with Huerta. It was a while ago, seen them just once, I might be mistaken.

For all those who think that a bunch of fighters could take him, I really have to respectfully disagree... Frankie Edgar has not just gotten better, he has multiplied.. Tyson, nor KenFlo, nor Maynard can do it....

Only one who can is BJ, which I think he will get his revenge one day.

I hate to tell you bud' date=' but I think Kenny Florian is not among the top 2 contenders anymore. Sorry.[/quote']

Why not?

He's a better fighter than Maynard, Gomi, Sherk and Griffin (until he beats a top contender). You honestly think any of those guys would beat him? I know he lost to Sherk a few years ago, but that was a young Kenny vs Sean at his peak.

Why not?

He's a better fighter than Maynard' date=' Gomi, Sherk and Griffin (until he beats a top contender). You honestly think any of those guys would beat him? I know he lost to Sherk a few years ago, but that was a young Kenny vs Sean at his peak.[/quote']

Love Kenny myself, but being better on paper is not enough. Fights need to happen. I thought Penn was immensely better than Frankie and there you go...

Love Kenny myself' date=' but being better on paper is not enough. Fights need to happen. I thought Penn was immensely better than Frankie and there you go...[/quote']

I agree, but I just think that based on his last couple of performances, Kenny is the top contender at LW.

* Maynard didn't impress anyone against Diaz, and a lot of people think Diaz won that fight.

* Gomi is coming off a loss, and hasn't beaten anyone in the UFC yet.

* BJ will probably get a couple of fights before he gets another shot.

* Griffin needs to prove himself against a top contender before he gets a shot, although I do think he's talented enough to hang with the best.

* Same story with G-Sop. He's come off an impressive win over Stevenson, but I think he needs another fight before he can start thinking of a title shot.

In contrast, Kenny has finished a notoriously tough opponent in Guida, and demolished a fighter who many thought would beat him in Gomi.

I agree' date=' but I just think that based on his last couple of performances, Kenny is the top contender at LW.

* Maynard didn't impress anyone against Diaz, and a lot of people think Diaz won that fight.

* Griffin needs to prove himself against a top contender before he gets a shot, although I do think he's talented enough to hang with the best.

* Same story with G-Sop. He's come off an impressive win over Stevenson, but I think he needs another fight before he can start thinking of a title shot.

In contrast, Kenny has finished a notoriously tough opponent in Guida, and demolished a fighter who many thought would beat him in Gomi.[/quote']

I agree with you on everything. But Maynard is undefeated and has beaten the current champion convincingly in the past. I believe he has earned it. Now if I rank the LWs according to my personal preference, Florian will be higher than Maynard. I guess Im talking mostly fairness here. In any case, Kenny would be next to fight either Edgar or Maynard, no big deal.

There's only 2 options right now...Maynard and KenFlo. Either of them works for me, the Maynard match makes more sense as he deserved it even coming off the 'win' over Diaz. And Maynard has already beaten Edgar once so it's time for Edgar to make up for it...or for Maynard to prove he deserved it in the first place. As for Kenny, if he doesn't get the title shot...I'd say give him G-Sop or a rematch with Penn. And for Penn it's either Kenny or Gomi.

Or as others said...give Kenny the title shot and give Maynard to Penn so we can see what Maynard can do against TOP competition

I agree' date=' but I just think that based on his last couple of performances, Kenny is the top contender at LW.

In contrast, Kenny has finished a notoriously tough opponent in Guida, and demolished a fighter who many thought would beat him in Gomi.[/quote']

i know this might upset people but i dont have guida down as a stepping stone to a title. he's a stepping stone to the top 5 at best.

Kenny should be next in line for a shot at the title. Maynard is by far the most boring fighter I've ever had the displeasure of watching. A split decision win over Nate Diaz doesn't give you the inside track to fight for the title, but since he did indeed beat Edgar (true definition of lay and pray) there will be lobbying for him to fight for the belt next.

As for B.J., a rematch with Gomi makes the most sense.

at the end of the day whether his last performance was impressive or not maynard is unbeaten and prob deserved a shot before edger. i know we all want exciting fights but if your on a hell of a run like maynard it shouldn't matter how your fights finish. he has best record in lw now bj has been beat. it would make a mockery of ranking system if he dosnt get a shot. how can u turn around to gray and say sorry your 8 fight winning streak(not sure if its 8 fight streak but gotta be close) is not as good as someone who had 2 shots already lost both won his last 2 fights since his last shot so gonna give him another go. at the end of the day edger v maynard wont sell as many as ppv's as edger v ken flo but thats fighting.

give gray next shot and let ken flo fight griffin if griffin wins next fight. let the winner of that have next shot. give bj gomi and let bj destroy him and get his confidence back

It's really weird... Frankie Edgar had better striking than BJ and won' date=' and Maynard has really good wrestling and beat Edgar, but I just cannot see Maynard comparing to BJ... BJ's takedown defense is really too good for him.[/quote']

Weird....I thought the same thing. BJ could easily smoke Maynard, but somehow I think Maynard could take Edgar in the rematch

You must be out of your mind...

BJ didn't lose' date=' he's still the #1 LW in the world, and I'd bet any amount of money that he'd be favored over any LW in the world- including Frankie in a rematch.

So again- I don't know how you dont give BJ an immediate rematch[/quote']

Dude, did you not see the fight? BJ did not win. Judges scored it 50-45 for Frankie! Thats losing all 5 rounds.

Dude' date=' did you not see the fight? BJ did not win. Judges scored it 50-45 for Frankie! Thats losing all 5 rounds.[/quote']

that was one judge who was passed out drunk the entire fight and woke up to see Frankie raise his hands so he went with him. That fool makes Cecil Peoples look like a good judge.

Dude' date=' did you not see the fight? BJ did not win. Judges scored it 50-45 for Frankie! Thats losing all 5 rounds.[/quote']

I did watch the fight- twice, and I strongly disagree with the judges. And if you agree with the judge that scored it 50-45 for Frankie, then Im clearly wasting my time here.

Anyway, I believe BJ won, and I believe the majority of people who saw the fight would agree.

Me and the other 7 people I watched the fight with all thought BJ won, Sherdog scored it 4 rounds to 1 for BJ, and in a poll of over 18,000 people at Sherdog 56% thought BJ, to 33% for Frankie (the other 11% called it a draw)

http://sherdogblog.craveonline.com/blog/2010-04-11

I don't know how you don't give BJ an immediate rematch...

I remember at the press conference before the Diego fight, they were talking about possible opponents for Diego if he won the title. And Dana joked that after all the free title shots he's given BJ in the past, he'd have to work his **** off to get another shot if he lost.

I agree. He should fight KenFlo. kenny has looked great since joining GJ MMA in NM. KenFlo would beat Bj now too.

So yes' date=' Frankie vs. KenFlo![/quote']

Just like kenny did last time

i mean BJ was lucky to get out of that fight....

oh wait

I want to know if the bout versus Frankie was just a bad performance or if it was something else behind it. BJ has the capacity to win over Frankie, but this saturday I must admit that Frankie won..

But like many others have said, it was by a split decision in my book.. the 50-45 was just too hillarious.

I think a rematch should be made sometime soon, get BJ to fight another top contender for the the titleshot, not giving him it instantly.

Get BJ in a rematch between him and KenFlo for the top contender position and after that the winner gets a shot at Frankie and the belt.

BJ deserves to redeem himself and KenFlo has been wanting that belt badly for years and he's improved quite alot since his last titlebout against Penn, so I think KenFlo wants to redeem himsefl aswell and avenge that loss.

Frankie shouldn't be too concerned about defending his belt anytime soon..

The lightweight division just got a hell lot more interesting in my eyes, even though I am sad that BJ lost, this just makes every other fighter in that division more aware that BJ isn't invincible and that every man can be beaten with a good gameplan.

I did watch the fight- twice' date=' and I strongly disagree with the judges. And if you agree with the judge that scored it 50-45 for Frankie, then Im clearly wasting my time here.

Anyway, I believe BJ won, and I believe the majority of people who saw the fight would agree.

[b']Me and the other 7 people I watched the fight with all thought BJ won[/b], Sherdog scored it 4 rounds to 1 for BJ, and in a poll of over 18,000 people at Sherdog 56% thought BJ, to 33% for Frankie (the other 11% called it a draw)

http://sherdogblog.craveonline.com/blog/2010-04-11

That's pretty funny because, me and the other 9 people that I watched it with, all knew BJ was about to lose.

I will admit, though, that when I heard one judge had it 50-45, I thought somehow BJ had won.

I had it 48-47 for Edgar, with the 3rd round being the closest.

I think the only thing that's clear here is that there is so much widespread disagreement as to who won the fight.

Going into the fight BJ was widely being hailed as the greatest LW of all time. Then he comes in and loses a razor close fight, that is widely being debated as to whether he even lost in the first place. So having said that I don't see how BJ should have to get back in line- I think he definitely should get an immediate rematch.

Along with the 18' date='000 plus people polled???[/quote']

You said out of 18,000 people, 56% had it for BJ.

Take into account the BJ Penn Fan Club, where the bias is stronger than even the Shogun Fan Club, and that number would look a lot more like 20%.

What am I getting at? Simple. The majority of the people who responded to that, as overly biased BJ Penn fans.

I knew BJ was going to lose. I would have to be blind to see it any other way.

Archived