Do you think Dana...

Rex_Kwon_Do

...was wrong in reprimanding Silva's corner because of the lack of action during rounds? I thought one particular self made MMA analyst made an interesting point that Dana White is a promoter and in so many words needs to stay in a promoters' place or go and become president of a sideshow promotion like the WWE. In fact Dana WAS trying to effect (control) the outcome of a sanctioned professional fight by using his influence as PRESIDENT, because the fight was not going according to the way he liked. In most sports, ruling authorities would have frowned upon that and even penalized White. You can write my paychecks, but don't tell me how to do my job inside the ring. If you want to enforce more action in the ring during idle moments than institute the yellow cards like they did in Pride, otherwise stick to viewing from your ringside seat like everyone else.

For the record, I'm not one of those as upset with Silva as others, but you know what? I didn't pay to see the fight so that makes a little difference. I thought, like everyone else, Silva could have finished the fight at any time. I did began to cringe quite a bit in rds 3, 4, and 5 and in a sense I wondered if Silva was being merciful to Maia by not going all out. Let's face it, knowing what we know now, Maia had no business being in there. At no time did I ever get the impression that this guy was a threat to Silva or had a do or die attitude. i think people are giving him a little more credit than what he deserves with the few flurries he had in the last round...that should have been his attitude in the beginning. Silva is simply bored with the competition, which is really neither his or Dana's fault. There's never been a great amount of talent at 185 at anytime no matter what organization you look at.

As for Penn and Edgar...Really disappointed in the outcome of that fight. I told my friend at the beginning of the fight that it was going to be a long night for Frankie. Much to Frankies credit he proved me wrong. I certainly don't believe he "took" the belt by any means. I just kept waiting for Penn to explode on him and it never happened. What I was telling my friend by the end of the fight was " I don't see how Edgar could lose this fight". I was hoping it would be a draw, because I'm an old school guy and would have liked to have seen the victory be far more decisive, but i wasn't at all surprised by the verdict. I don't like Edgars' style as a champion. He's a good fighter, but he's not finishing top level competition with that style of his. He's not exceptionally good in any particular area just really well rounded. When a person wins a decision like that it seems flukish to me, much like when Griffin beat Rampage. The next challenger to Edgar should end up proving that (whether it's Maynard or Florian) just like Evans did with Griffin.

What exactly did Dana say to Ed before he left ringside Rex?....

he gave him the belt and said YOU put it on him. then he left

ok now....

was dana right? yes 10000000000%

ok so anderson is bored of his competition...well you know what if maia was such a can to him, knock him out in 10 seconds and leave.

i let AS off the hook for the leites fight...that was leites fault, flopping to his back every time AS came close.

Maia tried to engage, he came to fight. AS just decided to make it a mockery, to insult maia, and to show his disdain. as a pro, you OWE it to us, the fans who pay your friggin salary, to put in an honest effort. it doesnt impress me that he toyed with maia. wow big deal. put him away if hes such an easy opponent

if i was dana i would have ripped him a new *******, and hed be fighting in a show very soon, on spike, for free.

I completely agree with your comments about Dana White, His Ego is getting to big for his job. He is the Prsident of the UFC, but is starting to act like he is Lou Albano. If he really wants Anderson Silva to knock somebody out in 30 seconds to sell tickets then he should get in the ring with Silva. It would sell a ton of Paper View, since that's all he cares about., Oh and of course Chuck Lidell. I honestly thought Dana White had more respect for the sport than to insult his Champion fighter the way he has. To say he ran around the ring like a "****", for 5 rounds is just wrong. Has Dana been hanging out with Rowdy Roddy Piper????!!!!:confused:

Dana White knows that he plays the game just like boxing, people want to see MAyweather Pacqua, but instead we get Maywheather Mosley. Just like UFC fans want to see SILVA vs GSP, or BJ, or Machida.. But hes gonna wait until he has squeezed as much money as possible out of Silva and GSP before he makes that fight happen.

Hey Mr. White you want a better fight? call GSP, or yourself !!! I would pay $200, pay per view to see that one,,..

he gave him the belt and said YOU put it on him. then he left

ok now....

was dana right? yes 10000000000%

ok so anderson is bored of his competition...well you know what if maia was such a can to him' date=' knock him out in 10 seconds and leave.

i let AS off the hook for the leites fight...that was leites fault, flopping to his back every time AS came close.

[b']Maia tried to engage, he came to fight.[/b] AS just decided to make it a mockery, to insult maia, and to show his disdain. as a pro, you OWE it to us, the fans who pay your friggin salary, to put in an honest effort. it doesnt impress me that he toyed with maia. wow big deal. put him away if hes such an easy opponent

if i was dana i would have ripped him a new *******, and hed be fighting in a show very soon, on spike, for free.

Actually I would have to say the opposite concerning the first bold outline. If I'm not mistaken Maia landed no strikes whatsoever in the first two rounds. He never even faked jabs and punches to go in for a takedown. I think this is what discourages A.S. that no one wants to take the fight to him. This was MAIA's golden opportunity and he was very apprehensive. When he got hit you'll see him more often than not falling to his back like LEITES did also.

It's everyone's hope that he will be seen free on Spike in his next fight, but to see you suggest that means that even if his next fight ends up on a PPV you'll still pay to see it ;), because you want to see him again.

I am not under any impression. I am simply wondering what quote of what Dana said to Anderson's corner are you basing this post on?

I'm under the impression that Dana went to Silva's corner and said something? For what????? Is it his business what goes on in Silva's corner as long as it's nothing illegal??? I think not. What business does he have there than? I've been watching UFC fights for awhile and HAVE NEVER SEEN OR HEARD DANA do anything like that before during a fight (whether it was free, PPV, or doing the TUF shows). We both know he got up and said or did something?? Do you think it was positive or negative??? A straight answer is requested. If you say negative end of discussion.

I wasn't crazy about that fight either but there's nothing in it that would justify the tantrum thrown by Dana at the press conference.

And come on, regardless of all the bs that's been said, Silva will continue to sell loads of tickets and to give the UFC a lot of money.

I think what the reprimanded was about was the showboating and well acting like a j@ck@****.

He is a champion. He needs to act like it. Not be a ****nozzle. I was more upset about the disrespect then him running around like he trained with Alexander Houston for this fight. I think that was what Dana was more upset about then anything else.

If he's that bored it's time to abandon the belt and bump up to LHW permanently. If he clears that out move up to Heavyweight. By that time it would be time for him to retire anyways.

The bored excuse really doesn't work with me. He could fix that if he wanted to.

I'm under the impression that Dana went to Silva's corner and said something? For what????? Is it his business what goes on in Silva's corner as long as it's nothing illegal??? I think not. What business does he have there than? I've been watching UFC fights for awhile and HAVE NEVER SEEN OR HEARD DANA do anything like that before during a fight (whether it was free' date=' PPV, or doing the TUF shows). We both know he got up and said or did something?? Do you think it was positive or negative??? A straight answer is requested. If you say negative end of discussion.[/quote']

Rex, there is no quote of what Dana said to Ed, it is simply speculation and based on the fact that Dana said in the post fight press conference that he walked up to Ed and told him "to put the belt on him himself". There is no other mention that he criticized his corner whatsoever.

...was wrong in reprimanding Silva's corner because of the lack of action during rounds? I thought one particular self made MMA analyst made an interesting point that Dana White is a promoter and in so many words needs to stay in a promoters' place or go and become president of a sideshow promotion like the WWE. In fact Dana WAS trying to effect (control) the outcome of a sanctioned professional fight by using his influence as PRESIDENT' date=' because the fight was not going according to the way he liked. In most sports, ruling authorities would have frowned upon that and even penalized White. You can write my paychecks, but don't tell me how to do my job inside the ring. If you want to enforce more action in the ring during idle moments than institute the yellow cards like they did in Pride, otherwise stick to viewing from your ringside seat like everyone else.

For the record, I'm not one of those as upset with Silva as others, but you know what? I didn't pay to see the fight so that makes a little difference. I thought, like everyone else, Silva could have finished the fight at any time. I did began to cringe quite a bit in rds 3, 4, and 5 and in a sense I wondered if Silva was being merciful to Maia by not going all out. Let's face it, knowing what we know now, Maia had no business being in there. At no time did I ever get the impression that this guy was a threat to Silva or had a do or die attitude. i think people are giving him a little more credit than what he deserves with the few flurries he had in the last round...that should have been his attitude in the beginning. Silva is simply bored with the competition, which is really neither his or Dana's fault. There's never been a great amount of talent at 185 at anytime no matter what organization you look at.

As for Penn and Edgar...Really disappointed in the outcome of that fight. I told my friend at the beginning of the fight that it was going to be a long night for Frankie. Much to Frankies credit he proved me wrong. I certainly don't believe he "took" the belt by any means. I just kept waiting for Penn to explode on him and it never happened. What I was telling my friend by the end of the fight was " I don't see how Edgar could lose this fight". I was hoping it would be a draw, because I'm an old school guy and would have liked to have seen the victory be far more decisive, but i wasn't at all surprised by the verdict. I don't like Edgars' style as a champion. He's a good fighter, but he's not finishing top level competition with that style of his. He's not exceptionally good in any particular area just really well rounded. When a person wins a decision like that it seems flukish to me, much like when Griffin beat Rampage. The next challenger to Edgar should end up proving that (whether it's Maynard or Florian) just like Evans did with Griffin.[/quote']

I think the problem that most people have with Silva during this fight was it was the most apathetic, obvious, fighting-for-a-points-victory style performance I have EVER seen by a so-called "champion".

The latter rounds of this fight were an absolute joke; it was embarrasing to watch, much less be a part of.

After Silva had gotten ahead on points, he deliberately decided not to engage, and was literally RUNNING AWAY during the last minute and a half of the "fight".

I used to be a HUGE fan of Anderson, but he has lost all of my respect and admiration until he starts actually FIGHTING again.

People say GSP is boring, but at least he isn't painful to watch.

Rex' date=' there is no quote of what Dana said to Ed, it is simply speculation and based on the fact that Dana said in the post fight press conference that he walked up to Ed and told him "to put the belt on him himself". There is no other mention that he criticized his corner whatsoever.[/quote']

There is no other mention only because he won't elaborate further and because more than likely we wont hear from Soares or anyone else in Silva's camp what all was said. It's all speculation, but the fact is it happened. If Dana does anything during a fight in respect to anyone's corner, whether he says something or not, that sends a message (handing a belt to a corner in the fourth round is indeed sending a message...anyone who believes differently is naive) that could possibly change the outcome of a fight it's wrong.

I'm under the impression that Dana went to Silva's corner and said something? For what????? Is it his business what goes on in Silva's corner as long as it's nothing illegal??? I think not. What business does he have there than? I've been watching UFC fights for awhile and HAVE NEVER SEEN OR HEARD DANA do anything like that before during a fight (whether it was free' date=' PPV, or doing the TUF shows). We both know he got up and said or did something?? Do you think it was positive or negative??? A straight answer is requested. If you say negative end of discussion.[/quote']

Dana stated himself in the post-fight press conference that he went up to Ed Soares and told him he could put the belt around Silva's waste and walked away.

he wasn't impressed with Silva's show boating and not actually proving he is the best p4p by getting rid of Maia in the first 2 rounds as he should have.

watch the post fight press conference and you'll get your answers

IMO AS wants to fight GSP and Dana is protecting GSP from a super fight with AS. None of this would be going on if Dana would let them fight or at least give AS someone that will fight him and not be scared. Silva shouldn't take all the blame for this fight, I mean he drop his hands, pounded on the mat, put his hands on his side, and all Maia did was stand there looking confused. If someone is taking you for a joke like that, then you gotta take the fight to him and show him that you're not a easy push over. Since Maia didn't do anything while Silva was taunting him and dropping his hands; I repeat AS was DROPPING HIS HANDS DARING MAIA TO TRY AND TAKE HIS BELT. All maia did was stand there, COME ON MAN! Maia didn't deserve to be there if he wasn't going to try to hit a man that has his hands at his side; I mean Maia is suppose to be a TOP LEVEL MMA fighter and he let AS stand there with his hands on his side! WOW!!!!

The fact is,Dana is going to find it hard to sell tickets or PPVs with Silva on the card if that is the way he is going to perform.I don't care if its standing or on the ground I want to see a fighter put his heart into it.How many fighters are in the UFC that have endeared themselves to fans out of the pure heart they put into their fights.

Dana stated himself in the post-fight press conference that he went up to Ed Soares and told him he could put the belt around Silva's waste and walked away.

he wasn't impressed with Silva's show boating and not actually proving he is the best p4p by getting rid of Maia in the first 2 rounds as he should have.

watch the post fight press conference and you'll get your answers

Post fight press conference couldn't possibly tell us all that transpired when Dana went over to SIlva's corner because of one simple fact...we've only heard Dana's comments on what he said and no one from SIlva's corner...so no you don't get all the answers since we only heard one side of the story (anyone read or see what Soares said Dana said to him?? Please post). If someone from Silva's corner would confirm than yes we could alleviate any speculation...regardless it looks tacky what Dana did' date=' even somewhat on the same level as the former [b']ELITEXC President Jared Shaw [/b]running up to ringside while Kimbo Slice was being knocked out to scream at the referee that Kimbo had been hit illegally.

How can we judge if we don't know what was said.

If what Dana said in the press conference is correct then he didn't reprimand the cornor so not really an issue as you are making it out to be.

His actions alone speak volumes not just anything that was said. I've alluded to that many a time if you were paying attention. There's time and a place for everything. He waited until Lesnar got back into the locker room to speak his mind about how disrespectful Lesnar was to sponsors and the rest of the verbiage he used. The same could have been handled here the same way. What i'm saying is it looks unprofessional and of course arouses questions when you do stuff like that during the fight? He was out of place doing it at that moment in time, forget about what was said, but it just adds to my point. Fighters are meant to be seen and taken note of not the promoters.

Dana has poured his heart and soul not to mention his life savings into building the UFC from the ground up and this punk AS thinks he can just make a mockery of his organization, not to mention Abu Dahbi could have been a huge cash crop for Dana but after that showing who knows if theres any interest left there. I would have refused to put the belt on him to if he made a joke of my lifes work.

I agree that Dana has put his heart and soul into the UFC and I respect him as a promoter, entrepeneur, and leader, however, I think he should have repremanded AS in private and not during the match. The businessman was absolutely correct, but the leader didn't set a good example for boss/employee relations by showing his disapproval by saying you put the belt on him in the fourth round. If it had been after the fight and not where the fans can see it occurring then that would have been different. I like Dana too much for this to sway my opinion of him, but let's face it the whole situation sucked rocks in general. The fighters signed on to fight not showboat or demonstrate more fear than respect for AS.

Archived