In defense of Silva

viewer1

Why is everyone so upset and angry at Anderson Silva? He humiliated and obliterated his

opponent for the first three rounds! If he wants to back off and let Maia bleed out for

the last two rounds, that is his right as world champion. You might not like it, but it

is his job to conserve his ability to retain his championship belt, its not like he broke some rule.

Maybe you should start placing the blame on these unworthy opponents that

Dana keeps putting in the ring with him.

Maia early in the fight wanted no part of Silva. If he did, he wouldn't have let Silva

Flaunt his body all defenselessly. Then in the last round, all of a sudden out of

nowhere Maia starts to pretend that he actually wants to fight. However if this were

true, wouldn't he have chased him down, instead of letting him backpedal and buy time. I

thought he was there to take away Anderson's championship belt, not act petrified at the

sight of a dancing champ.

In any other fight the guy backing up, is usually the guy getting beat up.But since this

is Anderson Silva nobody wants to to chase him down and bang with him. So how can you blame him for that?

It is Anderson's opponents who do not possess the drive or skill,

the determination or will, to go in there and take that mans belt away from him. Maia

might have thought that he did before the fight, but during Anderson’s dancing and

parading it was obvious that it was not so.

Another person who deserves some of this hostility is Dana White. Why does he insist on

putting in guys who don’t really want it. We all know that Anderson isn’t the one picking these guys, so we shouldn’t blame him for their lack of motivation. Those who want his belt do not have the luxury of deciding who should be more aggressive, that pleasure is reserved for champions. Maybe one day Dana will find a man who does not have a deep

seeded fear of Silva, and maybe one day that man will take his belt.

So, if you don’t like how he won the fight, maybe you should get in there and try to take

his belt.

First off, I hate all this BS of 'unworthy opponents'. You treat everyone the same. That's what respect is all about. I don't fu***** care if they throw in an 18 year old amateur, if you can dispose of him, dispose of him, no need to be a damn diva.

And this whole aggression is reserved for champions? No. The belt is up for grabs each and every fight, the champ has to prove himself worthy of his title. You can't just coast. Silva said this exact thing before, yet he goes and does this, it's ridiculous.

"Maybe you should start placing the blame on these unworthy opponents that

Dana keeps putting in the ring with him."

You treat every opponent with the same level of respect. No showboating just cause you know you can get away with it, just go in there and ****ing fight like you came to do. Ultimate Fighting Championship.

And Maia wasn't coasting, you can only coast if you're on the winning side. Maia was losing and every second that he wasn't doing much, it looked worse for him. Silva was coasting with all the dancing and running and taunting, instead of engaging. He doesn't have to worry about what his opponent is or isn't doing, he should only worry about himself.

It's not a "take the belt away from the champion" type of deal. You have to think of it like your fighting for an abandonded title everytime. And for this night, Maia was the only guy available who was at or near the top. Vitor and Chael were out, and Maia just came off a victory, Mardquart a loss. And don't come at me with an excuse about Silva waiting or fighting elsewhere, cause he is the MW champ, and needs to defend, not go off and venture elsewhere. If he wants to do that, then he should surrender his title and go wherever he chooses.

Oh its ok for maia to think about himself but not for Silva? And it is "that type of deal" the title was never abandoned it was always silvas.

sounds like your'e just a hypocrite who's **** for maia. You are a part of what rogan calls the meathead factor.

Meathead factor? AHAHAHAHA

Get real kid.

I was implying from the beginning that Silva should think about himself and what he is gonna do, no matter who he is fighting.

God damn you have no comprehension skills whatsoever. And here, I'll find you Anderson's quote. But before I do, I'll say this, it's not Mortal Kombat where the king is to be dethroned. It's a sport where it starts off even everytime, and if I the challenger score even just one more point than you, I still scored more points than you, and I beat you.

I'm not sure why people are getting crazy about this. Silva didn't want any part of Maia's Ground Game - and Maia didn't want part of Silva's stand up. Neither of the two wanted to engage the other one in his (the opponent's) game.

The only difference is, Silva was doing the show-boating. Maia was waiting patiently. They both had similar game plans. And they both stuck to the gameplan.

What Anderson did last night is not MMA. If I wanted to watch the WWE, I would. Lesnar pulled a bit of the WWE stuff with his statements after UFC 100, and Silva turned it into some sort of acting display last night. If he is that good, he should have finished it early...period. Enough with the damn show boating.

You guys all. have good points. No need to argue though. This is just discussion. Save the heat for the mat.

I really didn't like the show of disrespect by Silva. However I don't think he intended to be that way. It just happened. Who knows why. You can't take away the amount of talent he has. Before he got carried away, Maia couldn't touch him. At first i was like, wow, i can't believe how good he is.

Once he got carried away, i got mad at his antics. He does what he has to to win, but he got carried away for sure. Maia should've been more proactive, but once your in there everything changes.

The other problem is fans complain no matter what they do. Maybe he was just trying to put on a show for the fans but did it in the wrong way. This may sound crazy, but i almost believe by the end of the third round, Silva realized how bad he was humiliating Maia and felt bad. Maybe thats why he didn't hurt Maia the last two rounds, or maybe he was just coasting to victory at that point. Seen it before in him and Machida. They do train together. I dunno. He definitley shouldve stayed in and fight the whole time to be fair to the opponent.

Bottom line: Respect should be maintained at all times. Adrenaline takes over but try to maintain respect. Have fun, fight hard and respect your opponent. While seeing knockout and blood is entertaining, i would rather see the true skills of these guys. It definitely isnt easy by any means.

I'm not sure why people are getting crazy about this. Silva didn't want any part of Maia's Ground Game - and Maia didn't want part of Silva's stand up. Neither of the two wanted to engage the other one in his (the opponent's) game.

The only difference is' date=' Silva was doing the show-boating. Maia was waiting patiently. They both had similar game plans. And they both stuck to the gameplan.[/quote']

Except the last few rounds Maia with no striking game was engagin in a striking game and Anderson still back peddled.

Besides the showboating, Anderson after rd2 did not want to engage on the ground or in striking. He turned into a coward.

Nobody would say **** to him if he backed away from the ground game but continued to press the striking, but the fact that one of the best strikers in MMA and one of the best p4p fighters was back peddling for multiple rounds against a guy with weak striking is ridiculous.

Maia was stalking Silva, does that make any sense. It would be like Cro Cop back peddling from John Fitch. and worrying about his ground game.

Maia pressed the fight and continued to throw his arms up in the air in disgust as Silva ran away from him.

I will give Silva all the credit in the world, he beat Maia the first two rounds easily, but he turned into an egomaniac cowered for the rest of the match. I would not be afraid to go toe to toe with Anderson if he fought like that against me.

" I still scored more points than you, and I beat you." thats exactly what silva did. maia doesn't have the luxury of waiting patiently, he was never winning and was never champ, Anderson was and is. you are a hypocrite who has a girly crush on maia. you make no sense whatsoever

I think Silva has a great amount of respect for everyone outside the ring. However when the bell rings and they touch gloves, he can show as much disrespect and disdain as possible. fighting is a physical and mental game.

And if he was being a coward, why didn't maia attack and why is there no blame on him for being a crappy fighter.

1 - Silver is a counter puncher, Maia knew this your an idiot if you thought Maia should just wlak in there and play right into Silva's game.

2 - Silva knew his stand up was better and could have engaged at any time, but refused to and instead ran around the ring.

3 - That was an absolute BS thing to disrespect your opponent like that. Also not his first time doing this BUT THE 3RD TIME HE DOES THIS (Cote,Leites,Maia).

4 - Blame Dana for the opponents? Are you an idiot? SILVA BASICALLY HAND PICKED HIS OPPONENTS BECAUSE HE REFUSED TO FIGHT HENDO AND MARQUARDT and then got lucky Belfort got injured.

5 - SILVA was the one that said Maia deserved the shot and that it would be an interesting match up and one "people" (don't know where he got that) wanted to see.

Before you go sprouting your mouth off next time, take some time to learn some things and take your head out of your rear end to see things logically.

I think Silva has a great amount of respect for everyone outside the ring. However when the bell rings and they touch gloves' date=' he can show as much disrespect and disdain as possible. fighting is a physical and mental game.[/quote']

Statements like this will turn the UFC into the WWE. Turn in the MMA part for acting lessons.

Yes, but Silva coasted, fully knowing that he could have ended the fight at anytime, but instead chose to play DDR inside the cage. I'm not even looking at Maia for this crap, I'm not saying he didn't do anything wrong, cause he did, but when you're the champ, and you're as good as Silva, there is no excuse to do what he did.

It was fully expected that Maia wouldn't do much in the stand up, and was fully expected for him to lose if stood there, which he did. But it wasn't expected that Silva would just look like a fool in the octagon and not press the action like he could have.

I think Silva has a great amount of respect for everyone outside the ring. However when the bell rings and they touch gloves' date=' he can show as much disrespect and disdain as possible. fighting is a physical and mental game.

And if he was being a coward, why didn't maia attack and why is there no blame on him for being a crappy fighter.[/quote']

And no, the octagon is the last place to show disrespect like Silva did. You let your fighting do all the talking, leave the high school drama BS outta it, be a man, me mature, KO the guy if you think you can.

yeah you're right.. I mean people are all pissed because Silva didn't bring it up as they wanted.. When they see silva they want something spectacular to happen. Ye, silva could have finished the fight and didn't and it was boring.

The thing is that Maia didn't do much either. People say he showed heart.. For what? for standing there? I mean it's not like he had much ch oice did he? You think he'd just walk away from the fight? And his lil 1 min brawl at the end sure was cool but it was too lil too late. I mean come on you've been standing there hands up staring at the champ dancing around for 4 rounds not even daring to do anything. I like his class and respect, but lets be honnest, Maia did nothing at all in this fight and wasn't more active than Silva over all.

But it seems we tend to forgive that lack of action because we all know he was outclassed and he was just UNABLE to do anything.. Even if he tried I mean.. everytime he did it was an epic fail. He was unable to do a single takedown.. wow! So if we're going to forgive his lack of motivation because he was obviously outclassed, then he certainly WAS an unworthy contender.

yeah you're right.. I mean people are all pissed because Silva didn't bring it up as they wanted.. When they see silva they want something spectacular to happen. Ye' date=' silva could have finished the fight and didn't and it was boring.

The thing is that Maia didn't do much either. People say he showed heart.. For what? for standing there? I mean it's not like he had much ch oice did he? You think he'd just walk away from the fight? And his lil 1 min brawl at the end sure was cool but it was too lil too late. I mean come on you've been standing there hands up staring at the champ dancing around for 4 rounds not even daring to do anything. I like his class and respect, but lets be honnest, Maia did nothing at all in this fight and wasn't more active than Silva over all.

But it seems we tend to forgive that lack of action because we all know he was outclassed and he was just UNABLE to do anything.. Even if he tried I mean.. everytime he did it was an epic fail. He was unable to do a single takedown.. wow! So if we're going to forgive his lack of motivation because he was obviously outclassed, then he certainly WAS an unworthy contender.[/quote']

People aren't saying much about Maia's lack of serious action cause we know he got what he deserved in terms of results, a loss. It's mostly just shi** on Silva's end for his actions. Even if Maia wasn't outclassed and did stand a bigger chance, if he still didn't do much, he gets the loss, and rightfully so. But there is still absolutly NO REASON at all to act like a clown.

1 - Silver is a counter puncher, Maia knew this your an idiot if you thought Maia should just wlak in there and play right into Silva's game. well you cant just stand there when he is winning!

2 - Silva knew his stand up was better and could have engaged at any time, but refused to and instead ran around the ring.only after securing 3 rounds (enough to win)after that the ball is in maia's court

i3 - That was an absolute BS thing to disrespect your opponent like that. Also not his first time doing this BUT THE 3RD TIME HE DOES THIS (Cote,Leites,Maia).there is no rule that says he has to be nice and show respect when he is fighting. thats for outside the ring

4 - Blame Dana for the opponents? Are you an idiot? SILVA BASICALLY HAND PICKED HIS OPPONENTS BECAUSE HE REFUSED TO FIGHT HENDO AND MARQUARDT and then got lucky Belfort got injured. wrong. but either way maia wasn't up for it

5 - SILVA was the one that said Maia deserved the shot and that it would be an interesting match up and one "people" (don't know where he got that) wanted to see. Maybe he thought maia was better than what he really was.

1 - Silver is a counter puncher' date=' Maia knew this your an idiot if you thought Maia should just wlak in there and play right into Silva's game.

2 - Silva knew his stand up was better and could have engaged at any time, but refused to and instead ran around the ring.

3 - That was an absolute BS thing to disrespect your opponent like that. Also not his first time doing this BUT THE 3RD TIME HE DOES THIS (Cote,Leites,Maia).

4 - Blame Dana for the opponents? Are you an idiot? SILVA BASICALLY HAND PICKED HIS OPPONENTS BECAUSE HE REFUSED TO FIGHT HENDO AND MARQUARDT and then got lucky Belfort got injured.

5 - SILVA was the one that said Maia deserved the shot and that it would be an interesting match up and one "people" (don't know where he got that) wanted to see.

Before you go sprouting your mouth off next time, take some time to learn some things and take your head out of your rear end to see things logically.[/quote']

Great post, glad to see some people around here that still have a clue.

1 - Silver is a counter puncher' date=' Maia knew this your an idiot if you thought Maia should just wlak in there and play right into Silva's game. [b']well you cant just stand there when he is winning![/b]

2 - Silva knew his stand up was better and could have engaged at any time, but refused to and instead ran around the ring.only after securing 3 rounds (enough to win)after that the ball is in maia's court

i3 - That was an absolute BS thing to disrespect your opponent like that. Also not his first time doing this BUT THE 3RD TIME HE DOES THIS (Cote,Leites,Maia).

4 - Blame Dana for the opponents? Are you an idiot? SILVA BASICALLY HAND PICKED HIS OPPONENTS BECAUSE HE REFUSED TO FIGHT HENDO AND MARQUARDT and then got lucky Belfort got injured. wrong. but either way maia wasn't up for it

5 - SILVA was the one that said Maia deserved the shot and that it would be an interesting match up and one "people" (don't know where he got that) wanted to see. Maybe he thought maia was better than what he really was.

Well, he can just stand there if Silva is winning, but then he shouldn't expect a win. I'll say it until the day I die, it's no excuse for Silva to coast and do nothing, he should still have pushed the pace or ended the fight like everyone in the world knows he could have. I'm not trying to take away from Silva's win or saying that he didn't win, I don't care for the results that go in the record books.

yeah you're right.. I mean people are all pissed because Silva didn't bring it up as they wanted.. When they see silva they want something spectacular to happen. Ye' date=' silva could have finished the fight and didn't and it was boring.

But it seems we tend to forgive that lack of action because we all know he was outclassed and he was just UNABLE to do anything.. Even if he tried I mean.. everytime he did it was an epic fail. He was unable to do a single takedown.. wow! So if we're going to forgive his lack of motivation because he was obviously outclassed, then he certainly WAS an unworthy contender.[/quote']

1st read dmtl's post above. 2nd learn some more about mma. Anderson is one of if not the best striker in mma. Mia is not a striker. You want him to what go charging into a guy with a gigantic reach advantage who is also a way better striker? Anderson silva didnt engage and spent all that time taunting for a reason. He didnt want to put himself in the position to get taken down, because had he been taken down with two or more minutes on the clock he loses his belt. Now thats my opinion but the point behind it is sound. So what ever was mr im always bored in the ring anderson silva to do if he wasnt gonna consistantly engage mia? oh ya run around like the disrespectful drama queen that he is, and then have the gall to say that mia was being disrespectful. The reason people are not talkin bad about mia is because there is nothing bad to say man. He tried to strike with a batter striker who whouldnt strike with him. He tried to take silva down but its kind of hard when the guy is constantly running around / away from you.

"Silva was running away from Maia!!!!! Maia was CLEARLY not the problem."

You cant "run away" inside a cage. like I said anyone else and they would have been chased down, but since its Silva, its ok if the other guy doesn't want to risk it.

B.S.

Why should a man who is already champ have to prove anything. remember you idiots he is the champ.

If he wants to dance and sing to win fights, thats his choice. And if the other guy wants to let him, well that is his choice.

You cant "run away" inside a cage. like I said anyone else and they would have been chased down' date=' but since its Silva, its ok if the other guy doesn't want to risk it.

B.S.[/quote']

Sorry kiddo, but the cage is not a ring. It is not easy to pin someone into a corner.

Silva was a coward and would not engage someone in his own game. He got scared of striking with Maia.

Who in the hell in any weight class would be afraid to strike with Maia and back peddle like he did.

Sorry kiddo' date=' but the cage is not a ring. It is not easy to pin someone into a corner.

Silva was a coward and would not engage someone in his own game. He got scared of striking with Maia.

Who in the hell in any weight class would be afraid to strike with Maia and back peddle like he did.[/quote']

You are wrong, it is impossible to run away from someone who is chasing you in an octagon or a ring, or a cage.

I mean what fight were you guys watching? Maia had like 1 little combo, I would hardly call that a desire to stand up and bang..

A champion can fight how he wants, he earned that right when he became champ like it or not.

A contender has to figure out how to beat him, and letting him destroy you for 15 min and then taking it easy aint gonna cut it.

You cant "run away" inside a cage. like I said anyone else and they would have been chased down' date=' but since its Silva, its ok if the other guy doesn't want to risk it.

B.S.

[b']Why should a man who is already champ have to prove anything. remember you idiots he is the champ.[/b]

If he wants to dance and sing to win fights, thats his choice. And if the other guy wants to let him, well that is his choice.

I think you're part of the meathead factor, lmao.

I'll leave it at that

I enjoyed the fight. I thought it was funny how foolish Silva was making Maia look. And if Silva didn't do anything then who gave Maia the Jon Fitch face?

People complaining about his showboating reminds me of the Patriots a few years ago when they were "Running up the score" and going for it on 4th down when they didn't need to. And I agree with what Shannon Sharpe and a few others said, if you don't want the Patriots running up the score on you stop them on. If you don't want Silva making you look foolish, stop him.

I enjoyed the fight. I thought it was funny how foolish Silva was making Maia look. And if Silva didn't do anything then who gave Maia the Jon Fitch face?

People complaining about his showboating reminds me of the Patriots a few years ago when they were "Running up the score" and going for it on 4th down when they didn't need to. And I agree with what Shannon Sharpe and a few others said' date=' if you don't want the Patriots running up the score on you stop them on. If you don't want Silva making you look foolish, stop him.[/quote']

How was Maia embarrassed. He could not out strike one of the best strikers in the world? Everyone knew that before hand. It would have been an embarrassment to Maia if Anderson subbed him.

The only embarrassment last night was Anderson embarrassing himself and the sport. A champion striker running from a guy with no striking game while trying to strike.

What Silva did is indefensible. He hurt the organization, disrespected his opponent and spoiled the event for all of those who paid to see the "P4P best" (it has always been Fedor) defend his title like he should. At one point I thought that maybe he wants out of his contract or something like that.

Sorry kiddo' date=' but the cage is not a ring. It is not easy to pin someone into a corner.

Who in the hell in any weight class would be afraid to strike with Maia and back peddle like he did.[/quote']wow what idiots

People complaining about his showboating reminds me of the Patriots a few years ago when they were "Running up the score" and going for it on 4th down when they didn't need to. And I agree with what Shannon Sharpe and a few others said' date=' if you don't want the Patriots running up the score on you stop them on. If you don't want Silva making you look foolish, stop him.[/quote']

Did you have sound on your tv? I'm guessing not, cause if you did, you would have heard Rogan talking about how Maia had tried blowing his nose, which is a no no when it's broken. Silva cut him open, yeah, but Maia had blew his nose in between rounds and it closed his eye.

And anyway, running up the score in the NFL isn't comparable to making people look foolish, it's more comparable to what Hendo did to Bisping. Though you really shouldn't try to compare football to MMA. If someone is constantly throwing bombs on you, but you won't go down, that's different than scoring 2983743 touchdowns in football, cause in MMA, I still have another round to win, or the chance to KO or tap him out. In football, I'm still down by 2983743 touchdowns no matter what

PS: viewer1 just agreed with someone countering his point, he has no idea what's going on.

The last two rounds of the fight Silva was back pedaling away from Maia who was clearly agressor the last 2 rounds (sorry cant spell)

Evne Maia that last two rounds was wanting Silva to exchange with him even though he knew it would end up very bad for him

Maia is one of my Favs unfortunatly not on my list below as i run out of sig space

He really gained alot of peoples respect last night i would think

landed a few good combinations on Silva through round 4 + 5

even when he slipped and Silva was right in his face Maia even tried attacking with punches from his Knees

just at that moment i had a whole new respect for Maia

sure he dont have alot of power and his striking aint all that great but still he tried his best to hang in there with arguably the best striker in the world of MMA

Ive lost all respect for Anderson in the way he showed himself up last night and utterly disrespected his challenger.

In my eyes Maia won the last 2 rounds of the fight

And is also to me The real Middleweight champ as he showed the heart of one last night

silva did show-boat in the fight, but...

that doesnt stop his opponent from

chasing him down and fighting him.

maia or anyone else.

maia would have looked good chasing

silva. instead maia held-back also.

blame silva for playing with maia,

but blame maia for NOT chasing him

and taking the fight to the champ.

IT TAKES TWO, PERIOD.

I think it's funny that you enjoyed the way Silva was acting. I watch the UFC to see people fight not run around like an idiot while mocking the person you are running from. If you want to watch someone act like a clown go see the f****** circus.

silva did show-boat in the fight' date=' but...

maia or anyone else.

[b']blame silva [/b] for playing with maia,

IT TAKES TWO, PERIOD.

Right on, thats what I am talking about.

Respect is for outside the ring. how can you knock someone out respectfully?

maia or anyone else.

IT TAKES TWO, PERIOD.

Sorry I'm trying to picture this in my head and I just can't. How do you chase someone down that is litterally almost running from you and throw meaningful shots that actually can cause damage?! I disagree, you CAN run from someone in the octagon. You just run in circles like what Silva was doing. However I guess that could be a good tactic. Guerilla Warfare. Run from the opponent then turn around and punch them in the face when they start to close in.

yeh and in the first round he did just that.

but let me say this again, If you are running from someone in the cage who wants to catch you, you will get caught. Its not as if Maia has no legs and cant run, he just didn't want to, it was too risky.

Silva has nothing to apologize for. He fights to win , not to please dana. He's beat everyone theyve put in front of him thru various weight classes . all in 1 year. If Dana is so impressed with GSP, why doesnt he make the GSP/Silva fight. Then he will know what "embarrasment" really means.

That doesnt stop his opponent from

Maia or anyone else.

Maia would have looked good chasing

silva. Instead maia held-back also.

but blame maia for not chasing him

it takes two, period.

And Maia got what was coming to him, a loss. But never, ever should we see any fighter, regardless of who he is fighting, act like an immature ***clown.

People aren't mad and how boring the fight was, people are mad at Silva for being disrespectful and showing the full talent we know he has.

I blame Vitor for all this nonsense. If he wouldn't have got hurt, maybe Silva would actually have a challenge!! Forget Sonnen, he doesn't have much stand up either, he would get toyed with as well!!

Vitor hurry up and get healthy!!!

Silva has nothing to apologize for. He fights to win ' date=' not to please dana. He's beat everyone theyve put in front of him thru various weight classes . all in 1 year. If Dana is so impressed with GSP, why doesnt he make the GSP/Silva fight. Then he will know what "embarrasment" really means.[/quote']

Dude, really?! You can fight to win and NOT be a ****** bag. I've been pissed at Silva ever since he made a mockery of the Griffin fight by doing crap like offering him a hand up after he just about knocked him out. JUST FINISH THE FIGHT!!!

Personally, I think Anderson was too afraid to come after Maia, he didn't want to get dropped by Maia coming in. That, and he also has to worry about Maia getting a takedown if he's too busy stepping forward trying to throw strikes. This is why he kept crying for Maia to come after him, so that he could wait for Maia to make a mistake by throwing at him, and hoping he could catch him.

So I think it's safe to say that while Maia didn't do a damn thing to win, he didn't make a single mistake for Silva to capitlize on. Kudos to him

I cant beleive he said he did not see an opertunity (cant spell) to finish the fight there was plenty of times he could have finished the fight

right after the Knee when Maia was punching from down on his knees

that is two prime examples of perfect times he could finish the fight but didnt because he was fighting to humiliate another fighter

not to win his extreme lack of respect for anohter fighter baffled me

but i guess i was just expecting him to be more rfespectful like all other Blackhouse fighters are but i guess you cant change an ******* to a respectful fighter

directed at captain

True, but lets not forget that he got destroyed for the first three rounds..which is enough for silva to win the fight. Maia should have done a lot more. the only one of them with anything to prove is Maia. And he proved nothing..

Archived