Edgar's got the blueprint to defeat Silva

BrockObama

While I don't think Frankie Edgar did enough to take the LW belt from BJ, I appreciate the fact that he was in the fight all five rounds. What he showed in that fight is exactly what I'd like to see the from the next Silva challenger:

1) Press the action. You called out the champ, so don't wait for him to come to you. Be aggressive.

2) Quickness/Agility: Silva showed that he doesn't even need to hit you to make you paralyzed with fear of his striking. Whether you're looking for the takedown or trying to pick him apart in the standup, you have to use angles and you have to show some semblance of head movement.

3) Keep him guessing: don't do the same thing again, and again. Even though Edgar had a hard time taking Penn down (and had no chance of KEEPING him down) he had him worried about the takedown, and used that to his advantage in the striking. Use feints, use kicks, and use TD attempts to make Silva unsure of where your attacks will come from next.

4) Gas tank: The fighter who will dethrone Anderson probably won't do so via KO or submission because the guy's very defensive. Frankie kept coming all five rounds and even if he hadn't gotten the judges' nod, he would have proven to everyone that BJ is not invincible at LW. The same can be said for the fighter who has the stamina to hunt the Spider for five full rounds.

I don't think anyone in the UFC MW division has these four attributes at the moment, but eventually Anderson Silva-level fighters will be considered par for the course. As much as the caliber of fighter has improved in the last ten years, I think 5-10 years from now people are going to be scratching their heads wondering why Anderson Silva was so dominant. There is a lot of room for improvement in MMA, and Silva is simply ahead of his time.

I would see Edgar getting destroyed my Silva i think Silvas standing is way better the Edgar i do see Edgar doing better then Maia and actually engaging in a fight but unfortunately he would get KO'd

Yes' date=' Edgar would get KO'd, no doubt. All I'm saying is that if a MIDDLEWEIGHT could use Edgar's blueprint, he would at the very least show that A. Silva is not invincible.

that has vitor belfort written all over it..hes quick n he needs to implement his jab gte in n out maybe a 12 jab n then a leg kick n get out

Yup, that's the only fight in the MW division that makes any sense to me. Vitor's quick and he walks around as a LHW so he stands the best chance as far as I can see.

I would see Edgar getting destroyed my Silva i think Silvas standing is way better the Edgar i do see Edgar doing better then Maia and actually engaging in a fight but unfortunately he would get KO'd

?? Did you read the post? Do you actually think anyone's wondering who would win that fight? The point was it would take someone "like" Frankie to defeat Silva. But I don't really agree he had the right skill to beat a good boxer in BJ but the thing to take Frankie out of his game in my opinion would be leg kicks (how often do you see those from BJ) a long lanky muay thai fighter (Silva) would be just the one to do it. So those who said Belfort are on the right track but even though I like Frankie and did have him winning 4 of the 5 rounds I don't think his style meshes with Silva's well

haha i dont think we are talking about a fight between these two...i think hes trying to say a MW should use Edgar's blueprint to defeat Silva....

edit:

just saw im like the fourth person to make fun of you sorry.

?? Did you read the post? Do you actually think anyone's wondering who would win that fight? The point was it would take someone "like" Frankie to defeat Silva. But I don't really agree he had the right skill to beat a good boxer in BJ but the thing to take Frankie out of his game in my opinion would be leg kicks (how often do you see those from BJ) a long lanky muay thai fighter (Silva) would be just the one to do it. So those who said Belfort are on the right track but even though I like Frankie and did have him winning 4 of the 5 rounds I don't think his style meshes with Silva's well

Yes i know i saying i don't think Edgar him self would stand a chance but yes i do believe it will take someone with his spunk i guess to take on Silva....

in a nutshell what you said i agree with lol...........and i think ya Edgar won with out a doubt i am actually surprised there is even a debate on who won the Penn Edgar fight it was clear.......

Ill admit i didnt read the post very well lol sorry

i think ya Edgar won with out a doubt i am actually surprised there is even a debate on who won the Penn Edgar fight it was clear.......

I only question the judges' decision because after the Machida/Shogun fight I was operating under the impression that the challenger needed to decisively beat the champ to claim the belt. Frankie did a great job, and he made BJ work for it, but if Shogun came up short, then so should Edgar.

Bottom line is I want someone to do to Anderson what Edgar did to Penn and Shogun did to Machida. Even in defeat, the right challenger can destroy Silva's mystique.

There are lots of strategies that can work if only the athlete is born with the necessary neuro-muscular gifts. Reaction time, cardiovascular function, fast twitch muscle, lever proportions, etc are favorable in only a few individuals out of the millions. Statistically, it is unlikely that there is anyone out there in a position to train and fight that has these traits to anywhere near the same degree as Silva. Silva, unless he stops training or develops some bad habits, will not be slow enough for less gifted athletes to catch up to for several years, and by then most people will have stopped watching his middleweight capoeira demos.

Yes i know i saying i don't think Edgar him self would stand a chance but yes i do believe it will take someone with his spunk i guess to take on Silva....

in a nutshell what you said i agree with lol...........and i think ya Edgar won with out a doubt i am actually surprised there is even a debate on who won the Penn Edgar fight it was clear.......

Ill admit i didnt read the post very well lol sorry

That probably has alot to due with the whole "you must beat a champion to become a champion" and the fight between shogun and machida. Many people including me had shogun winning that fight 3 rounds to 2 yet Machida kept his title.. And even though Frankie was winning those rounds it wasn't decisively. Even though I had him winning 4 of the 5 I was actually more shocked when they said his name then I would have been if they said BJ... I was at a tossup love both guys and met Frankie really cool guy and heart out the A**

I only question the judges' decision because after the Machida/Shogun fight I was operating under the impression that the challenger needed to decisively beat the champ to claim the belt. Frankie did a great job' date=' and he made BJ work for it, but if Shogun came up short, then so should Edgar.

Bottom line is I want someone to do to Anderson what Edgar did to Penn and Shogun did to Machida. Even in defeat, the right challenger can destroy Silva's mystique.[/quote']

You got to it before I could.. My point exactly

That probably has alot to due with the whole "you must beat a champion to become a champion" and the fight between shogun and machida. Many people including me had shogun winning that fight 3 rounds to 2 yet Machida kept his title.. And even though Frankie was winning those rounds it wasn't decisively. Even though I had him winning 4 of the 5 I was actually more shocked when they said his name then I would have been if they said BJ... I was at a tossup love both guys and met Frankie really cool guy and heart out the A**

what about the fight metric?

-buy the ticket. take the ride.

Ya i think the Machida Shogun fight was closer then the Penn Edgar fight i felt like Edgar brought the fight to Penn and Penn just looked not him self and honestly looked like **** compared to how he normally fights so ya i think Edgar won 4 of 5 as well...

Plus i think Penn was only worried about moving to a new weight class i dont think his heart was in it.........possibly looking past Edgar which was a mistake.

I only question the judges' decision because after the Machida/Shogun fight I was operating under the impression that the challenger needed to decisively beat the champ to claim the belt. Frankie did a great job' date=' and he made BJ work for it, but if Shogun came up short, then so should Edgar.

Bottom line is I want someone to do to Anderson what Edgar did to Penn and Shogun did to Machida. Even in defeat, the right challenger can destroy Silva's mystique.[/quote']

ill reply to u as well but yes i get what your saying but i also feel like a said before that the Machida Shogun fight was a way closer fight then the Penn Edgar fight i think winning 4 rounds out of 5 deserves the title i think if its 2 of 5 or 3 of 5 and the 3rd is close then yes i don't think he should have won but i felt it was more solid of a win for Edgar then Shogun

Plus i think Penn was only worried about moving to a new weight class i dont think his heart was in it.........possibly looking past Edgar which was a mistake.

See, I think Penn was relieved to lose the belt. Kind of like Jack Nicholson said in The Departed, "Heavy weighs the crown." Penn said that the hardest thing to do is win when that's what's expected of you. I'll bet he wasn't looking past Edgar as much as he was trying to find a way out of the LW debacle that had him training like a champion for guys who, in his own estimation, punch like little girls. Now that the belt is in someone else's hands, he can move to WW and win or lose without anyone saying he should stay at LW and prove he is the best in his weight class.

See' date=' I think Penn was relieved to lose the belt. Kind of like Jack Nicholson said in The Departed, "Heavy weighs the crown." Penn said that the hardest thing to do is win when that's what's expected of you. I'll bet he wasn't looking past Edgar as much as he was trying to find a way out of the LW debacle that had him training like a champion for guys who, in his own estimation, punch like little girls. Now that the belt is in someone else's hands, he can move to WW and win or lose without anyone saying he should stay at LW and prove he is the best in his weight class.[/quote']

very true....good thought...

Archived