Anderson Silva fighting at 170

forgivemyhonesty

There seems to be general consensus that Anderson should fight at least one opponent before getting a crack at GSP.

Who should welcome Silva to the welterweight division?

extra points for explaining your picks.

my thoughts:

Dan Hardy - Dan Hardy is on his way down after his loss but he is still in the top 10 of the UFC's WW division and win will move him up FAST. Even though Hardy would get his sh!t packed in, he wouldn't be afraid bang with Silva. This would bring back the engaging Silva we all love to see and offer GSP further insight into Silva's striking game.

loser of Koscheck vs Daley - UFC is looking for another viable contender for GSP, to throw the winner of this fight to Silva would be a waste of a valuable #1 contender (and TUF 12 coach). if Koscheck loses to Daley, we see Silva against a strong wrestler, his alleged kryptonite. if Daley loses to Koscheck, we see Silva against someone who can test his chin (I see Daley kind of like WW version of Rampage).

Diego Sanchez - With Diego coming up for lightweight, he'll be looking to make waves in the welterweight division. He's fought at 185 so fighting at 170 shouldn't be too new an experience for him. When was the last time we saw Silva fight someone who could match his speed and energy

Rumble - He's a big welterweight, fast and can throw dukes with dirty power. This would no doubt be entertaining and again, possibly test Silva's chin.

Anderson wont move down to WW. He has nothing to prove to GSP. If the fight actually happens GSP will fight at MW.

I was of the understanding if silva beat maia he would be taking on gsp at 170. I heard this on ufc 112 just before the start of there fight.

No Silva doesnt get to fight GSP its part of SILVAS punishment it was said by white in a conference and silva will probably end up fighting on a preliminary card which i think is hilarious and after the fight he said he underestimated maia who hurt him or sumthin with one of the punches then says its cuz he disrespected him what hes back peddling and its only getting worse i bet now Maia wishes he just would of swung for the fences when SILVA put his hands down and asked for it i hate SILVA did this i dont like him but i know this hurt the sport in abu dahbi

Hardy - If Silva is confident he would destroy Hardy standing up. If he feels threatened, Silva would take him to the ground and choke him out or ref stoppage. Sad to say and no offense to Hardy but this would be no competition. Silva is wayyy to fast with his sways and way to experienced with little jabs and knees/kicks that even standing Hardy would look like no competition.

Koscheck - It would be the same as Maia, if he feels like Koscheck would have even the slightest advantage on the ground he would stay standing, Silva's takedown defense is amazing and a tough one to fight against.

Daley - In order to test his chin, you gotta be able to hit him.

Sanchez - Sad to say this too, but after what BJ Penn did to him, Sanchez vs Silva would be a joke. He really wouldn't know how to handle Silva's speed, power and stamina.

Johnson (Rumble) - He doesn't seem like he would be able to handle a fight like Silva can deliver. Koscheck took him out with a rear naked choke and other then that he hasn't really fought any notable competition that could even slightly be compared to what Silva could deliver.

I don't really know who would give him amazing competition but other then GSP my suggestions would be Serra, Hughes or Alves.

Serra - Good stand up and solid BJJ

Hughes - A little older and probably not gonna stay around much longer but can stand and go to the ground and at 170 would probably be physically stronger then Silva.

Alves - Strong boxing and great BJJ.

Another suggestion would be Jon Fitch. His only notable loss in UFC really is GSP and he can stand and go to the ground too.

I was of the understanding if silva beat maia he would be taking on gsp at 170. I heard this on ufc 112 just before the start of there fight.

i think I remember hearing that as well. But silva is a big MW' date=' he has to drop a lot of weight to make it, he is more comfortable fighting at LHW. But GSP is also a big WW.

and with GSP already tring to do the nessecary things to fight at MW[there was an article somewhere where he was trying to put on weight effectivly'] so a lot of people think [myself included] that if they actually do fight and that they wanted the fight to be as fair as possiple they would fight at MW

i think I remember hearing that as well. But silva is a big MW' date=' he has to drop a lot of weight to make it, he is more comfortable fighting at LHW. But GSP is also a big WW.

and with GSP already tring to do the nessecary things to fight at MW[there was an article somewhere where he was trying to put on weight effectivly'] so a lot of people think [myself included] that if they actually do fight and that they wanted the fight to be as fair as possiple they would fight at MW

Dana White confirmed that Silva wants to drop to 170, but I don't know if White will give him GSP after the Maia fight, its on youtube.

Hardy - If Silva is confident he would destroy Hardy standing up. If he feels threatened' date=' Silva would take him to the ground and choke him out or ref stoppage. Sad to say and no offense to Hardy but this would be no competition. Silva is wayyy to fast with his sways and way to experienced with little jabs and knees/kicks that even standing Hardy would look like no competition.

Koscheck - It would be the same as Maia, if he feels like Koscheck would have even the slightest advantage on the ground he would stay standing, Silva's takedown defense is amazing and a tough one to fight against.

Daley - In order to test his chin, you gotta be able to hit him.

Sanchez - Sad to say this too, but after what BJ Penn did to him, Sanchez vs Silva would be a joke. He really wouldn't know how to handle Silva's speed, power and stamina.

Johnson (Rumble) - He doesn't seem like he would be able to handle a fight like Silva can deliver. Koscheck took him out with a rear naked choke and other then that he hasn't really fought any notable competition that could even slightly be compared to what Silva could deliver.

I don't really know who would give him amazing competition but other then GSP my suggestions would be Serra, Hughes or Alves.

Serra - Good stand up and solid BJJ

Hughes - A little older and probably not gonna stay around much longer but can stand and go to the ground and at 170 would probably be physically stronger then Silva.

Alves - Strong boxing and great BJJ.

Another suggestion would be Jon Fitch. His only notable loss in UFC really is GSP and he can stand and go to the ground too.[/quote']

I don't think any of the people I listed would pose any REAL threat to Silva. But I think guys strikers like Hardy, Daley and Johnson would at least be willing to engage silva. As for Johnson's loss to Koscheck... there were stoppage factors that saved Koscheck's ****. I think both Serra and Hughes are a bit too old to really step up to Silva. Hughes is a beast though but he's been shown to fall down when hit in the face. and although Serra has proved he is not to be underestimated, but Silva is 3 inches taller than GSP with even more reach. I did consider Alves though, I would put him in league with Hardy in comparison to Silva. Fitch would be interesting, but again, I don't see the UFC going that route because of knocking down a #1 contender and St Pierre rematch opportunity.

There seems to be general consensus that Anderson should fight at least one opponent before getting a crack at GSP.

Who should welcome Silva to the welterweight division?

extra points for explaining your picks.

my thoughts:

Dan Hardy - Dan Hardy is on his way down after his loss but he is still in the top 10 of the UFC's WW division and win will move him up FAST. Even though Hardy would get his sh!t packed in' date=' he wouldn't be afraid bang with Silva. This would bring back the engaging Silva we all love to see and offer GSP further insight into Silva's striking game.

loser of Koscheck vs Daley - UFC is looking for another viable contender for GSP, to throw the winner of this fight to Silva would be a waste of a valuable #1 contender (and TUF 12 coach). if Koscheck loses to Daley, we see Silva against a strong wrestler, his alleged kryptonite. if Daley loses to Koscheck, we see Silva against someone who can test his chin (I see Daley kind of like WW version of Rampage).

Diego Sanchez - With Diego coming up for lightweight, he'll be looking to make waves in the welterweight division. He's fought at 185 so fighting at 170 shouldn't be too new an experience for him. When was the last time we saw Silva fight someone who could match his speed and energy

Rumble - He's a big welterweight, fast and can throw dukes with dirty power. This would no doubt be entertaining and again, possibly test Silva's chin.[/quote']

There's no concensus wtf are talking about.

After 112 Dana won't even consider him moving down to 170. Hell he'll probably tell him to go fight at 205 where you belong and vacate the title.

I think that there is no real challenge for Anderson silva at WW right now except for GSP. maybe thiago alves striking could present at least a decent fight but andersons striking is just way ahead of anybody in MMA. i think gsp could take him down and ground n pound him because if anything has been shown its that silvas one weak area is good wrestling. GSP would just have to make sure he didnt get submitted but hes shown that with people such as BJ

I think that there is no real challenge for Anderson silva at WW right now except for GSP. maybe thiago alves striking could present at least a decent fight but andersons striking is just way ahead of anybody in MMA. i think gsp could take him down and ground n pound him because if anything has been shown its that silvas one weak area is good wrestling. GSP would just have to make sure he didnt get submitted but hes shown that with people such as BJ

like when he subbed hendo and tko'd nate?

GSP has no chance and theres to many reasons as to why that i cant be bothered posting them again

like when he subbed hendo and tko'd nate?

GSP has no chance and theres to many reasons as to why that i cant be bothered posting them again

Hendo got him to the ground and i think that GSP could take down nate..he just has to be careful of being subbed. GSP wouldnt stand with him obviously but i think advantage GSP he can take him down and get it to the ground

Anderson wont move down to WW. He has nothing to prove to GSP. If the fight actually happens GSP will fight at MW.

This.

But it makes no sense, didn't Dana want GSP to move to MW cuz he cleared his division?

That would make sense. But the fact that no title would be on the line takes away a lot from it.

You think so? These fighters have proved SO much in their own divisions, and I think their more concerned with getting the victory over the other guy rather than getting the belt. It's kind of like saying "I Beat the best guy in that weight class" without making that champ lose his position. Anderson won't stay down at WW. GSP doesn't think he's ready (right now atleast) for MW.

catchweight seems ideal.

This.

But it makes no sense' date=' didn't Dana want GSP to move to MW cuz he cleared his division?[/quote']

dana wont let gsp move to mw and gsp afraid to move to mw and away from his comfort zone,so a.silva will be a man to drop to ww just to fight gsp. i see a.silva ko gsp 2rd.

Let Anderson fight at any weight/catch-weight he wants.

Take his MW title and let him grab any and all competition he wants. If he wants to fight kenny florian, let him drop the weight and fight, it won't be for a title, but let him fight.

Let him do a grand tour of all the champions in the UFC. He just won't hold a belt.

Here's the thing Silva is a huge MW, that's why he is able to fight LHW so readily. If he cut the additional 15 lbs required to make WW he would sap alot of his strength. I think if GSP vs. Silva takes place the winner would be whatever class they were in. At WW I think GSP has the advantage due to him having been fighting WW alot longer, and vice versa for Silva at MW. Get over it, they are at two different weight classes and this fight will most likely never happen. And even if it did whoever lost would just say well big deal it was _ _ _ _ _ that beat me and I was out of my element due to the weight cut/gain. We have a better chance of seeing Silva dance around his next fight, get cut, sign with strikeforce, and fight Fedor.

Archived