Hallucinogens used to treat depression, anxiety and addiction

General_Anesthetic

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36410319/ns/health-the_new_york_times/

As a retired clinical psychologist, Clark Martin was well acquainted with traditional treatments for depression, but his own case seemed untreatable as he struggled through chemotherapy and other grueling regimens for kidney cancer. Counseling seemed futile to him. So did the antidepressant pills he tried.

Nothing had any lasting effect until, at the age of 65, he had his first psychedelic experience. He left his home in Vancouver, Wash., to take part in an experiment at Johns Hopkins medical school involving psilocybin, the psychoactive ingredient found in certain mushrooms.

Scientists are taking a new look at hallucinogens, which became taboo among regulators after enthusiasts like Timothy Leary promoted them in the 1960s with the slogan “Turn on, tune in, drop out.” Now, using rigorous protocols and safeguards, scientists have won permission to study once again the drugs’ potential for treating mental problems and illuminating the nature of consciousness...

Interesting read. Comments..?

I personally smoke marijuana because it's the best medication for me. I suffer from clinical depression and every socially accepted medication has done nothing but harm to me. Marijuana balances me out and let's me be the best me possible when prescription drug's negatively effected me in more way's than I can count. I went from rarely having suicidal urges to thinking about it constantly. I went from sleeping constantly to barely sleeping and behaving in a violent manner when I was upset.

I don't know anything about using hallucinogenics as a treatment but I wouldn't be surprised if it worked just as well as what they normally force on people.

This is interesting. I have went rounds with depression since coming back from Iraq and I found that the use of a strong disassociative can be the best short term cure for the problem. Assuredly people like CageRattler will immediately spout off about "drugz r bad mkay?" without looking at the big picture.

As the poster above me said, and also through personal experience, marijuana is being used in progressive treatments for PTSD in war veterans and is having quite miraculous results. Most just assume to look the other way because it's got a "illegal drug" label attatched to it.

well its not an acual hallucinogen, its the same drug, but they remove the hallucinagenic compounds, lsa for expample, is a form of lsd, but without the trippy effects, this drug lsa is used to treat people that get those absolute debilitating headaches, i saw this on either nat geo, or the history cchannel. a man suffers from the worst headache possible nearly every day, and to calm it down, he has to go through atleast three of those large o2 tanks old people wheel around. lsa is a perfect drug to cure him, but he made a promise to his kids he wouldnt use illegal drugs

I personally smoke marijuana because it's the best medication for me. I suffer from clinical depression and every socially accepted medication has done nothing but harm to me. Marijuana balances me out and let's me be the best me possible when prescription drug's negatively effected me in more way's than I can count. I went from rarely having suicidal urges to thinking about it constantly. I went from sleeping constantly to barely sleeping and behaving in a violent manner when I was upset.

I don't know anything about using hallucinogenics as a treatment but I wouldn't be surprised if it worked just as well as what they normally force on people.

dude, today is the worst day of my life. i too suffer from depression, major depressive disorder, and i smoke marijuana too. but i still live at home, and i dont have a job. today my parents decided to kick me out because of my long term marijuana use, and how they dont want it in out house, and also because i cant find a job, im not in a condition to hold a job i tell them, and marijuana helps my depression, but they dont buy it. so no i wont have a place to go, which will only make things worse, make me go further down rather them up which is what they think. i refuse to let go of my love for marijuana though. if they cant accpet me for who i am, then f them. i told them if i had to live on the streets i would just kill myself. things dont look good for vasile here. i got no place to go now, no job, just 500 bucks and a car. i cant see myself living to much longer, i cant do this ****.

ibogaine (that tribal drug that makes you spew and trip, can buy it legally i think) stops opiod addiction, like the bad stuff (heroin morphine codeine etc)

lol of course they will help treat depression...

i have had hallucinogens, and noticed im really happy for like a week + afterwards...

unusually happy lol

kind of makes sense when you think about it..... its so strange that these molecules can affect us like this.... like with LSD you see all these insane things, and feel all sorts of different feelings, but the only physical effect is pupil dilation. they have a strong affect on the mind

People have a right to put whatever they want into their body. Drugs should be legal period. As ive said before Mexicos drug cartels are not enormous because Mexico is cracked out..... Legalize em, tax em, and lets move on.

And seriously even though they should be legalized I WOULD NEVER recommend them. Short term help or not, they are unhealthy and thats fact. But what someones allowed to put in there body is their right. Nuff said.

dont do drugs.

This is interesting. I have went rounds with depression since coming back from Iraq and I found that the use of a strong disassociative can be the best short term cure for the problem. Assuredly people like CageRattler will immediately spout off about "drugz r bad mkay?" without looking at the big picture.

As the poster above me said' date=' and also through personal experience, marijuana is being used in progressive treatments for PTSD in war veterans and is having quite miraculous results. Most just assume to look the other way because it's got a "illegal drug" label attatched to it.[/quote']

The only thing I would spout is that none of you are doctors and none of you should be "treat" yourselves with drugs of any kind.

Also, do not pull your own teeth, or set your own broken limbs.

dude' date=' today is the worst day of my life. i too suffer from depression, major depressive disorder, and i smoke marijuana too. but i still live at home, and i dont have a job. today my parents decided to kick me out because of my long term marijuana use, and how they dont want it in out house, and also because i cant find a job, im not in a condition to hold a job i tell them, and marijuana helps my depression, but they dont buy it. so no i wont have a place to go, which will only make things worse, make me go further down rather them up which is what they think. i refuse to let go of my love for marijuana though. if they cant accpet me for who i am, then f them. i told them if i had to live on the streets i would just kill myself. things dont look good for vasile here. i got no place to go now, no job, just 500 bucks and a car. i cant see myself living to much longer, i cant do this ****.[/quote']

Through adveristy, there is redemtion my friend. Just keep your nose to the grindstone and you'll eventually pull through to face your next battle that life throws your way. Trust me, I know. ;)

Yes. Or rather' date=' it should be illegal for anyone to have to do that for themselves due to financial reasons. What are we? Mexicans?[/quote']

lol way to turn this into a healthcare debate...

But yea dude totally call your congressman and tell him to enact and new law to illegallize self-repositioning of limbs, and self-removal of teeth. lol

What a dunce..

lol way to turn this into a healthcare debate...

But yea dude totally call your congressman and tell him to enact and new law to illegallize self-repositioning of limbs' date=' and self-removal of teeth. lol

What a dunce..[/quote']

And people prescribing their own drugs for phycological treatment?

Brilliant no doubt.

And people prescribing their own drugs for phycological treatment?

Brilliant no doubt.

lol it doesnt have to be... You know why?? Because it has nothing to do with you, what a concept! Now if Kevbo shoved some **** down your throat i would discourage that. But Kevbo can shove whatever he wants down his evolution loving throat, or whatever he wants into his evolution loving skin, or whatever he wants into his evolution loving lungs.

I know' date=' lets have all the crazies in prison prescribe their own drug treatments.

What a recipe for success.[/quote']

who gave the people in PRISON access to drugs... now thats the real question.

On another note if its weed they were smoking they prob wouldnt fight as much. Food for thought. Prison would be a "happy place" lol.

EDIT: Seriously im in no way advocating the use of drugs. They are bad for you.

well its not an acual hallucinogen' date=' its the same drug, but they remove the hallucinagenic compounds[/b'], lsa for expample, is a form of lsd, but without the trippy effects, this drug lsa is used to treat people that get those absolute debilitating headaches, i saw this on either nat geo, or the history cchannel. a man suffers from the worst headache possible nearly every day, and to calm it down, he has to go through atleast three of those large o2 tanks old people wheel around. lsa is a perfect drug to cure him, but he made a promise to his kids he wouldnt use illegal drugs

Wrong.

I am familiar with LSD vs. LSA but this study used psilocybin which is the active compund in mushrooms that causes the psychedelic experience. If psilocybin was removed the study would be pointless since it is the psychedelic experience that scientists believe contributes to the alleviation of depression.

they use them to treat cluster headaches, i think that is actually some kind of disorder (not just a really bad headache)

i think lots of different tryptamines can be used. (maybe even all)

most animals (including humans) have tryptamines present in their brains, and people think they are used as neurotransmitters.....

tryptamines include all sorts, melatonan, serotonin, DMT, psylocibin, that frog that gets makes you trip when you lick it.

i think there is also a man made drug in this family made to treat migraines

so makes sense that taking a substance similar to a specific transmitter to get the desired result....

like with cluster headaches, just flips a switch, turns the pain off.

i think they only need to give you a tiny dose too, so small that you wont hallucinate, or even feel any euphoria

im not sure on all of this stuff.... lol in my youth i was gonna do something sciencey for a living, used to be interested in heaps of this.

good friend of mine is studying drug development with medical applications, or something like that

The only thing I would spout is that none of you are doctors and none of you should be "treat" yourselves with drugs of any kind.

Also' date=' do not pull your own teeth, or set your own broken limbs.[/quote']

My doctor recommended marijuana. Doctor's all over the world do in quite a few cases.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36410319/ns/health-the_new_york_times/

As a retired clinical psychologist' date=' Clark Martin was well acquainted with traditional treatments for depression, but his own case seemed untreatable as he struggled through chemotherapy and other grueling regimens for kidney cancer. Counseling seemed futile to him. So did the antidepressant pills he tried.

Nothing had any lasting effect until, at the age of 65, he had his first psychedelic experience. He left his home in Vancouver, Wash., to take part in an experiment at Johns Hopkins medical school involving psilocybin, the psychoactive ingredient found in certain mushrooms.

Scientists are taking a new look at hallucinogens, which became taboo among regulators after enthusiasts like Timothy Leary promoted them in the 1960s with the slogan ?Turn on, tune in, drop out.? Now, using rigorous protocols and safeguards, scientists have won permission to study once again the drugs? potential for treating mental problems and illuminating the nature of consciousness...[/i']

Interesting read. Comments..?

After the effects of drugs, the problem that causes your depression is still there. So why bother injecting or putting something into you body which can also do harm onto the body & brain as well, when that the same substance cannot really sovles the problem or it's effect is only temporary.

After the effects of drugs' date=' the problem that causes your depression is still there. So why bother injecting or putting something into you body which can also do harm onto the body & brain as well, when that the same substance cannot really sovles the problem or it's effect is only temporary.[/quote']

Because it's less harmful and more helpful the alternatives. Prescription drug' do tremendous amounts of damage, way more than most illegal drug's. Most drug's prescribed for depression are highly addictive, most of the illegal alternatives are not. Compare Xanax to marijuana. Marijuana does next to no damage to any part of your body. The only part it really effects is your lungs and that's relatively minor. Xanax on the other hand actually destroy's your liver and several other important organ's. It's highly addictive and incredibly easy to overdose using.

When you're in the situation even a moment without the crushing weight of depression is a huge relief. Most of the alternatives last long enough that it's pretty much impossible to OD ( something prescription drug's cannot say ). Personally I usually smoke around 3 times throughout the day if I have work/school. Rarely do I get "high" but afterwards I can feel the difference in my emotions and behavior. Until you've experienced what some of us live with on a daily basis you really shouldn't judge anyone.

There is no specific 'problem" that causes depression. It isn't something you can figure out and get past. For some people it is ( incredibly rare ) but for most it's a chemical imbalance. There is no cure at his point, all we have are bandaids.

Question for Cagerattler:

Since using illegal drugs automatically makes me a loser' date=' if my recreational drug of choice were legalized tomorrow would I then cease to be a loser?[/quote']

It would all depend on how much of your potential is being wasted by you being wasted.

If you are total losr with no potential for anything besides being a loser then it would be difficult to argue aginst you using all the drugs your little heart desires.

After the effects of drugs' date=' the problem that causes your depression is still there[/u']. So why bother injecting or putting something into you body which can also do harm onto the body & brain as well, when that the same substance cannot really sovles the problem or it's effect is only temporary.

wrong

when you get into a depressive state the chemistry in your brain changes, a physical change....

drugs can 'put you back on track'

thats the point of most antidepressants, you dont take any of them forever (under a good doctors opinion).

like i said in my earlier post, tryptamines appear to not just act as 'drugs' they also occur in the brain naturally and are thought to be neurotransmitters

the body is so much more complicated than that.

that post is silly

It would all depend on how much of your potential is being wasted by you being wasted.

If you are total losr with no potential for anything besides being a loser then it would be difficult to argue aginst you using all the drugs your little heart desires.

not trying to argue or anything...

but is it ok to take drugs if you are awesome then?? lol

not trying to argue or anything...

but is it ok to take drugs if you are awesome then?? lol

It is up to you what is ok.

Most drug use is just self indulgence like eating or drinking or sex or whatever.

Trying to make anything more of it is comical.

Yes, THC can be aan affective pain killer and is much less haermful than opiates or narcatics. At least a person can remain cogent instead of being KTFO. But how much of the pot use that is being bantered about here all the time is for pain relief and not just self indulgance?

Answer: not very much.

na you seem sensible, lol...

thc as a painkiller, placebo effect lol. make you not think about the pain, doesn't numb you significantly. (could be special kinds of brain disorder or special pain that doesn't respond to opiods and other standard pain killers, but opiods usually the way to go)

the appetite thing is helpful though, they have developed a drug for obese people to make them stop eating, using cannabinoid receptors. (nothing to do directly with THC, but from weed)

Most drug use is just self indulgence like eating or drinking or sex or whatever.

Yes' date=' THC can be aan affective pain killer and is much less haermful than opiates or narcatics. At least a person can remain cogent instead of being KTFO. But how much of the pot use that is being bantered about here all the time is for pain relief and not just self indulgance?

Answer: not very much.[/quote']

Actually studies have shown that people with prescriptions for medical marijuana on the whole use less than their counterparts who don't have prescriptions. I can vouch for that. I don't have a prescription but I use a lot less than some of my friends who smoke for funsies.

When I was a kid I used to get ridiculously stoned pretty much whenever I could ( it was high school it happens lol ). Now as I said I rarely get high. I get a little buzz but for a bit but very rarely do I get anywhere near as high or smoke anywhere near as much.

On the other hand I see nothing wrong with people smokin' a little to relax and wind down. Alcohol is infinitely more dangerous and most people think it's totally normal to drink a beer after work. Why is smoking a joint so different?

Extacy, in small doses, used to be used by marriage councellors for its effect of bringing people closer together. When patients were having trouble communicating or trusting one another with their feelings, extacy would make them "touchy feely" friendly (non-sexual) towards one another so the therapist could get them open up emotionally with each other.

Then a bunch of people in Houston or Dallas started taking a ton of it in bars and dying.

after much searching i found some interesting drugs i knew existed! (lol im bored...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumatriptan for migraines, in same family as LSD and all that junk. man made drug.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rimonabant drug that makes fatties not eat (err yea), used on a cannabinoid receptor

well that proves there is something behind it....

with medicine the way it is today they probably wont have you taking a 'trip', engineer some new drug to get what they want. logistics aside, it is basically playing with blocks, building something (the drug) that fits into the appropriate receptor in your brain

very interesting topic.

the first time i had weed it had a profound impact on me' date=' and it has helped me a lot, and it's almost mushroom season and after trying and failing once, this season can't come soon enough.[/quote']

find a scientific publication about them from your local area

New Zealand Journal of Botany, 1995, Vol. 33: 379-388

0028-825X/95/3303-0379 $2.50/0 ? The Royal Society of New Zealand 1995 379

The genus Psilocybe (Agaricales) in New Zealand (o yeaaaaaa)

=

lol treasure map.... (i gave a shopping bag full to about 30 friends once... all in a grandstand watching the fields)

'identified' :D:D 7ish kinds of hallucinogenic mushrooms... (cant remember exactly, was 2 years ago...)

2 species that weren't documented here (lol shows how much research they do into these things)

all for scientific purposes of course...... . . . . ..

. . . . .

. . .

. . .

. .

. .

. ..

dude' date=' today is the worst day of my life. i too suffer from depression, major depressive disorder, and i smoke marijuana too. but i still live at home, and i dont have a job. today my parents decided to kick me out because of my long term marijuana use, and how they dont want it in out house, and also because i cant find a job, im not in a condition to hold a job i tell them, and marijuana helps my depression, but they dont buy it. so no i wont have a place to go, which will only make things worse, make me go further down rather them up which is what they think. i refuse to let go of my love for marijuana though. if they cant accpet me for who i am, then f them. i told them if i had to live on the streets i would just kill myself. things dont look good for vasile here. i got no place to go now, no job, just 500 bucks and a car. i cant see myself living to much longer, i cant do this ****.[/quote']

i hope the best for you brother.

After the effects of drugs' date=' the problem that causes your depression is still there. So why bother injecting or putting something into you body which can also do harm onto the body & brain as well, when that the same substance cannot really sovles the problem or it's effect is only temporary.[/quote']

no offence but some people have no idea about this subject and should not include themselves in these kind of discussions, unless of course you want to view it with an open mind.

Because it's less harmful and more helpful the alternatives. Prescription drug' do tremendous amounts of damage' date=' way more than most illegal drug's. Most drug's prescribed for depression are highly addictive, most of the illegal alternatives are not. Compare Xanax to marijuana. Marijuana does next to no damage to any part of your body. The only part it really effects is your lungs and that's relatively minor. Xanax on the other hand actually destroy's your liver and several other important organ's. It's highly addictive and incredibly easy to overdose using.

When you're in the situation even a moment without the crushing weight of depression is a huge relief. Most of the alternatives last long enough that it's pretty much impossible to OD ( something prescription drug's cannot say ). Personally I usually smoke around 3 times throughout the day if I have work/school. Rarely do I get "high" but afterwards I can feel the difference in my emotions and behavior. Until you've experienced what some of us live with on a daily basis you really shouldn't judge anyone.

There is no specific 'problem" that causes depression. It isn't something you can figure out and get past. For some people it is ( incredibly rare ) but for most it's a chemical imbalance. There is no cure at his point, all we have are bandaids.[/quote']

this

no offence but some people have no idea about this subject and should not include themselves in these kind of discussions' date=' unless of course you want to view it with an open mind.[/quote']

Bottomline is this thread is about people who wants to use some kind of drugs or even marijuana as some kind of cure or temporary antidote for depression. Ok I agree that it might help since your brain will be temporarilly relax or somewhat numb that you might forget your problem. But reality is after the effects of marijuan is gone, the problem is still there. Much worst is that you might not notice that you're already destroying your brain & body.

find a scientific publication about them from your local area

New Zealand Journal of Botany' date=' 1995, Vol. 33: 379-388

0028-825X/95/3303-0379 $2.50/0 ? The Royal Society of New Zealand 1995 379

The genus Psilocybe (Agaricales) in New Zealand (o yeaaaaaa)

=

lol treasure map.... (i gave a shopping bag full to about 30 friends once... all in a grandstand watching the fields)

'identified' :D:D 7ish kinds of hallucinogenic mushrooms... (cant remember exactly, was 2 years ago...)

2 species that weren't documented here (lol shows how much research they do into these things)

all for scientific purposes of course...... . . . . ..

. . . . .

. . .

. . .

. .

. .

. ..[/quote']

my friend got a bag of dried mushrooms after the season ended and 3 of us took them but they didn't do anything cause there was probably only enough for one person not 3. it's something i've wanted to do for a couple of years now, i have been extremely patient, even after the first attempt was unsuccessful, this season is a must.

Bottomline is this thread is about people who wants to use some kind of drugs or even marijuana as some kind of cure or temporary antidote for depression. Ok I agree that it might help since your brain will be temporarilly relax or somewhat numb that you might forget your problem. But reality is after the effects of marijuan is gone' date=' the problem is still there. Much worst is that you might not notice that you're already destroying your brain & body.[/quote']

MMA destroys the brain and body, but you dont seem to mind that much.

Bottomline is this thread is about people who wants to use some kind of drugs or even marijuana as some kind of cure or temporary antidote for depression. Ok I agree that it might help since your brain will be temporarilly relax or somewhat numb that you might forget your problem. But reality is after the effects of marijuan is gone' date=' the problem is still there. Much worst is that you might not notice that you're already destroying your brain & body.[/quote']

like i said before, and i truly don't want to offend you, but you clearly don't have an understanding of this subject, and it would be the same as me giving my opinion on quantum physics or something, i don't understand it therefore my opinion has no weight.

MMA destroys the brain and body' date=' but you dont seem to mind that much.[/quote']

Your right about that. But I think the MMA destroy the external part and not the internal part like the drugs/marijuana do.

MMA cut or injured the head which is still curable but some stitches or oparation, while drugs/marijuana kills the some cells of the brain wherein I don't know if still repairable/replaceable. Same also for the body.

Your right about that. But I think the MMA destroy the external part and not the internal part like the drugs/marijuana do.

MMA cut or injured the head which is still curable but some stitches or oparation' date=' while drugs/marijuana kills the some cells of the brain wherein I don't know if still repairable/replaceable. Same also for the body.[/quote']

getting hit in the head kills brain cells, hallucinogens make you think more...

I'm not preaching at anyone here, but I'm of the mind that a bit of caution should be exercised when self prescribing - but am also convinced by reading most of your testimonies that there can be benefits to using some products as a balm, and that you've got a handle on what you're doing. My concern stems from experience with a few of my family members who have had trouble with the 'resin canab', but I think there's a difference in what's being sold here in my part of the UK compared with the US. Here in Wales we have some really horrible skunk on sale a lot of the time, and it's a madman, not good at all - one of my family needs psychiatric help for life probably after frying himself with it, so take care, guys.

Also, reading some of your posts, some of you seem to get the blues, and find the herb helps. I suffer with what I call 'black dog days', and have a few strategies to help cope with them.

One - get a support system in place - not like a crash team or anything dramatic, just one or two people who you know and trust, explain what happens with you, and if you're on a 'down' period, just check in with them - I use a numerical grading system, low to high - even just by text message; I find it helps just to express externally what's going on, even in one sentence, without going in depth, as sometimes it's inexplicable anyway as to why you may feel so rotten. Also, get eating loads of fresh fruit and veggies - it helps, I swear.

Two - work - a big part of life, no doubt, and one that can get swampy when you get episodes like this - my advice, become a list maniac, and let the list run your life for the down period, you'll feel more in control, and less likely to slip up and make yourself feel worse. Also, if you can get a support system in place at work, you'll be well set; tricky in some circumstances to accomplish, but people can be more sympathetic than you think - I work for myself in a family organisation these days, so I'm lucky, but I was pretty upfront with my bosses at previous jobs, and my prospects weren't harmed at all.

Three - mostly, these little bleak spots are just that - short time frames where your body chemistry is a little squiffy. Once you understand that you will come through the other side of them, things get a little easier. I've come to realise that once I've ridden the rough patch, the period immediately after is when the 'best me' comes out; my best work, ideas etc, come on quickly after, so I sort of accept (and in a perverse sort of way, quite like) the rough as a facilitator for the good stuff that results.

Sorry this worked out so long, but I thought it may help someone out.

Oh my fault' date=' I thought it was the illegal part that made me a loser but you're saying its the unrealized potential thing that makes me a loser. If I take benadryl for my allergies & I get really drowsy & fall asleep for a few hours am I a total loser while I'm snoozing?

Yes, THC can be aan affective pain killer and is much less haermful than opiates or narcatics. At least a person can remain cogent instead of being KTFO. But how much of the pot use that is being bantered about here all the time is for pain relief and not just self indulgance?

Answer: not very much.

I actually agree with you here but what is wrong with self indulgence if done responsibly?

I'm not preaching at anyone here' date=' but I'm of the mind that a bit of caution should be exercised when self prescribing - but am also convinced by reading most of your testimonies that there can be benefits to using some products as a balm, and that you've got a handle on what you're doing. My concern stems from experience with a few of my family members who have had trouble with the 'resin canab', but I think there's a difference in what's being sold here in my part of the UK compared with the US. Here in Wales we have some really horrible skunk on sale a lot of the time, and it's a madman, not good at all - one of my family needs psychiatric help for life probably after frying himself with it, so take care, guys. [/quote']

I'd be willing to bet whatever your family member used was laced with PCP. I have smoked weed laced with PCP before (unknowingly) & it was damn near impossible to keep my sh*t together until it wore off.

I've smoked massive quantities of world-class weed & hash & I have never felt like I was going to lose my sh*t but a couple hits off a joint laced with PCP is likely to make one get naked & go on a violent, lunatic rampage.

Archived