Anderson - tapegate

brewster

Well if the fight itself didn't stir up enough controversy we have one more thing to add to the list.

As you know every fighter has to have his tape and gloves inspected by a commission official prior to and after a fight. The gloves are taped to represent there corner (blue/red) and are signed by an official.

With no commission in place, Marc Ratner (VP of regulatory affairs and former Executive Director of the NSAC) is in charge of setting up all rules and regulations as they would be in the State of Nevada.

On saturday night, Anderson's gloves were not taped and inspected. Not to make accusations, however, without this, there is no way to know if Anderson's gloves were tampered with.

andowrap.jpg

even if he did do some thing with the gloves he didint use it to an advantage.

Unless he put some weights in the gloves to knock out maia erli but then once the fight started he felt bad for cheating so thats y he danced around. food for thought lol (i am only messing around with the last bit haha)

this thread is not about Anderson and possibly cheating it is how the hell does no one notice, from the trainer wrapping his hands, to the UFC official acting as commission, to the referee inspecting the fighter at ringside, to the referee in the ring with the fighters for 25 minutes!!

This is a big big mistake that Mr. Ratner needs to make a statement about (IMO)

this thread is not about Anderson and possibly cheating it is how the hell does no one notice' date=' from the trainer wrapping his hands, to the UFC official acting as commission, to the referee inspecting the fighter at ringside, to the referee in the ring with the fighters for 25 minutes!!

This is a big big mistake that Mr. Ratner needs to make a statement about (IMO)[/quote']

+1 i'd like to know was there a reason for it, is it aloud and how the reff or anyone else did not notice

I don't think anybody is debating if he cheated it's just jokes.

But yes you are right that seems like a major problem. Hopefully there will be some word as to what happened!!!

yes your right but had this happend on high profile boxing match this would be front page news and a big deal, so why not now

this thread is not about Anderson and possibly cheating it is how the hell does no one notice' date=' from the trainer wrapping his hands, to the UFC official acting as commission, to the referee inspecting the fighter at ringside, to the referee in the ring with the fighters for 25 minutes!!

This is a big big mistake that Mr. Ratner needs to make a statement about (IMO)[/quote']

Agreed. I also think that it needs to be addressed to make sure things are put in place to make sure it doesn't happen again.

The US and Canadian events have for the most part established and experienced state athletic commissions to make sure everything is done properly.

As the UFC hits more and more countries without sanctioning bodies and are responsible themselves, things need to be put in place to keep fights free of questions regarding cheating.

Do I think Silva "cheated", well other than cheating us of a great fight no. Do I think Maia would be right to bring this to the attention of the UFC. Yes. Without proof Silva's gloves were signed off by an official of a sanctioning body no one here can state with 100% confidence or proof that his gloves and tape job conformed to the rules.

Agreed. I also think that it needs to be addressed to make sure things are put in place to make sure it doesn't happen again.

The US and Canadian events have for the most part established and experienced state athletic commissions to make sure everything is done properly.

As the UFC hits more and more countries without sanctioning bodies and are responsible themselves' date=' things need to be put in place to keep fights free of questions regarding cheating.

Do I think Silva "cheated", well other than cheating us of a great fight no. Do I think Maia would be right to bring this to the attention of the UFC. Yes. Without proof Silva's gloves were signed off by an official of a sanctioning body no one here can state with 100% confidence or proof that his gloves and tape job conformed to the rules.[/quote']

got it in 1

I completely agree. This is a huge oversight on the part of Mr. Ratner and everybody else involved.

I can see how it would go overlooked, as I didn't notice it during the fight, either. But when it's your JOB to make sure that these things are in place, it's pretty unacceptable.

What would have happened if Maia had some sort of arm submission locked in, but Silva was able to get out because his glove 'slipped' off?

"Tapegate"' date=' is this **** serious?[/quote']

It's a very legit concern.

Without the tape, there is no way to tell if his gloves had been properly inspected prior to the fight.

They could have been light, so he has more speed.

They could have been heavy, so he has more power.

Maybe the tape was gone so he could slip out of the glove if he was caught in a submission.

Either way, this is a terrible oversight that needs to be addressed.

HOLD ON

why doesn't Maia have the white wrap around his thumb?

is it legit that Anderson might have capitalized on the mistake by the AC?

Actually, Demian's hands don't look taped at all.

Strange.

Maybe he feels he can work his groundgame better without having his hands taped up.

It's a very legit concern.

Without the tape' date=' there is no way to tell if his gloves had been properly inspected prior to the fight.

They could have been light, so he has more speed.

They could have been heavy, so he has more power.

Maybe the tape was gone so he could slip out of the glove if he was caught in a submission.

Either way, this is a terrible oversight that needs to be addressed.[/quote']

What it also shows is a possible lack of oversight by the UFC. The UFC and Marc Ratner act as officials when a show is being held in a city without a commission. When mistakes like this happen we have to sit back and wonder what other mistakes are being made? Are drug tests being done correctly, are pre fight and post medicals done correctly?

When the UFC acts as a commission, it is a huge job with a lot of responsibilities. for the safety of the fighters and the reputation of the sport these have to be met to exact standards. Those standards are the unified rules as used by the NSAC. For a mistake like this to be made in Nevada would mean an investigation, and a probable change in the result to a N/C. This would be a very big deal.

What it also shows is a possible lack of oversight by the UFC. The UFC and Marc Ratner act as officials when a show is being held in a city without a commission. When mistakes like this happen we have to sit back and wonder what other mistakes are being made? Are drug tests being done correctly' date=' are pre fight and post medicals done correctly?

When the UFC acts as a commission, it is a huge job with a lot of responsibilities. for the safety of the fighters and the reputation of the sport these have to be met to exact standards. Those standards are the unified rules as used by the NSAC. [b']For a mistake like this to be made in Nevada would mean an investigation, and a probable change in the result to a N/C. This would be a very big deal[/b].

That's where my thoughts went as well. If this happened with one of the better SACs and Maia's camp made a complaint, the Athletic commission would have no choice but to declare it a no Contest as they could not attest to the fact the tape job and gloves conformed to the rules.

People are over looking the fact that in any combat sport involving gloves like MMA, Boxing K-1 the tape job and gloves are one of the biggest issues at hand. There is a reason these things are inspected and signed off on by commission officials.

What it also shows is a possible lack of oversight by the UFC. The UFC and Marc Ratner act as officials when a show is being held in a city without a commission. When mistakes like this happen we have to sit back and wonder what other mistakes are being made? Are drug tests being done correctly' date=' are pre fight and post medicals done correctly?

When the UFC acts as a commission, it is a huge job with a lot of responsibilities. for the safety of the fighters and the reputation of the sport these have to be met to exact standards. Those standards are the unified rules as used by the NSAC. For a mistake like this to be made in Nevada would mean an investigation, and a probable change in the result to a N/C. This would be a very big deal.[/quote']

Wow.. I had no idea the result could be changed to a N/C. That's pretty crazy.

Somebody needs to get ahold of Mr. White or Mr. Ratner and see what they have to say about this.

It was also pointed out that Maia's hands didn't look to be taped at all. Is that personal choice, or is it also required by the AC's?

When the UFC acts as a commission, it is a huge job with a lot of responsibilities. for the safety of the fighters and the reputation of the sport these have to be met to exact standards. Those standards are the unified rules as used by the NSAC. For a mistake like this to be made in Nevada would mean an investigation, and a probable change in the result to a N/C. This would be a very big deal.[/quote']

That's where my thoughts went as well. If this happened with one of the better SACs and Maia's camp made a complaint' date=' the Athletic commission would have no choice but to declare it a no Contest as they could not attest to the fact the tape job and gloves conformed to the rules.

People are over looking the fact that in any combat sport involving gloves like MMA, Boxing K-1 the tape job and gloves are one of the biggest issues at hand. There is a reason these things are inspected and signed off on by commission officials.[/quote']

Very well put points with legit concerns arising from them.

Wow.. I had no idea the result could be changed to a N/C. That's pretty crazy.

Somebody needs to get ahold of Mr. White or Mr. Ratner and see what they have to say about this.

It was also pointed out that Maia's hands didn't look to be taped at all. Is that personal choice' date=' or is it also required by the AC's?[/quote']

Most hands are wrapped to protect the fighters hands and prevent them getting broken. I believe it is a personal preference, but I will look further in to that to see if it is an actual rule....

Most hands are wrapped to protect the fighters hands and prevent them getting broken. I believe it is a personal preference' date=' but I will look further in to that to see if it is an actual rule....[/quote']

Cool.

I've never really noticed a fighter NOT having their hands taped.

I look forward to seeing what you can find.

Thanks, Brew.

Archived