Kenny Florian thanking his lucky stars

Marshall498

Once again someone immediately counting out Frankie Edgar, just like they did against BJ Penn. All of a sudden BJ Penn, the greatest lightweight on the planet is a chump? I know "styles make match ups" but this is getting ridiculous. Everyone counts out Edgar everytime he fights, even after he's won the belt. What does this guy have to do to get some credit?

I've got to agree with Rob_Lazarus. I mean Veach, Sherk, Penn, Spencer "the King" Fischer.... This guy has beaten big names @ 155. He's cut down everyone he's run up against except Maynard. Not bad for a Jersey boy that everybody (including Joe Rogan) said should drop down to 145 if he ever wants a chance @ winning a title.

Well then... Guess everybody was wrong.

Once again someone immediately counting out Frankie Edgar' date=' just like they did against BJ Penn. All of a sudden BJ Penn, the greatest lightweight on the planet is a chump? I know "styles make match ups" but this is getting ridiculous. Everyone counts out Edgar everytime he fights, even after he's won the belt. What does this guy have to do to get some credit?[/quote']

He needs to actually beat the champ, not get given the belt by poor judging.

Once again someone immediately counting out Frankie Edgar' date=' just like they did against BJ Penn. All of a sudden BJ Penn, the greatest lightweight on the planet is a chump? I know "styles make match ups" but this is getting ridiculous. Everyone counts out Edgar everytime he fights, even after he's won the belt. What does this guy have to do to get some credit?[/quote']

word

in the pre fight montage of frankie they said they count him out of every fight but he always pulls out the W

the guy just beat BJ ****IN PENN give him credit, i think id put my money on Frankie for the Frankie/Kenflo fight if it happens

He needs to actually beat the champ' date=' not get given the belt by poor judging.[/quote']

if you just watch the fight, and not look at landed strikes and all that (cuz you know the judges cant count them all) Frankie clearly won

if you wanna get statistical, sure BJ landed more shots and the numbers say he won

theres more to this sport than numbers my friends.

this is just another Lyoto/Shogun cept it went the other way

if BJ woulda won, people would be *****in about Edgar gettin robbed and an immediate rematch.

accept the outcome of the fight and get ready for the next event

I think a main reason ufc fans are counting him out is because he doesn't have a lot of finishes. But thats the beauty in it. He's just able to out class and point everyone and if you ask me that can beat a lot of different fighters.

With Edgar's cardio he's able to go 5 rounds without even worrying about it and doesn't always have to go in for that kill and risk getting taken out. He just works point aspect of mma.

True. Even though I like Edgar, I have him absolutely no chance at winning this fight. Stand up? Penn would knock him out and Edgar has no chance of doing the same. On the floor? Penn would submit him. Yet, he became champ. Not saying he is going to beat everyone, but never again will I count Edgar out.

Guy keeps getting better and impresses every time. Definitely made a fool out of me.

if you just watch the fight' date=' and not look at landed strikes and all that (cuz you know the judges cant count them all) Frankie clearly won

if you wanna get statistical, sure BJ landed more shots and the numbers say he won

theres more to this sport than numbers my friends.

this is just another Lyoto/Shogun cept it went the other way

if BJ woulda won, people would be *****in about Edgar gettin robbed and an immediate rematch.

accept the outcome of the fight and get ready for the next event[/quote']

Frankie moved around like a monkey(which obviously the judges thought was doing somthing) and scored two takedowns which he couldnt even capatalize on, bj won standing up landing more shots, how did he not win? everytime frankie came in, bj countered with a much nicer shot (from what i saw, altho it has been a day or two since the fight)

Frankie moved around like a monkey(which obviously the judges thought was doing somthing) and scored two takedowns which he couldnt even capatalize on' date=' bj won standing up landing more shots, how did he not win? everytime frankie came in, bj countered with a much nicer shot (from what i saw, altho it has been a day or two since the fight)[/quote']

Rashad/ Thiago Silva

rashad had many takedowns that he didnt do **** with, and silva got right back up

still counts as a takedown and still gets the points

the scoring for takedowns is flawed sure

but from just watchin the fight as it was, i saw frankie pick apart BJ from every angle.

he never stopped moving and BJ couldnt mount any real offense, it was Frankie pushing every time

Frankie moved around like a monkey(which obviously the judges thought was doing somthing) and scored two takedowns which he couldnt even capatalize on' date=' bj won standing up landing more shots, how did he not win? everytime frankie came in, bj countered with a much nicer shot (from what i saw, altho it has been a day or two since the fight)[/quote']

Honestly i think the main thing that got Edgar the win is the agression. He was the one always moving and attacking first if you look at it while BJ was mostly looking for counters.

I dont even want to get started on a debate about this, cause I'll just end up wasting my breath. The fact is this fight was not scored consistently with previous title fights. To become the champ you should beat the champ, simple as that. Edgar lost three rounds to two, and 1 takedown doesnt change that. Yes, 1 takedown, not 2. A takedown requires a person to secure a dominant position for it to count as anything. Regardless, it's just dispicable at how inconsistent the scoring as become in the ufc and the system is clearly flawed. People winning fights because of 1 takedown in 13 attempts, if thats the way this sport is going I may as well just quit while I'm ahead.

All that head movement doesn't mean ****. All it succeeded in doing was making BJ look gassed compared to Edgar's phenominal cardio, in no way does that translate to being the 'aggressor'. BJ took the center of the octagon and controlled the tempo for three rounds, and in a mediocre stand up fight like the one we just witnessed, that is enough to retain your belt. Don't give me **** about 'leaving it to the judges' because the judges are still supposed to get it right.

yeah man. kenny will be watching that tape over and over again and studying edgar. kenny will be the next LW champ... only to be dethroned by BJ in the future.

^ +1

WOOOO I 100% agree!! Frankie will avenge his loss to Maynard and Kenny will beat Edgar and we will see BJ Penn/Florian 2 and see Bj Penn on top once again... Frankie is great and looked good but at the same time Penn didnt look good on saturday he was drained and I didnt see the fire he has had in his previous two fights... BJ is the man and will be back on top very soon!

I dont even want to get started on a debate about this' date=' cause I'll just end up wasting my breath. The fact is this fight was not scored consistently with previous title fights. To become the champ you should beat the champ, simple as that. Edgar lost three rounds to two, and 1 takedown doesnt change that. Yes, 1 takedown, not 2. A takedown requires a person to secure a dominant position for it to count as anything. Regardless, it's just dispicable at how inconsistent the scoring as become in the ufc and the system is clearly flawed. People winning fights because of 1 takedown in 13 attempts, if thats the way this sport is going I may as well just quit while I'm ahead.

All that head movement doesn't mean ****. All it succeeded in doing was making BJ look gassed compared to Edgar's phenominal cardio, in no way does that translate to being the 'aggressor'. BJ took the center of the octagon and controlled the tempo for three rounds, and in a mediocre stand up fight like the one we just witnessed, that is enough to retain your belt. Don't give me **** about 'leaving it to the judges' because the judges are still supposed to get it right.[/quote']

Tbh that fight could of went either way...Such a close fight and i wouldn't be surprised if either fighter won.

Basically I'm not that pissed that BJ lost, even though I'm a huge fan of his. I'm pissed at the officiating recently in the UFC. I mean, if there was a definitive reason as to why BJ lost this fight and everyone knew the reason then I'd be fine. However, no one does...the only thing people can say is "man it was close, it could have gone either way." Na, forget that. I want to know who the hell won and why. Was it because he was the aggressor, was it because he landed more shots, was it because he secured the takedown; because I think BJ was the aggressor and I think BJ landed more shots, and I dont think a takedown that lasts 5 seconds should win you a belt. Thats the only thing that really gets me, at some times it seems they're picking a winner based on who they want to see win.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who feels this way, whether you're a BJ fan, an Edgar fan, a Machida fan, a Couture fan, and so on... these decisions are killing me. Please introduce a better system and please add some freakin yellow cards so when people start dancing around the ring a-la-Anderson Silva, you can physically show his ****, "hey there goes 10% of your money, keep pushing it jack ****."

He needs to actually beat the champ' date=' not get given the belt by poor judging.[/quote']

He did win. If he hadn't Penn would have griped. You could see by his body language at the end of the fight he knew he'd lost. If BJ can accept the fact then his fans should be able to too.

Basically I'm not that pissed that BJ lost' date=' even though I'm a huge fan of his. I'm pissed at the officiating recently in the UFC. I mean, if there was a definitive reason as to why BJ lost this fight and everyone knew the reason then I'd be fine. However, no one does...the only thing people can say is "man it was close, it could have gone either way." Na, forget that. I want to know who the hell won and why. Was it because he was the aggressor, was it because he landed more shots, was it because he secured the takedown; because I think BJ was the aggressor and I think BJ landed more shots, and I dont think a takedown that lasts 5 seconds should win you a belt. Thats the only thing that really gets me, at some times it seems they're picking a winner based on who they want to see win.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who feels this way, whether you're a BJ fan, an Edgar fan, a Machida fan, a Couture fan, and so on... these decisions are killing me. Please introduce a better system and please add some freakin yellow cards so when people start dancing around the ring a-la-Anderson Silva, you can physically show his ****, "hey there goes 10% of your money, keep pushing it jack ****."[/quote']

It was because he won more rounds. The judges scored it at the end of each round so the reason they gave Edgar one round might not be the same as the reason they gave him another round. You talk like they judged the fight as a whole after it was all over.

If that is the case then why did BJ's face look so much worse?

Here's how I see it.

BJ Penn complained after he got brutalized by St. Pierre. I think whether St. Pierre was greasing in that fight or not, it didn't make much difference. St. Pierre has a massive size advantage on Penn and outweighed him by like 30 lbs in that fight. That combined with his wrestling and pure athletic ability, I don't think greasing had much to do with it.

That said, if this were a poor decision, I think BJ would have complained. If he complains after he quits after the 4th round, he should complain about a close decision. He didn't, so I assume he thought he was beaten fair and square.

Archived