Working out and fasting

Vaseline

As part of my religion is to fast during a whole month, I need good advice.

A whole month of fasting, it starts from sunset to sunrise (that is the period we can eat). So basically during the day we must be fasting.

Now this causes a lot of problems for my workout and diet as it means I cannot eat and drink for a good proportion of the day.

Does anyone know anything that can be helpful to, at least, maintain body level during this month of fasting. If I am during my holidays, it means that I can sleep more during the day and stay up the nights (and eat). But I am not really sure what to do.

Any advice or suggestions?

(This isnt a religious thread so no discussing it)

I've seen my buddy drink a bit of water during training when he has to fast. If you can stay hydrated you should be able to do most of what you do now.

Well im pretty sure thats not allowed.. unless he really believed he would pass out

I would have to exclude cardio for a month and just stick to light weight training just to keep my body in shape

but my main problem comes from the diet and protein intake.

Make sure you get some carbs in before six am, also try hydrating liquids like gatorade. Also this a good time to completely destroy your protein supplement. Stock up on it. Probably avoid going to heavy though. I've almost passed out training while eating whole day. Make sure you don't die as well. (Very Important) What religion is that by the way, if you don't mind saying.

Make sure you get some carbs in before six am' date=' also try hydrating liquids like gatorade. Also this a good time to completely destroy your protein supplement. Stock up on it. Probably avoid going to heavy though. I've almost passed out training while eating whole day. Make sure you don't die as well. (Very Important) What religion is that by the way, if you don't mind saying.[/quote']

Thanks for the advice

cant wait stuffing my face with yummy carbs.

and gatorade?

i am muslim, the month of fasting is called ramadhan. im sure you have heard it

Thanks for the advice

cant wait stuffing my face with yummy carbs.

and gatorade?

i am muslim' date=' the month of fasting is called ramadhan. im sure you have heard it[/quote']

Gatorade can help put back electrolytes the body loses. Great for rehydrating. Yeah my country has a big Muslim community, my grandmother is actually Muslim. Didn't realise Ramadhan was that close, they normally have shows on tv about it.

Gatorade can help put back electrolytes the body loses. Great for rehydrating. Yeah my country has a big Muslim community' date=' my grandmother is actually Muslim. Didn't realise Ramadhan was that close, they normally have shows on tv about it.[/quote']

do you recommend any particular brand?

and tbh i really dont know when it is, just realised its been a while, i might aswell plan it out now

do you recommend any particular brand?

and tbh i really dont know when it is' date=' just realised its been a while, i might aswell plan it out now[/quote']

Or I see planning in advance. Cool. Any brand of what gatorade? Gatorade is the brand, different flavours. Sure some of the other members/ gym rats will be on soon and have some good advice for you. I'm a relatively new person to the weight training, so i'm pretty sure you can get some more informed advice soon.

I would research and look up anything Hakeem Olajuwon has to say on the subject. I grew up with a great level of admiration for the fact that he maintained a dominant NBA career while staying true to his Islamic beliefs during Rhamadan. He did it for 13 plus years so he has to have some sort of useful and applicable insight.

Simple carbs and lots of protein in the morning.

I wouldn't personally recomend gatorade, b/c of the sugar content. I'm a water guy myself.

Also, if you are going to get protein shake, make sure to get soy protein, not whey protein. Soy will stay with you longer as it takes longer to digest.

Also, make sure your protein does not contain creatine. You do not want to take creatine if you are not allowed to drink water.

Archived