Whats next for Frankie: Maynard? Florian? Someone else?

BioHazard8021

I dont mean to add to the influx of Edgar related threads, but i just got to thinking, you know, Gray Maynard is the only guy to beat Frankie Edgar. The UFC was really hesistant to give Gray the title shot against BJ because BJ was his coach on TUF, and The UFC has this thing against having coaches fight contestants.

But now that the barrier of BJ is out of the way (temporarily imo), i think the UFC will take advantage of the fact to set up a title fight and sell it as something like "the new champion takes on the only man to ever beat him."

And lets not forget about Kenny Florian. He's still in the mix too. He just had an impressve wn against Takanori Gomi, one of the best LWs in history. the UFC would probably be slow to pit Florian back up against BJ, but against Edgar... that's a different story.

Plus, i wonder if Diego would move back down now...

And we cant forget about the likes of Gomi, Tyson Griffin, and Clay Guida. This recent fight between Edgar and Penn adds a whole lot of spice to the UFC LW division, and the next 2 years are bound to be exciting.

What's gonna happen?

Give him Florian/Maynard. If BJ can beat another top contender then he gets the shot after one of those two. Florian has been tearing up LW with Penn being his only real obstacle, would make for an interesting fight. Maynard is the only person to beat Edgar so that fight could be hyped easily.

As long as BJ doesn't get an instant rematch I'll be happy.

good point about the Diego coming back down because I could definitely see that happening. I would like to see a rematch between Frank/BJ first, then Maynard, then Florian. I wouldn't be opposed to a maynard/florian fight to decide #1 contender but I think a rematch needs to transpire first.

I think if Maynard is going to get a title shot its not going to come off 2 spit decisions.

I think he should fight in a number one contendor match on the same card as Bj gets his rematch. Dont know if Florian will get back in time for that tho but Pellegrino and George Sotiropoulus wouldnt be bad oponents for him.

I think if Maynard is going to get a title shot its not going to come off 2 spit decisions.

I think he should fight in a number one contendor match on the same card as Bj gets his rematch. Dont know if Florian will get back in time for that tho but Pellegrino and George Sotiropoulus wouldnt be bad oponents for him.

I really dont think the UFC is going to do an immediate rematch with so many other options open to them. Right now i wanna see Maynard in there quickly against someone like Pellegrino, and if he wins in an impressive fashion, give him the shot.

I don't think BJ should get an immediate rematch, but based on the rumours floating around the internet it sounds like this is what is going to happen. If that's the case, Maynard should fight Florian for the #1 contender spot. Otherwise Maynard should get the first shot at Edgar seeing as how he's got a win over Frankie from just two years ago.

I want to see Penn get the shot, in fact I think he deserves the shot. Don't get me wrong, Edgar won that fight. But that just wasn't BJ, that was no where near what BJ is capable of.

I think BJ should get the chance to prove that he just wasn't in fighting shape that night. Sinus infection, weak training camp, whatever. Bj is going to come back and work his way back to that title in short order no matter who you put in Edgars face. BJ will be back, and he will be back with a vengeance. Just get it over with. Or move BJ back up to welterweight.

Hmmm...didn't anyone watch the Edgar - Griffen fight??? That fight needs to happen again in my opinion. Tyson Griffen is a beast and should not be underrated at all. i think if he fought edgar right now, he could win, and be the champ. Not only that, but defend it against most guys in the division as he is one fighter who is maturing into the future of that division. Yes, Edgar beat Sherk with a solid gameplan, but Tyson held his own against Sherk also. Why not Griffen against Florian or maynard? Lots of ways these fights could pan out, I just noticed though that in these threads knowbody mentioned Griffen.

Hmmm...didn't anyone watch the Edgar - Griffen fight??? That fight needs to happen again in my opinion. Tyson Griffen is a beast and should not be underrated at all. i think if he fought edgar right now' date=' he could win, and be the champ. Not only that, but defend it against most guys in the division as he is one fighter who is maturing into the future of that division. Yes, Edgar beat Sherk with a solid gameplan, but Tyson held his own against Sherk also. Why not Griffen against Florian or maynard? Lots of ways these fights could pan out, I just noticed though that in these threads knowbody mentioned Griffen.[/quote']

Griffin is definitely top 10 but his losses to Edgar and Sherk are keeping him out of title discussions for now. He's also scheduled to fight Evan Dunham at 115. If he looks good in that fight I'd say give him someone in the top 5 and if he wins that then the UFC may consider him as a title contender.

Archived