Chael Sonnen says that A.silva is a cancer to the company

UFCGOD1

Chael Sonnen is optimistic he'll get to fight middleweight champion Anderson Silva. But he also says he's a bit worried that it won't happen.

"I don't know if Anderson's going to accept," Sonnen told MMAjunkie.com (http://www.mmmajunkie.com).

UFC president Dana White on Wednesday told Jim Rome that Silva and Sonnen will face off in what would be the champions's seventh consecutive title defense. But there's a twist: after another lackluster fight against Demian Maia this past Saturday, Silva (26-4 MMA, 11-0 UFC) must deliver excitement or risk being cut from the organization.

Sonnen (24-10 MMA, 4-3 UFC) is happy to bait the champ ? again ? if it gets him the fight.

"The best I've seen, [silva is] a man of his word," Sonnen said of the proposed matchup. "If I hear that he agreed, I'll feel a lot better."

The middleweight champion is clearly on the ropes after the Maia fight, which served as the main event of UFC 112. Silva spent the first two rounds dancing around the cage and the last three in a near-constant backward shuffle.

In now trademark fashion, Sonnen said it's nothing new for Silva.

"[silva is] really good, he's really effective, and he's as unpleasing to watch as grass growing," Sonnen said. "That's why they called me to get rid of this cancer of the company."

Silva's camp declined to comment on the fight's possibility when contacted today by MMAjunkie.com.

Sonnen claims he's called out the middleweight champion for four years to no avail.

"Nobody has challenged Anderson Silva," Sonnen said. "Not one human being, not one interview. Go to what the kids call 'Google,' and prove me wrong. Show me one athlete in any weight class that's challenged this guy except me."

The West Linn, Ore., resident won a middleweight contender spot in February with a win over Nate Marquardt at UFC 109. He really perked up ears, though, when he went after Silva in the press and polarized fans with his no-nonsense talk.

"He won't even acknowledge the challenge," Sonnen said of the champion, who also holds a UFC record for most octagon wins with 11. "He just overlooks it like it's not happening. The first and only time he's ever acknowledged the challenge is on Feb. 7, 12 hours after I became the number one contender, he put out a press release stating seven different reasons he didn't think he should have to fight me."

White told Rome that Sonnen's wrestling-based style is the perfect antidote to the lackluster performances that ensue when Silva is paired with jiu-jitsu stylists.

Sonnen said it's more than that.

"What's different about me is that I acknowledge Anderson Silva's going to hit me and kick me," he said. "I acknowledge it's going to hurt a lot. But I don't care. I don't care if he hurts me. I'll go to the hospital later that night. But in that 25-minute period, he's going to be in a fight."

He said Silva's dance is just a ploy to get opponents to engage, and a ploy he's happy to follow.

"If he does it to me, it's going to work," Sonnen said. "It's going to make me angry, and I'm going to come after him. If he wants to throw those punches, by God throw them. But I'm going to walk straight through them."

A year ago, Sonnen was struggling to gain traction in the UFC after a unsuccessful run in the promotion between 2005 and 2006, but that position has changed with his recent performances.

If the fight materializes, Sonnen will work with his usual training partners at Team Quest as well as Xtreme Couture grappling coach Neil Melanson, who helped him prepare for Marquardt at UFC 109.

"He's one of those guys, you meet them very rarely but when you meet them, you hold onto them like a precious metal," Sonnen said. "He offered to help me. I don't have a lot of friends in this sport ? he's one of them."

Meanwhile, Sonnen continues to campaign for the Oregon House of Representatives and is currently in a fundraising cycle. He remains no-nonsense about the biggest opportunity of his career.

"I guarantee you between now and Aug. 7, I'll get hurt," Sonnen said. "I'll get sick. I'm sure I'll get a staph infection that seems to be the new wave throughout MMA ? oh, I have a staph infection, wah. When my music hits those speakers on Aug. 7, I will make that walk.

"That's a tremendous difference between me and the prima donnas who like to see their names on posters but are not r

hahahahha i want to see sonnen say that in a interview.... he is hilarious

hope silva puts on a good show.....

sonnen will probably try his best to make it a good fight.

no doubt he'll try his best, and it'll be fun listening to the build up for this fight. He's gonna get shut down though..

I don't get Dana. Silva has been asking for big fights forever and this is all they're giving him? Then Dana complains about his fights not being entertaining and threatens him?

This is a disaster waiting to happen... I think Dana and Silva are actually going to fight backstage after that fight

I, like the rest of you like Silva's chances, he is without a doubt one of the best fighters in the world. But, with that said, I believe Sonnen has the style, skill, edge, competitiveness, and will to beat Silva and I for one would love to see Silva get knocked down a peg.

I don't get Dana. Silva has been asking for big fights forever and this is all they're giving him? Then Dana complains about his fights not being entertaining and threatens him?

This is a disaster waiting to happen... I think Dana and Silva are actually going to fight backstage after that fight

Dana said after the Maia fight that Silva doesn't deserve super-fights until he puts on a show. It is a punishent of sorts for his lackluster performance at 112.

I just read that on MMA junkie you beat me to posting

Anderson is going to Knock him out cold. (26-4) - 11-0 in the UFC...

Chael Sonnen (24-10) 4-3 in the UFC...

If Hendo couldn't beat Silva what makes you think Chael will.

that will be Silva's 12th win in the UFC

I just read that on MMA junkie you beat me to posting

Anderson is going to Knock him out cold. (26-4) - 11-0 in the UFC...

Chael Sonnen (24-10) 4-3 in the UFC...

If Hendo couldn't beat Silva what makes you think Chael will.

that will be Silva's 12th win in the UFC

Hendo thinks hes a striker. Sonnen sticks to game plans and WILL take Silva down. I'll be here August 8th to say I told you so if/when Silva loses.

Why is everyone crying about Anderson Dancing around for 5 rounds' date=' When GSP bump and Grind for 5 rounds as well and everyone loves that?[/quote']

Lol i Love you GSP hates, go watch another sport if you dont like ground game, all I have to say to you, Im not wasting my time.

Lol i Love you GSP hates' date=' go watch another sport if you dont like ground game, all I have to say to you, Im not wasting my time.[/quote']

I think you should go watch a gay p o r n film if you like 2 guys rolling on the ground for 25 minutes ... A

man trying to have sex with another man for 25 minutes is not what i m into , but whatever floats your boat

Chael Sonnen is optimistic he'll get to fight middleweight champion Anderson Silva. But he also says he's a bit worried that it won't happen.

"I don't know if Anderson's going to accept' date='" Sonnen told MMAjunkie.com (http://www.mmmajunkie.com).

UFC president Dana White on Wednesday told Jim Rome that Silva and Sonnen will face off in what would be the champions's seventh consecutive title defense. But there's a twist: after another lackluster fight against Demian Maia this past Saturday, Silva (26-4 MMA, 11-0 UFC) must deliver excitement or risk being cut from the organization.

Sonnen (24-10 MMA, 4-3 UFC) is happy to bait the champ ? again ? if it gets him the fight.

"The best I've seen, [silva is'] a man of his word," Sonnen said of the proposed matchup. "If I hear that he agreed, I'll feel a lot better."

The middleweight champion is clearly on the ropes after the Maia fight, which served as the main event of UFC 112. Silva spent the first two rounds dancing around the cage and the last three in a near-constant backward shuffle.

In now trademark fashion, Sonnen said it's nothing new for Silva.

"[silva is] really good, he's really effective, and he's as unpleasing to watch as grass growing," Sonnen said. "That's why they called me to get rid of this cancer of the company."

Silva's camp declined to comment on the fight's possibility when contacted today by MMAjunkie.com.

Sonnen claims he's called out the middleweight champion for four years to no avail.

"Nobody has challenged Anderson Silva," Sonnen said. "Not one human being, not one interview. Go to what the kids call 'Google,' and prove me wrong. Show me one athlete in any weight class that's challenged this guy except me."

The West Linn, Ore., resident won a middleweight contender spot in February with a win over Nate Marquardt at UFC 109. He really perked up ears, though, when he went after Silva in the press and polarized fans with his no-nonsense talk.

"He won't even acknowledge the challenge," Sonnen said of the champion, who also holds a UFC record for most octagon wins with 11. "He just overlooks it like it's not happening. The first and only time he's ever acknowledged the challenge is on Feb. 7, 12 hours after I became the number one contender, he put out a press release stating seven different reasons he didn't think he should have to fight me."

White told Rome that Sonnen's wrestling-based style is the perfect antidote to the lackluster performances that ensue when Silva is paired with jiu-jitsu stylists.

Sonnen said it's more than that.

"What's different about me is that I acknowledge Anderson Silva's going to hit me and kick me," he said. "I acknowledge it's going to hurt a lot. But I don't care. I don't care if he hurts me. I'll go to the hospital later that night. But in that 25-minute period, he's going to be in a fight."

He said Silva's dance is just a ploy to get opponents to engage, and a ploy he's happy to follow.

"If he does it to me, it's going to work," Sonnen said. "It's going to make me angry, and I'm going to come after him. If he wants to throw those punches, by God throw them. But I'm going to walk straight through them."

A year ago, Sonnen was struggling to gain traction in the UFC after a unsuccessful run in the promotion between 2005 and 2006, but that position has changed with his recent performances.

If the fight materializes, Sonnen will work with his usual training partners at Team Quest as well as Xtreme Couture grappling coach Neil Melanson, who helped him prepare for Marquardt at UFC 109.

"He's one of those guys, you meet them very rarely but when you meet them, you hold onto them like a precious metal," Sonnen said. "He offered to help me. I don't have a lot of friends in this sport ? he's one of them."

Meanwhile, Sonnen continues to campaign for the Oregon House of Representatives and is currently in a fundraising cycle. He remains no-nonsense about the biggest opportunity of his career.

"I guarantee you between now and Aug. 7, I'll get hurt," Sonnen said. "I'll get sick. I'm sure I'll get a staph infection that seems to be the new wave throughout MMA ? oh, I have a staph infection, wah. When my music hits those speakers on Aug. 7, I will make that walk.

"That's a tremendous difference between me and the prima donnas who like to see their names on posters but are not r

Sonnen doesn't deserve a chance to fight Silva... This fighter is second rate, and he wouldn't have even survived Maia... Silva shouldn't agree to this fight, and if Dna continues to match fighters against Silva that aren't qualified, he may be the one leaving UFC...

his fighting style is laying on people..

Taking a guy down against his will multiple times, passing the guard, getting the mount and the back repeatedly while punching him and throwing knees, attempting multiple submissions that would have made most opponents tap... is this what you're calling laying on people?

And if guti's analogy between grappling and sexual intercourse is accurate, GSP's opponents were all victims of rape and extreme sexual abuse. :(

Why is everyone crying about Anderson Dancing around for 5 rounds' date=' When GSP bump and Grind for 5 rounds as well and everyone loves that?[/quote']

AMEN BROTHA i think deep down gsp tackles and does nothing watch ufc 111..thats not a ground game... ground game = transition

it aint about hatin on gsp..he has had some good **** fights in the past... but now hes in a spot where silva is in...Holding the belt... defending it constantly so they do what they have to do to win...taking no chances

Taking a guy down against his will multiple times' date=' passing the guard, getting the mount and the back repeatedly while punching him and throwing knees, attempting multiple submissions that would have made most opponents tap... is this what you're calling laying on people?

And if guti's analogy between grappling and sexual intercourse is accurate, GSP's opponents were all victims of rape and extreme sexual abuse. :([/quote']

LOL if gsp did all that in ufc 111 he wouldent have won by decision... he would have won by submission or knock out, or just having the ref stopp the fight.. he did no such thing in his last fight... he wasnt taking any chances looked to me like he wasnt even trying to have a standup game that night..

NO ONE WILL TOP SILVAS STAND UP GAME the only fighter who stands a chance against silva is GSP and if he doesnt tackle him he will get knocked out FAST

If he does tackle him he wont be able to do ****...just like his last fight

I think Silva may be a great fighter' date=' but his arrogance kind of overshadows that.[/quote']

What arrogance? he showed off his talent in the first two rounds.. Tried telling the guy to hit him, cause he was annoyed with his lack of skill... and then he beet him up so bad that in the last 10 seconds of the third round he couldnt even stand to hit him after he seen all that blood pooring from his face... he looks at him and says wait for the clock and points to the time left like IM DUN BEETING UP ON U u might want to rewatch the fight if u have doubts about this

Taking a guy down against his will multiple times' date=' passing the guard, getting the mount and the back repeatedly while punching him and throwing knees, attempting multiple submissions that would have made most opponents tap... is this what you're calling laying on people?

And if guti's analogy between grappling and sexual intercourse is accurate, GSP's opponents were all victims of rape and extreme sexual abuse. :([/quote']

when has chael sonnen attempted a submission? chael sonnen doesnt even know how 2 get out of a submission let alone try 2 submit some 1 and he didnt even try any of the above lol

when has chael sonnen attempted a submission? chael sonnen doesnt even know how 2 get out of a submission let alone try 2 submit some 1 and he didnt even try any of the above lol

I think he was talking about GSP there...

Anyways, I don't like GSP's fight style that much but he is still a great fighter, Chael Sonnen on the other hand, doesn't stand a chance at all...

Silva will knee his head while shooting and submit his wrestling a s s ....

I think he was talking about GSP there...

Anyways' date=' I don't like GSP's fight style that much but he is still a great fighter, Chael Sonnen on the other hand, doesn't stand a chance at all...

Silva will knee his head while shooting and submit his wrestling a s s ....[/quote']

yea i thought so..ur right he doesnt stand a chance..silva is good on the ground, probably better than nate

What exactly then' date=' from what I have said, didn't he do?[/quote']

he didnt land any critical fight ending shots or submissions he sat on him and tried his damndist but didnt acomplish **** if he had such a good ground game he would be able to finish him like it was nothing

yea i thought so..ur right he doesnt stand a chance..silva is good on the ground' date=' probably better than nate[/quote']

i am the biggest silva fan ever and i never really see silva on the ground you say he is good but damnit i wanna see it i bet he has prolly been working on his takedown defence so much that we won see him on the ground anytime soon unless dana mans up and lets him fight gsp i hope anderson cuts weight anyways and gets in that weight class wtf would dana do then

As others pointed out I was talking about GSP. Misunderstood one of your posts, stupid me :P

I agree with you Sonnen though.

i am the biggest silva fan ever and i never really see silva on the ground you say he is good but damnit i wanna see it i bet he has prolly been working on his takedown defence so much that we won see him on the ground anytime soon unless dana mans up and lets him fight gsp i hope anderson cuts weight anyways and gets in that weight class wtf would dana do then

he submitted dan henderson and travis lutter and is a black belt under big nog

Is Sonnen serious with this. I understand he is trying to get his shot at the belt but, is pissing Anderson off really the way you want to do it? Plus, him calling Anderson's fights boring is kinda like the tee pot calling the kettle black. I would venture to guess Anderson hasn't acknowledge this fight because he doesn't think Sonnesn is on his level and I would have to agree. Silva easily finished Marquardt with basicly one punch and Sonnen was unable to finish him so, I'm guessing thats why Anderson isn't overly excited about this fight. Dana White is an **** clown and if they cut Silva for doing to Maia for the last 2 rounds, what Maia did to him for the first 3, then they will have to cut GSP and Lesnar too because these two stall more than anybody, imo. The man has become bored with the fights they are giving him so, they need to give him the big fights he is asking for. But, once again Dana is going to protect GSP as much as possible.

he submitted dan henderson and travis lutter and is a black belt under big nog

Yea i remember that lutter fight...wasnt he the only one who came close to beetin silva..he had him somehow but couldnt finish or make him tap or something he was on top of silva pounding him or something its like wtf how can he do that and all these guys like griffen cant do **** against silva lol big nog haha sounds like that is spiderlike!

Yea i remember that lutter fight...wasnt he the only one who came close to beetin silva..he had him somehow but couldnt finish or make him tap or something he was on top of silva pounding him or something its like wtf how can he do that and all these guys like griffen cant do **** against silva lol big nog haha sounds like that is spiderlike!

Lutter did really well if only he could have come to the fight in shape. He weighed in at 187 they gave him 2 hours to get the weight off and he couldn't. He was visibly exhausted from the failed cut on fight night. Not trying to make excuses, but the guy who gave Silva his biggest scare, was out of shape and went for a lazy arm bar.

hahahahha i want to see sonnen say that in a interview.... he is hilarious

hope silva puts on a good show.....

sonnen will probably try his best to make it a good fight.

I think thats the whole thing people are missing! Sonnen might go in there and get ran threw, ko'd, what ever. What you wont see is a boring fight because Sonnen will attack and will atleast try to fight and try to win!

Spot on, its dana's fault for a boring fight and he should have behaved more professionally

Lutter had Silva beat... but he gasses because he didn't make weight and didn't have the energy to get out of the first, but he had Silva in the mount and was pounding him, Silva couldn't do anything and then Lutter went for a stupid arm bar because he was too tired and ended up just falling over without it locked in. Thats why I think that Sonnen can win. He needs to get a lucky takedown and get the side control and chip at him and wear him down. No one has been able to test Andersons' stamina and if Sonnen does I think Anderson won't have a large enough gas tank to go the distance... key word there is "if"

Lutter had Silva beat... but he gasses because he didn't make weight and didn't have the energy to get out of the first' date=' but he had Silva in the mount and was pounding him, Silva couldn't do anything and then Lutter went for a stupid arm bar because he was too tired and ended up just falling over without it locked in. Thats why I think that Sonnen can win. He needs to get a lucky takedown and get the side control and chip at him and wear him down. No one has been able to test Andersons' stamina and if Sonnen does I think Anderson won't have a large enough gas tank to go the distance... key word there is "if"[/quote']

Ur an **** clown. Silva peeled Lutter out of that mount by kicking his legs up and pulling him back with his heels and Lutter did no damage with that gnp, not even sure he landed 90% of them. Lutter was alway a great fighter but, was never in shape. Not like this was the first fight he showed up all flabby for. Then you talk about Sonnen having enough cardio to wear Silva out. When is the last time Sonnen fought a 5 round fight? Chael has obviously shown his wife or dad how to use the internet.

Open your eyes! Can't you see this is phase one of the UFC -> WWE transition?? Look at all this drama because a fighter isn't making his fights exciting.

I really think that, even though I think that your joking, we are making most of the drama. Sure Dana was pissed and Sonnen is a loud mouth. We really just see the same 2 clips, or read the same interview and argue about it until it is so blown out of proportion that we think it's over hyped. It would be like a hockey coach being pissed because his team slacked off and talking to the press after. We are the drama and they advertise the fights like they should. Some fights don't even have as much trash talking as we say they do. And some people actaully hate each other when they go into the octagon ( Tito vs Shammy) This is a sport and it isn't any different then all the others. In this day and age when the internet is soo accessable, the smallest can become game changing. We are the Drama people... and I kinda like it.

(IMO)

I really think that' date=' even though I think that your joking, we are making most of the drama. Sure Dana was pissed and Sonnen is a loud mouth. We really just see the same 2 clips, or read the same interview and argue about it until it is so blown out of proportion that we think it's over hyped. It would be like a hockey coach being pissed because his team slacked off and talking to the press after. We are the drama and they advertise the fights like they should. Some fights don't even have as much trash talking as we say they do. And some people actaully hate each other when they go into the octagon ( Tito vs Shammy) This is a sport and it isn't any different then all the others. In this day and age when the internet is soo accessable, the smallest can become game changing. We are the Drama people... and I kinda like it.

(IMO)[/quote']

No, this would be like the commisioner of the NFL telling a team they are running the ball too much and its boring. So, they need to start throwing it more. Dana is treading a very fine line between pushing fighters and controlling the outcome of fights. Imo, the UFC just isn't popular enought yet to withstand the widespread belief that Dana is controlling the outcome of fights.

Ur an **** clown. Silva peeled Lutter out of that mount by kicking his legs up and pulling him back with his heels and Lutter did no damage with that gnp' date=' not even sure he landed 90% of them. Lutter was alway a great fighter but, was never in shape. Not like this was the first fight he showed up all flabby for. Then you talk about Sonnen having enough cardio to wear Silva out. When is the last time Sonnen fought a 5 round fight? Chael has obviously shown his wife or dad how to use the internet.[/quote']

HAHAHAHA rewatch the fight before you call me a clown... http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=9586323049

There you go, I found it for you... So what you're telling me is someone who is on top throwing down punches like that who didn't have to cut the weight wouldn't be able to do some damage. Peeling him back my ****. Lutter could have easily pushed the foot off his shoulder and kept swining, but went for a stupid arm and while Silva was trying to escape... It doesn't matter in the end because Lutter lost but he definatly was doing damage with the punches, easily could be doing more if he did cut weight and it's clear he goes for a sloppy arm bar when he had him beat...

Archived