Overeem vs Rogers...huh?

Yerbo

So Alistair Overeem, the non-fighting, 'roid using Strikeforce HW champion is defending his title against Brett Rogers, the man who lost his last fight to Fedor. Why is Fedor not fighting Overeem? What is the logic here? I get the feeling I'm missing something because it seems not to make sense.

So Alistair Overeem' date=' the non-fighting, 'roid using Strikeforce HW champion is defending his title against Brett Rogers, the man who lost his last fight to Fedor. Why is Fedor not fighting Overeem? What is the logic here? I get the feeling I'm missing something because it seems not to make sense.[/quote']

Overeem is only the Strikeforce Champion.\

Fedor is the world number one.

So Alistair Overeem' date=' the non-fighting, 'roid using Strikeforce HW champion is defending his title against Brett Rogers, the man who lost his last fight to Fedor. Why is Fedor not fighting Overeem? What is the logic here? I get the feeling I'm missing something because it seems not to make sense.[/quote']

Yea dosent make much sense..... And people think the title shot process in the UFC is messed up, this takes the cake.

Simply put' date=' Fedor won't fight a man who almost certainly uses steroids. Rogers will because he needs a big name fight to get the rematch with Fedor he desperately wants. Look I nailed it in two sentences. Case closed.[/quote']

Although Fedor wants/wanted to fight Josh Barnett a 3x busted steroid user?

http://www.mmamania.com/2009/05/26/fedor-emelianenko-vs-josh-barnett-confirmed-for-affliction-3-on-aug-1/

Well Fedor should retire then because with that logic no one is good enough to fight the "so called" world num 1

If you ever decide to get into MMA you will learn that Fedor owns Strikeforce, and will not compete for the title of an organistaion he owns,

I know its confusing for you.

Thats whythey invented TUF.

For kids just like you!

Although Fedor wants/wanted to fight Josh Barnett a 3x busted steroid user?

Show me something where Fedor said he wants to fight Barnett. To my knowledge it's been Barnett chasing Fedor around the world.

Nice quick edit you did there. Still nothing in that article about steroids or Fedor wanting the fight. He accepted it, Barnett failed the test, fight's off. Nothing there.

Show me something where Fedor said he wants to fight Barnett. To my knowledge it's been Barnett chasing Fedor around the world.

It was a signed fight for Affliction right before they folded shop because Barnett once again failed a steroid test.

If you ever decide to get into MMA you will learn that Fedor owns Strikeforce' date=' and will not compete for the title of an organistaion he owns,

For kids just like you![/quote']

Thats the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

I'm glad that this is the title bout. Everyone already knows Fedor is the P4P king. He is basically the unofficial SF HW champ and we all know it. I think it's good he isn't going to get the actual Strikeforce title because what would him holding that belt prove to us? It wouldn't make me think he is any better than he already is, belt or not. Now a belt in the UFC would make a difference.

If you ever decide to get into MMA you will learn that Fedor owns Strikeforce' date=' and will not compete for the title of an organistaion he owns,

Fedor does not own Strike Force. How many times are you going to post that? Its ironic you call others names when you yourself have no frikin clue..

He is part owner of M1-Global who co-promotes with Strike Force when Fedor fights. What the pres of M1 said abut the situation is that as Fedor is not a signed property of Strike Force it would not seem proper to be fighting for that belt.

Fedor does not own Strike Force. How many times are you going to post that? Its ironic you call others names when you yourself have no frikin clue..

He is part owner of M1-Global who co-promotes with Strike Force when Fedor fights. What the pres of M1 said abut the situation is that as Fedor is not a signed property of Strike Force it would not seem proper to be fighting for that belt.

This makes sense...thanks. So basically Fedor is not a Strikeforce fighter he's an M1 fighter fighting Strikeforce fighters hence can't very well be Strikeforce champion.

It's alright guys, cause the "p4p best fighter in the world" only fights 1 time a year and it's never for a belt. Oh wait, he's fighting Fabricio Werdum at the end of June. Awesome, the fight that every MMA fan has been asking for. I mean sure he got choked out by "the lesser Emelianenko" but this fight should be far more competitive then that...

They need to invent a show for you ,because you obviously are delusional.

Fedor was at one point the greatest but since he is afraid to fight ant legit competition

I'd have to say he's about as legit to fighting as you are to mma opinions.

Good call with the hendo and mousassi needs to happen too genius

They need to invent a show for you ' date='because you obviously are delusional.

Fedor was at one point the greatest but since he is afraid to fight ant legit competition

I'd have to say he's about as legit to fighting as you are to mma opinions.

Good call with the hendo and mousassi needs to happen too genius[/quote']

No sir you are delusional

Hard to have Fedor fight at all when his management has him re-negotiating his contract 1 fight into a 3 fight deal! Fedor is an M1 lacky that does exactly what they tell him and nothing more. I am a fan of his fights, but his business sense/choice of management will forever stain what would have been an amazing career. Hard to justify his #1 HW/#1 P4P fighter status when he isn't competing against Top 3-5 contenders on a regular basis. This is just another reason SF will go under in the next year or so, nothing about their matchmaking makes much sense!

I'm glad that this is the title bout. Everyone already knows Fedor is the P4P king. He is basically the unofficial SF HW champ and we all know it. I think it's good he isn't going to get the actual Strikeforce title because what would him holding that belt prove to us? It wouldn't make me think he is any better than he already is' date=' belt or not. Now a belt in the UFC would make a difference.[/quote']

People who argue "everyone already knows Fedor is the #1 guy in the world so why does he have to prove it" make me laugh. That is up for argument, as he hasn't fought the Top HWs in the sport on a consistent basis since he fought in Pride. If he was the #1 P4P king, and cared about who he fought more then how much money he can make doing co-promotions with M1 wouldn't he be fighting in the Elite MMA company in the world right now?

fedor doesnt want a belt of any orginzation ' date=' he would have to lock into a contract and fight only thier guys and defend that belt. As it stands he can fight any champion that wants to fight him.[/quote']

SF lets their guys fight all over the place. Overeem hasn't defended his HW belt in almost 2 years because he has been fighting all over Europe. If Fedor had the title he could still do his Sambo contests etc etc. Saying he doesn't want a belt, but can fight any Champ he wants if he doesn't have a belt makes no sense.

I just realised something' date=' Mousasi was an M1 managed fighter also until just recently yet he was a Strikeforce champion. So the whole Fedor is M1 so Strikeforce doesn't want him as a champion thing doesn't appear to be the reason.[/quote']

When you are dealing with M1 Global things usually don't make sense.

Overeem has 11 losses, & some to much smaller men > not considered a true challenge for Fedor .. rather see Overeem vs Barnett or Silva <

Loss Mauricio Rua KO (Punches) PRIDE 33 - Second Coming 2/24/2007 1 3:37

Loss Ricardo Arona Submission (Punches) PRIDE - Final Conflict Absolute 9/10/2006 1 4:28

Loss Antonio Rogerio Nogueira TKO (Corner Stoppage) PRIDE - Critical Countdown Absolute 7/1/2006 2 2:13

Loss Fabricio Werdum Submission (Kimura) PRIDE - Total Elimination Absolute 5/5/2006 2 3:4

Loss Mauricio Rua TKO (Punches) PRIDE - Final Conflict 2005 8/28/2005 1 6:42

Loss Antonio Rogerio Nogueira Decision (Unanimous) PRIDE 29 - Fists Of Fire 2/20/2005 3 5:00

Loss Chuck Liddell KO (Punches) PRIDE - Total Elimination 2003 8/10/2003 1 3:09

Overeem has 11 losses' date=' & some to much smaller men > not considered a true challenge for Fedor .. rather see Overeem vs Barnett or Silva <

Loss Mauricio Rua KO (Punches) PRIDE 33 - Second Coming 2/24/2007 1 3:37

Loss Ricardo Arona Submission (Punches) PRIDE - Final Conflict Absolute 9/10/2006 1 4:28

Loss Antonio Rogerio Nogueira TKO (Corner Stoppage) PRIDE - Critical Countdown Absolute 7/1/2006 2 2:13

Loss Fabricio Werdum Submission (Kimura) PRIDE - Total Elimination Absolute 5/5/2006 2 3:4

Loss Mauricio Rua TKO (Punches) PRIDE - Final Conflict 2005 8/28/2005 1 6:42

Loss Antonio Rogerio Nogueira Decision (Unanimous) PRIDE 29 - Fists Of Fire 2/20/2005 3 5:00

Loss Chuck Liddell KO (Punches) PRIDE - Total Elimination 2003 8/10/2003 1 3:09[/quote']

Yet Werdum is...please

or if that falls through Big Foot Silva is.

Ya ok.

Cdfgrace and anderson silva fought top level opponents? fedor beat ufc ex champs' date=' and top competition[/quote']

Why do we need the comparison? You said it yourself EX ufc champs, and I said he has fought Top competition but to be considered #1 HW or #1 P4P you should be beating Top 3 guys everytime you fight imo, and he hasn't been doing that recently. If you get right down to the nitty gritty realistically GSP has faced more Top competition over the last 2 years then any other active fighter, so in your thinking he should be #1 P4P? Can't we agree that Fedor isn't fighting the best caliber opponents available to him since he is fighting outside the UFC?

Why do we need the comparison? You said it yourself EX ufc champs' date=' and I said he has fought Top competition but to be considered #1 HW or #1 P4P you should be beating Top 3 guys everytime you fight imo, and he hasn't been doing that recently. If you get right down to the nitty gritty realistically GSP has faced more Top competition over the last 2 years then any other active fighter, so in your thinking he should be #1 P4P? Can't we agree that Fedor isn't fighting the best caliber opponents available to him since he is fighting outside the UFC?[/quote']

Your wasting your time bro. The Fedor nation will not agree to anything that tarnishes Fedor's reputation. In some convoluted way by the time Werdum fights Fedor he will magically be a top 5 HW, possible even top 3.

actually there r top fighters outside the ufc...yea gsp fought top competition like fitch and hardy...gsp shouldnt be on the p4p list in any case

lol and why is that? He has faced better competition than pretty much any other champ in any weight class in any organization in the last couple years and dominated them all with out losing a single round as champ.

first of all gsp relies on his wrestling and is afriad 2 take risks..thats why penn and fedor r great fighters they go out of there comfort zone' date=' gsp doesnt..great fighters take risks...we all know gsp game plan in every fight[/quote']

What risks does Penn take? He is (or was) considered to have some of the best boxing in MMA. So him boxing is taking a risk? News flash for ya, fighting in an area considered to be to your advantage is not risk taking.

Hate to break it to ya but Penn is 6-4 in his last 10 fights. Hardly a P4P worthy record.

he is still a good fighter..but not on the p4p list

I challenge you to find a SINGLE reputable MMA website or magazine that doesn't have GSP in the top 3 P4P rankings. I'll wait.

first of all gsp relies on his wrestling and is afriad 2 take risks..thats why penn and fedor r great fighters they go out of there comfort zone' date=' gsp doesnt..
great fighters take risks
...we all know gsp game plan in every fight

If this is true then why has Fedor been fighting sub par competition for the past 5 years???

What risks does Penn take? He is (or was) considered to have some of the best boxing in MMA. So him boxing is taking a risk? News flash for ya' date=' fighting in an area considered to be to your advantage is not risk taking.

Hate to break it to ya but Penn is 6-4 in his last 10 fights. Hardly a P4P worthy record.[/quote']

yes it is considering his ground game is fantastic and could easily submit any 1..i didnt say penn was on the p4p list...i said he is a great fighter, news flash buddy the fight game is about taking risks cementing a legacy..gsp is a good fighter, but is afriad..using ur logic u should admit fedor is p4p greatest fighter since all the sites list him as that? :D

yes it is considering his ground game is fantastic and could easily submit any 1..i didnt say penn was on the p4p list...i said he is a great fighter' date=' news flash buddy the fight game is about taking risks cementing a legacy..gsp is a good fighter, but is afriad[/quote']

Still waiting.

Yet Werdum is...please

or if that falls through Big Foot Silva is.

Ya ok.

... I get tired of repeating this > werdum is primarily a ground fighter & still has 2 tko wins

over a prime gonzaga' date=' he also lost a close decision to a prime nogueira '06 ... now naturally you will fall back on his loss to cigano > he caught werdum early w/ a good upper-cut & the follow-up was behind the head, thats fine & a good legit win by JDS, but to judge werdum on that fight is ridiculous -shiat happens .... also werdum was not let go by the ufc, he walked after a suggested pay-cut . (check-out werdums wiki-credentials)

... Bigfoot does have alot to prove, but he is widely regarded as under-rated & a very good

bjj-practioner out of American Top Team I believe ... I admit he looked a bit too cautious & lethargic vs werdum ...

[img']http://i38.tinypic.com/246jdoj.jpg[/img]

... I get tired of repeating this > werdum is primarily a ground fighter & still has 2 tko wins

over a prime gonzaga' date=' he also lost a close decision to a prime nogueira '06 ... now naturally you will fall back on his loss to cigano > he caught werdum early w/ a good upper-cut & the follow-up was behind the head, thats fine & a good legit win by JDS, but to judge werdum on that fight is ridiculous -shiat happens .... also werdum was not let go by the ufc, he walked after a suggested pay-cut . (check-out werdums wiki-credentials)

... Bigfoot does have alot to prove, but he is widely regarded as under-rated & a very good

bjj-practioner out of American Top Team I believe ... I admit he looked a bit too cautious & lethargic vs werdum ...

Sorry man, but you can not in one breath say Overeem isn't worthy of a fight with Fedor and then say Werdum is a legit and dangerous opponent and have me take you seriously.

I don;t think either are worthy for that matter. I'd rather see Arlovski have another go. He was giving Fedor all he wanted until he decided to channel some kung fu master and throw the flying knee.

Sorry man' date=' but you can not in one breath say Overeem isn't worthy of a fight with Fedor and then say Werdum is a legit and dangerous opponent and have me take you seriously.

I don;t think either are worthy for that matter. I'd rather see Arlovski have another go. He was giving Fedor all he wanted until he decided to channel some kung fu master and throw the flying knee.[/quote']

Oh come on man, he just proved it to you...... He beat Gonzaga!!!!!!......and lost to prime nog!!!!!!!!!!.... everyone knows thats all you need to be a legit contender to Fedors imaginary throne.:P

lol kung fu master...god man ur trying 2 discredit fedor in any way

Sigh Music. Just sigh.

Arlovski was doing well or as well as anyone has against Fedor.

He got stupid and came at Fedor with a flying knee and got KTFO.

Beside which' date=' I don't know that I have ever said Fedor [i']wasn't[/i] the top HW.

Oh, still waiting for the link to a site that doesn't list GSP as a top P4P fighter to prove your point, or at least validate your opinion.

Hell, even Sherdog the lovers of all things BJ Penn has GSP at #3. Above Fedor btw.

Before you freak out, their opinion not mine.

actually there r top fighters outside the ufc...yea gsp fought top competition like fitch and hardy...gsp shouldnt be on the p4p list in any case

I never said there wasn't good or even great fighters outside the UFC. But at the moment in the HW division at least the UFC has 6 of the Top 7 HW fighters on its roster according to Sherdog' date=' and yes your beloved Fedor is still ranked #1, mostly due to keeping an undefeated streak alive fighting lower tiered competition with the odd Top 10 HW thrown in the mix. As for GSP check the rankings he has beaten 5 of the current Top 10 WW fighters, and 3 of the current Top 10 P4P. Pretty impressive resume!

Your wasting your time bro. The Fedor nation will not agree to anything that tarnishes Fedor's reputation. In some convoluted way by the time Werdum fights Fedor he will magically be a top 5 HW, possible even top 3.

I know don't understand it, why can't people just admit it when certain things are fishy about a fighter such as I don't know the #1 HW in the world not signing with the #1 fight company? Yeah Werdum will magically jump from #10 to #2 by the time they fight but only on the forums not on anybodies actual rankings.

first of all gsp relies on his wrestling and is afriad 2 take risks..thats why penn and fedor r great fighters they go out of there comfort zone' date=' gsp doesnt..great fighters take risks...we all know gsp game plan in every fight[/quote']

Fedor has the same plan every fight as well, which he kinda copied from Big Nog and Rocky. Take a beating and then hopefully find a way to finish your opponent, I'll admit it has worked out pretty good for him so far, but Rogers came awful close to exposing Fedor as just another guy, not some MMA God. Look what happened to Penn in his last fight going out of his comfort zone, and countering instead of being the aggressor. He lost via UD. It's called fighting smart, and in my mind that makes a much better fighter in the long run. All those bombs add up eventually, just look at Big Nog these days people are starting to KO the unknockoutable!

yes it is considering his ground game is fantastic and could easily submit any 1..i didnt say penn was on the p4p list...i said he is a great fighter' date=' news flash buddy the fight game is about taking risks cementing a legacy..gsp is a good fighter, but is afriad..using ur logic u should admit fedor is p4p greatest fighter since all the sites list him as that? :D[/quote']

BJ has a great BJJ game as we all know, but recently he has become known more for his boxing then anything. You have to be careful when you say the fight game is about taking risks, to put it more intelligently I'd say it is about taking calculated risks and in doing so ensuring the pros outweigh the cons. GSP is hardly afraid he just knows where he stands the best chance of winning while minimizing damage to himself.

Werdum is indeed a good fighter and is currently ranked as the #10 HW, but since when does beating #10 ranked guys or lower elevate you higher in the rankings? Fedor needs to step it up so this argument can end one way or the other finally. If you're not consistantly fighting Top 3 or Top 5 guys you, imo, can't be ranked above guys who are.

I never said there wasn't good or even great fighters outside the UFC. But at the moment in the HW division at least the UFC has 6 of the Top 7 HW fighters on its roster according to Sherdog' date=' and yes your beloved Fedor is still ranked #1, mostly due to keeping an undefeated streak alive fighting lower tiered competition with the odd Top 10 HW thrown in the mix. As for GSP check the rankings he has beaten 5 of the current Top 10 WW fighters, and 3 of the current Top 10 P4P. Pretty impressive resume!

I know don't understand it, why can't people just admit it when certain things are fishy about a fighter such as I don't know the #1 HW in the world not signing with the #1 fight company? Yeah Werdum will magically jump from #10 to #2 by the time they fight but only on the forums not on anybodies actual rankings.

Fedor has the same plan every fight as well, which he kinda copied from Big Nog and Rocky. Take a beating and then hopefully find a way to finish your opponent, I'll admit it has worked out pretty good for him so far, but Rogers came awful close to exposing Fedor as just another guy, not some MMA God. Look what happened to Penn in his last fight going out of his comfort zone, and countering instead of being the aggressor. He lost via UD. It's called fighting smart, and in my mind that makes a much better fighter in the long run. All those bombs add up eventually, just look at Big Nog these days people are starting to KO the unknockoutable!

BJ has a great BJJ game as we all know, but recently he has become known more for his boxing then anything. You have to be careful when you say the fight game is about taking risks, to put it more intelligently I'd say it is about taking calculated risks and in doing so ensuring the pros outweigh the cons. GSP is hardly afraid he just knows where he stands the best chance of winning while minimizing damage to himself.

Werdum is indeed a good fighter and is currently ranked as the #10 HW, but since when does beating #10 ranked guys or lower elevate you higher in the rankings? Fedor needs to step it up so this argument can end one way or the other finally. If you're not consistantly fighting Top 3 or Top 5 guys you, imo, can't be ranked above guys who are.[/quote']

my point is that styles make fights, not rankings > werdum is 6'4"/ 245 and a legit

threat to fedor on the ground, unlike overeem or rogers .. anyone that stands w/ fedor is

on a bad path ... ( I do realize fedor has 16 subs, but I believe werdum still needs to take it to the mat in June)

Simply put' date=' Fedor won't fight a man who almost certainly uses steroids. Rogers will because he needs a big name fight to get the rematch with Fedor he desperately wants. Look I nailed it in two sentences. Case closed.[/quote']

No.

Fedor has on more then one occasion fought people that had been busted in the past for Roid use. He has fought people without requiring them to take drug tests.

His excuse for not accepting a fight with Overeem is just that.. and excuse. Past history doesn't lie and he's been willing to fight juice monkeys in the past. So why is this one different?

Fedor is willing to fight Bigfoot Silva (ranked 19th in the HW division and has also been suspended in north america for banned substences) right now..... so again... his excuse for Overeem is an excuse to hide some other reason.

Archived