Too critical?

Megasoup

Am I being too critical?

Alright, my 19-year old brother in-law (I'm 31) gets it all, and I'm jealous. There's the disclaimer. He got a brand new car from his grandma, she provides him with a 3 bedroom house that he shares with a roommate (rent free,) tuition is paid for (which I agree with, but am still jealous.) He has all the video games and big screen tv's and guitars and on and on and on.

I moved out at 16 and had to eat ****. I wouldn't have wished my situation on anyone, and I don't believe I'm better for it. I hope I can provide for my children like his rich grandma does him, but I'm jealous.

Here's where I'm critical. He has all the MMA stuff too. He's a 6 footer and a 200 pounder, like me, soft as hell though. Like his father, all his friends are really small, I'm assuming he gravitates towards little people because larger males, or even average-sized males intimidate him. He knows deep inside who he really is. Anyway, he likes to hit the mitts with them, he likes to spar them and wrestle around with these pint sized guys who have no experience. He won't do it with me (I fight and train,) He won't go to an actual gym either. Has never stepped foot in one. He's a coward.

It's not like he'd be thrown to the wolves, either. I've given him some jiu jitsu lessons (which I'm no master,) and some boxing lessons (which I AM the master) and he'll have the size and weight advantage over most of them (admittedly, weak as hell, though.)

Point is, it's alright to not train or fight. But he tells everyone he does. To me, that's a liar, I don't care how much equipment you own (my wife actually paid for a custom made mouthpiece at the dentists for him, ha ha.) Am I being too critical?

I don't think you're being too critical. I mean, if he doesn't mess with people, then I would say that there is no reason for him to go spar with someone if he doesn't want to. If you see him acting tough when he won't back it up, I would call him out on it. From what you said, he won't have an excuse to get out of it without admitting that he is not as tough as he acts.

you're not being too critical. sounds like he's spoon fed. just because you hit mits and train with people who don't actually fight and you yourself don't actually you should go around stating you train and fight. I don't train nor do I fight and I don't say I do. My suggestion is to drive him to a park and put on gloves and go at it. If he doesn't want to take him to the ground... don't hit him though. just pin him there and get him all upset and what not. Then when he swings you let go and show him what fighting is.

To the OP, yes you are.

You are simply comparing his life to yours when you were his age and that is not fair. So he happens to come from a well-off family. That's ok.

If I were you, I would become his best friend and hopefully receive some benefits whether it be financial or in the form of gifts. There is no need for you to be on his and his grandmas's bad side. Don't rock the boat. You may need him more than you think later on in life.

Archived